Sides exchange barbs in Quinn's land dispute - The Park Record

Full story: Park Record 18
A state senator has introduced a bill that could pave the way for a movie studio to be built at Quinn's Junction. Full Story
Greg Ericksen

Salt Lake City, UT

#1 Feb 26, 2011
The County claims they are open to a movie studio if Quinn's Junction would submit an application. The problem is that for 23 years we have submitted several applications that have never been processed. For example on November 8, 2004 we submitted an application to the County that would have allowed a movie studio. We paid our $500 fee and the County never acted upon it. They never put it on an agenda, never scheduled a hearing, never said a word. Now they can quibble over whether the application would have allowed a studio, but the fact is they stonewalled it, just like they have stonewalled us for 23 years. The only excuse they offer is that there was a policy that the county would not process an application if there is litigation. That's rope-a-dope! There is no evidence of a such a written policy. Further, the Burbidges sued the county on January 28, 2004 (civil no. 040500062 MI)and the county processed their application to commercial zoning on July 27, 2005. So its a policy against our application but not against other applications! The county offers that the Burbidge put their litigation on standstill. So did Quinn's Junction for years with the latest occurring on October 15, 2004.(see civil no. 950300004) A national land use consultant hired by Summit County and Park City, costing the taxpayers $100,000 also noted this illegal conduct by the county. That is approving some applications and not even processing others. That report was shredded so the public could not see it. Today it has been removed from the public records of both jurisdictions. Summit County and Park City, why not make that public for all to see?Furthermore the Arbitrator did find that Quinn's Property was zoned commercial in the late 1980's and early 1990s. We had vested rights in that zoning! Now the county minimizes that, but that fact of the matter is that a former federal judge sent a strong message to the county that Quinn's Partnership property was not zoned 1 house per 40 acres but had a commercial zoning on it. The arbitrator did not find that "at most had a vested right to 4000 square-foot truck stop" The arbitrator found that Quinn's claims on the rest of the property were not ripe. Meaning that if we could show that filing applications with the county was futile, the we may prevail on a vested right in the entire property. We have that evidence in spades. The most recent example is the 2004 application that was never acknowledged now for 7 years while we continue to dutifully pay our property taxes.
If the county and Park City want our property as totally open space, like they constantly say out of one side of their mouth, condemn it and pay us highest and best use. Don't try and steal it for pennies on the dollar. Just be honest and say that's what we want and file your condemnation action! If you want a major motion picture studio, like 64% of the public said they do in an opinion poll, then lets work this out. But that can't be 85,000 sq ft on 3 acres under the CT zone. That's right, to get a CT zone we have to give up 80% of our land as open space, another 3 acres for affordable housing and parking. We also can't locate a studio on contaminated land or next to land that will be a super fund site if someone doesn't pay an estimated $800 million to clean it up. You can't just look at the triangle cleanup of $500,000. You have to look at the adjoining land and water pollution, that yes will cost $800 million to clean up. Its time for you folks to be responsible and honest in your dealings with your community and private land owners.
Greg Ericksen
goaway

Kamas, UT

#2 Feb 26, 2011
Build it in the Valley. I can assure you that if you ask the citizens of Park City and Western Summit county, 64% will not want this facility here.
PRO STUDIO

Park City, UT

#3 Feb 26, 2011
goaway wrote:
Build it in the Valley. I can assure you that if you ask the citizens of Park City and Western Summit county, 64% will not want this facility here.
It's ironic that your name and my opinion of you is the same thing. Unfortunately, your position represents only 36% of those who do not want this facility. I am citizen of Park City, and I want the facility here. Perhaps you should make like your name and take a hike...
Don

United States

#4 Feb 26, 2011
I think the studio on Mr. Eriksen's land is a great idea.Im local to Park City and I support it.
Don

United States

#5 Feb 26, 2011
Sorry "Ericksen"
goaway

Kamas, UT

#6 Feb 26, 2011
PRO STUDIO wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ironic that your name and my opinion of you is the same thing. Unfortunately, your position represents only 36% of those who do not want this facility. I am citizen of Park City, and I want the facility here. Perhaps you should make like your name and take a hike...
I guess you have something to gain from it financially.

Tell us about the specifics of the poll you keep referencing.
PRO STUDIO

Park City, UT

#7 Feb 26, 2011
goaway wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. I do have something to gain from it financially and so do you! We all will gain from this facility. The jobs and growth alone will be astronomical to the community; not to mention state wide.

There was a pole awhile back in the Park Record; you should be able to look it up. I became aware of another pole taken at a public meeting in early February. Unfortunately, I don't have copies of these poles.

