New Developments in Rarity Bay Case; ...

New Developments in Rarity Bay Case; Russell Johnson Recuses Himself

There are 17 comments on the www.knoxnews.com story from Jan 30, 2010, titled New Developments in Rarity Bay Case; Russell Johnson Recuses Himself. In it, www.knoxnews.com reports that:

In developments sure to ignite speculation over Mayor Doyle Arp's surprise announcement that he will not seek reelection, the TBI has completed its investigation of property assessment irregularities at Rarity Bay while Arp was the Loudon County Assessor.

District Attorney General Russell Johnson has apparently recused himself. State Attorney General Robert Cooper has appointed a district attorney from West Tennessee as special prosecutor in the case.

According to an article in the Knoxville News-Sentinel (see accompanying link), written by reporter Hugh Willett:

"A clerk in the assessor's office has signed an affidavit saying that Arp told her to record the changes to the Rarity appraisals in June 2005, several weeks after the official appraisals had been entered.....The affidavit also states that Arp told the clerk to destroy the official tax cards after keying in the data rather than following standard procedure of attaching the old cards to the new cards."

The same article also reports another development - one which TBI may not have looked into yet:

"Word of the completed investigation comes as Loudon County Assessor Chuck Jenkins said he also discovered irregularities in assessments of Ross-owned properties in the Rarity Pointe development near Lenoir City........Jenkins has since discovered that Arp's office made unexplained reductions in at least 35 lots belonging to (Mike) Ross in the Rarity Pointe development."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.knoxnews.com.

Smokin Joe

Sevierville, TN

#1 Jan 30, 2010
Woops. What's going to happen on this? You people who like the sheriff say he makes this stuff up. But I read that knox news.com story and he did not make any of it up.
jrwebb

Crossville, TN

#2 Jan 30, 2010
And it begins ...
POOPIE PANTS

United States

#3 Jan 30, 2010
Who is he supportin for sheriff wonder????
Wonder no more

Oak Ridge, TN

#4 Jan 30, 2010
How many of you yahoos voted for barack stating change and hope was the way? I could care less who he supports? Joe Sims supports Steve and so do other crooks. Wait! Sims is not included in this scenario because he isn't a legal voter, but a felon!
jrwebb

Crossville, TN

#5 Jan 30, 2010
Wonder no more wrote:
How many of you yahoos voted for barack stating change and hope was the way? I could care less who he supports? Joe Sims supports Steve and so do other crooks. Wait! Sims is not included in this scenario because he isn't a legal voter, but a felon!
In yet another stunning example of desperation and intellectual poverty, the Guider campaign, lacking any lucid argument to make, seeks to impugn Steve Cook by citing Joe Sims' support for Cook.

While I'm sure it would be difficult for some since the record is not rendered in crayon, it is still possible with a little research to discover that as Sheriff, Joe Sims hired and worked two promising young deputies of note: Steve Cook, and Tim Guider. Is it an indictment that he thought more of one than the other?
Puzzled

Rock Island, TN

#6 Jan 30, 2010
How did this thread go from Rarity Bay/Arp/Ross to Tim Guider and Steve Cook. I don't get the connection?

Since: Jun 07

Sevierville, TN

#7 Jan 30, 2010
Puzzled wrote:
How did this thread go from Rarity Bay/Arp/Ross to Tim Guider and Steve Cook. I don't get the connection?
It turned at post #3.
Loudon Voter

Lewisburg, TN

#8 Jan 30, 2010
Same as every blog Guider supporters finding a way to bash Cook. All the can say is Joe Sims is supporting him, Please let Poor ole Joe Sims rest he has paid his due. Didnt use his power and friends to dodge the bullet. Remember Aikens and Billy hall could be brought to trial any time. Who Know what will come out when Steve takers over. Just like when Chuck took over.
jrwebb

Crossville, TN

#9 Jan 30, 2010
Puzzled wrote:
Its a good question but there is a (very) slight connection. The same political apparatus that brought you Doyle Arp brought you the Aikens junta, and both regimes are protected by the same District Attorney General.
Who Cares

Knoxville, TN

#10 Jan 30, 2010
jrwebb wrote:
<quoted text>
Its a good question but there is a (very) slight connection. The same political apparatus that brought you Doyle Arp brought you the Aikens junta, and both regimes are protected by the same District Attorney General.
Are you going to say they were protected by the former DA also. Guider and Arp have been in power in some form for quite a while. This makes the 3rd DA that I can remember since they started.

