Has anyone been there yet?
logan stollings

Shelby, NC

#2 Nov 23, 2010
i cant wait! i loved that place!!!!!!!!
revolution32

Charlotte, NC

#3 Nov 26, 2010
I remember Red Pig from my days working in the factories(the mid-80s) and getting lunch there when we could. I didn't even know it had closed down until I heard about the planned "reopening". What happened to close her down and is it the same owners now?

The Dome was also a loss to the area.

Geeze --- I'm getting old.
New Day

Stanley, NC

#4 Nov 26, 2010
My husband went there to eat during lunch. He said the food was really good. They are still a little unorganized but that is to be expected when opening a new place. He said the prices were reasonable too. He said it was really fixed up nice inside.
yea

Spruce Pine, NC

#5 Nov 28, 2010
Actually is nice inside...I was impressed. Got a burger, with fries. It was around 4.xx without drink. BUT, the burger was HUGE...absolutely too big for me. It must have been 1lb. Very tasty. Fries were good with some type of seasoning on them, even if they were a little salty. Inside has been rennovated and has seating in front as well as the back. All kitchen equipment looked new as well.

Try it out. FYI they're open on Sunday I just saw as I was driving by...
Earl

Black Mountain, NC

#6 Nov 28, 2010
ABC wrote:
Has anyone been there yet?
Great! This craphole town really needs another burger joint. Of course, many of the folks here think their on top of the world if there's another place to get a burger.
yea

Spruce Pine, NC

#8 Nov 28, 2010
dont be a doucheeee Earl.

Since: Oct 10

Lenoir

#9 Nov 28, 2010
Earl,

The Red Pig "is" Lenoir. My husband and I hated when it shut down and am so happy to see it open again, we can't wait to go there. Many good memories at "The Pig" it is not "just a burger joint"
lunch for me

Union, NJ

#10 Nov 28, 2010
The Dome, Clarence's, Red Pig, Icey Freeze, Kentwood & The Big Rebel, all what use to be Lenoir! Nice to see businesses opening up in this poor economy. Some old favorites still around, bringing back sweet memories & some delicious hometown food. Keep these local spots in mind when your headed out to eat & help keep your neighbors in business. Its so important-Now more than ever! Can't wait to try it out!
Earl

Black Mountain, NC

#11 Nov 28, 2010
Joanmarie wrote:
Earl,
The Red Pig "is" Lenoir. My husband and I hated when it shut down and am so happy to see it open again, we can't wait to go there. Many good memories at "The Pig" it is not "just a burger joint"
No offense, but I don't think I would admit that the Red Pig is associated with good memories in my past.
old law dog

Gaffney, SC

#12 Nov 28, 2010
Earl wrote:
<quoted text>Great! This craphole town really needs another burger joint. Of course, many of the folks here think their on top of the world if there's another place to get a burger.
Thats what all most people can afford you must be one of the rich folk
im just sayin

Banner Elk, NC

#13 Nov 28, 2010
Earl wrote:
<quoted text>No offense, but I don't think I would admit that the Red Pig is associated with good memories in my past.
To many of us the pig brings back memories of our youth, going out to eat with family and friends, having light hearted conversation with total strangers that suddenly became friends. It was a restaurant where people knew you by name, where on a hot summers day you looked forward to one of their burgers and an ice cold Coke. The Pig is an icon, not a chain store where they slap prefab food in a wrapper and slap it a bag. If you’ve never tried it you should, you might be surprised.

Since: Oct 10

Lenoir

#14 Nov 28, 2010
im just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
To many of us the pig brings back memories of our youth, going out to eat with family and friends, having light hearted conversation with total strangers that suddenly became friends. It was a restaurant where people knew you by name, where on a hot summers day you looked forward to one of their burgers and an ice cold Coke. The Pig is an icon, not a chain store where they slap prefab food in a wrapper and slap it a bag. If you’ve never tried it you should, you might be surprised.
You said it all ^ right there!
tater

Bunnlevel, NC

#15 Nov 28, 2010
I remember walking up to the pig when I was a young boy. If I remember correct you could get three hot-dogs for a dollar. Man those were some good dogs.
Mr nobody

Lenoir, NC

#16 Nov 29, 2010
We ate at the Red Pig Saturday night, a bit crowded for Whitnel on a Saturday night, but the food was very good and service was fast and friendly.
Willard

Black Mountain, NC

#17 Nov 29, 2010
The red pig was good, in the hey day. But in the last days, it was horrible. You could watch rats run in and out, as you waited in the drive through, so I quit going.

Did they get rid of all the rats?
If so, I'll go back.
It was horrid once upon a time.

Willard
Go Pig

Spruce Pine, NC

#18 Nov 29, 2010
Earl wrote:
<quoted text>Great! This craphole town really needs another burger joint. Of course, many of the folks here think their on top of the world if there's another place to get a burger.
Hey Earl lets compare the differance's, Red Pig is a local owned buiseness as opposed to Mcdonalds, BK, etc. etc. and most of the money [profit] made by the owners will be spent here. They will employ probably around five to ten people between different shifts. The old empty buiding wasnt doing a whole lot for the economy as it was. I will spare you all the chatter about the experiance of sitting down at a local diner and eating good ole diner food, enjoying good conversation and being part of a fast fading tradition as it is probably lost on you anyways. I wish lenoir had more place's like this and I wish the new owners the best of luck.
Ca Ca Carl

Mount Ulla, NC

#19 Nov 30, 2010
The new cook/co-owner up there is former sheriff Roger Hutchings...stop on by and try his delicious and now famous "Jail House BBQ", if anyone has ever tried Rogers BBQ you know it's the best in Caldwell Co. all those years of campaigning and feeding his supporter has really paid off! Ya'll come on down now ya hea!
hope

United States

#20 Nov 30, 2010
i am glad the pig is open , i worked for maw-bird when she was the owner , i'm tired of these fast food places like burgerking , wendy's , and i would never eat at checker's ,i like kfc until i found a big hair in the banana pudding and the mgr left it on the buffet after i told them about it , good luck pig ill be out to visit soon
Lily

Eddyville, KY

#21 Nov 30, 2010
The Red Pig looks great. It's a lot different than it use to be. There is a beautiful framed photo of Maw Byrd in there as well as vintage photos of the Red Pig back when it was the Fairway Soda Shop, before Maw owned it.

The old Pig shut down, because the owners didn't pay their bills. The owners don't own the building, only the business, so when they didn't pay the rent they were eventually shut down. They old pig had lots of outdated equipment that was grandfathered in under old health laws. Once it was shut down though those rules no longer applied and it had to be brought up to current codes before it be reopened. Really expensive!

I went there for breakfast. The prices were reasonable, but the service was slow. I think that'll most likely improve in time. I was disappointed that the shredded hashbrowns I loved there were no longer available. Instead they had deep fried potatoes, similar to home fries. I noticed that none of the cooks were wear hats or hairnets, a health code violation. I hope they change that soon. Hair in your food is gross!

But over all, it was neat to go there. I hope they stay afloat. The restaurant business is hard, and the Red Pig is in an out of the way location. I wish them luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
George Will leaves GOP, over Trump. 2 min TSF 8
Orlando Shooting STAGED!! Fake crying, reading ... 10 min TSF 82
UK LEAVES EU, Obama saddened. 23 min TSF 75
The Logic Fails me: 48 min TSF 218
Did God curse the Negro?. 1 hr Robert 6
Chimpcongo, the gift that keeps on giving. 1 hr Robert 1
26 dead in West Virginia flooding! 2 hr southern at heart 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lenoir Mortgages