Holiday tree causes rift

Holiday tree causes rift

There are 123 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 4, 2007, titled Holiday tree causes rift. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Samoset Middle School Principal Donna M. Pierce said she took down a "giving tree" in the lobby of the school Monday because several people complained of its association with Christmas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Dec 4, 2007
Ok, this is just plain stupid. Christmas is not being forced on anyone. Thiss country is based on GOD, get over it. Believe what you want to believe, don't try to take away what I believe in, because you are "offended", you people are pathetic.
Lunenburg Resident

Boston, MA

#2 Dec 4, 2007
Give me a break!! They are trying to do something wonderful for the community, and people can't see past the tree to see the wonderful thing the school is doing. If you don't celebrate Christmas, that's fine, but don't ruin it for those who do. I'm betting that some of the people who complain (within the US, not just around here), probably exchange gifts on Christmas even though they don't "believe". I really wish Christmas would go back to being something beautiful and wonderful, instead of a constant controversy. It's become more about buying big screen tv's.
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3 Dec 4, 2007
It couldn't have been said any better! Here, here!
Pauline

Dunnellon, FL

#4 Dec 4, 2007
Shame on those hard hearted people...I think that it is sad and so very pathetic that the "giving tree" has to be removed because it offends someone. Are they against God or charity? This is a free country and was formed on the principles of freedoms and anyone can or choose not to believe in any belief they have concerning religion or politics...But no matter What or Who one believes in should not have a bearing on charity...Too bad these people who complained don't need hats or mittens for themselves or for their children to keep warm this winter..Maybe then they would look at this a little differently. Like it or not the reason for the season is Jesus...Show a little love and charity.
Fed Up With Massachusetts

Balmorhea, TX

#5 Dec 4, 2007
I hope that no needy child goes without mittens simply because a few so-called adults wish to make a political statement. Let children enjoy the Christmas spirit in school. For those who claim to be offended, lighten up! If you would like your religion accomodated bring in a symbol of your religion and I'm sure the principal will display it as well. Please, I beg you, don't spoil it for the children.
truffles

Worcester, MA

#6 Dec 4, 2007
I believe the origin of the christmas tree dates back to pagan celebrations. If this be so, let it stand as it means many things to many people. It is more a part of tradition than anything else. Let the tree stand as a symbol of kindness and charity. Some people are too quick to take offense-imagine being offended by a tree. Small and silly!!
Bob

United States

#7 Dec 4, 2007
Why not hang a sign on the front of the school "Christians need not attend"! This principal wants to be "inclussive" but is not afraid of excluding any Christians! I'm disgusted that this is happening in Leominster and I'll be forwarding this story along to the Catholic League as well as the "real media" that will put a national spotlight on Ms. Pierce.
Tim

Melbourne, FL

#8 Dec 4, 2007
That is quite ridiculous. Put up a shiny metal pole. It will be the festivus pole.
MMM

United States

#9 Dec 4, 2007
So let me get this straight. Did the people that complained have something they want to contribute to represent their believes? I don't understand why we cater to these people. Leave the tree let them add something if they have a problem. They won't add anything they just know they can push the schools around. And by the way these people shouldn't go to the mall or go downstown theres trees there also. scarrrrryyyyyyy.
Daisy

Boston, MA

#10 Dec 4, 2007
I agree that the tree should have remained. It is not offensive. What is offensive is their taking it down for those who it means something. Maybe those who complained could have brought something into the display to represent their religion but dont take away mine. Im so tired of this BS. I am offended that we cannot celebrate Christmas the way we want.
Real world

Peabody, MA

#11 Dec 4, 2007
no spine, no backbone, that is disgusting....
Why don't we keep school in session, everyone go to work and let the Catholics stay home and celebrate Christmas.
Suddenly everyone will want to celebrate "Christmas."
Suzanne

Austin, TX

#12 Dec 4, 2007
i'm curious if Ms. Pierce asked the complainers what exactly they found offensive about the spirit of Christmas or the spirit of charity & giving, or whether she deemed it politically incorrect to do so.

I do not celebrate Hanukkah, but can't imagine being offended by a Menorah on display, or asking that it be removed because it does not represent me personnaly.

How petty and self-serving can people get!

The fact that Ms. Pierce immediately accomodated these requests without any logical reason (except that she was apparently afraid not to) is what is offensive to me.

Kelly

United States

#13 Dec 4, 2007
I totally agree with Suzanne. I am Christian yet I don't find the traditions of Hanukkah or Kwanzaa insulting. In fact, if more people who celebrate other holidays want to be involved and perhaps donate their time to setup displays of other faiths and traditions, then STEP ON FORWARD! I'm so tired of people saying "oh, we might offend someone". "BULL"-oney!

PUT UP THE TREE! This is for a charity that benefits children!
sec94th

Natick, MA

#14 Dec 4, 2007
Given the feedback by readers (and the general population actually)why, just why do we keep on caving in to these bitter, surly, pathetic excuses of the human race?!
Somewhere this political correctness has to cease! As a matter of fact, this isn't even politically correct any longer. Others will suffer as a result of the removal of this "giving tree".
When will someone in a leadership position develop the spine to challenge these knuckleheads?
Jack

United States

#15 Dec 4, 2007
Lets take down the woods too. And when valentines day comes around...I swear if I see that cupid I'll shoot it down without warning. I'm single and I find offense that that thing will try and shoot me with one of those love arrows! Baaaaa humbug! Heck sue everybody then!!! It's time we all just sit and look at our walls, and have no appreciation for any diversity! Well time for lunch...I hope I don't offend anyone that's vegetarian, but I'm thinking of having ham.
dick

Brookline, MA

#16 Dec 4, 2007
Its not a giving tree...can we ALL say "CHRISTMAS TREE? This is still the United States of America! If you don't believe in Christmas, thats tough. You can all go to school on December 25 and not take that day off. We are so sick of you people who want to change OUR ways of life. You never heard this s--- 20 years ago. You people, yes I said "you people" should get a real life instead of trying to change our lives.You are so politically correct that its sickening. Who are you? Why are you always running to the biased press? Come on out...let us see who you are. Lighten up, Christmas is for all kids.
Concerned

Clinton, MA

#17 Dec 4, 2007
What about the little boy or girl that attends that school whose parent is overseas fighting for this country during this "holiday" season? Why do we constantly sweat the small stuff? I'm not necessarily Pro or Against the War...it's just life and this scenario exists in thousands of schools around the country. Think about those sad children wishing that their Mommy or Daddy were home...
Stop worrying about a tree...please?.?.?
Shannon

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#18 Dec 4, 2007
Tim wrote:
That is quite ridiculous. Put up a shiny metal pole. It will be the festivus pole.
HA HA HA HA HA....too funny! Festive pole, I'm sure someone will find some reason to be offended.
Leominster Parent

Sherborn, MA

#19 Dec 4, 2007
Shame, shame, shame on every parent and teacher who complained about that tree! The basic idea was for a children's charity! Where does all this selfishness stop? The world does not revolve around these chronic complainers, so why cater to them? Shame on Ms. Pierce for letting a select few influence her. These people ought to be ashamed of themselves. Put the tree back up, it is the right thing to do!!!!
Lee

Cambridge, MA

#20 Dec 4, 2007
Keep the tree and the spirit of Christmas - get rid of the Grinch-like complainers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leominster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Concerned Fitchburg residents get tour of propo... 1 hr Bill 8
News Fitchburg fire chief and firefighters honored T... 1 hr Bill 6
Help Feed Our Community (HFOC) 7 hr Tami 1
Fitchburgs corruption being exposed (Feb '16) 9 hr Fat Stevie 85
Uncle Remus 11 hr Irvine 1
News Fitchburg man and Worcester woman pronounced de... (Jul '10) Mon Mom to Tom 27
Smitty Mon Jim 1

Leominster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Leominster Mortgages