Sports Mom

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Does anyone know or have any information on any travel teams in the area that are needing a player? My son played last year for a travel team but he played little league this year which that coach wouldn't allow players to do both. Now little league is winding down and after all stars we would like for him to join a travel team. He is 11 years old, can play almost any spot except hasn't hind catched. Any info would be appreciated.
Hank Aarron

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Call Jason Hair at the Shaire Center Nursing home. He has a team, same age group I think.

If not, he can advise you further.

Good Luck
Caldwell Father

Clayton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Who did he play for last year? There are several travel (USSSA) teams his age. Post 29 has a team his age, you would contact Gary Hamby at LogoStitch to get info. He coaches the Post 29 team so they are a pretty good option. Dont know who coaches your sons age group.
Hank Aarron

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

I pretty sure Jason's team is U-Trip also.

Is Logo Stitch still in Buisness? They done some work for me a few yrs back (Located on Old Lenoir rd in Hky), and the building is closed now. Or, did they just move to another location?

Thanks
Caldwell Father

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Hank Aarron wrote:
I pretty sure Jason's team is U-Trip also.
Is Logo Stitch still in Buisness? They done some work for me a few yrs back (Located on Old Lenoir rd in Hky), and the building is closed now. Or, did they just move to another location?
Thanks
They moved north on 321 to Hudson, just before Food Lion.
Rat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

I was thinking Jason's team is younger.
USSSA has a really good web site. You can search for a team there.

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Team1.asp...

Hope that helps.
Rat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

The Caldwell Twisters out of Lenoir has several kids on their roster that I am familiar with. Look in the AA classification.
Decision

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Sports Mom wrote:
Does anyone know or have any information on any travel teams in the area that are needing a player? My son played last year for a travel team but he played little league this year which that coach wouldn't allow players to do both. Now little league is winding down and after all stars we would like for him to join a travel team. He is 11 years old, can play almost any spot except hasn't hind catched. Any info would be appreciated.
I hope he gets to play. Just for future thought, it would be better to either play one or the other. He will get better, quicker with a travel team. Not as much competition at the little league, rec center levels. Some coaches don't like for players to do both, they make you dedicate to one or the other.
HereYaGo

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Decision wrote:
<quoted text>
He will get better, quicker with a travel team. Not as much competition at the little league, rec center levels.
You are correct. Travel team players do excel quicker, than LL/ or rec players.
Decision wrote:
<quoted text>
Some coaches don't like for players to do both, they make you dedicate to one or the other.
Actually, it's sometimes NOT the coaches. Sometimes there are rules and reg's that dictate it, and it's for the child's well being. A child's arm can only through so many pitches, before it's gone. Serious damage can occur, if you don't manage an arm (and a catcher's legs - IMO). Playing for two teams (at some positions), is not too wise for the child's health.

In other cases, yes the coaches will be up-front and let you know. The coaches want (and deserve) a 100% commitment. Playing for two teams (usually in the same time frame) creates conflict. I'd rather a child be committed 100% to me, so I know where he'll be come practice and game times. If he's not 100% committed, he's cut from the squad - no questions ask. There's plenty of talented kids out there wanting to play (and kids who have the potential to develop nicely), enough of them to easily field a team of 100% committed players.

Be committed to one team, would be my suggestion to you.

Thanks
Sports Mom

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Decision wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope he gets to play. Just for future thought, it would be better to either play one or the other. He will get better, quicker with a travel team. Not as much competition at the little league, rec center levels. Some coaches don't like for players to do both, they make you dedicate to one or the other.
Actually last year my son got far more training and coaching from his little league team than he did from his U-trip team, thus we didn't persue it at the beginning of the season this year. I expected just the opposite, just as you stated. I do know that one of the better 29er prep 12U teams plays little league too and they are on hold until August or until little league all stars are over since the majority of that team plays through the lenoir rec.
Caldwell Father

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Make sure your son WANTS to play on a traveling team again. And depending on skill level, prepare for less playing time, or more. There are no rules regarding time in the field or at bats in Utrip like in LL. Some kids and parents are faced with the reality that the bench becomes the normal spot, and that can be VERY difficult for some to accept.

