Next Last
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#1 Aug 20, 2009
Have any of you guys found a job??
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#2 Aug 20, 2009
By the way i heard that ANDERSON TRUCK LINES got the shaft like we did!!
ATL

United States

#3 Aug 20, 2009
Driver wrote:
By the way i heard that ANDERSON TRUCK LINES got the shaft like we did!!
Yea we sure did. its sad but true. Sunbelt is hiring some of our long haul drivers but none of our local
The Truth

AOL

#4 Aug 20, 2009
ATL wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea we sure did. its sad but true. Sunbelt is hiring some of our long haul drivers but none of our local
What concerns me is this country is having to adjust to a new level of consumption. It is far lower than the previous level. Therefore for the foreseeable future there will not be the same level of demand for truckers, factory workers, restaurant personnel, etc.

As manufacturing is the only way any country has ever "worked" its way out of a recession and we have sent all ours to China, I truly do not see any immediate or even short term solution. I would suggest hunkering down, simplifying your life and learn to enjoy the simple pleasures we have before us. In time all economies adjust to their given circumstances. However this change is usually somewhat painful and protracted.

Since: Sep 08

Lake Forest, IL

#5 Aug 20, 2009
The Truth wrote:
As manufacturing is the only way any country has ever "worked" its way out of a recession and we have sent all ours to China, I truly do not see any immediate or even short term solution. I would suggest hunkering down, simplifying your life and learn to enjoy the simple pleasures we have before us. In time all economies adjust to their given circumstances. However this change is usually somewhat painful and protracted.
Truer words have seldom been spoken.

My wife works with a trucking company (Carlyle) that does household moves and they are feeling the pinch, even with the military moves. This is usually their busy season and they were working every Saturday for the last several summers but this year they are talking layoffs.

I hope for the best for you guys.
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#6 Aug 20, 2009
My main gripe is the way we were treated at NEWTON. We were let go without any explanation or anything. We were still on the road when we got the news and it was from other trucking companies.We were never given a formal announcement from the owner.We got no severance pay and we lost our vacation time ( some had as many as 5 weeks vacation time that was earned from previous years). Also we were given 15 days to get some insurance with no cobra. AND WE WERE NOT OFFERED A JOB AT SUNBELT BUT OUR OWNER TOOK A JOB THERE, GO FIGURE!!!! After 20+years of service and not even a hand shake or a pat on the back. All we got was the shaft and the you no who got the GOLDMINE!!!
herosRhard2find

United States

#7 Aug 20, 2009
sue em they have to give you cobra

“Logic Dictates All”

Since: Feb 09

Lenoir

#8 Aug 20, 2009
My wife was a security officer there on third shift, Griffith is still trying to find her a new permanent position.
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#9 Aug 20, 2009
We looked into a law suit. They said there was nothing we could do. They evidently had it all planned out. They knew what they could get by with. Take the money and run i guess.
herosRhard2find

United States

#10 Aug 20, 2009
Hey about all them truckin co's are E...vile. Just like the supervisors in the factories, slave drivers.
ATL

United States

#11 Aug 20, 2009
It was the same way at anderson. They called the office,warehouse,and garage in the break room to tell them. We were called on the road and told to bring the trucks in. We didnt get a severence pay or vacation pay either. And cobra is not a option with a closing. But Dan Anderson was real appreciative for our hard work and he did shake our hand. He kept apologizing but he couldn't hold on to it anymore. He was shedding tears and that just dont happen. We also lost our insurance in a weeks time.
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#12 Aug 20, 2009
Well at least you guys got a handshake. We didnt even get that. Our owners called a meeting when there wasn't anyone there except a few office people and a few garage people. So much for all the hard work that we did for the company. Oh yea we did get a safety bonus check in july of 09 for the fourth quarter of 2008. Still havent recived one for the first 6 months of 2009. Iguess the safe driving wasn't that important.
The Truth

AOL

#13 Aug 21, 2009
It is horrible for everyone out there right now. Jobs are dropping like flies and there appears no end in sight.

The only positive I see from this is those with a job will appreciate it more fully. Their productivity will go up and hopefully their earnings will to which will aid in the economic recovery process. It is a long, slow road we face, but times WILL get better. We just have to hang in there.
ATL

United States

#14 Aug 21, 2009
Our owner went to Sunbelt too. But I've heard he was permantely working there and then I've heard he's just there making sure the transaction goes smoothly. I know who owned Newton, and I can believe the way she acted. I would never work for someone like her. But on the other hand, Dan was real good to work for. But we seen our freight dropping off fast. Actually we seen what was coming, but to hear it was a slap in the face. Are you guys getting to enroll in school? Dan is trying to get it passed so we can.
I guess the saddest part of it all was him telling the office,warehouse and garage that he hated to tear our "family in company" apart.
I've also heard a rumor that he is not going to keep the Anderson building empty, he's not sure what to put in it but it won't be empty.
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#15 Aug 21, 2009
No we can't go to school. We were told that newton did not participate in the TAA (not sure the name) program. We to were supposedly a family company. But i have seen no regret from our owners. But who would have thought that. She sold all the trucks and trailers and all the equipment in the garage. I hear she is trying to sell the building now. Who knows where all that money goes. Sure do miss the good old days.
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#16 Aug 21, 2009
Boy i sure could use my vacation pay that NEWTON jipped me out of
The Truth

Russellville, TN

#17 Aug 22, 2009
What is sad is many of the "good" owners (ATL, etc.) give everything they have to keep their company family employed. They run their credit to the hilt in a last ditch attempt to save their company only to see things fall apart in the end.

The Newton owner sounds like she was more ruthless and came away with some cash. The ATL owner sounds like he truly cared for his employees and kept his company open longer than he should have. It is a shame either way that two good companies are now gone.
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#18 Aug 23, 2009
Sure sounds like it to me to!!!
ATL

United States

#19 Aug 23, 2009
Thats right, the owner of Anderson did say he should have closed 2 months earlier, but he was fighting it. He didnt want to lose what his family put together
Driver

Simpsonville, SC

#20 Aug 23, 2009
At least DAN had a conscience about his decision to close. We never felt like our owner did

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Democrats Can't Shut Down the Government 5 hr State of Florida 8
🐮 Milk from your mom is good 🐮 9 hr waco1909 85
IT BEGINS: Indictment Handed Down In Russian Co... 9 hr waco1909 31
We Are Closer to Nuclear War - Thanks to Trump 9 hr waco1909 52
🐄 your moms milk is tasty 🐄 9 hr waco1909 84
Democrat introduces "Stable Genius Act" 9 hr waco1909 72
I need my cigarettes 9 hr waco1909 14

Lenoir Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance