Repeal restaurant tax defeated 4-3 Mayor Thomason casting the tie-breaking vote

Posted in the Leitchfield Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Truth

Vine Grove, KY

#1 Jan 22, 2013
Mayor William Thomason cast the tie-breaking vote.
when the Mayor did this in E-town he lost his bid for RE-ELECTION, and I will be voting against Mr. Thomason in the future!
It also fulfilled newly-elected council member Jerry Schlosser’s campaign promise to attempt to repeal the tax
I want to say THANK YOU to Mr Schlosser for being a man of his word and to Harold Miller and Margaret Fey for standing with us and trying to get rid of this ADDITIONAL TAX that has been forced upon us!!!
http://www.gcnewsgazette.com/view/full_story/... ?
A bid to repeal Leitchfield’s 3 percent sales tax on prepared foods was narrowly defeated at the Monday, Jan. 7, city council meeting, with Mayor William Thomason casting the tie-breaking vote against the measure.
The vote followed a sometimes spirited public debate on the merits of the tax, how its proceeds should be spent, and the city’s vision for the future.
It also fulfilled newly-elected council member Jerry Schlosser’s campaign promise to attempt to repeal the tax. Near the end of the meeting he made a motion to repeal the tax retroactive to Jan. 1, saying he knew it “might be controversial, but I’ve got to do what I think is right.”
His, fellow new council member Harold Miller, and Margaret Fey voted in favor of the motion. Steven Elder, Raymond “Tooty” Cottrell and Billy Dallas voted against it.
The meeting started with comments against the tax from local resident Ann Huff, who said she and her husband eat out frequently and are feeling the tax’s effects. She estimated they’ve spent about $440 eating out since October, which would include about $14 in taxes.
Huff said she’s opposed to the tax in general, but specifically disagrees with its potential use to fund a new outdoor swimming pool on the city’s southeast side — something she termed “a ridiculous thing to spend so much money on.”
Larry and Cathy Durst spoke in favor of the tax, arguing it can help Leitchfield pay for recreational and development projects it couldn’t otherwise tackle.
“I think this one particular thing (a repeal vote) is a bad turn in the wrong direction,” he said, adding he believed a lot of people would be upset if the tax were repealed.
Jay Dinwiddie, one of the owners of the Alice Theater and Alexander Hotel, also spoke in favor of the tax, saying most people “don’t see or feel it” and that it even being an issue “indicates some people aren’t thinking clearly.
He noted restaurant tax funding is a possible source of money to renovate the old theater complex, and said if the city messes up this opportunity it likely won’t get another one to stop the site from becoming low-income housing.
Elder noted that Bardstown has had a restaurant tax since 1977, and has invested the money in downtown renovations and improvements.
The mayor also spoke in favor of the tax, noting that if frees up other city monies that can be used on upgrading equipment and other services.
TAX

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Jan 22, 2013
I for one, am tired of seeing public officials act as if taxes are money that magically comes out of thin air. Sure the tax "frees up" the city's money, but it does so by taking from my pocket. It isn't magic, but more like stealing.
who cares

Leitchfield, KY

#3 Jan 22, 2013
Like it or hate people need to be smart enough to realize that projects have already beed bank rolled that depend on the tax. With that said if this tax is repealed another local tax will have to increase to cover debt already incurred.

This is the smartest tax that the city has ever adopted in regards to local citizens b/c it taxes people who pass through our town and use our restaurants as equally as us, instead of being a direct tax that only city residents pay.

Be glad that out of towners are helping pay the bills!!!!
TAX

Elizabethtown, KY

#4 Jan 22, 2013
There are other ways to pay debt besides never ending taxes. Selling the indebted property or another of equal value is one effective way.
Politician

Hodgenville, KY

#5 Jan 22, 2013
the people of Leitchfield research your cities city classification.

Make sure that your politicians are not ILLEGALLY trying to impose this tax, which is exactly the case in Elizabethtown.

Based in your city's population helps to "DEFINE" your city's classification and subsequent restuarant tax.

As your polulation increases, your city classification changes. Restaurant taxes were designed to aid small townships with relatively small populations to help keep the business and town afloat.
Legal

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Jan 22, 2013
Politician wrote:
the people of Leitchfield research your cities city classification.
Make sure that your politicians are not ILLEGALLY trying to impose this tax, which is exactly the case in Elizabethtown.
Based in your city's population helps to "DEFINE" your city's classification and subsequent restuarant tax.
As your polulation increases, your city classification changes. Restaurant taxes were designed to aid small townships with relatively small populations to help keep the business and town afloat.
Leitchfield is well within its legal classification. Class 4th and 5th cities can impose a restaurant tax. Their population would have to grow 19% to get above the 8.000 threshold. It will be a while.
Politician

Hodgenville, KY

#7 Jan 22, 2013
Legal wrote:
<quoted text>
Leitchfield is well within its legal classification. Class 4th and 5th cities can impose a restaurant tax. Their population would have to grow 19% to get above the 8.000 threshold. It will be a while.
Then what is Leitchfield's current Population?

Then what is Leitchfield's current city Classification?

Does Leitchfield 'Politico's' wish to change the current status of its current classification to another class?
Really

Elizabethtown, KY

#8 Jan 22, 2013
Politician wrote:
<quoted text>Then what is Leitchfield's current Population?
Then what is Leitchfield's current city Classification?
Does Leitchfield 'Politico's' wish to change the current status of its current classification to another class?
Current class is 4. Pop is 6,699.
TAXES

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Jan 23, 2013
Well with the surplus money Leitchfield has. Is everyone except a few afraid of the mayor? I don't understand why we don't tax in a election year!!! Oh,, I forgot the council and mayor wants our vote. I was told by one of them that that it's the only time. I ask them why they raise taxes as often as they do? He said because they can! Is that right?
Local gov

Elizabethtown, KY

#11 Jan 23, 2013
TAXES wrote:
Well with the surplus money Leitchfield has. Is everyone except a few afraid of the mayor? I don't understand why we don't tax in a election year!!! Oh,, I forgot the council and mayor wants our vote. I was told by one of them that that it's the only time. I ask them why they raise taxes as often as they do? He said because they can! Is that right?
Thank goodness that Leitchfield has a surplus. Grayson County Fiscal Court has a surplus. I believe our local government balances their budgets. Thank goodness they don't have to borrow from china like our federal government.
Please

Elizabethtown, KY

#12 Jan 23, 2013
Everybody wants something for nothing. I doubt most people even noticed when it took effect. They complained about $14 over a 4 month period, thats 3.50 per month. If they paid $25 for their meal thats 18 meals or $1.28 per meal.
TAX

Elizabethtown, KY

#13 Jan 23, 2013
@Please- I certainly don't want something for nothing -What I do want is nothing for nothing. In other words, no pool, and no tax. I am already paying enough taxes to the city.
Please

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Jan 23, 2013
@tax, So you ok with no future improvements to the city? No new infrastructure. No parks or recreation for the kids... nothing?
TAX

Elizabethtown, KY

#15 Jan 23, 2013
It has already been stated that the city has a funds surplus. So it makes sense to wait for that surplus to grow using the revenue streams already in place.- i.e. quit spending money we don't have, and pay for improvements with cash in hand instead of debt. Infrastructure that comes with the price of never ending taxes is usually a bad deal for all but a few. We have an example of that already.

The parks we already have are little used, and besides recreation for kids is not the government's responsibility anyway. Kids these days spend too much time on recreation and too little on school and useful work, no wonder half of them never grow up and take on responsibility.
resident

Hodgenville, KY

#16 Jan 23, 2013
When and why is the hospital tax on my property tax bill? I am fairly new to the area so please enlighten me, politely. Thank you
TAX

Elizabethtown, KY

#17 Jan 23, 2013
The "hospital tax" was enacted in the mid 70's ostensibly to fund a bond issue which was to pay for construction of a new hospital on Wallace Avenue. That facility was built and my understanding is that the original bonds have long since been paid off. However, the tax continues since further bond issues have been made to finance apparently never ending expansion of what is now Twin Lakes Regional Medical Center.
Please

Elizabethtown, KY

#18 Jan 23, 2013
How did we get that surplus? How does it grow and get used at the same time? I understand your point though. You dont want to pay anything and expect nothing in return. Seems fair enough but I doubt it would work long.You do realize the majority of the income coming from the restaurant tax comes from outside the city? Anyway all the restaurant talk has made me hungry, going to go donate a few cents.
TAX

Elizabethtown, KY

#19 Jan 23, 2013
That is a great point. Since the majority of food tax income is from out of county residents, then why not enact a refund procedure-i.e. turn in your food receipts to city hall at the year end and get a refund? People who are passing thru won't bother, and people who live here and are not in favor of the tax have a way to get most of it back. Those who live here and think the tax is great can toss their receipts or use them for toilet paper. Problem solved.
LMFAO

Elizabethtown, KY

#20 Jan 23, 2013
TAX wrote:
That is a great point. Since the majority of food tax income is from out of county residents, then why not enact a refund procedure-i.e. turn in your food receipts to city hall at the year end and get a refund? People who are passing thru won't bother, and people who live here and are not in favor of the tax have a way to get most of it back. Those who live here and think the tax is great can toss their receipts or use them for toilet paper. Problem solved.
Yeah I really see a lot of people holding onto their McDee's receipts and turning them in. "Can I please have my 3 pennies back?" LMFAO. You people are so funny. If you want to rebate the money, reduce the property tax for the citizens.
Some points Ican agree

Elizabethtown, KY

#21 Jan 23, 2013
TAX wrote:
Got a few questions for the law makers:

1.How does the restaurant tax benefit the restaurant owner?

2.How does it benefit the waitress/waiter?

I would rather treat the waitress/waiter with a few more dollars and cents than to feel i must short the waitress/waiter,understanding that i have to pay more in taxation because I made the choice to dine out.

It is not the waitress/waiter fault yet I know that many are bareing that burden at below minimum wage pay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leitchfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jousha brown 3 hr boom 7
Im going to be in Leitchfield if anyone wants t... 4 hr Jungle 12
Heroin problem in Grayson County 8 hr Jungle 26
piano lessons 21 hr Puk 3
Tracey Clark 22 hr wondering 3
Josh Stone 22 hr wondering 2
drunks Sat Truth 8
More from around the web

Leitchfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE