Way Back When.....
Rick Tallent

Beaumont, TX

#506 Feb 8, 2013
There were a lot of gospel singers in the Lenoir City area. Some have gone on to be with the Lord and some have just gone, bt the memories of those old times will live forever.

By the way, for anyone interested, I am trying to get a group of people together to help me do a City-Wide Revival in Lenoir City, probably at the Memorial Building. I started my preaching ministry in Lenoir City in 1969 and want to come back and preach there again after 44 years of ministry. If you are interested in helping (including gospel singers) contact me or Wes Hall. We're both on Facebook.
fat albert

Loudon, TN

#507 Feb 8, 2013
This thread says "way back when" Charlie has just been gone a short time. You are going to have to go way back to get on this thread.
oldster

Warrenton, VA

#508 Feb 13, 2013
Love this thread. Anyone remember Williams' Grocery? It was on the corner of Broadway and Browder Holler RD
Rick

Beaumont, TX

#509 Feb 13, 2013
I remember it!! Walked down Browder Hollow Road a few times....and rode my bicycle over the hill from downtown.....good memories. Whatever happened to friendly, family opeerated stores???
Big Chief Slap a Ho

Loudon, TN

#510 Feb 14, 2013
Me remember Lenoir City before white folks and mexicans arrived. Quite peaceful. Buffalo roomed browder hollow.
oldster

Warrenton, VA

#511 Mar 15, 2013
Rick,
Not sure what happened to family business. That store extended credit and delivered!
Who Let The Dawgs Out

Manchester, TN

#512 Mar 15, 2013
I remember Keeners Mkt. you could call in your grocery list and they would shop for you and would deliver it to your house...Good Old Days! Miss it.
Big Chief Slap a Ho

Loudon, TN

#513 Mar 18, 2013
I guess everyone from the old school remembers Curtis and Carry Nail at Keener market. Curtis was a good man.
Forrest Dump

Knoxville, TN

#514 Mar 18, 2013
Keeners Meat Market out on Simpson Rd.
Who Let The Dawgs Out

Manchester, TN

#515 Mar 18, 2013
Big Chief Slap a Ho wrote:
I guess everyone from the old school remembers Curtis and Carry Nail at Keener market. Curtis was a good man.
Yeah his nickname was Tip..Good people. And they had in store credit.
Big Chief Slap a Ho

Loudon, TN

#516 Mar 19, 2013
I remember going in Kenners Market and Curtis would be behind the meat counter with his apron on.
Remember

Knoxville, TN

#517 Mar 19, 2013
Remember "Doc" Johnston behind the meat counter. Carie Nell was always dressed up. I would stop in at Wright's for candy cigarettes and big red paraphine lips, then on up to Keeners to buy baby food for my doll (pudding of course). They were always kind to us kids. Mr. And Mrs Wright were too.
I'd see my brother and boys from the neighborhood burning ants with magnifying glasses, shooting marbles, or popping caps with rocks on the sidewalk.
I remember the kids screening when the "Creature Walked Among Us" at the old movie theater downtown.
Remember

Knoxville, TN

#518 Mar 19, 2013
Forrest Dump wrote:
Keeners Meat Market out on Simpson Rd.
Tom Keener. Good guy. Gosh how many of those boys were there? At least five. Everett sold insurance and Harold worked at the White House. For some reason the Statler Brothers Class of 57 just popped to my mind.
Delivery Boy

Knoxville, TN

#519 Mar 19, 2013
I remember going in Kenners Market and Curtis would be behind the meat counter with his apron on.
He was banging the lady who worked there.
Rick

Beaumont, TX

#520 Mar 19, 2013
Mr. Keener was a really nice man. Ms. Carrie Nell was always sweet to the little kids.....I remember getting a little bag of penny candy when Mom and Dad would buy groceries there.

I guess both of them are deceased by now...

We lived at 408 w. Second Ave, so that was just a few doors away....that's where we lived when Mr. Keener became a "Cas Walker's Affiliate Store" and added onto the building......BOY was that a long time ago!!!!
Big Chief Slap a Ho

Loudon, TN

#521 Mar 19, 2013
Rick, do you have a brother in LC on Church Drive????
Bob Thompson

Ringgold, GA

#522 May 31, 2013
When Allen's close down town it will be the end of an era. Hate to see them go.
Rick

Beaumont, TX

#523 May 31, 2013
Rick, do you have a brother in LC on Church Drive????
Yep. That's my older brother Bobby. He lives in the old family homeplace.

Haven't seen him since Momma's funeral in 2003.......long, bad story.
rick tallent 1973 at yahoo
Rick

Beaumont, TX

#524 May 31, 2013
Bob Thompson wrote:
When Allen's close down town it will be the end of an era. Hate to see them go.

History is a funny thing.....you can't go back and relive it except in your memories and memoribilia, and the new generation could care less if it happened before the advent of the personal computer.

That was the "Dark Ages" and the door has closed on it.

Sad commentary: the new generation could learn so much from our and our parents' generations.
Bob Thompson

Ringgold, GA

#525 May 31, 2013
Rick, did your brother use to talk on ham radios?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone in Knoxville voting for Lying Hillary Cl... 1 hr wormwood 40
wbir/abby ham (Dec '11) 3 hr Slam jam 123
Where are the best Pokemon at?? 3 hr grimy phoxx 3
News Kingston still has $180,000 in TVA funding 4 hr jodisamples 1
Uhaul and their "environmental" fee (Apr '09) 11 hr ThomasA 23
wvlt Fri Justiceleague 20
Taco bell Jul 16 Donald 3

Lenoir City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance