Marriage Amendment
friend

United States

#329 May 9, 2012
Brandon wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has different beliefs and we shouldn't force our beliefs on others. How would you feel if another religion became the majority and started passing amendments that effected your beliefs?
You mean like removing God from School, taking God out of the pledge, removing crosses from memorials, telling kids they can't carry a Bible to school, or shooting Christians at school for studying the Bible before class? We wouldn't like that.
What tha

Lincolnton, NC

#330 May 9, 2012
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text> So... You were trying to inject the race card into the reason for the passing of this ammendment. So...how quickly we forget.
Okay Im confused. Are you agreeing with my premise that racial injustice was Constitutional and Biblically supported until relatively recently...or are you disagreeing by trying to state that I injected "the race card"? Because, you know, my comment wasnt about race, it was about the repression of civil rights by religious means.
Vote No

Lincolnton, NC

#331 May 9, 2012
Just a quick question for the religious right:

Since you guys fight so hard for the rights of the unborn...after they are born, at what age do you stop fighting for their rights?
Brandon

Hickory, NC

#332 May 9, 2012
friend wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like removing God from School, taking God out of the pledge, removing crosses from memorials, telling kids they can't carry a Bible to school, or shooting Christians at school for studying the Bible before class? We wouldn't like that.
Exactly...so look at it from the other side. You are doing the EXACT same thing.
Bubba

Four Oaks, NC

#334 May 9, 2012
Brandon wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly...so look at it from the other side. You are doing the EXACT same thing.
Not exactly, you got a chance to vote on the gay ammendment.
Mac

Clover, SC

#335 May 9, 2012
Mecklenburg County Commissioner Bill James is already trying to take away health insurance benefits for unmarried couples. I thought this was only about defining marriage.

http://pundithouse.com/2012/05/james-edges-dr...
Bubba

Four Oaks, NC

#336 May 9, 2012
Mac wrote:
Mecklenburg County Commissioner Bill James is already trying to take away health insurance benefits for unmarried couples. I thought this was only about defining marriage.
http://pundithouse.com/2012/05/james-edges-dr...
Plenty of unmarried people have insurance benefits, we just have to pay for it, been paying for mine for years so why should they be treated any differently?
Mac

Clover, SC

#337 May 9, 2012
Just pointing out that contrary to supporters' claims, this was not solely about defining marriage. Supporters claimed that some of the criticisms were fearmongering. We will see how much turns out to be fearmongering and what ends up being unexpected surprises for NC voters.
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text> Plenty of unmarried people have insurance benefits, we just have to pay for it, been paying for mine for years so why should they be treated any differently?
Raid

Lincolnton, NC

#338 May 9, 2012
Wow, King James rules all of Mecklenberg County. What about the other eight members of the board. Surely they have some say on the matter.
Raid

Lincolnton, NC

#339 May 9, 2012
Amber Snowden, a spokeswoman for Jones, told Raw Story that no changes in policy were expected because same sex marriage was already illegal in North Carolina prior to Amendment One passing, and benefits for unmarried couples were not affected by the law.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/09/nc-coun...
Mac

Clover, SC

#340 May 9, 2012
Raid wrote:
Amber Snowden, a spokeswoman for Jones, told Raw Story that no changes in policy were expected because same sex marriage was already illegal in North Carolina prior to Amendment One passing, and benefits for unmarried couples were not affected by the law.
We will see.
Vote No

Lincolnton, NC

#341 May 9, 2012
Raid wrote:
The point is however that the "fear-mongering", that opponents of the bill were accused of, carries validity the moment that someone like this guy starts talking. The argument that companies (ie insurance) "can" still offer benefits/services etc so its not a problem, is the equivalent of saying to an employee we are dropping your retirement plan cause you're old...but its not a problem because you can open your own IRA. Well of course they can but costs and earnings will be significantly affected.

