Holiday tree causes rift

Holiday tree causes rift

There are 123 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 4, 2007, titled Holiday tree causes rift. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Samoset Middle School Principal Donna M. Pierce said she took down a "giving tree" in the lobby of the school Monday because several people complained of its association with Christmas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

Put it back

Braintree, MA

#21 Dec 4, 2007
I don't for one second blame Ms. Pierce. She was put in a difficult situation and handled it the best that she could- then got the advise of the "up aboves". Now it's time for her to take their advice and put it back up!
Samoaet Parent

Peabody, MA

#22 Dec 4, 2007
I am very saddened by this whole controversy. Our schols should be encouraging giving to those less fortunate. Also this country was built on Christian values.
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#23 Dec 4, 2007
I bet if it was a "money" Christmas Tree that no one would be complaining.
MERRY CHRISTMAS and GOD BLESS, if someone is offended by that then maybe they should consider relocating to another part of the world and see if they get their way there. Stupid inconsiderate people.

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!
Bob

AOL

#24 Dec 4, 2007
Put the tree back up enough of this politicaly correct b.s. if you don't like it how about moving I hear Iraq is nice this time of year.
ME GILBERT

United States

#25 Dec 4, 2007
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!! GROW-UP. DOES MS. PIERCE HAVE NO SPINE, PUT THE TREE BACK UP IF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE TO BAD!! FIRST THEY'RE TRYING TO PUSH "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" INSTEAD OF MERRY CHRISTMAS, NOW YOU CAN'T HAVE A GIVING TREE. GET REAL.
Lunenburg Resident

Boston, MA

#26 Dec 4, 2007
I'm happy to see the reactions to this situation. The people who are compaining about the tree are quick to take Christmas off and celebrate around their own Christmas tree, but if we DARE show a tree in public, the same people are all over it. They find my holiday offensive, because it infringes on THEIR rights, but at the same time they feel it's ok to screw over MY rights in the process. Christmas is a happy, positive, joyous holiday. There is so many awful things happening in the world, and people spend their time and energy fighting about something good.
Atheistsgohome

Alpine, NJ

#27 Dec 4, 2007
They took a tree down because of 6 peope...cho cares, leave it up
BBz

Lawrence, MA

#28 Dec 4, 2007
Im SAD :( Im sad for my child , Im sad for this town, Im sad for this world
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
Paul

AOL

#29 Dec 4, 2007
The city should not cave in to these dopes. enough is enough. Unbelieveable. Wouldn't you just love to know who these idiots are that are complaining. Is this still America?
Don't cave Mayor Mazarella, just say THE TREE STAYS. If they don't like it, leave.
ELAINE LUNENBURG

Rumford, RI

#30 Dec 4, 2007
THERE ARE PLANES,BOATS,TRAINS AND BUSES OUT OF THE COUNTRY AND SINCE WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A FREE COUNTRY, YOU ARE FREE TO LEAVE ANY TIME IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY THINGS ARE HERE
Fitchburg Native

Plainville, CT

#31 Dec 4, 2007
"Oh Christmas Tree"
1. O Christmas tree. O Christmas tree,
Thou tree most fair and lovely.
O Christmas tree. O Christmas tree,
The sight of thee at Christmas-tide
Spreads hope and gladness far and wide.

2. O Christmas tree. O Christmas tree,
Thou hast a wondrous message.
Thou dost proclaim the Savior's birth,
Good will to men and peace on earth.

3. O Christmas tree. O Christmas tree,
You glow with Christmas brightness.
We sing with joyful lightness.
The radiance of this happy night,
To all of us gives hope and light,
You glow with Christmas brightness.
debee622

Fitchburg, MA

#32 Dec 4, 2007
The USA is still a predominantly CHRISTIAN COUNTRY and most of us, still celebrate Christmas. I don't stop anyone from celebrating their individual holidays and I'm so tired of people having to cave into these "scrooges" who get offended every time we want to have a holiday display.
Put what you want up at your house but let the majority of us Christians celebrate the holidays.
This country was founded by people seeking religious freedom. When are we going to stand up to these people who are trying to rob us of our traditions and values by saying it's "offensive."
Maybe they ought to relocate to some other countries where naming a teddy bear is a reason to be put in jail!
BDN

Bolton, MA

#33 Dec 4, 2007
I don't make unreasonable demands on other people but when they start to encroach on my limits of tolerance I have to draw the line somewhere. Christmas and the celebration thereof has been a tradition in this country scince the late 1600's. If someone is offended by any display of Christmas decorations thats too bad. Your intolerance OFFENDS ME !!! I am sure there are a lot of others who feel as I do. I have no problem with other's beliefs, or even if they have none.
What is your F#$%@ problem with Christmas??? Leave the season alone !!!!
geezer

Bolton, MA

#34 Dec 4, 2007
GOD bless us ALL, MERRY CHRISTMAS to EVERYONE!!! If you are OFFENDED by this go call that bunch of commies at the aclu!!! I have had about enough of the inane bullcrap out of the un-Americn losers trying to dismantle the United State of America and turning it into a bed of total anarchy!!!!

Since: Nov 07

the dirty burg

#35 Dec 4, 2007
I don't get it. What is so offensive about a tree? What does a tree have to do with religion?!? I'm agnostic and people celebrating holidays is NOT offensive. The people who claim this is offensive are miserable losers who just want to whine and bring attention to themselves.

Since: Nov 07

Cambridge, MA

#36 Dec 4, 2007
Why am I not surprised? This is consistent with the mission of government controlled education camps (schools). Scrub all vestiges of our christian heritage from the minds of those 'adorable' children.

Since the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, christians have been the chief source of helps and mercy to the entire world. You can look at Pope Gregory's agricultural program in Rome to feed the poor, to Mercy ships which provides lifesaving surgery to the third world poor, to Katrina (most of the help then and now is through the church) and even to the help that was poured out to Muslim Indonesia after the Tsunami. Yet somehow these parents, these moral geniuses, wish to stifle any expression of religious compassion. This my friends is the future of post-christian America.
Typical

Fitchburg, MA

#37 Dec 4, 2007
Why do we tolerate intolerance? Instead of asking for their traditions and holidays to be represented, those who complained called for the removal of a symbol of joy and delight for many people. That shows a severe intolerance for the Christian community. People of all walks of life should defend the Christian community's right to celebrate their traditions and holidays openly and freely, as they should support and defend the rights of any and every other community. Because the Christian holiday of Christmas is so widely celebrated in our country, we should be ashamed of it?
Shirley mother

Princeton, MA

#38 Dec 4, 2007
What a sad world we live in when a few people can make a principal of a school feel that she must take down a giving tree. Who works at the school? Why are they so offended? Yes I know it's a Christmas Tree with the purpose of spreading joy to families who can not have a Christmas meal and gifts for their children. Did you ever watch the news and hear terrible things and think, what is going on, people are crazy? This is where is starts and these people are teaching your children. Scary isn't it?
Peace on earth
Irritated by ignorance

Brookline, MA

#39 Dec 4, 2007
I am not a particularly religious person, personally I am atheist. I would never judge someone on their individual beliefs. I actually believe that if believing in religion and god is going to make you a better person, then go for it. I do not preach my beliefs. I believe that everyone has a right to believe in whatever they want (the church of fonzie?)... As far as I've ever remembered, a christmas tree brought joy and happiness.. never was it a political or offensive statement to me or my family, friends and many many acquaintances. Do people seriously have nothing BETTER to do than ruin everything good in this world? I say live and let live... Get a grip people...
Playing devils advocate

Wayland, MA

#40 Dec 4, 2007
But couldn't there be a way to promote charity without having a tree that is so clearly associated with Christmas? I wholeheartedly agree that the intent of this tree--charity--is laudable, and that the school should continue to collect and donate the items. Charity isn't just a Christian concept, obviously. I imagine it's also a major tenet of Judaism and Islam. BUT the Christmas tree is a symbol of Christmas, and Christmas alone. I understand it's hard to find it offensive if you're used to being in the majority, and have never gone a December without a Christmas tree ... but someone who's a minority (Jewish, Muslim, Hindu) could feel marginalized by the tree, since it excludes their holiday, and could even feel discouraged from giving.
The complainers are not Grinch-like, as Lee wrote. They are just trying to be sensitive to the people in the school community.
I am sure that NO ONE was suggesting the charity itself stop.... just the use of a Christmas tree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leominster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
111 Mason rd in jefferson/Holden ma is Aiden Ke... Thu Scanner Boy 24
Fitchburg motorcycle cops Wed Andrew 41
discussing fitchburg now enabling people who th... Wed Andrew 22
Lynch's Council Campaign Wed Andrew 20
It's Hot!.........How will Lynch keep cool? Jun 20 Lynchburg Lemonade 2
Another Monday Gone. Jun 19 Captain Crunch 23
News Gardner homeless man charged with attempted mur... (Apr '09) Jun 17 6rounds 17

Leominster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Leominster Mortgages