Will you please share why you are not in favor of a movie studio on Quinn's land? What is at stake for you if the facility does or does not undergo construction?
PRO STUDIO

Park City, UT

#8 Feb 26, 2011
goaway wrote:
<quoted text>
Also - Just to clarify, there was a scientific poll created by a polling company. I can't remember who took it but it showed solid support for a movie studio. As I remember it was approx 64% in favor of the movie studio at Qunn's
Welcome Raleigh

Lehi, UT

#9 Feb 27, 2011
Quinns Jct. and Summit County are the perfect place for your studios. Summit County has artistic, talented and friendly people, fabulous amenities, a beautiful environment and Sundance. I don't understand why anyone would be opposed to this fantastic opportunity.
I am glad Senator Madsen is helping get this through because there has been no shortage of the cronies only zoning that has been Summit County's policy so far. It is about time someone stepped in to help other private property owners.
level playing field

Lehi, UT

#10 Feb 27, 2011
The Coyle Report confirms that Quinns Junction was a perfect location for major commercial development. It is unfortunate that Stephen Coyle was fired by Park City officials before his recommendations could be made available to the public. The Park City officials involved in this deceitful action should be fired/removed from office. These officials deceived the public and waisted $100,000 of taxpayers' money. Moreover, isn't it shameful that Park City is a partner in a major development just south of Quinns junction and has the zoning power to approve their own project, while rejecting the Raleigh Studio project?
Raleigh Studio is a perfect fit for Quinns Junction/Park City.
oldtowner

Midvale, UT

#11 Feb 27, 2011
What a joke. Lets see, Ericksen and his convicted felon partner buy a down-zoned peice of property near a booming market. Well, manifest destiny being what it is, they feel they should be able to build whatever they wish, barring nothing. After all it is their land and, zoning laws be damned, they should do as they wish!(I wonder how that philosophy would play out if their neighbor decided to build a machine shop next to their house, but that is another debate) In any event, they have proposed a movie studio that no one wants other than the little letter-writing campaign by the friends and family of Ericksen on this blog (which isn probably just Ericksen using straw names). Ericksen's plan is to get the zoning and then not build the studio, but to then switch uses to big-box commercial. Raleigh (or anyone else) is not going to build a studio at 7,000 feet, next to a highway in a location that already has massive traffic issues. Total bull. Please, Planning Commish and County Council DO NOT approve this upzone!
Futuristic

Plymouth, MN

#12 Feb 27, 2011
I have lived in Park City all of my life and have I am all for SB231! I think Park City is the perfect place for a major motion picture studio, let's take the next step.
Welcome to Park City

Park City, UT

#13 Feb 27, 2011
I am 25 years old and have lived in Park City my whole life and, incidentally, I am neither a friend nor a family member of the developer. I am for the movie studio being built at Quinn's junction because I believe it will enhance the economic development of the area and the state in general. After reading the arguments posted, it is difficult to understand the argument that the studio should not be built at the 'backdoor' entrance to Park City when the proposed property is adjacent to a hospital, industrial park, gravel pit, and self storage center. If I am to understand this logic, it seems to me that a movie studio that makes movies would be an improvement to an area formerly famous for Geneva rock and concrete and oh! let's not forget Park City municipal's brand new water treatment facility, and wait...isn't there also an EPA superfund site nearby? As emotionally charged as these A priori objections are, they are neither logical or cogent. Given the landscape of the area, you cannot possibly attack the location because putting the movie studio at Quinn's would be the equivalent of putting a Neimanmarcus in a strip mall, which I would consider to be an improvement. So now that you cannot possibly defend your argument concerning the location, let us talk about the developer. It might seem logical for you, considering your other specious claims, to try and accuse this man of being a criminal when in reality there is absolutely no evidence beyond the rhetoric and conjecture of the public officials attempting to arbitrarily derail this project despite it's widespread support in the state. I know for a fact that most of the officials that have spoken out against the studio have a great deal to answer for when malfeasance is concerned. These officials are about as credible in their claims about this developer as Bernie Madoff is in giving financial advice. Since it is a fact that the developer has never even been charged with or suspected of any crime whatsoever. The county and city officials claims are further sullied by the fact that the county participated in the real estate business for over ten years with convicted child molester develop Keith Kelly. The city also does not have clean hands having recently partnered with the states largest developer to build 6 million sqft on property just down the road what happens to be affordable housing. You might say well the developer donated money to a senator...well guess what, that as a matter of law is not unethical or illegal. If it were Summit County and Park City would be equally guilty for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars every year on lobbyists to help them push similar resolutions. So for those who just don't want the movie studio because you like running down the poison rail trail and don't want your sensational view of the hospital and gravel pit encumbered by a tinsel town ritzy industry then while we are at it let's do away with The Sundance Film Festival, Deer Valley, and every other reason this place is worth putting on the map? Have you stopped to consider how much open space a movie studio tax based could buy, let alone the other high end economic influences that would surely follow flocking here more than they already do bringing business to a suffering economy? While you are at it, try not making emotional arguments with absolutely no evidence and even less reasons. I would like to welcome the movie studio and any prospective strip mall, research park, or car dealership to consider Quinn's there is a lot of extra property floating around. Thank you.
Welcome Raleigh Studios