Bill James immediately proved (or at the very least added a ton of credit) to the theory that this is completely economically driven as a way to guarantee partners of same sex AND heterosexual couples will not be added to benefits in the future. This saves NC a lot of money without "cutting" anything right now.
We just eliminated the whole group up front.
CCNewbee

Hickory, NC

#342 May 9, 2012
Vote No wrote:
Just a quick question for the religious right:
Since you guys fight so hard for the rights of the unborn...after they are born, at what age do you stop fighting for their rights?
Sorry to bust ur bubble, but MARRIAGE is not a right....it is an activity that is sanctioned by the State. And, the PEOPLE of this State have spoken and said "NO".
Mac

Clover, SC

#343 May 9, 2012
CCNewbee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to bust ur bubble, but MARRIAGE is not a right....it is an activity that is sanctioned by the State. And, the PEOPLE of this State have spoken and said "NO".
If marriage isn't a right, then all the benefits given to married couples, which I believe number more than 1,000 currently, need to cease immediately.
Hick

Monroe, NC

#344 May 9, 2012
CCNewbee wrote:
<quoted text>
As a CCnewbie, you obviously do not know the rules on this board:

1. Unless sanctioned, you cannot use logical arguments
2. You cannot use spell check
3. You must cuss and/or insult someone with every post

Welcome to CC. Hope you post often.
Hick

Monroe, NC

#345 May 9, 2012
Mac wrote:
<quoted text>
If marriage isn't a right, then all the benefits given to married couples, which I believe number more than 1,000 currently, need to cease immediately.
Illogical
Raid

Lincolnton, NC

#346 May 9, 2012
Vote No wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is however that the "fear-mongering", that opponents of the bill were accused of, carries validity the moment that someone like this guy starts talking. The argument that companies (ie insurance) "can" still offer benefits/services etc so its not a problem, is the equivalent of saying to an employee we are dropping your retirement plan cause you're old...but its not a problem because you can open your own IRA. Well of course they can but costs and earnings will be significantly affected.
Bill James immediately proved (or at the very least added a ton of credit) to the theory that this is completely economically driven as a way to guarantee partners of same sex AND heterosexual couples will not be added to benefits in the future. This saves NC a lot of money without "cutting" anything right now.
We just eliminated the whole group up front.
Companies can change their benefit plans at any time and it has nothing to do with marriage. In fact every year new plans are given to employees based on cost to the company. Vision can be dropped, dental can be canceled, co-pays can increase, deductibles can sky-rocket. If the company is in trouble they can drop it all.
Some even say that under the new Health-care it would be cheaper to pay a penality that provide coverage.
Samo

Angier, NC

#347 May 9, 2012
Good old people of Caldwell County. I weep for us all. Always mislead. So many people have posted a lot of great information on this subject. And most people just don't want to hear it. What if only black people could get married or only white people? Would they understand that? People are people and should all have the same rights.
Mac

Clover, SC

#348 May 9, 2012
Hick wrote:
<quoted text>
Illogical
Illogical that its unfair to treat one class of citizens differently? To say to one group that they can receive benefits from the feds and the state but to tell another group that they cannot with the partner of their choice? You probably should attempt to understand the concept of logic before you go around telling people what is and isn't illogical.

“Try to enjoy the ride.”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#349 May 9, 2012
I knew this thing would pass. It's not as though the fact that most southerners are Christians, and that most Christians are stupid, is some kind of secret.

I do think it's awesome that Obama came out and announced that he was in favor of gay marriage though right after this piece of religious opression passed.

I'm used to Christians getting their way. With every piece of legislation like this that passes, people like me look more and more sane. It's the older generation that causes shit like this to pass. The younger generations are getting further and further away from Christianity, and it'a quite beautiful.

So again, enjoy making hay while the sun shines.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drain the swamp? 45 min Rock 50
Black Woman Destroys The White Privilege Myth 53 min southern at heart 3
FlatLine's Last Post Wins 2017 (Lenoir Edition) (Jan '17) 1 hr Interested 225
97 of 100 Poorest Counties are Republican 2 hr southern at heart 72
Bill Clinton gets 500,000$ for speech in Russia 3 hr waco1909 92
Trump's Fake Time Cover 3 hr waco1909 40
Are Liberals Pursuing Violence in America? 13 hr David53g 49

Lenoir Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance