Rusty Shackleford

United States

#1 Dec 6, 2011
I was watching "You Don't know Dixie" on the history channel a few months ago and they asked people from all over the country which states they consider southern states. The answers differed greatly. What do you topix folks think?

“WAKE THE "F" UP”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Dec 6, 2011
To me the south starts here in La all the way to Fla. the north to Arkansas, Tenn. to the Carolinas.

To me texas is the big west it just feels like you are a cowboy when you enter Texas lol

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#3 Dec 6, 2011
Rusty Shackleford wrote:
I was watching "You Don't know Dixie" on the history channel a few months ago and they asked people from all over the country which states they consider southern states. The answers differed greatly. What do you topix folks think?
is that why it took so long to ask this question lo1? the southern states would be the states southern of the northern states, sometimes just a smidgen.
Rusty Shackleford

United States

#4 Dec 6, 2011
Tap's topic about the civil war got me thinking about it.

The census bureau considers all states south of and including Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, west virginia as the south.

Some people don't like to include Florida or Oklahoma (which was not a state during the Civil War but all the Natives in the region were on the confederate side)

Some only include the states that make upthe deep south, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and south Carolina

I consider the 11 states that Seceded during the Civil war. Listed in order of secession South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansa, north Carolina, Tennessee
tapmcfarland

Leesville, LA

#5 Dec 6, 2011
Rusty Shackleford wrote:
Tap's topic about the civil war got me thinking about it.
The census bureau considers all states south of and including Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, west virginia as the south.
Some people don't like to include Florida or Oklahoma (which was not a state during the Civil War but all the Natives in the region were on the confederate side)
Some only include the states that make upthe deep south, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and south Carolina
I consider the 11 states that Seceded during the Civil war. Listed in order of secession South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansa, north Carolina, Tennessee
i agree with you but i think the census bureau has broken the southern states down again into three regions which are:
"According to the Census Regions and Divisions of the United States, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia and Delaware make up the South Atlantic region.
In the southern region labeled as the East South Central, there are four states, according to the U.S. States Census Bureau. Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee form this southern division. These states make up the core states of the traditional South, also known as Dixie. The westernmost states of the southern region as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau is the West South Central division, which includes four states, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas." that is from 2011 census page.
i consider the southern states as those detailed in history which were the 11 you named.

Read more: What Are the Southern Regions of the United States?| eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7482439_southern-reg...

Read more: What Are the Southern Regions of the United States?| eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7482439_southern-reg...

Read more: What Are the Southern Regions of the United States?| eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7482439_southern-reg... south central, west south central and the atlantic south. kinda stupid but this is what they say, "

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#6 Dec 6, 2011
Being from the South I say anything below the "Mason Dixon Line" is the south. Including Texas. Just not the cowboys! HA HA
bembh

Lake Charles, LA

#7 Dec 6, 2011
why does this matter?

“WAKE THE "F" UP”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#8 Dec 6, 2011
bembh wrote:
why does this matter?
Just because.... oh and to piss you off Lol

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#9 Dec 7, 2011
southern states lead in a lot of things, the list of states above looks like the "failed education and poverty" leaders.
tapmcfarland

Leesville, LA

#10 Dec 7, 2011
swamp people wrote:
southern states lead in a lot of things, the list of states above looks like the "failed education and poverty" leaders.
not every state in the south has a failed education or poverty, education comes down to the state level then the county or parish level. money is no longer dispersed from the federal government the way it used to be for education such as when we were kids. that money goes to security and defense. however texas and florida have some good schools. heck many moons ago, i went to school in houston. i went to a magnet school and spent three days testing to get into it. the magnet school also offered transportation to those who got in, it was an out of district school for almost all of us. they still have these schools in houston, one is science, law and the arts. i think they have a few more today. if mississippi or alabama have failed schools it boils down to the state level. it comes down to the state scoring above, below or average on the eoc and eog. eoc and eog is where your federal, and state monies comes from. lack of money means lack of education

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#11 Dec 7, 2011
tapmcfarland wrote:
<quoted text>
not every state in the south has a failed education or poverty, education comes down to the state level then the county or parish level. money is no longer dispersed from the federal government the way it used to be for education such as when we were kids. that money goes to security and defense. however texas and florida have some good schools. heck many moons ago, i went to school in houston. i went to a magnet school and spent three days testing to get into it. the magnet school also offered transportation to those who got in, it was an out of district school for almost all of us. they still have these schools in houston, one is science, law and the arts. i think they have a few more today. if mississippi or alabama have failed schools it boils down to the state level. it comes down to the state scoring above, below or average on the eoc and eog. eoc and eog is where your federal, and state monies comes from. lack of money means lack of education
i'll say it again, looks like a failed education and poverty list.

sure, there are some great schools in all of these states, but they almost all comprise the top ten (or bottom 10) poorest, lack of education, infrastructure, social services, wealth etc., but they do lead in obesity, smoking, incarceration, divorce and a few other little tidbits of info.
tapmcfarland

