Police: Teacher bought alcohol n The ...

Police: Teacher bought alcohol n The ex-Lee educator was charged wi...

There are 156 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jun 16, 2010, titled Police: Teacher bought alcohol n The ex-Lee educator was charged wi.... In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

A former high school Spanish teacher was charged with giving alcohol to underage students on two occasions this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
UseYourHead

Festus, MO

#1 Jun 16, 2010
The students are considered "victims"? Oh, God help us all. Idiot.
Reliable

Pittsfield, MA

#5 Jun 17, 2010
When I was 18 that was the legal drinking age. They bumped it back up to 21 because kids were drinking and driving.

At 18, kids can vote. They can enlist, go to Iraq or Afghanistan, shoot at and kill the opposition. Plus, they can drink there. We approve of that.

But at 18, if they have a beer, glass of wine, or any other drink, that's a crime.

Yet, any of us that think the majority of this 18+ group don't drink before 21, are lying to ourselves.

Charles Dickens said, "The law is an ass." I'd suggest that this law was certainly written by a bunch of them.

I don't condone what this teacher did. Yes, it was wrong. But it's time we reexamine the 21 year age for drinking. It's not right.
Reliable

Pittsfield, MA

#6 Jun 17, 2010
Ahhh, a quote from Dickens using the word A -$-$ is censored. Thank gawd my innocent mind is protected!!!!! Tell me things like this don't just prove the point of my original post!
USA

East Woodstock, CT

#7 Jun 17, 2010
Sounds like the same scenario that occurred in Adams a few years ago, Spanish teacher giving a party and supplying alcohol.
disgusted

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Jun 17, 2010
does anyone remember Pamela Smart - the police might want to keep an eye on the "loved ones" of this woman. There has to be soon reason for her to do such a stupid thing. I certainly hope that they pull her teaching certification.

Since: Aug 08

Gansevoort, NY

#9 Jun 17, 2010
USA wrote:
Sounds like the same scenario that occurred in Adams a few years ago, Spanish teacher giving a party and supplying alcohol.
...and in south county (Gt. Barrington) years ago...must be something about Spanish teachers??

BTW - I agree that 18 year olds SHOULD be able to drink alcohol...if they can fight for their country, they should be allowed to drink in it too!
Indigo

Cranberry Twp, PA

#12 Jun 17, 2010
USA wrote:
Must have something to do with Spanish teachers. Our spanish teacher from 30 years ago did the same thing.
Lou Reed

Queensbury, NY

#13 Jun 17, 2010
Did she solicit prostitution from a minor? No, but we got every gory detail of her transgressions. A bit of inequity, I think, by the Eagle in this case and that of another well known person in Berkshire County.
Another View

East Woodstock, CT

#15 Jun 17, 2010
Reliable wrote:
When I was 18 that was the legal drinking age. They bumped it back up to 21 because kids were drinking and driving.
At 18, kids can vote. They can enlist, go to Iraq or Afghanistan, shoot at and kill the opposition. Plus, they can drink there. We approve of that.
But at 18, if they have a beer, glass of wine, or any other drink, that's a crime.
Yet, any of us that think the majority of this 18+ group don't drink before 21, are lying to ourselves.
Charles Dickens said, "The law is an ****." I'd suggest that this law was certainly written by a bunch of them.
I don't condone what this teacher did. Yes, it was wrong. But it's time we reexamine the 21 year age for drinking. It's not right.
When the drinking age was raised to 21, deaths among teens greatly declined. Let's suppose however the drinking age was lowered to 18. When the situation occurs (and it will) where a 15, 16 or 17 year old is drinking alcohol, will we all say "Yet, any of us that think the majority of this 15+ group don't drink before 18, are lying to ourselves." So then what, lower the drinking age to 15?

I understand your point, however where will it end? If the drinking age is 18 someone will be yelling that a child can get a driver's license at 17 and drive across the country but can't sit in their home and have a beer. They can quit school at 16 but can't have a beer (and so on and so on)
Phillie Phanatic

Easthampton, MA

#17 Jun 17, 2010
Reliable wrote:
Charles Dickens said, "The law is an ****." I'd suggest that this law was certainly written by a bunch of them.
The above must have been written by whoever slipped a beer to that kid at Citizens Bank Park a few weeks back. lol
And yet another thought

