Way Back When.....

jwe

Since: Jun 09

Taft, TN

#142 Mar 30, 2010
Home Town Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Circle the A & W , circle the Dairy Queen, repeat. Sometimes add Jack's on the West end.
Boys checking out girls. Girls checking out boys.
Probably sounds boring to our kids but we sure had fun.
I do that every weekend in lc , I turn around at leo's and ride up to bimbo's and repeat..........Red 2000 mustang GT
Smiling in LC

United States

#143 Mar 30, 2010
So many good memories...I just love this thread.

Remember when we had some celebration...and had street festivals all over town? I think that's when I first heard ROCKY TOP! And OKIE FROM MUSKOGEE...

And...remember when the carnival would come to town behind the old White Store?

Good times!
Walinut Street Alumni

Knoxville, TN

#144 Mar 30, 2010
CECIL wrote:
Good old Walnut Street. Mrs. Browder, Mrs. Barton, Miss Carlton, Mrs. Hedrick, Mrs. Hagler and Mrs Littlefield.
I loved Walnut Street school, I had Mrs. Browder, Mrs. Barton, and Ms. Carlton. I absolutely loved going to that school. I remember having to ride the bus to the middle school to eat lunch and field days in the spring, and milk breaks in the morning!
RollingStoned

United States

#145 Mar 30, 2010
I remember a carnival that set up in the "dust bowl." My folks took me there in about '68 or '69. We rented a home on Bussell Ferry Road that belonged to The Lenoir City Company so we walked down to the carnival.

Since: Jul 09

lenoir city

#146 Mar 30, 2010
i remember the carnival their we also rented from the lenoir city company on bond street so they was just across the street now that was fun
CECIL

Hopkins, MN

#147 Mar 31, 2010
RollingStoned wrote:
I remember a carnival that set up in the "dust bowl." My folks took me there in about '68 or '69. We rented a home on Bussell Ferry Road that belonged to The Lenoir City Company so we walked down to the carnival.
I used to do the same. I lived on Lee Drive then.
bill Teague

Elizabethton, TN

#148 Apr 2, 2010
How many remember good old Bill Wampler walking the streets and caring his Bible He was a good man;

Since: Jul 09

lenoir city

#149 Apr 3, 2010
do anybody remember the goat man he would come thru a couble time a year
RollingStoned

United States

#150 Apr 3, 2010
The Goatman's name was Charles "Ches" McCartney. My grandfather knew him and would always get a call from family a few miles away telling him the goatman was coming through, then he'd go out and sell produce on hwy 70 until Ches came by and they'd spend the afternoon talking and whittling. Twice I know of he followed grandpap home and camped in the yard.
LC Girl

Knoxville, TN

#151 Apr 3, 2010
the boy who got killed when falling from the little train in LC Park was Benny Johnson. He was killed from the accident and not drowning. This was early 60's. the train was shut down after that. His twin brother was Danny Johnson. They lived in the Highland Park area.
RollingStoned

United States

#152 Apr 3, 2010
I'd love to know what became of the train. For years it sat in a small shed that was very close to where the bathrooms are now, across from the swings. Back in '79 or '80 a guy that looked a lot like me, and two other fools entertained the idea of liberating it one night after an evening of fishing and drinking Coca-Colas. They found out it must have weighed about a thousand pounds.
RollingStoned

United States

#153 Apr 3, 2010
After posting that last entry I was reminded that I have a very recognizable relic of our town sitting right in my den. If someone can tell me how, I'll put a pic of it on Topix. Lots of you will get a kick out of this.

jwe

Since: Jun 09

Taft, TN

#154 Apr 4, 2010
LC Girl wrote:
the boy who got killed when falling from the little train in LC Park was Benny Johnson. He was killed from the accident and not drowning. This was early 60's. the train was shut down after that. His twin brother was Danny Johnson. They lived in the Highland Park area.
He live's right up the road from me in a brick house
Tennessee Boy

Knoxville, TN

#155 Apr 5, 2010
bill Teague wrote:
How many remember good old Bill Wampler walking the streets and caring his Bible He was a good man;
You can go to Wilburn's Barber Shop and get some of that ole time religon.
Grammar Police

Knoxville, TN

#156 Apr 6, 2010
jwe wrote:
<quoted text>
He live's right up the road from me in a brick house
I'm sorry but I can't let this go. It's ridiculous how some people think that a word that is plural (Example:"cats") must have an apostrophe "cat's". An apostrophe is used for a contraction (can't = can not) or when something is possessive (the cat's paws). But this...this is absolultely inexcuseable. You put an apostrophe just because the word ends in "s". Come on, people! We're making our community look it's full of uneducated fools.
Take a look at this, even if you do know your grammar- it's pretty funny. http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
Rolling Stoned

United States

#157 Apr 6, 2010
Grammar Police wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry but I can't let this go. It's ridiculous how some people think that a word that is plural (Example:"cats") must have an apostrophe "cat's". An apostrophe is used for a contraction (can't = can not) or when something is possessive (the cat's paws). But this...this is absolultely inexcuseable. You put an apostrophe just because the word ends in "s". Come on, people! We're making our community look it's full of uneducated fools.
Take a look at this, even if you do know your grammar- it's pretty funny. http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
We don't care.
Alumni

AOL

#158 Apr 6, 2010
Rolling Stoned wrote:
We don't care.
We can tell.
Rolling Stoned

United States

#159 Apr 6, 2010
Q. Does anyone remember what Gene Wheelock would always say as you were paying for your haircut?
A. "Now you give me a ten, and I'll give you a five" with slow deliberate emphasis on "ten" and "five"
Home Town Girl

Taft, TN

#160 Apr 7, 2010
Rolling Stoned wrote:
Q. Does anyone remember what Gene Wheelock would always say as you were paying for your haircut?
A. "Now you give me a ten, and I'll give you a five" with slow deliberate emphasis on "ten" and "five"
Oh, uh huh Yeahh !

Since: Apr 10

Franklin, TN

#161 Apr 7, 2010
Hello Everyone,

There are great posts here.

The Lady at JC Penney was Jean Collins. Tony and I grew up together in Martel (Fout Town).

Yes, Walnut Street School with the Teachers that were mentioned. Course, after two years we all went to Nichols.

Please, keep posting as I think often about the Good Old Days in LC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keystone Pipeline Break 20 min informed 17
Roy Moore Proves the Yearbook Signature is a Hoax 1 hr Truth on facts 3
Michelle Ayo 1 hr Concerned 1
VOL Fan Scam 3 hr We have next year 43
Any info on the wreck last Sunday morning? 8 hr Concerned2526 1
Scared? 10 hr TRUTH 5
Sexual Assault & Hazing in LC football locker room Nov 13 Harry Pothead 5

Lenoir City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance