NC high school wrestler paralyzed during match

Dec 6, 2011 Full story: WCNC-TV Charlotte

The family of a top-ranked North Carolina wrestler prays that he'll recover after he was left paralyzed during a match.

Full Story
Cooper

Terrell, NC

#1 Dec 7, 2011
The story says the wrestler crashed into the wall. That tells me the mat was to close to the damn wall! Sounds like poor coaching!!!!
Looker

Morganton, NC

#2 Dec 8, 2011
What a set of thighs on this young stud, hope he's OK
student

Youngsville, NC

#3 Dec 8, 2011
Cooper wrote:
The story says the wrestler crashed into the wall. That tells me the mat was to close to the damn wall! Sounds like poor coaching!!!!
My husband and I both agree with you. With him being a wrestling coach,he says Hibriten High Schools coaches and athletic director should have had enough common sense to know that wasn't a good idea. We are talking about wrestling! They also should be aware there are rules within the NCHSAA regarding mat placement and other safety measures that are to be exercised during a wrestling match, tournament or practice. With that being said, the wrestling officials who are supposed to be trained by the NCHSAA should know this as well, and should have spoken up prior to the beginning of this tournament. It is in our opinion that those hosting the tournament, ie: school,coaches, athletic director, and the officials overseeing that tournament should be held accountable for what occurred to this young man as they failed terribly.
Zack

Lincolnton, NC

#4 Dec 13, 2011
Good smart coaches are hard to find. Many young kids are stuck with coaches that really never did anything in the sport they supervise. Improper blocking and tackling in football has caused many kids injurys. Wrestling is tougher and requires a real background and college wrestling experience to coach!
Troy

Japan

#5 Aug 25, 2012
Yes!I totally agree that all parties involved drop the ball on this one. At some point we need to protect the kids and give them proper guidance and motivation, I do not know who thought this to be a good plan on mat placement. A college degree or college wrestling experience is not needed to coach or learn the basic's of mat placement. You can be a great coach w/o college experience, have you ever heard the term student of the game? I mean how many great NFL coaches actually played in the NFL, does Coach John Gruden or The Pats 4xtime SB champ Coach Billacheck come to mind? As they say in martial arts you Only master a skill once you can teach it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where did Lance Wilson Go 39 min Just In Case 1
Who Do You Support For Senate In NC in 2014 42 min Liberal Forever 2,923
Good News For Our Not-So-Super Walmart!!! (Jul '09) 53 min get help 22
Immigrants 1 hr Concerned 1
Chad Bowman (Dec '13) 3 hr Just saying 53
Bill Cosby is a PERV! 4 hr not convinced 12
Orthodontist (Feb '14) 4 hr Wally West 18
Lenoir Dating
Find my Match

Lenoir People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lenoir News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lenoir

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:02 am PST

Bleacher Report 9:02AM
Does Cam Need Protection or Weapons More in 2015 Draft?
Bleacher Report10:02 AM
Grading Carolina's Positional Units Heading into Bye Week
NBC Sports10:13 AM
Julio Jones misses second day of practice with illness
NBC Sports 1:17 PM
Falcons sign James Anderson
NBC Sports 2:45 PM
Trufant, Falcons face big test against Gordon - NBC Sports