Wilmington, MA

#18 Jun 17, 2010
Another View wrote:
<quoted text>
When the drinking age was raised to 21, deaths among teens greatly declined. Let's suppose however the drinking age was lowered to 18. When the situation occurs (and it will) where a 15, 16 or 17 year old is drinking alcohol, will we all say "Yet, any of us that think the majority of this 15+ group don't drink before 18, are lying to ourselves." So then what, lower the drinking age to 15?
I understand your point, however where will it end? If the drinking age is 18 someone will be yelling that a child can get a driver's license at 17 and drive across the country but can't sit in their home and have a beer. They can quit school at 16 but can't have a beer (and so on and so on)
Maybe we should eliminate the drinking age completely and teach RESPONSIBILITY. The kids are told, "No you can't, not until you're of age", yet no one teaches them WHAT the right thing to do is. The European countries do not have a drinking age minimum and their people respect the bottle. It goes with everything else, the more you make it Taboo, the more the kids are going to want it. Maybe if it wasn't a challenge to get it at 15, 16 or 20, they wouldn't care. They'd walk away quicker.
amazed

Watervliet, NY

#19 Jun 17, 2010
she should be harshly punished. She is a teacher and holds a position of authority and should have conducted herself appropriately. It disgusts me that somone who is responsible for teaching our children would put herself in that predicament, on more than one occassion. They are under 21...it is against the law....period! What in the world was going through her mind??? It makes me cringe to think of what other lapses in judgment this 42 year old grown woman who should not be hanging out with teenagers in the first place has been involved in.
lovetheeagle

Lenox, MA

#21 Jun 17, 2010
where is #16. The Berkshire Eagle today's news 3 months later! Heard this story couple months back. Good job guys!
Sick of scum in our city

East Otis, MA

#22 Jun 17, 2010
She's old enough to be their mother! A normal 42 year old woman wouldn't hang out with a bunch of teens unless she had an ulterior motive. I'm sure there's much more to this story.
caring

Delta, OH

#23 Jun 17, 2010
The law is the law...the teacher was an idiot. Now her life is ruined. Real smart.
Regardless of what she did, I think they should make the legal age 21 for drinking, driving, voting etc.
Gt Barrington MA

Northville, NY

#24 Jun 17, 2010
UseYourHead wrote:
The students are considered "victims"? Oh, God help us all. Idiot.
"Victims", Absoultely they are victims! This is insantity to say the least. This teacher had the morale obligation and responsibility to uphold the law and be a role model. She is disgusting and this is a deplorable act of selfishiness with no regard to her students, their parents, school or the LAW! She clearly should have thought of the repercussions of her actions. Her license should be suspended forever! She didn't think.
OMG - Yes

Auburn, MA

#26 Jun 17, 2010
Sick of scum in our city wrote:
She's old enough to be their mother! A normal 42 year old woman wouldn't hang out with a bunch of teens unless she had an ulterior motive. I'm sure there's much more to this story.
I think she is and has a HS aged son.. ewww. Not sure about the other (Eagle) unreported allegations flying around here, but I sincerely hope they are just unfounded rumors.
Sad

Monterey, MA

#27 Jun 17, 2010
saying these students are victoms is a little much, they all agreed to go and meet this teacher and whatever else may have happened, to be honest this is the least of our worries in what teenage kids are doing. alcohol is a minor problem compared to all the other drugs circulating in the schools...as a recent graduate of lee high I will tell you that this teacher was one of the best teachers I had in school, not only was she intelligent and good at what she did but she was a great role model, and helped all of us when needed. unfortunately something happened and changed her ways....maybe the school should worry about how they will replace such a good teacher.
Very Sad

Schenectady, NY

#28 Jun 17, 2010
This whole situation is sad. For her family especially. The "victims" would have found another way to obtain alcohol if they had wanted it and she didn't supply it.

Sad for the students that did look up to her and sad that the story is published now during finals for the Lee students.

I don't wish her ill, I hope she gets the help she needs. I always liked her.
Gt Barrington MA

Northville, NY

#29 Jun 17, 2010
There have been subsequent rumors flying around for some time now. The kids have been a feeding frenzy of rumors and many of them have substantiated evidence. Why was The Eagle and Police Investigator's so lenient with the information when they normally are so diligient coming forth? What's up with that? Sex, Drugs & Alcohol. Reporting left out? Disgusted as usual!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pittsfield police plead for answers in fatal sh... 55 min hmmmm 27
Is AIPAC,Israel, and Washington Jeopardizing Am... (Aug '13) 5 hr The Worlds Bigges... 48
News 2nd Pittsfield liquor store held up in 3 days 22 hr The Worlds Bigges... 7
News Lifelong friends of Asiyanna Jones: `There will... 23 hr Bernhard Goetz 8
News Youths feel the money crunch (Oct '08) Mon Welcome to the Ju... 35
JOHN KROL. The TAX INCREASE City Councilor (Jun '11) Mon Cops are Sociopaths 112
News Former Eagleton School staff member won't go to... Mon Cops are Sociopaths 5

Lenox Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lenox Mortgages