Pittsfield author Kevin O'Hara recalls his journey around Ireland with Missie

Mar 10, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MassLive.com

Years ago, when I was trekking around Ireland with my donkey, Missie, we were ambushed on the outskirts of Clonakilty, West Cork, by a young lad riding an old bicycle, his blue eyes agleam.

Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Mar 17, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sal

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

I love his books, I have read both of them! Great author! With local roots
Jones

North Adams, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

sal wrote:
I love his books, I have read both of them! Great author! With local roots
He is a good writer. I met him while i was a patient on Jones. I enjoy his books so much.
sal

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Jones wrote:
<quoted text>He is a good writer. I met him while i was a patient on Jones. I enjoy his books so much.
Me too! I liked the 2nd one with all the local history! He is so real!
sal

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

sal wrote:
<quoted text>Me too! I liked the 2nd one with all the local history! He is so real!
I new he worked at BMC just wasn't sure in what capacity!
Come on

Red Hook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Come on Kevin- How much mileage can you get about dragging your ass around Ireland with Missie - an Ass.
You fail to mention how much mileage the locals in Ireland get out of you and your ass. I would like to say they are laughing with you, but it is hardly the case.
Your donkey tales do little, but 'be little' the Irish and fail to acknowledge the real heart of the land and it's people. Instead, your tales live off the corney fairy tale of Ireland most Americans love to hold on to. A fairy tale of leprechauns and pots if gold at the end if a rainbow.
Why not write something of real substance about a nation with a history of 900 hundred years war making great strives towards peace. A nation which has had two female presidents.( Something yet to take place in the US) A country with a rich literary history with the likes of Joyce, Yeats, Beckett, O'Casey, Seamus Heany, and the list goes on,
Only in Pittsfield could someone become a celeberty from ' Donkey Pilgrimages' because in Ireland you have only made an Ass out of yourself.
If you are proud to be Irish Kevin, start writing and acting like the rest of the real Irish folk- With a brain, substantive character and a view that may in some way reflect life in Ireland.
then again

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Come on wrote:
Come on Kevin- How much mileage can you get about dragging your ass around Ireland with Missie - an Ass.
You fail to mention how much mileage the locals in Ireland get out of you and your ass. I would like to say they are laughing with you, but it is hardly the case.
Your donkey tales do little, but 'be little' the Irish and fail to acknowledge the real heart of the land and it's people. Instead, your tales live off the corney fairy tale of Ireland most Americans love to hold on to. A fairy tale of leprechauns and pots if gold at the end if a rainbow.
Why not write something of real substance about a nation with a history of 900 hundred years war making great strives towards peace. A nation which has had two female presidents.( Something yet to take place in the US) A country with a rich literary history with the likes of Joyce, Yeats, Beckett, O'Casey, Seamus Heany, and the list goes on,
Only in Pittsfield could someone become a celeberty from ' Donkey Pilgrimages' because in Ireland you have only made an Ass out of yourself.
If you are proud to be Irish Kevin, start writing and acting like the rest of the real Irish folk- With a brain, substantive character and a view that may in some way reflect life in Ireland.
Speaking of asses....you play the part rather well yourself. The man, being from a free country, can write about that which he wishes. And you, can write about Joyce and Yeats and O'Casey if you so choose. It is not a hard concept to grasp if you really think about it.
BoBo

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Obviously a true idiot. He knows nothing about Kevin or about being Irish. What a googan.
Come on BoBo

Florence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

BoBo wrote:
Obviously a true idiot. He knows nothing about Kevin or about being Irish. What a googan.
BOBO- What you say is true and never in my post did I say he could not write his tales of a Donkey. If someone wants to write tales of dragging a Donkey around Ireland they have the right to do so. However, readers also have the right to respond to a book, you clearly miss the point in my post. I too have the freedom of speech to write my opinion in response to Kevin's book, even if my opinion offends you and is not to your pleasure. That is how Free speech works!

Oh and by the way, since when is it necessary to know an author in order to make a comment on their book? Your comment,'He knows nothing about Kevin' perplexes me and would lead one to believe that one can only write their response/opinion about a book, if they happen to know the author. A strange and limiting notion indeed which I happen to again disagree with.( I am sorry if this offends you, but it is within my rights, as you so clearly point out)

Good luck and have a wonderful fun filled day my friend
Come on

Florence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

then again wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of asses....you play the part rather well yourself. The man, being from a free country, can write about that which he wishes. And you, can write about Joyce and Yeats and O'Casey if you so choose. It is not a hard concept to grasp if you really think about it.
No not a hard concept to grasp, but the simple act of exercising my rights seems to be of great irritation to you. Sorry my friend, and as you point out I am only exercising my rights in responding to Kevin's book.

Have a wonderful day!
sal

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Come on BoBo wrote:
<quoted text>BOBO- What you say is true and never in my post did I say he could not write his tales of a Donkey. If someone wants to write tales of dragging a Donkey around Ireland they have the right to do so. However, readers also have the right to respond to a book, you clearly miss the point in my post. I too have the freedom of speech to write my opinion in response to Kevin's book, even if my opinion offends you and is not to your pleasure. That is how Free speech works!

Oh and by the way, since when is it necessary to know an author in order to make a comment on their book? Your comment,'He knows nothing about Kevin' perplexes me and would lead one to believe that one can only write their response/opinion about a book, if they happen to know the author. A strange and limiting notion indeed which I happen to again disagree with.( I am sorry if this offends you, but it is within my rights, as you so clearly point out)

Good luck and have a wonderful fun filled day my friend
Your entitled to your opinion, in reading this book, I admired Kevin for taking the time to pull himself back together after serving our country in Vietnam, far to many of our veterans came back to a country unsupportive of them and the war! I admire the personnel healing that took place while taking in the beauty of his family's homeland!
BoBo

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Come On- You know what you can do with your opinion. Go find somewhere esle to provide it.Or better yet, try writing a book.
lucky charms

Housatonic, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

sal wrote:
<quoted text> Your entitled to your opinion, in reading this book, I admired Kevin for taking the time to pull himself back together after serving our country in Vietnam, far to many of our veterans came back to a country unsupportive of them and the war! I admire the personnel healing that took place while taking in the beauty of his family's homeland!
Well, by now he should be ok. He made a career in the psych ward.
Come on

Enfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

sal wrote:
<quoted text> Your entitled to your opinion, in reading this book, I admired Kevin for taking the time to pull himself back together after serving our country in Vietnam, far to many of our veterans came back to a country unsupportive of them and the war! I admire the personnel healing that took place while taking in the beauty of his family's homeland!
Yes, Kevin deserves due credit for being a veteran and putting his life together after his experiences in the Vietnam. All admirable stuff. I thank you for your opinion, your valid points, and willingness to consider another's opinion even if you do not agree with it.
Come on

Enfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

BoBo wrote:
Come On- You know what you can do with your opinion. Go find somewhere esle to provide it.Or better yet, try writing a book.
BoBo is all upset because someone does not agree with him. So now he has taken his ball home and won't let anyone else play unless of course- they all agree with him and only say what he wants to hear.

PS- BoBo I have written a book, but I fear it is way beyond you.,Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
BoBo

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

We aren't talking about "Dick and Jane". If you wrote a book, be proud of it tell us the title.
Wanabee Authoress

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

I never wrote a book. Hell it has been many years since I have read a book. I have however touched one at a tag sale and it felt good. Perhaps one day I will write a book about Topix and all the dim bulbs on it. I will probably start with chapter one like some other authors. Oh my, should I go with the paper back version or the hard cover? So much to figger about. Well my head is starting to hurt from all the confusion about the cover and chapter numbers so I am going to lie down and take a nap.
crane lifer

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Wanabee Authoress wrote:
I never wrote a book. Hell it has been many years since I have read a book. I have however touched one at a tag sale and it felt good. Perhaps one day I will write a book about Topix and all the dim bulbs on it. I will probably start with chapter one like some other authors. Oh my, should I go with the paper back version or the hard cover? So much to figger about. Well my head is starting to hurt from all the confusion about the cover and chapter numbers so I am going to lie down and take a nap.
I have read both books and thought they were pretty decent.Happy St. Paddys day to all you hooligans out there, meanwhile I think I will enjoy a 7 course Irish meal tonite , 6 Beers & 1 boiled potato.
sal

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

crane lifer wrote:
<quoted text>I have read both books and thought they were pretty decent.Happy St. Paddys day to all you hooligans out there, meanwhile I think I will enjoy a 7 course Irish meal tonite , 6 Beers & 1 boiled potato.
Haha!
Long Green Pecker

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

crane lifer wrote:
<quoted text>I have read both books and thought they were pretty decent.Happy St. Paddys day to all you hooligans out there, meanwhile I think I will enjoy a 7 course Irish meal tonite , 6 Beers & 1 boiled potato.
Whadda bigot. My Irish grandmother can down more than 6 and she has had a section of her gut removed as well as part of her liver. Tuff old bitch she is.
crane lifer

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Long Green Pecker wrote:
<quoted text>
Whadda bigot. My Irish grandmother can down more than 6 and she has had a section of her gut removed as well as part of her liver. Tuff old bitch she is.
No bigotry here small green pecker ooppps I mean long green pecker as I am irish myself and its a fact the irish like to drink , myself there is only two times I will drink ,when I am alone or with somebody.So have a nice day and stop talking shit about your grandmother cause she would probably kick your ass if she knew you were calling her a bitch. God bless her.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Lenox Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Lenox Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Lenox People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE