Way Back When.....
First Prev
of 27
Next Last
On The Porch

United States

#1 Feb 23, 2010
Who can remember when there was a miniature rail-train running through Lenoir City Park for the kids to ride on? If you can, tell us a little bit about it.
Tennessee Boy

Knoxville, TN

#2 Feb 23, 2010
On The Porch wrote:
Who can remember when there was a miniature rail-train running through Lenoir City Park for the kids to ride on? If you can, tell us a little bit about it.
I do, but I was a very small child at the time. That is back when everyone went to the lake in the summer and wax their cars and just hung out. When the park was turned over to the City it went down hill fast. The train must have stoped running in the 1960's. Not sure. Wish my parents were alive so I could ask.
Everyone Knows

Crossville, TN

#3 Feb 24, 2010
I've heard my Mom talk about it. I think she said that it was circled that little pond (on your left when you enter by the tennis courts). I also seem to recall her saying something about a child falling off and drowning in that pond while she was still a child (that would have been the 60's) Don't know how accurate that is, but I hope this helps. :)
LC Born and Raised

Gatlinburg, TN

#4 Feb 24, 2010
I remember my grandmother talking about a child drowning there as well. And I'm pretty sure she said it was from falling from a train.
Alumni

Knoxville, TN

#5 Feb 24, 2010
Bring it back! I feel deprived, the park, as I have known it, has just been a place the high school crowd went to "park" at.
Old man of the mountains

Elizabethton, TN

#6 Feb 24, 2010
I was the conductor on that train many years ago. I remember when I'd get so drunk and fall in the pond. (Boy, was that the good old day) From conductor to the mayor of Loudon, I've come a long way.
Momof2

Crossville, TN

#7 Feb 24, 2010
I remember my mom talking about this too, so I asked her today about it. She said a little boy did drown in that pond while riding that train, she remembers the story, but said that the train was closed before she was old enough to remember it, but the tracks and the little building that it pulled into to park was still there. That was in the early 60's (she was born in '59), so maybe try searching late 50's archives. Hope this helps. I would love to see it brought back too (with some safety fences of course).
On The Porch

United States

#8 Feb 24, 2010
Very good. Now let's see if anyone can remember The Twilight Palace. These questions are part of a new Topix game I invented in my spare time called "Are You Smarter than a Podunk?" You get bonus points if you can complete this local marketing jingle

"Razmataz and other jazz.
When you need food,
__________"
4 4 3 3 <--letters in each word

You have 24 hours to submit your answers. Everyone that don't know the answer has to send me a dollar.

King Genius Podunk
On The Porch

United States

#9 Feb 24, 2010
That didn't look right after it posted. The answer to the jingle is four words. The first word has 4 letters. The second word has four also. The third and fourth words only have three letters each.
On The Porch

United States

#10 Feb 25, 2010
I'm humming the Jeopardy theme song and waiting for one of you to hit the buzzer.
loudon stud

Taft, TN

#11 Feb 25, 2010
On The Porch wrote:
I'm humming the Jeopardy theme song and waiting for one of you to hit the buzzer.
get a life.

jwe

Since: Jun 09

Taft, TN

#12 Mar 11, 2010
I kid got his head cut off is what my day said.The boy was a twin and got caught between them .
Old timer

Elizabethton, TN

#13 Mar 12, 2010
Who remembers teen time and Jess Butrum the police officer that hung out there. Adar Clark that played the records.
New Timer

Rock Island, TN

#14 Mar 12, 2010
Old timer wrote:
Who remembers teen time and Jess Butrum the police officer that hung out there. Adar Clark that played the records.
Who remembers Old Timer remembering stuff that no one gives a crap about?
New Timer

Rock Island, TN

#15 Mar 12, 2010
loudon stud wrote:
<quoted text> get a life.
There is no such thing as a Loudon stud. A Loudon Dud, maybe.

jwe

Since: Jun 09

Taft, TN

#16 Mar 12, 2010
Im not that old lol ,I do remember when we had the old walmart and the walmart we have now was just a field with that 1 house on it
The Brain

United States

#17 Mar 12, 2010
I remember Jess, I was downtown with my mother the day he got killed.
Old timer

Elizabethton, TN

#18 Mar 12, 2010
How many remember the square dances at the memorial building?
The Brain

United States

#19 Mar 12, 2010
Square dances at the memorial building were still going on into the early 80's. I ran with a kid named Tony Nowlin and his parents danced there, as did Paul (Booge) Kerley.

Since: Jul 09

lenoir city

#20 Mar 12, 2010
Old timer wrote:
How many remember the square dances at the memorial building?
that were we went to party if we didn"t have a car we had a lot of fun

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Redskins controversy does not hit home (Nov '13) 23 min Proud Native Amer... 3
sex offenders in loudon county (Aug '10) 1 hr Protect your chil... 14
Mark Green for Tennessee Governor 5 hr eddy 2
Who was the best athlete from Loudon all time? (Nov '14) 6 hr The truth 17
Best Places for View of City beside Sunsphere t... 12 hr Learning Photography 3
4x4 13 hr zeak 7
Knoxville or Asheville? (Sep '10) 19 hr South Knox Hombre 20

Lenoir City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lenoir City Mortgages