Leesville, LA

#12 Dec 7, 2011
swamp people wrote:
<quoted text>i'll say it again, looks like a failed education and poverty list.
sure, there are some great schools in all of these states, but they almost all comprise the top ten (or bottom 10) poorest, lack of education, infrastructure, social services, wealth etc., but they do lead in obesity, smoking, incarceration, divorce and a few other little tidbits of info.
so harsh, just trying to present a positive outlook. but you do have a point.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#13 Dec 8, 2011
tapmcfarland wrote:
<quoted text>
so harsh, just trying to present a positive outlook. but you do have a point.
sorry, did not mean to be harsh. i love the south, love the people, love the seasons, love the ,,,,, i could go on and on.

there is also some bad "stuff" in my utopia (sometimes bad is good and fun) and it is not always a picnic to experience the bad stuff. possibly the hardest thing to admit is statistics and proof, even when what you "see or read" may not evident in everyday life, it still exist. kind of like the mold story you told. mold in the south is a hidden invisible destroyer of histolic senses as well as invaders in your home. at any given time, over 200 different type of molds may be present in your home. the mold that is most dangerous to you and i is stachybotrys (sp) which does not always exist in enough ppm to be of concern, but when the temperate climate exist for growth..... you have a house full of little bronchial agitators in about a minute that bleach barely kills.

i am not going to interject any of the mold story with, failed education, roads, bridges, lack ofs etc. etc. hopefully we can see that a little can exist as long as we dont let it "fester."

i did this whole story without mentioning republicans, dems or herman " the love muscle" cain. i am proud of myself, my mama always told me i could make something of myself.......... another proud southern tradition.

am i the only person up at 3 every day? what is a normal work hour? why is it cold and if anyone needs to store a few plants i have about 40 to 50 sq ft of greenhouse space left until mid feb when i start planting veggies. give me a call.......
tapmcfarland

Leesville, LA

#14 Dec 8, 2011
swamp people wrote:
<quoted text>sorry, did not mean to be harsh. i love the south, love the people, love the seasons, love the ,,,,, i could go on and on.
there is also some bad "stuff" in my utopia (sometimes bad is good and fun) and it is not always a picnic to experience the bad stuff. possibly the hardest thing to admit is statistics and proof, even when what you "see or read" may not evident in everyday life, it still exist. kind of like the mold story you told. mold in the south is a hidden invisible destroyer of histolic senses as well as invaders in your home. at any given time, over 200 different type of molds may be present in your home. the mold that is most dangerous to you and i is stachybotrys (sp) which does not always exist in enough ppm to be of concern, but when the temperate climate exist for growth..... you have a house full of little bronchial agitators in about a minute that bleach barely kills.
i am not going to interject any of the mold story with, failed education, roads, bridges, lack ofs etc. etc. hopefully we can see that a little can exist as long as we dont let it "fester."
i did this whole story without mentioning republicans, dems or herman " the love muscle" cain. i am proud of myself, my mama always told me i could make something of myself.......... another proud southern tradition.
am i the only person up at 3 every day? what is a normal work hour? why is it cold and if anyone needs to store a few plants i have about 40 to 50 sq ft of greenhouse space left until mid feb when i start planting veggies. give me a call.......
i am not a plant but need a warm place with a tropical climate for the winter. i dont like mold, i dont want to breathe mold. i dont want to see mold, i dont eat moldy cheese. i get up at 5 am every single day even on the weekend. i have a built in alarm clock its a curse. i wish i could sleep till 7, wish i could sleep more then 5 hours that would be nice. i like the south. the seasons in the south? it is too cold for me. i like it hot 90 year round would be great. i have no southern traditions other then i drink beer, i eat any meat and on new years i eat black eyed peas. my "mamma never told me" as you said lol. love the waterboy and its is almost based on a true story. lol again. and you did mention republicans, dems and herman. the two party system has flip flopped throughout history. my husband claims to be republican however he is military and it seems that goes along with the uniform. so i ask him why are you republican, he usually has no answer other then he did not like clinton, that pisses me off. so we go through where which side leans always turns out his views lean more towards the dem side but he refuses to claim it. i think many people walk around claiming one party yet know nothing of what it represents. however sometimes i will admit i lean to the other side, maybe we all flip flop. i bet you too flip flop. utopia means no and land--no land. a book before its time. i love philosophy but it seems people dont focus on what is already explained.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15 Dec 8, 2011
i have admitted several times that i have some.......lets call it republican......... views. one of these would be out of control spending (even though i know we are still paying for bush's war in iraq) another would be i like to pretend i have three tits to suckle, 1 for the left, 1 for the right, and a giant 1 for the middle hahahahahaha! i am so sorry, i just cant quit joking around today......

me and vicky valencourt touched the boobies. i liked it.

all them teeth and no tooth brush?
Understanding

United States

#16 Dec 10, 2011
tapmcfarland wrote:
<quoted text>. money is no longer dispersed from the federal government the way it used to be for education such as when we were kids.
I will have to disagree with this point. The ED (HEW)was created in 1979, which started the decline of education as we knew it. The fed before that funded NO education. Education thrived when the schools were under local control, parents were parents, and federally mandated testing was non existent. When th ED started dangling dollars for special groups and attached requirements to the funding.
tapmcfarland

Leesville, LA

#17 Dec 10, 2011
Understanding wrote:
<quoted text>
I will have to disagree with this point. The ED (HEW)was created in 1979, which started the decline of education as we knew it. The fed before that funded NO education. Education thrived when the schools were under local control, parents were parents, and federally mandated testing was non existent. When th ED started dangling dollars for special groups and attached requirements to the funding.
the fed funded no education, are you sure. i disagree.
i am confused the ed existed before 1979 if was called the office of education or something like that on small scale. but yes money was funded before that, maybe not to the "education department because it did not exist, but money was funded somewhat federally." i agree and disagree with you. not sure what you are saying, guess it does not matter. i see it one way you see it another. i read a lot way to much i could just be really confused. constitutionally it is not federally the goverments problem but the states but i did read somewhere that if the government really wanted their foot in public education and complete control over it they could do it. not sure what your are saying. yes it is the states responsibitlity and no where in the constitution does it state at a federal level is it a responsibility but the federal government has always allocated some monies to the school systems. you can go to the usgovernmentreveue.com and pull up where money was allocated for example in 1950 39 percent of monies went to ad valorem and public education falls under that. as far back as 1917 the federal government began putting money into education. in 1917 it began with the smith hughs act. that act was towards students 14 and older. the federal government used to dish out big money to the foundation of education heck in 1974 they gave over 68 million to bilingual education. 1867 we had the "office of education"
however the actual united states department of education enacted by president carter was signed in 1979 but went into effect in 1980, but yes money was giving independently by the fed to schools way back in early 1900's it was just not allocated to the department of education. between 1889 to 1943 you are right each states were suppose to fund schools through taxs. Although after WWII the states were still responsible for edcation, the federal government began slowly providing money for "special programs" the heavy extent of this started in the 1960s with headstart, then in the 80's with federal subsidies for textbooks, transportation, lunches, breakfast, and services for students with disabilities. Funding increased for many years after but the government did not exercise direct control over direct programs.
Most specific statutes that apply only to public education require that the public school be a recipient of federal funds. Examples of such statutes are Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (P.L. 92-318), codified at 42 U.S.C. Sect. 1681, et seq and The Equal Access Act (EAA) of 1984 (P.L. 98-377), codified at 20 U.S.C. Sect. 4071, et seq. Title IX applies to both private and public schools that receive federal financial assistance. The EAA applies only to public secondary schools receiving federal financial assistance that create a limited open forum.
more examples of federal spending for public schools: 1948 george barden act, 1941 leham act, impact aid law of 1950, 1958 we were worried about russia and passed the ndea, 1965 act which addressed rural areas or poor urban areas. the 1980 act allowed assistance to elementary and secondary systems to more then 15 million students in america. i dont understand when you say "no money is issued for public education from the federal government" money from the federal did exist and i thought was giving to schools. today no child left behind, standardized testing and lack of government funding is why schools fail.

“WAKE THE "F" UP”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#18 Dec 10, 2011
Can any of you see that when the Fed's stepped into the teaching of kids that it was now able to control what, was handed out they took the a lot of history out of what is being given to the kids,

It's the dumbing of the US kids in school, they on the most part can not compete with other kids in the world, and it's not any better in the south.

If you get Fed money out of the system, and build charter school where the class room is more a more friendly setting for a child to learn you will see a big turn around.

Charter schools in New Orleans have boomed in the last few years just because people are tired of sub-standered teaching and the unions that have taken so much out of teaching.

In oder to make sure your child has what they need to make it in not just the world but in the State they live in would you not want better?

Keep the Government out of the schools, let a teacher teach and not show what is the right answer to a teast it's should be up to the child to know and to learn, if all you do is show the right answer to a child sooner or later they will get it right, No Child left behind is a joke it has left so many behind!

Yes I know a Rep. signed it into law, to all you Dem but all who voted on it was both parties who are just as wrong as the one who put into law.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19 Dec 18, 2011
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/17/brai...

maybe it is the neti pot.....

if rep "do" the law, it's their law......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
congratulations leesville!!!! 58 min noclue 54
abolish daylight saving time!! 1 hr noclue 1
Who will be the next Leesville Police Chief ???... 1 hr 1201MMXII 5
New Llano Unjust Tickets (Apr '14) 5 hr sonofthecity 64
171 Turning Lane 9 hr havemercy 11
leesville fire chief and vernon parish fire boa... 15 hr country boy 1
Recipes and Coupons Tue parsnip 6
Leesville Dating
Find my Match

Leesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Leesville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Leesville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]