Officials: Poverty links smoking, pregnancy in Montachusett area

Feb 3, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Local health officials believe poverty may be the root cause for why 13.2 percent of women in the Montachusett area smoked cigarettes while pregnant, almost twice the state average of 6.7 percent.

Comments
1 - 20 of 53 Comments Last updated Feb 15, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Maybe the most humane thing to do would be to terminate the pregnancy, especially for these poor women who are on Medicaid. We can point out the problems associated with smoking during pregnancy, including premature birth, spontaneous abortion, SIDS and the increased risk of the child being gay. We could offer families 20 free cartons of cigarettes to terminate the pregnancy. The only drawback is that some of these women may continue to get pregnant in order to continue getting free cigs.
dumb it down 4 smokers

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

being poor is no permission to smoke or cause. Trash science like this is a form of information pollution. Flush it its crap.
Word up

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

One lovely 14 year old pregnant girl in Fitchburg was not quoted as saying "Yo biatch I'll quit the cigs but you ain't gonna stop me from smokin crack! It's my body an my baby daddy am real smrt cuz he's 26".
Whoa

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

I am shocked, shocked that poor people make bad decisions. Next thing you'll tell me is that they also have countless children because they can't keep their legs closed or can't figure out how to use a condom.
Jtn

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

No one in my family smokes,get over yourselves
Word up

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Whoa wrote:
I am shocked, shocked that poor people make bad decisions. Next thing you'll tell me is that they also have countless children because they can't keep their legs closed or can't figure out how to use a condom.
Back off shizo. We do no how to use free condoms. We jus blow em up an use em az balloons at are kidz birthday parties Now what you got to say?
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

It is comical listening to some of these self righteous people out here. Many people with money are lazy, many people with jobs are lazy.

This theory that the wealthy deserve their wealth is a work of Disney. Some people are born into opportunity and wealth.

What is the difference between a 40 yr old who doesn't work not one hr a week but collects massive dividends in the area of say $100,000 and that of a 40 yr old who works 50 hrs a week at a plastic factory bringing home after taxes $300 a week?

There are many people who have city and state jobs making $50-$75,000 and do not work even 10 hrs a week of labor ! Are these people exempt from your "laziness" label?
Meme

Chennai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

ho
Meme

Chennai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

I not think US good to not allow poor smokers to be happy. Lots of poor people here in India smoke. I want come to US to work. I will smoke at work. Work easier when smoke. I work at 7-11 and sell Marlboros and make poor people happy. Then I bring family- 8 children, mother, father and wife over to US. All happy and all smoke. More taxes for US. US happy, too.
Word up

Leominster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Lynch wrote:
It is comical listening to some of these self righteous people out here. Many people with money are lazy, many people with jobs are lazy.
This theory that the wealthy deserve their wealth is a work of Disney. Some people are born into opportunity and wealth.
What is the difference between a 40 yr old who doesn't work not one hr a week but collects massive dividends in the area of say $100,000 and that of a 40 yr old who works 50 hrs a week at a plastic factory bringing home after taxes $300 a week?
There are many people who have city and state jobs making $50-$75,000 and do not work even 10 hrs a week of labor ! Are these people exempt from your "laziness" label?
Good points turtle dick, what's the difference between the working people you describe and someone like yourself who doesn't work at all and collects somewhere in the middle?
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Well, cigarettes cost $10.20 a pack. The hourly wage is $9.00 an hr. The less people employed the higher the taxes for the working class. It is simple economics.

But some out here will say that some deserve to bring home $200,000 to 2 Million and that factory workers should be overwhelmed and worked to near death for $7 an hr.

Romney for example went from making 2 million a year to making 20 Million a year. So, lets break this down; did the treasury print an extra 18 million for Romney alone? Or did thousands of Americans receive a pink slip?

They all hide behind the "capitalism" claim. To make matters worse they then have $50,000 a plate diners so they can sit around this table and talk about the need to cut food stamp assistance that is given to those thousands of Americans who they crushed for a profit!

At $50,000 a plate, two Americans could work full time and support their family.

These leaders then hypnotize followers who may earn $50 -$100,000 into thinking that if the state cuts all social services then they will take home more in their checks.

How about lets cut back athletes, the Romneys, Corporations, Actors and many others to earnings of 75% less than they are earning. This will strengthen the economy and it will allow for a better America.

Unfortunately in America we have gone back to the days when few are extremely wealthy and everyone else does all the work and is poor.
Whoa

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Lynch, do you still lick your mom's snatch?
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

I remember the days when as a young kid you could go to a Redsox game with a few dollars on the bureau from chores ect., now you need to earn thousands per week in order to be able to afford such a luxury.

Opportunities have narrowed as a few get wealthy.
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Word up wrote:
<quoted text>Good points turtle dick, what's the difference between the working people you describe and someone like yourself who doesn't work at all and collects somewhere in the middle?
Hello mouth. Well I figure when the cut all the social services then we can all go for your job as we will do it for half of what you are paid! What do you think turtle dick?

You have a comfortable do little work job. Just be happy that you are able to make so much and do so little, OK mouth?
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Whoa wrote:
Do you still get drunk with your mother? What goes on between you two? Hows your wife, I never see her with you, maybe she is getting it from someone else,huh?

Don't forget to tell me when she files for divorce as I don't want to miss that day in court as I will be in the front row laughing at you as they give her your toys! LMAO.

I bet if you said that to my face I would break your nose! Do you think? But then again I guess we will never know because you are a coward!!! LMAO.
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Whoa wrote:
Lets just have a fair one, shall we? Stand up like a man tough guy, you think you can muster up enough courage?

I know from the many years of your mouth that you are all talk. A lot of bark and no bite. You think you are a tough guy, you think you can win a fair one with me then lets do it.
Lynch

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Whoa wrote:
Hello coward! 1st shift now?
Meme

Chennai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Lynch wrote:
Well, cigarettes cost $10.20 a pack. The hourly wage is $9.00 an hr. The less people employed the higher the taxes for the working class. It is simple economics.
But some out here will say that some deserve to bring home $200,000 to 2 Million and that factory workers should be overwhelmed and worked to near death for $7 an hr.
Romney for example went from making 2 million a year to making 20 Million a year. So, lets break this down; did the treasury print an extra 18 million for Romney alone? Or did thousands of Americans receive a pink slip?
They all hide behind the "capitalism" claim. To make matters worse they then have $50,000 a plate diners so they can sit around this table and talk about the need to cut food stamp assistance that is given to those thousands of Americans who they crushed for a profit!
At $50,000 a plate, two Americans could work full time and support their family.
These leaders then hypnotize followers who may earn $50 -$100,000 into thinking that if the state cuts all social services then they will take home more in their checks.
How about lets cut back athletes, the Romneys, Corporations, Actors and many others to earnings of 75% less than they are earning. This will strengthen the economy and it will allow for a better America.
Unfortunately in America we have gone back to the days when few are extremely wealthy and everyone else does all the work and is poor.
My wife help me write now. I will come to US.$9 is good. I can afford $10 cigarettes. I like Marlboro. My wife work too. My brother has US hotel and she will work there. I will work at a 7-11. We will buy a car. A big Ford for all my children to ride in. I will still smoke in the car. This will be in America. No one can tell me not to in my own car. Cigarettes do not hurt children. If they did, lots more children in India would be dead.
Milton Friedman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

So which is the reason you've never worked, Lynch? Is it because you're lazy or are you just protesting capitalism? Gawd, you're such an idiot.
Whoa

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

You never answered my question. Truth hit close to home? Know does she taste?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Leominster News Video

•••
•••

Leominster Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Leominster People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE