Morganton airport officials plead gui...

Morganton airport officials plead guilty to embezzlement

There are 76 comments on the The Charlotte Observer story from Sep 14, 2012, titled Morganton airport officials plead guilty to embezzlement. In it, The Charlotte Observer reports that:

The top two administrators at Foothills Regional Airport in Morganton have entered guilty pleas to federal charges of embezzlement and money laundering, the U.S. Justice Department said Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Charlotte Observer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
LOOKING FORWARD

Turin, GA

#1 Sep 14, 2012
Will there be jail time?? Sure sounds like there should be!!!
What Ever

Lenoir, NC

#2 Sep 15, 2012
I know everyone is looking down on Brad and Alex but If you don't know them then you are missing out they are all good people so is Randy. I hope they just get probation. Everyone don't know what was going on neither do I. But I can say I have known them all for a long time. They might need to look into other people that was working there during these times also. It has to be something else that was going on. anyways!!!!!
TSF

Benson, NC

#3 Sep 15, 2012
I think that if you do the crime, you should do the time. All 38 years of it.
There is a good chance that News Topic will print a story about this since it has been in all the other papers and TV /radio stations.
What Ever wrote:
I know everyone is looking down on Brad and Alex but If you don't know them then you are missing out they are all good people so is Randy. I hope they just get probation. Everyone don't know what was going on neither do I. But I can say I have known them all for a long time. They might need to look into other people that was working there during these times also. It has to be something else that was going on. anyways!!!!!
Pike Bishop

Enfield, IL

#4 Sep 15, 2012
Won't go well behind bars for ex cop like Alex.
I know him, nice guy and apparently has been taking thousands from inside theft.
Do the crime pay the time.
media judge

Hudson, NC

#5 Sep 15, 2012
Alex and Brad should do time, and to the Max. Article was in Saturdays News-topic. Also mentioned that they signed contracts with outside contractors for a greater amount than the job should have cost. These contractors should be held accountable, too. I'm sure that the contractors were awarded the jobs at a predetermined amount and then a kick back was given to the two thugs (Brad and Alex). FBI needs to go after the contractors now.....Put them all in one jail cell and watch them all point the finger at each other....
why

Lenoir, NC

#6 Sep 16, 2012
What Ever wrote:
What are we missing out on? People that lie steal and cheat. Those are people I can do without. Just goes to show you what greedy people that they really are. What's wrong with working for what you want instead of stealing. Alex isn't a good person at all. He is a con artist! Maybe you should open up your eyes.
what ever

Lenoir, NC

#8 Sep 16, 2012
why wrote:
<quoted text> What are we missing out on? People that lie steal and cheat. Those are people I can do without. Just goes to show you what greedy people that they really are. What's wrong with working for what you want instead of stealing. Alex isn't a good person at all. He is a con artist! Maybe you should open up your eyes.
You know if you would ever know these people you would think different he is a good man dont care what anyone says. My eyes have been open but ever think they didnt do all this on there own look at who all was there in the past and got the heck out they might have been in on it also. But no everyone wants to look at Alex as he done it all you open your eyes and look around.You without sin cast the first stone as you already have...God forgives every body not just 1 person....
why

Lenoir, NC

#9 Sep 16, 2012
What makes you think I dont know him. Haha. If he thought about his girls he wouldn't of done it.Do the crime then do the time.
what ever

Lenoir, NC

#10 Sep 16, 2012
1 blood wrote:
<quoted text>
OBVIOUSLY YOU DONT KNOW ALEX!! I PROMISE YOU I KNOW HIM AND BRADLEY BETTER THEN ANY PERSON ON THIS WHOLE DAMN SITE-- HE IS A GOOD MAN, WHO LOVES HIS FAMILY AND DAUGHTERS DEARLY-- "JUDGE AND YOU SHALL BE JUDGED"...
I agree with you they both are great people and I do know them both and a few others very well...
Copa Pilot

Boone, NC

#11 Sep 16, 2012
I certainly hope nobody is thinking about sweeping this under the rug! At the VERY least, the Airport Authority board needs to be replaced entirely. It was THEIR responsibility to oversee the operation. As early as 2007 and continuing right up until the FBI raid, many current and now-former tenants at the airport tried to warm the Authority board members that Nelson and his cronies were being dishonest in several ways, but the warnings fell on collective deaf ears. This is the result.

