Judge suspends jail time for second S...

Judge suspends jail time for second Sundance hoodlum - The Park...

There are 20 comments on the Park Record story from Feb 9, 2010, titled Judge suspends jail time for second Sundance hoodlum - The Park.... In it, Park Record reports that:

The second man to face charges stemming from a violent attack during the 2009 Sundance Film Festival pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts during an early February court appearance, acknowledging that took part in a confrontation on Main Street that left a festival-goer with terrible injuries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

Park City

Salt Lake City, UT

#1 Feb 9, 2010
what a Joke,, He deserves jail time, Especially for missing the court date,, I'm ashamed of the court system..
TheBoosh

Tempe, AZ

#2 Feb 9, 2010
Judge kerr, the biggest slime to crawl up the beach, renders her considered opinion and sentences this individual to the most lenient terms possible. Is it truly her honest opinion as a citizen, lawyer, judge, that someone who confronts and beats another person to a bloody, unrecognizable pulp is rehabilitated and adequately punished under the laws of the land with a little community service? It is indefensible and, moreover, shameful that someone so mediocre in their values and ethics can rise to the level of a Judge.
Peter

Heber City, UT

#3 Feb 10, 2010
I would think that owing off court dates alone would lead to the max sentence with a guilty plea. He gets only 20 days though, and even that is suspended? I don't get it.
pc guy

United States

#4 Feb 10, 2010
this judge needs to be replaced immediately. wow mind boggling and a blow to all law abiding citizens. I hope the civil judge has some guts.
holy cow

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Feb 10, 2010
perfect last name for you, mrs kerr. who did you blow to become a judge? or was it anal? worthless sack of curshit.

and the steamroller of justice keeps rolling

check out what some of those who experienced her in W Jordan have to say. thank god you are up in summit county now.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/park-city-ut/...
Park City

Salt Lake City, UT

#6 Feb 10, 2010
PC guy, One would like to think that the Judge has some guts, apparently not, they are right along side thier Kahonies,,, in someones pocket....what a disgrace this judgment is,, shame, shame... and very embarrassing for the community, I think anyway,,
Park City

Salt Lake City, UT

#7 Feb 10, 2010
Holy Cow.... Holy Cow! well put,,
we don;t want her... they put her here because not much happens,, ha ha how can she mess that up?? oops,, to late,, she did,,
razor

West Jordan, UT

#8 Feb 10, 2010
sheesh...well put Holy Cow. Is she an elected or appointed position or is she permanent? anyone know?
Outsider

West Jordan, UT

#9 Feb 10, 2010
Yep this is a travesty of justice. Our criminal justice system is broken and as long as clowns like the judge and the criminal who she set free are allowed to roam the streets we are screwed big time. This just sends a message to all the criminals out there that it is ok to come to Park City and break the law as you will be set free.
hey now

West Jordan, UT

#10 Feb 10, 2010
wow, way to go JUDGE.. i wonder how much she got paid off. Anyone with common sense wouldn't have made such a mistake.

come on people of park city, revolt. let's get these fools out of here!

Since: Jan 10

Park City

#11 Feb 11, 2010
If the victim agreed with the sentence who are we to second guess the ruling? None of us were privy to all of the details the judge, etc. were.

South Jordan, UT

#12 Feb 11, 2010
To answer "razor", Shauna Kerr was appointed, not elected. When Judge Lynn Sadler retired last year, the Summit Country Nominating Commission nominated three people for the position. The final decision was left to Brian Bellamy, Summit Country Interim County Manager, whose chose to appoint Kerr.

Here are the requirements to be a Justice Court judge in Summit County:

"To be considered for the position, candidates must be at least 25 years of age, a citizen of the United States, a resident of Utah for at least three years, and have earned a high school diploma or GED."

To be fair, Shauna Kerr does have a law degree, although I believe her experience in law has more to do with land use and municipal issues. I was unable to find information about her having any experience with criminal law, or having practiced trial law of any kind.
Peter

Heber City, UT

#13 Feb 11, 2010
lower case dave wrote:
If the victim agreed with the sentence who are we to second guess the ruling? None of us were privy to all of the details the judge, etc. were.
it isn't clear the victim agreed with the ultimate sentence, just with the plea deal. What's the point of a guilty plea if the thug gets to walk?
1opinion

Cleveland, OH

#14 Feb 11, 2010
The victim was agreeing to the pleas deal prior to the skip out on court date. The felon has skipped out on 2 court dates now having warrants put on him and then the judge does this, the felon has given a signal that it's okay to mock the law because Summit county has a judge that is easy. Way to go Kerr, why don't you just let everyone that comes through your court off, we need more people like the criminals on the street. This case has proven more and more why the judicial system stinks.
mack

Woodbine, MD

#15 Feb 11, 2010
Liberal jugdge=crime run amok.
Slick

San Francisco, CA

#16 Feb 11, 2010
If I didn't know better I would think this story came out in the April 1st edition.

South Jordan, UT

#17 Feb 11, 2010
Peter and 1opinion have pointed out something significant: the victim agreed to a plea on the original crime, but that did NOT include consideration of the two no-shows on court dates. That alone should have been reason for jail time. And the non-elected judge lets him off. A non-elected judge who was appointed by an interim county manager. How depressing. BTW, Kerr is NOT "liberal"; apparently she is just an incompetent wuss.
go golf

Salt Lake City, UT

#18 Feb 12, 2010
Kerr administers justice on the back 9 holes of the golf course, where deals are made. Any local lawyer will tell you that. Probably how this deal was cut.
razor

Salt Lake City, UT

#19 Feb 12, 2010
go golf wrote:
Kerr administers justice on the back 9 holes of the golf course, where deals are made. Any local lawyer will tell you that. Probably how this deal was cut.
back seat, too, probably.
Steve

Salt Lake City, UT

#20 Feb 23, 2010
Guys - Didn't the real purpose of the "legal" system prevail? All the lawyers made money, nothing else really matters. Appeals, more money, the system works better. Civil court, more money, the system works even better.

Get a clue - we are all screwed unless legal reform becomes a reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lehi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Android Data Recovery-Restore Deleted Contacts ... (Jul '15) May '16 Kolpoiu 7
Romney Picks Anti-Christ Paul Ryan as V. President May '16 small water pro 2
Why would you hire a property manager? Apr '16 -jayson- 2
How to retrieve deleted text messages from iPho... (May '13) Apr '16 davvveven 44
Confession (Feb '15) Apr '16 Utah_ute 8
The simply way to convert WLMP to MP4, MOV, AVI... (Dec '15) Apr '16 Shally_evan 3
Cubans Get U.S. Welfare Checks in Cuba Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1

Lehi Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lehi Mortgages