Good luck
Decision

Roanoke Rapids, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Sports Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually last year my son got far more training and coaching from his little league team than he did from his U-trip team, thus we didn't persue it at the beginning of the season this year. I expected just the opposite, just as you stated. I do know that one of the better 29er prep 12U teams plays little league too and they are on hold until August or until little league all stars are over since the majority of that team plays through the lenoir rec.
What organization did he play for last year? I know from experience that travel teams normally are more competitive and excel quicker than rec league teams. If they don't then its typically because of the coaching. On rare occassions you will find a rec team that can beat a travel team.

The other poster was right about rules about pitches in a game or in a matter of days such as a weekend tournament. Players are only allowed so many pitches or innings in a game or series of games. Also, sometimes they freeze the rosters after a certain date in the spring and keep them there until August when they re-roster.

The biggest thing I have experienced is the committment on the parents' behalf. It's as much a committment on them than it is for the player, financially and timewise.

If you decide to play travel ball again you will have the opportunity to re-roster in August. I would suggest trying out then and sticking it through exclusively with that team for the next year. Good Luck.
Hank Aarron

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Sports Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
One of my kids got more training in LL too, vs Travel.... but it was because to the coach - Rob Wedding. He cares for the kids, and is an awesome coach.... better than some travel coaches I've ran across - but he only coached rec Iback in the day).

Other than that instance, travel teams will normally have better coaching, better players, and be waaaayyyy more competitive over rec. or LL. One thing to rememebr about All Stars... if you play LL for Lenoir, you have to live inside the City Limits to be able to play All Stars. So if you don't live inside the city limits, make sure you play in your district so your child will be eligable.

The Rec used to have two seasons per yr (I assume they still do). Spring Baseball, and Fall Ball (Fall Ball never seems to be hitting on too much - as I experienced in the past).

Jason's UTrip team was practicing last night, I saw them.:)
Travel Mom

Franklin, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

Does anyone know of a travel baseball team in Indiana that needs a player for 13U?

“You live 2 die, I live 2 live.”

Since: Jul 08

Lenoir

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

I've played traveling, school, & rec. & I learned more from traveling. I've been a catcher since I was 4, but decided to quit all of my teams because of my singing schedule. But if your gonna play on more than 1 team, you've got to commit your heart, talent, & time 200% at all times to your team & your love of the game. I love baseball & softball. I was told in 8th grade, that'd I'd be a varsity catcher at South Caldwell as a freshman. But I started homeschooling & basically threw my dream away. & now my body aches especially my ankles from being out of shape. SO YOUNG KIDS STICK WITH IT, STAY STRONG, & LIVE TO PLAY.

“You live 2 die, I live 2 live.”

Lenoir

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

0 another thing, Mitchell Laws is my uncle. He is the coach for the USSSA 13 & under spartan team. If you want I can give you more details.
Sports Mom

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2008

morgannwolfe wrote:
0 another thing, Mitchell Laws is my uncle. He is the coach for the USSSA 13 & under spartan team. If you want I can give you more details.
I have a son that played travel ball for the 29er prep program but we were very dissatisfied with our coach...M.Greene and would like to find another team for him to play on. He will be 12 in February. Do you know of anything?
huh

Pelzer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2008

Sports Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a son that played travel ball for the 29er prep program but we were very dissatisfied with our coach...M.Greene and would like to find another team for him to play on. He will be 12 in February. Do you know of anything?
stuff happens when parents can't just hang with a program and let their kids progress without opening their mouths on day 1.
Sports Mom

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2008

huh wrote:
<quoted text>
stuff happens when parents can't just hang with a program and let their kids progress without opening their mouths on day 1.
I do believe that you don't know who I am nor the situation so once again someone on here is talking about something they know nothing about!!

Pelzer, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2008

Sports Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Mitchell's team is actually 12 & under, not 13 & under like Morgan said earlier. But I'll get some info from my sister for you hopefully tomorrow and let you know!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Lenoir Forum right now

Search the Lenoir Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 37 min State of Florida 56,623
good seperation/custody lawyer in lenoir 1 hr Please 3
The Alibi 2 hr Heather76 12
Indian Grave Road 2 hr almost 5
Smiley Face Crossroads 2 hr UofH-m 9
Benjamin Bolick 4 hr MIYL2014 1
Ebola in the Blue Ridge Mtns 4 hr State of Florida 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lenoir Jobs

•••