Park City, UT

#14 Feb 27, 2011
I have yet to hear a truly compelling argument for why the studios should not be built at Quinns Junction. It seems that people have formed an emotional opinion/response without really looking at the amazing benefits the studio would bring to our local and state economies. I would love to hear specifics for why some bloggers are so opposed beyond their already juvenile responses. Why people are so concerned about the location is also beyond me. How wonderful is it that we have a location that is ideal for a development like this, and a developer whose vision is to realize the best potential possible for this property and the future of the film industry in Utah. This is an opportunity for Park City and Summit County to embrace positive change--a change that will not affect the beauty or prestige of the area in any way and will only enhance the state's potential for bringing in more money that can be used for education, providing excellent jobs, and creating a new tax base to draw from. Park City is the obvious choice because of the film festival, not to mention it is a place people from around the world seek to visit.
I am 22, I am an actor, I live in Park City, and I support Raleigh Studios coming to Quinns Junction.
Park City

South Jordan, UT

#15 Feb 28, 2011
level playing field wrote:
The Coyle Report confirms that Quinns Junction was a perfect location for major commercial development. It is unfortunate that Stephen Coyle was fired by Park City officials before his recommendations could be made available to the public. The Park City officials involved in this deceitful action should be fired/removed from office. These officials deceived the public and waisted $100,000 of taxpayers' money. Moreover, isn't it shameful that Park City is a partner in a major development just south of Quinns junction and has the zoning power to approve their own project, while rejecting the Raleigh Studio project?
Raleigh Studio is a perfect fit for Quinns Junction/Park City.
The only fit is the blah blah blah coming from yout pie hole..
Park City

South Jordan, UT

#16 Feb 28, 2011
Welcome Raleigh Studios wrote:
I have yet to hear a truly compelling argument for why the studios should not be built at Quinns Junction. It seems that people have formed an emotional opinion/response without really looking at the amazing benefits the studio would bring to our local and state economies. I would love to hear specifics for why some bloggers are so opposed beyond their already juvenile responses. Why people are so concerned about the location is also beyond me. How wonderful is it that we have a location that is ideal for a development like this, and a developer whose vision is to realize the best potential possible for this property and the future of the film industry in Utah. This is an opportunity for Park City and Summit County to embrace positive change--a change that will not affect the beauty or prestige of the area in any way and will only enhance the state's potential for bringing in more money that can be used for education, providing excellent jobs, and creating a new tax base to draw from. Park City is the obvious choice because of the film festival, not to mention it is a place people from around the world seek to visit.
I am 22, I am an actor, I live in Park City, and I support Raleigh Studios coming to Quinns Junction.
Then use your real name, Mr. Actor, We don't want Burbank in Park City.
PRO STUDIO

Park City, UT

#17 Feb 28, 2011
Park City wrote:
<quoted text>
The only fit is the blah blah blah coming from yout pie hole..
What does this even mean? Personal attacks are easy... intelligence takes some work. Practice practice practice.
Townie

Park City, UT

#18 Feb 28, 2011
PRO STUDIO wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this even mean? Personal attacks are easy... intelligence takes some work. Practice practice practice.
I agree with PROSTUDIO (who would have thought it?). In response to the Yuma, AZ IP posting, I have presented plenty of fact (and my opinion) in other threads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lehi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to retrieve deleted text messages from iPho... (May '13) Sat zkiiked 37
Fatal police shooting in Utah fuels racial cont... Dec 1 stationary 2
Nonprofit organization helps low-income familie... Nov '14 PowerOfChoice 1
Edgy tech inventions debut at Engadget Expand NY Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Fatal shooting at LDS church (Jan '08) Nov '14 Debbie 24
More Oct '14 Harper 1
5 things to do in Utah during fall Sep '14 Qnique Quilter 1
Lehi Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web