Furloughs at FT. Polk
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
easy

Welsh, LA

#1 May 30, 2013
OK, what do you think? I think its B.S. I see so much money wasted on crap at FT Polk that you have to laugh. There will be alot of younger people going under, they are just makeing it by right now as it is. I think the anger classes Polk has for the people being Furlough is really going to help (not). They tell you how much they care as they are dumping on you. I don't blame Polk for this,our goverment has been heading this way for a long time. I'm just mad about working my whole life, serving in two wars and having to take care of extended family and just getting to the light at the end of the tunnel and some one turns it off. I just had to vent a little. We will make it but it still sucks.
Too Lazy To Sign In

Merryville, LA

#2 May 30, 2013
Im confused.....

“Sneaking up on you”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#3 May 30, 2013
Too Lazy To Sign In wrote:
Im confused.....
About what ? Looks like this person is upset that he is being cut from a 40 hour work week to a 32 hour work week and going off a GS- 7 pay rate he'll lose out around 600.00 per month for the next 3 months thanks to Barry and his house of cards.

Not confusing at all

Since: Feb 12

Leesville Louisiana

#4 May 30, 2013
Man, you must be clairvoyant! You read all kinds of s--t from post #1 that I don't see.
Ghostsniper389 wrote:
<quoted text>
About what ? Looks like this person is upset that he is being cut from a 40 hour work week to a 32 hour work week and going off a GS- 7 pay rate he'll lose out around 600.00 per month for the next 3 months thanks to Barry and his house of cards.
Not confusing at all

“Sneaking up on you”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#5 May 30, 2013
bembh wrote:
Man, you must be clairvoyant! You read all kinds of s--t from post #1 that I don't see.
<quoted text>
Yes I am !
cajonrider

Leesville, LA

#6 May 30, 2013
Furloughs are a fact my wife signed her notification letter yesterday begins July I think she said for 11 weeks.
mr rogers
#7 May 30, 2013
11 days this fiscal year or 88 hours. but i am sure many will feel the blow. many live pay check to pay check but i think this is better opposed to complete job loss however next year may be worse.
PrayerfulReplies

Westlake, LA

#8 May 30, 2013
Many will be hurting by the 11 week, 1 day per week, furlough. They will each lose 1/5 their salary for 11 weeks. Please keep these folks in prayer.
For those who may have financial difficulties, ACS will help them create a furlough period budget now so they can more effectively plan. ACS can also point them to other resources.
The Vernon Community Action Council (VCAC) also may be able to offer assistance. They can certainly put those in help in contact with any resources available.
God bless you all.
Balls

Leesville, LA

#9 May 30, 2013
bembh wrote:
Man, you must be clairvoyant! You read all kinds of s--t from post #1 that I don't see.
<quoted text>
You need to read that #1 post again then. You must not know what alot are going through with the cuts that are taking place. Wake up. Please try and understand before you blast something that you obviously know nothing about.
Sasha1213

United States

#10 May 30, 2013
Balls wrote:
<quoted text>You need to read that #1 post again then. You must not know what alot are going through with the cuts that are taking place. Wake up. Please try and understand before you blast something that you obviously know nothing about.
I totally agree! Apparently bembh doesn't work at or near Ft Polk or he/she wd understand what people are struggling with here. My husband has been civil service over 20 years and we will def feel the impact.
Total BS

Pineville, LA

#11 Jun 3, 2013
WASHINGTON An elite group of federal employees is set to receive cash bonuses despite this year's automatic budget cuts, according to a report that a Senate subcommittee issued Friday.

The report revealed that members of the government's highly paid Senior Executive Service who make up less than 1 percent of the federal workforce had received more than $340 million in bonuses from 2008 through 2011. The bonuses came on top of annual salaries that ranged from $119,000 to $179,000.

In a process known as sequestration,$85 billion in across-the-board federal spending cuts took effect March 1, forcing the government to slash services and furlough workers. A month later, the Obama administration froze bonuses for the vast majority of federal workers.

But by law, agencies still must pay bonuses to Senior Executive Service employees who meet certain performance criteria, the report said.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., introduced a bill Friday that would eliminate bonuses for members of the Senior Executive Service during sequestration. McCaskill leads the Senate Subcommittee on Financial and Contracting Oversight, which produced the report.

"The idea that some of the highest-paid federal government employees could be getting bonuses while others are being furloughed is outrageous," McCaskill said in a statement. "This legislation will ensure that doesn't happen."

Created by the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978, the Senior Executive Service is made up of leaders who serve in key positions just below top presidential appointees, according to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management website. They oversee the day-to-day activities of about 75 federal agencies.

Friday's report found that the federal government had handed out more than 6,300 cash awards to members of the Senior Executive Service in 2011, for a total of $78 million. Most Senior Executive Service employees 81 percent received bonuses that year, the report said.

The agencies that spent the most money on Senior Executive Service bonuses were the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which paid more than $16,000 per employee; the National Science Foundation, which paid more than $14,000 per employee; the Department of the Navy, which paid $13,000 per employee; the Department of Health and Human Services, which also paid $13,000 per employee; and the Department of Commerce, which paid more than $12,000 per employee.

The report singled out the General Services Administration as doling out the most performance awards on average. The agency spent $1.1 million on bonuses in 2011, and each Senior Executive Service employee received an average of 1.6 bonuses, the report said.

The GSA is responsible for acquiring real estate, technology services and other big-ticket items for the federal government.

A GSA spokesman said in an email that the agency had cut executive bonuses by 85 percent last year and hasn't paid any such bonuses this year. The agency also cut its Awards Stores program, in which employees could choose prizes such as iPods and digital cameras.

New leadership at the GSA is working to overhaul the entire performance awards system, said the agency's spokesman, Dan Cruz. "Under this administration, GSA bonuses are coming down to their lowest levels in five years," Cruz said.

A separate report published Thursday by auditors at the GSA's Office of Inspector General criticized the agency, saying it violated many of the legal requirements for awarding bonuses.

The GSA is the same agency that came under scrutiny in Congress last year for a lavish conference in Las Vegas in 2010 and other such spending of taxpayer dollars, including exorbitant bonuses.

NOW IS THIS FAIR?? NO ITS TOTAL BS!!! IF THERES GOING TO BE A SEQUESTER THEN IT SHOULD APPLY TO ALL
Questioner

Leesville, LA

#12 Jun 4, 2013
Sad thing about all of this is that the very ones being punished by this sequester, are the ones that neither caused the problem,nor could fix it if they wanted to.

Note that the political appointees are exempt from the pay cut. The one's that caused the problem are all spared the consequences.

Note that the savings from the pay cut due absolutely nothing to solve the fiscal budget problem.

Note that with less money to spend, it will mean less money spent in the local area.

So why are we bashing our neighbors when the real villains are in Washington?
WTF

Leesville, LA

#13 Jun 4, 2013
Liberals wanna spend spend and give give to those who dont lift a hand. Someone has to pay for this. This cutting back the select few gov peoples hours will not make a drop in the bucket to what Washington spends and hands out. Liberals will point at GW for the shape this country is im. Its a given. Was he the best prez we have ever had? No. But this obama administration is killing this country from the inside out.

“Life after life does exist”

Since: Feb 11

~ all around ~

#14 Jun 12, 2013
Things like this can happen and that is why I always tell people to save for "rainy days". At least we were warned ahead of time and it's only 8 hours a week for 11 weeks, not longer as it was said. We will be just fine because we don't keep up with the Jones', ha.
guest

Leesville, LA

#15 Jun 13, 2013
Furloughed:( Where the fish biting at?
Tea Pee

Leesville, LA

#16 Jun 17, 2013
Obama is going to take a trip to Africa , and cost the taxpayers one hundred million dollars, If you haven't figured it out yet this country is going to collapse get ready.
easy wrote:
OK, what do you think? I think its B.S. I see so much money wasted on crap at FT Polk that you have to laugh. There will be alot of younger people going under, they are just makeing it by right now as it is. I think the anger classes Polk has for the people being Furlough is really going to help (not). They tell you how much they care as they are dumping on you. I don't blame Polk for this,our goverment has been heading this way for a long time. I'm just mad about working my whole life, serving in two wars and having to take care of extended family and just getting to the light at the end of the tunnel and some one turns it off. I just had to vent a little. We will make it but it still sucks.
trichellerson

Leesville, LA

#17 Jun 17, 2013
Spirit_Hunters wrote:
Things like this can happen and that is why I always tell people to save for "rainy days". At least we were warned ahead of time and it's only 8 hours a week for 11 weeks, not longer as it was said. We will be just fine because we don't keep up with the Jones', ha.
Things like that do happen, you're right. This year, we had our son 10 weeks early & have incurred hospital bills due to his unexpected early arrival. At the same time, I lost my job because I wasn't able to return to work the day after he was born (which I thought was against the law). Thus my income ceased immediately. Now, my husband is losing a 12 hour shift from work, which cuts out all of his overtime. We saved for rainy days... but rainy days didn't include hospital bills, job loss, and reduced hours all occurring in a 4 month time frame. To top it all off, we don't qualify for any aid even though my husband makes less than the minimum income level for a family of 4 prior to the furlough. It sucks to be the middle class...
Nightwatch

Sulphur, LA

#18 Jul 8, 2013
easy wrote:
OK, what do you think? I think its B.S. I see so much money wasted on crap at FT Polk that you have to laugh. There will be alot of younger people going under, they are just makeing it by right now as it is. I think the anger classes Polk has for the people being Furlough is really going to help (not). They tell you how much they care as they are dumping on you. I don't blame Polk for this,our goverment has been heading this way for a long time. I'm just mad about working my whole life, serving in two wars and having to take care of extended family and just getting to the light at the end of the tunnel and some one turns it off. I just had to vent a little. We will make it but it still sucks.
I do place blame on Fort Polk. The Commanding General was given the option to exempt employees from the furlough, but opted to be the good General and cut spending ! Too bad He didn't think about cutting spending on the Leonard Skynyrd 4th of July concert which cost hundreds of thousands of dollars or the millions of dollars spent on a new commissary, child daycares,, go cart tracks, & golf course beautification..... Of course He isn't loosing any money from his pay ! He even plans to shut down fire stations ,medical & police response . I guess our health & safety aren't of any concern to Him, he has everything given to him on a silver platter , & has no concern for us!
Bob B

Leesville, LA

#19 Jul 8, 2013
Nightwatch wrote:
<quoted text>
I do place blame on Fort Polk. The Commanding General was given the option to exempt employees from the furlough, but opted to be the good General and cut spending ! Too bad He didn't think about cutting spending on the Leonard Skynyrd 4th of July concert which cost hundreds of thousands of dollars or the millions of dollars spent on a new commissary, child daycares,, go cart tracks, & golf course beautification..... Of course He isn't loosing any money from his pay ! He even plans to shut down fire stations ,medical & police response . I guess our health & safety aren't of any concern to Him, he has everything given to him on a silver platter , & has no concern for us!
Freedom Fest, go cart track and recreation expenditures by MWR are self generated funds and not from tax money. He had nothing to do with the commissary..that was funded years ago by the Defense Commissary Agency (DCA).
Luckypants

Leesville, LA

#20 Jul 9, 2013
Nightwatch wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad He didn't think about cutting spending on the Leonard Skynyrd 4th of July concert which cost hundreds of thousands of dollars
MWR put on FreedomFest and brought Leonard Skynyrd in for everyone's enjoyment, but they paid for it with the money given to them by all the crappy local businesses that don't care anything about the soldiers or their families.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is Sexual Harrassment 6 hr Redd Mann 4
Leesville arrest reports 13 hr thirtiethjc 1
News Former Rosepine police chief pleads guilty to b... (Sep '15) 18 hr clue 16
bars Thu Shakeitupbabyyeah... 10
things pisses you off about leesville (Jan '07) Oct 17 Schwinn 702
News Citizens urged to fight possible Fort Polk troo... (Feb '13) Oct 17 T R G I J 35
Rick Ficks Oct 15 Champ Legacy 5

Leesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Leesville Mortgages