The TAXPAYERS of Lenoir and Morganton, the TAXPAYERS of Burke and Caldwell counties, the TAXPAYERS of North Carolina, and the TAXPAYERS of the entire U.S. should demand satisfaction and restitution from the board itself. Not only was THEIR money stolen, but all the OTHER TAXPAYER money that had to be spent investigating the crime, chasing down the criminals, and prosecuting them.(Yes, all that money belonged to the TAXPAYERS, not the Foothills Regional Airport Authority or any of the other government entities.) And its still not over, so more of the TAXPAYERS' money is being spent. In addition, several DOZEN individuals and companies moved their aircraft and businesses away from the Morganton-Lenoir airport due DIRECTLY to the dishonesty of Nelson and his cronies. A rough yet conservative estimate of the property, sales, and business tax loss alone is in the MILLIONS of dollars. The loss of direct spending into the local economy significantly harmed the well-being of the taxpayer population as well.

As for all the business jets that local officials say use the airport: Well, 90% of them do NOT land at Morganton any more. They land at Hickory, Jefferson, Wilkesboro, Statesville, Johnson City TN, etc. instead. Yes, Nelson and his staff ran them off as well.
Copa Pilot

Boone, NC

#12 Sep 16, 2012
what ever wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you they both are great people and I do know them both and a few others very well...
Well, he's evidently a crook, a cheat, a liar, a thief. He is going to admit to all these attributes in open court in Ashville, N.C. next week. So, he's NOT "great people" and he's going to say that himself to a federal judge under oath in public. Who better than to refute your statement than the man himself?
good lady

Morganton, NC

#14 Sep 16, 2012
Its funny how so many people get on here and voice there opinions but never would you ever say it to there face. Everbody makes mistakes big and little not one of us is innocent and the comment about tax dollars money is waisted everyday look around. And people will plead guilty to anything to keep from doing jail time the oath doesn't mean a thing. Im not defending nor am i saying they r guilty im just saying we all make mistakes!!!!
its me ma

Morganton, NC

#15 Sep 16, 2012
I am related to both these wonderful men and proud to say they are my uncles! Personally I think everyone should just keep there thoughts to themselves, no need to comment back to me cause i'll never see this cause i'm done looking at all the arrogant things u ppl post about my family! Everyone makes mistakes... everyone that's calling them a thief, lier, all that other bs... u tell me u have never told a lie or stolen a piece of gum... idk anything, i understand they are a different as far as what the crime is but at the same time they are the same sin! You have no clue how this affects the family and if you would sit back and think for one moment that the mother or father or young daughter or son of these two men could get on google and search all these nasty things your saying about my uncles it hurts! Family is family regardless, i'm not saying I support what they have done but I love these two men very much! they have been wonderful uncles all my life and if you would just stop and think what if this was your family member, would u want ur momma seeing these things said about u? If not for my uncles... think about my wonderful grand parents and keep ur negative HARSH comments to yourself! thank you and God bless! what happened to thow shall not judge.... just because there sin is public, u think yours should be too?
good lady

Morganton, NC

#16 Sep 16, 2012
its me ma wrote:
I am related to both these wonderful men and proud to say they are my uncles! Personally I think everyone should just keep there thoughts to themselves, no need to comment back to me cause i'll never see this cause i'm done looking at all the arrogant things u ppl post about my family! Everyone makes mistakes... everyone that's calling them a thief, lier, all that other bs... u tell me u have never told a lie or stolen a piece of gum... idk anything, i understand they are a different as far as what the crime is but at the same time they are the same sin! You have no clue how this affects the family and if you would sit back and think for one moment that the mother or father or young daughter or son of these two men could get on google and search all these nasty things your saying about my uncles it hurts! Family is family regardless, i'm not saying I support what they have done but I love these two men very much! they have been wonderful uncles all my life and if you would just stop and think what if this was your family member, would u want ur momma seeing these things said about u? If not for my uncles... think about my wonderful grand parents and keep ur negative HARSH comments to yourself! thank you and God bless! what happened to thow shall not judge.... just because there sin is public, u think yours should be too?
very well said
why

Lenoir, NC

#17 Sep 16, 2012
The only thing that is so funny is that Alex always thought his crap didnt stink. He treated people like dirt and now that the shoe is on the other foot its another story. I don't feel sorry for him at all and I damn wouldn't plead guilty to something if I wasn't guilty. I know it hurts his family but he is the reason for their pain. If he hadn't acted all high and mighty then I may feel bad for him.Shouldn't of been so GREEDY
its me ma