But seriously folks. The whole thread started off with some dolt saying something about the sheriff in the opening post. Nothing about the thread at all. Geez! Go over to Jr's "10 reasons not to vote for Tim Guider" or " Why I hate Tony Aikens" or the whatever it is thread and spread the love over there.
jrwebb

Crossville, TN

#11 Jan 30, 2010
Who Cares wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you going to say they were protected by the former DA also. Guider and Arp have been in power in some form for quite a while. This makes the 3rd DA that I can remember since they started.
But seriously folks. The whole thread started off with some dolt saying something about the sheriff in the opening post. Nothing about the thread at all. Geez! Go over to Jr's "10 reasons not to vote for Tim Guider" or " Why I hate Tony Aikens" or the whatever it is thread and spread the love over there.
Nope ... I referred to the one DA who has covered for both of them (and others) since his recent election. Oh, and thanks for the advice about what I should post where. I'll give it all the consideration I think it deserves.
Justice for all

United States

#12 Jan 30, 2010
I thought Mike Ross was a smart operator yet he doesn't even know that he needs to pay off Bud Gilbert's law firm to stay out of trouble in Loudon County. If he had hired Gilbert for something, it doesn't matter for what since Gilbert works on other cases or plays games on his laptop while racking up time sitting in on meetings, the DAG would have assigned Gilbert to investigate these charges and the whole thing would have been written off as a misunderstanding and business as usual. I am surprised that Arp isn't in on the inside loop since he managed to work his way up to County Mayor. What happened there Arp? Didn't you march to their tune? Oh yes. Didn't Ross cross one of Gilbert's buddies in one of his deals? Oh what a tangled web we weave....They are all in it up to their eyeballs. Has anyone checked to see how many lots in Tellico Village are getting this sweetheart deal on taxes too?
jrwebb

United States

#13 Jan 30, 2010
And that's not much.
Wondering

Corbin, KY

#14 Jan 31, 2010
jrwebb wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope ... I referred to the one DA who has covered for both of them (and others) since his recent election. Oh, and thanks for the advice about what I should post where. I'll give it all the consideration I think it deserves.
Gosh Jr, for an educated man you did not see that I was not talking about you posting to a different thread. The person I was referring to is the dolt who wrote the first comment in this thread. Geez! Between you (jrwebb) and Devilbiss, you'd think everyone was out to get you or talk about you. It's not all about you, or me either for that matter. You stated your comment on the current DA, I was just curious if you lumped the other DA's in that political regime also as if they were tied in with them. Maybe you should start a thread for all the "haters". With the crowd on most of these pages, it'd be a big hit.
Wally

Morristown, TN

#15 Jan 31, 2010
jrwebb wrote:
<quoted text>
There it is. They are all in on it. When you do not have the respect of your community and you are on the outside looking in then all the people on the inside are corrupt and crooked.
Who is jrwebb

United States

#16 Jan 31, 2010
jrwebb couldn't find his own hind-end if it had a whistle stuck in it. Every issue to him leads back to Tim Guider and Tony Aikens. He's obsessed and more than just a little paranoid. He wears Steve Cook Super Hero Underoos and keeps a toy batphone in his car. He talks politics a lot, but isn't legally able to register to vote. He also suffers from ETS or Exploding Thesaurus Syndrome.
tennessee big man

Taft, TN

#17 Feb 1, 2010
Loudon Voter wrote:
Same as every blog Guider supporters finding a way to bash Cook. All the can say is Joe Sims is supporting him, Please let Poor ole Joe Sims rest he has paid his due. Didnt use his power and friends to dodge the bullet. Remember Aikens and Billy hall could be brought to trial any time. Who Know what will come out when Steve takers over. Just like when Chuck took over.
how in the hell do you get Aikens and Hall could be brought to trial at any time.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lenoir City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Saw mill at norma 2 hr Just curious 1
Darrell Arnold - Upwardmove and ORMetal 5 hr Epic Fail 1
Rebel Flag (Jul '15) Sun PrinceLC 8
County or city cops? (Oct '14) Sun Just a guy 14
is brian nichols a good attorney (Sep '11) Aug 16 Rockmontana 33
looking for a reasonable monthly rental Aug 11 tammylynn 1
New to town Aug 11 tammylynn 1

Lenoir City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance