Fitchburg water chief seeks rate hike - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

City councilors will be asked to approve a water-rate hike during tonight's Finance Committee hearing Denis Meunier, director of the Water Department, plans to ask the Finance Committee to approve an immediate increase to water rates and fees, which Meunier said will cost the average Fitchburg homeowner about $50 more annually for water.
Comments
1 - 20 of 74 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
resident

Gardner, MA

#1 Nov 10, 2009
The director of the water department needs his job cut. so he know how if feels to struggle in these tough ecommic time...TIME TO GO....and to shift the tax burden what company in there right mind wants to come to fitchburg..just keep sticking it to the residents..
LINCOLN STREET

Lowell, MA

#2 Nov 10, 2009
rate hike for what? the water in this city is barely potable, I haven't drank from the tap in my home for 20 years. I bring in water from my inlaws well for drinking. Wong, If your looking for someones job to cut start with this clown
J_in _Ward _1

Brookline, MA

#3 Nov 10, 2009
So we'll shift some taxes away from the businesses but then jack up their water rates. How will this encourage them to come to or stay in Fitchburg?
cab01420

Chestnut Hill, MA

#4 Nov 10, 2009
I wish the mayor all the luck in the world in etting blood from a stone
cab01420

Chestnut Hill, MA

#5 Nov 10, 2009
I wish the mayor all the luck in the world in getting blood from a stone
Amen

AOL

#6 Nov 10, 2009
He should work to get the back payments due. A little effort went a long way in getting thousands of dollars owed to the city. Time to get back to work on that, never mind the easy way out!
mtm

Lynn, MA

#7 Nov 10, 2009
property tax
excise tax
water tax
sewer tax
not being able to get anything for your tax dollar in fitchburg

PRICELESS
Blueboy

Newton Upper Falls, MA

#8 Nov 10, 2009
Amen wrote:
He should work to get the back payments due. A little effort went a long way in getting thousands of dollars owed to the city. Time to get back to work on that, never mind the easy way out!
I agree with 'Amen', Get off your 'butt' and do your job, get out of your office and go after the people who owe the city money.
TOLD YA

Fall River, MA

#9 Nov 10, 2009
You people should have voted for the pizza guy !!
RMT

United States

#10 Nov 10, 2009
TOLD YA wrote:
Why?
Jerk B Huge

United States

#11 Nov 10, 2009
Perfect time for a rate hike! What's next?

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2009/11...
Fitchburg Resident

Revere, MA

#12 Nov 10, 2009
Amen wrote:
I agree with Amen!!!
Nay

Princeton, MA

#13 Nov 10, 2009
It's an absolute diservice to Fitchburg residents to increase the water rates. First of all if the department did it's job all these years and collected the unpaid bills maybe they'd have enough money. Someone should look into exactly who was allowed free water....was it their friends and relatives? Sounds suspicious to me.

Secondly, Fitchburg has a very bad image as it is and what's the point of making stupid useless improvements to the useless Main St trying to attract good people to Fitchburg if you turn around and make the basics too expensive.

Third, way to go...increase rates during the worst recession most of the Fitchburg residents have ever known. Got any idea how many are unemployed right here in Fitchburg? When people have to struggle to make ends meet as it is, being greedy and raising rates will only discourage them from paying at all...and then you are below in the cash flow. I vote to get rid of that guy and not raise our rates.
just me

Windham, NH

#14 Nov 10, 2009
I thought we just had a hike! My bill jumped from $48 to $100! And I have been without a washer for over a year. The 2 of us living there in no way use $100 dollars of water.
Amen

AOL

#15 Nov 10, 2009
TOLD YA wrote:
You are part of the problems... Like you would have known what to do as mayor.
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Nov 10, 2009
It's a hard sell for an increase during these economic times, especially with the water the way it is.
Jerk B Huge

United States

#17 Nov 10, 2009
Jim wrote:
It's a hard sell for an increase during these economic times, especially with the water the way it is.
What's that Jim?...Like jumping into a dirty chlorinated pool with yer mouth open?
Joe Businessman

Windham, NH

#18 Nov 10, 2009
My bill was 1000 for a single family home this year. Paid it, and they spray-painted shut-off h2o 11/2 in front of my house. When I called..they said wash it off yourself. Nice huh?
Real World

Braintree, MA

#19 Nov 10, 2009
just me wrote:
I thought we just had a hike! My bill jumped from $48 to $100! And I have been without a washer for over a year. The 2 of us living there in no way use $100 dollars of water.
That was a sewer rate hike. Two different things completely, thank goodness. Mine jumped about the same too, with only two people in my house.
debee

Maynard, MA

#20 Nov 10, 2009
Just what we need in this town, another increase.
Gosh, my real estate taxes have gone up, the sewer rate and now the water department wants more money too.
Too bad my paycheck isn't keeping pace.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leominster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Fitchburg, MA 3 hr Civil Servant Sup... 39
Man charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend - Sen... (Sep '09) 7 hr Karen 67
Thief grabs cash box at Leominster farm stand 9 hr Karen 3
McKay hosting family barbecue Thu Karen 2
Fitchburg Market Basket workers elated to be back Thu Karen 1
Students, parents get their first look at Fitch... Aug 26 Karen 2
Numbers of homeless increase in region Aug 26 Karen 5
•••

Leominster News Video

•••