Morganton, NC

#18 Sep 16, 2012
why wrote:
The only thing that is so funny is that Alex always thought his crap didnt stink. He treated people like dirt and now that the shoe is on the other foot its another story. I don't feel sorry for him at all and I damn wouldn't plead guilty to something if I wasn't guilty. I know it hurts his family but he is the reason for their pain. If he hadn't acted all high and mighty then I may feel bad for him.Shouldn't of been so GREEDY
there actions may be hurting the family but we're dealing with that! we are getting through it... it's ppl like you that come on here and write these stupid comments putting my family down that is hurting me! keep ur thoughts to yourself! I am so sick and tired of reading these... it's so hard to stay away tho... when you know your family is being trash talked and there is no one there to stand up for them! Yeah they made a mistake and he probably was better than you cause I guarantee if you was on this page he wouldn't be wasting his time sitting at a computer trash talking you! grow up and get a freaking life! and stop enjoying other ppl's pain!
Copa Pilot

Boone, NC

#19 Sep 16, 2012
good lady wrote:
Its funny how so many people get on here and voice there opinions but never would you ever say it to there face.
1) The word is THEIR (indicating possession), not there (indicating location).
2) I HAVE said it to his face. More than once. I have first-hand experience with his many character defects. In my opinion, the only morals he can claim are those he stole from someone else.
Copa Pilot

Boone, NC

#20 Sep 16, 2012
its me ma wrote:
<quoted text>...when you know your family is being trash talked ... Yeah they made a mistake
"Trash talked"? Since when is the bald, unvarnished truth "trash"? I think the problem is that his relatives are just now realizing how bad a person he really is. Down to the core of his being sociopath bad.

"Mistake"? A mistake is the teenager who shoplifts a trinket on a dare, or the elementary student who cheats on an exam and then lies about it out of fear over the consequences. What these men did was a SYSTEMATIC, REPEATED, MULTI-FACETED, ON-GOING, ORGANIZED CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE. I hope like hell that pleading guilty to the three charges gives the U.S. Attorney the ability to invoke the R.I.C.O. act and send them to jail for the rest of their natural lives.
why

Lenoir, NC

#21 Sep 16, 2012
I know you hate to believe family can be so greedy but he is and you can't blame anybody but him. He isn't better than me and never will be. He would steal from you if he gained from it. He has pulled the wool over peoples eyes for years. And now its biting him in the butt. You need to realize evil is in alot of families even yours.
its me ma

Morganton, NC

#24 Sep 17, 2012
Copa Pilot wrote:
<quoted text>
"Trash talked"? Since when is the bald, unvarnished truth "trash"? I think the problem is that his relatives are just now realizing how bad a person he really is. Down to the core of his being sociopath bad.
"Mistake"? A mistake is the teenager who shoplifts a trinket on a dare, or the elementary student who cheats on an exam and then lies about it out of fear over the consequences. What these men did was a SYSTEMATIC, REPEATED, MULTI-FACETED, ON-GOING, ORGANIZED CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE. I hope like hell that pleading guilty to the three charges gives the U.S. Attorney the ability to invoke the R.I.C.O. act and send them to jail for the rest of their natural lives.
I WANT TO CUSS U LIKE A DOG WITH ALL MY BEEING RIGHT NOW! BUT I'M NOT GOING TO BECAUSE I'M A LADY AND I'M NOT SUPPOSE TO JUDGE I LOVE MY FAMILY THROUGH THICK AND THIN AND U CAN SIT THERE AND JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT TO AND JUDGE MY FAMILY ALL YOU WANT TO BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY OUR LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER WILL GET US THROUGH THIS! BET U'D NEVER SAY THIS TO MY FACE!!!!! I'M A VERY RESPECTABLE PERSON AND A WONDERFUL MOTHER AND SEEING ME ON THE STREETS U WOULDN'T HAVE THE GUTS TO TALK THIS WAY TO ME! BUT THAT'S OK UR SIN OF JUDGING MY FAMILY IS THE SAME SIN THAT MY UNCLES COMMITTED OR DIDN'T COMMIT... SIN IS SIN AND GOD WILL DEAL WITH YOURS ONE DAY!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
power outage (Jan '14) 4 min sweet cheeks 9
American FEMINISTS SILENT AS ISIS CONTINUES SLA... 18 min Blue Triangle 22
Happy America's Birthday. 26 min liliesdaughter 2
U.S. Supreme Court just decided on Gay marriages! 28 min Blue Triangle 128
Take Down the Confederate Flag. Take it Down Now. 31 min Blue Triangle 487
Where do you watch the FIREWORKS on the 4th? (Jul '11) 2 hr Barbara 8
"Clinton with growing lead. against republican's" 5 hr Johnson 41
More from around the web

Lenoir People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE