Vernon Parish School Board

Posted in the Leesville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LMBIZZLE

Victoria, TX

#1 Mar 5, 2010
The teachers in vernon parish should be paid more. Where is all the money they receive going. They get extra money from the federal government for every military child that attends their schools. The schools are old and behind the times. How is it school board members should receive a paycheck. Only Louisiana and Florida do it. Most states it is a un-paid privilege to be elected to a school board seat.
ronald45

Leesville, LA

#2 Mar 10, 2010
ha ha welcome to the great "welfare" state of Louisiana, stick around you will come to find the corruption and greed here is rivalled only by that in Haiti. The city of Leesville and state of Louisiana have been sucking off the military teat of Fort Polk for decades, don't expect it to end anytime soon
VP Resident

United States

#3 Mar 10, 2010
Ronald,

I'm not on welfare and will always have a job because of the whinny little bitches like you that can not be content with anything! Thanks for the work and keep it up brother two more pay checks and I can get my 28 foot cabin crusier paint to match my new hummer! Thanks bro!
Happy to be Here

United States

#4 Mar 10, 2010
We are not behind the times. My children came from Florida and they were behind. Also before they could go into the school had to pass through metal detectors. If the school are not up to par just homeschool them. THen you can bitch about the crappy teacher everyday. I am sure that there are lots of schools in Louisiana that are not top of the line but at least they aren't like California or Maryland where the teachers who where the highest paid there would not put the effort to stay an extra hour a day. I know for a fact that our teachers go above and beyond for all the students. Not just for the military kids. Because I pay taxes too and my children deserve an education just like the military ones.
my2centsworth

United States

#5 Mar 18, 2010
As a past teacher in Vernon Parish and parent of 4 children that attended Pickering, I will say they do provide an excellent educational opportunity for all students who want to learn, military or not. The teachers teach what is expected to students of all levels and backgrounds for little pay. They care. They stay after school to help or come in early if a student needs. They buy supplies out of their own pocket to expand learning opportunities. If you want to gripe, first volunteer at a school and see what goes on. It may surprise you. I know teachers there are underpaid. I had to move out of state when my husband was transferred but keep in touch with people there. I continue to teach and make approximately 10 thousand dollars more annually here in Kentucky than I would maje if i was still in Vernon Parish. But I sincerely appreciate the experience I had as a teacher at Pickering and truely appreciate the education my children received there in their early years, for it truely prepared them for expanding their educational horizons at the schools they transfered to from the move. They excelled in all aspects - academically, athletically, socially, emotionally and to this day I credit Pickering Elementary and their teachers - teachers who cared!!
ronald45

United States

#6 Mar 19, 2010
didn't say teachers didn't care said the schools are years behind in WHAT they teach not how they teach it. Besides of course the kids excel in elementary where they learn fundamentals of reading and math. Now try the higher sciences, chemistry, physics, calculus, biology (judging from the number of pregnant 16 year olds they might be teaching this too well), genetics, trigonometry, English etc.
my2centsworth

United States

#7 Mar 19, 2010
ronald45 wrote:
didn't say teachers didn't care said the schools are years behind in WHAT they teach not how they teach it. Besides of course the kids excel in elementary where they learn fundamentals of reading and math. Now try the higher sciences, chemistry, physics, calculus, biology (judging from the number of pregnant 16 year olds they might be teaching this too well), genetics, trigonometry, English etc.
Okay -let's try the higher level subjects. Where is the proof that they do not excel? Have you been to the schools and witnessed the teaching? Have you seen test results? Have you watched the students and their performance at school? If you really want to get to the down and dirty - look at the parents! Do they care? Do they folllow up on what the school is doing and check to see what the students do each day OR better yet - how they act? Do they monitor homework? Every parent should spend a day with at their middle and/or high school students school WITHOUT their student knowing they are there! WOW - a rude awakening would they have!! And the teachers still continue to teach the curriculum just as well as anywhere else. The attitude of the older student is far different than that of an elementary student. Those that want to learn - will. Those that do not care will fail - no matter how good the teacher is or how hard the teacher tries with that student. One can only do so much alone. Parents need held accountable also!
ronald45

United States

#8 Mar 19, 2010
Okay -let's try the higher level subjects. Where is the proof that they do not excel? Have you been to the schools and witnessed the teaching? Have you seen test results?

Yes I have Vernon Parish does very well (because they have a large influx of kids coming from other areas due to the military and these other areas are what feeds Leesville's test scores). However the state as a whole still ranks in the bottom 5 in terms of education
my2centsworth

United States

#9 Mar 19, 2010
ronald45 wrote:
Okay -let's try the higher level subjects. Where is the proof that they do not excel? Have you been to the schools and witnessed the teaching? Have you seen test results?
Yes I have Vernon Parish does very well (because they have a large influx of kids coming from other areas due to the military and these other areas are what feeds Leesville's test scores). However the state as a whole still ranks in the bottom 5 in terms of education
The turn over of students is not of the magnitude to raise the scores as you say. For every student that does come in the "above average" group, I guarntee you there is one as equal on the "lower end". Vernon Parish excells because they do their job. People that complain on here are probably the ones who have students who do not do well for what ever reason and the parent wants to blame anyone but themselves. This arguement will never end. I have said my piece. Vernon Parish does teach all students - every day - what ever it takes - to prepare then to reach their highest level of potential to become productive citizens of the global community in which we all live. Period!
Jan Leesville

Truckee, CA

#10 Mar 25, 2010
my2centsworth-----teachers in pickering may care but as a parent of 3 in vernon parish schools. i can tell you that not ALL teachers care. in fact i have been trying to contact one of my childs teachers for 2 weeks she is either in a meeting,out for the day or there and just doesn't bother to return phone calls. I have had problems with teachers following modifications in the classroom because "they" feel they are not needed. I call the school at 3:10 and the teacher has already left. Now don't get me wrong i am not saying that all teachers are bad but even you have to admit that not all are in it for the joy of teaching our children. some are there strictly for the benefit of the hours and time off. for the record mine go to leesville.
my2centsworth

United States

#11 Mar 25, 2010
Jan Leesville wrote:
my2centsworth-----teachers in pickering may care but as a parent of 3 in vernon parish schools. i can tell you that not ALL teachers care. in fact i have been trying to contact one of my childs teachers for 2 weeks she is either in a meeting,out for the day or there and just doesn't bother to return phone calls. I have had problems with teachers following modifications in the classroom because "they" feel they are not needed. I call the school at 3:10 and the teacher has already left. Now don't get me wrong i am not saying that all teachers are bad but even you have to admit that not all are in it for the joy of teaching our children. some are there strictly for the benefit of the hours and time off. for the record mine go to leesville.
I am sorry to hear of this. If your child has an IEP and it is not being followed you have the right to call an SBLC meeting and discuss it. The IEP is a legal document and all teachers MUST follow it - and document they do so - or they could be in big trouble. If you ask for the SBLC meeting they HAVE to have it in a timely manner (I think something like 7 school days.) If they don't, you can contact P&A and their advocate will be there and NO school wants them to come to their school. This could signal grounds for a due process hearing and if it should go that far it could cost the school district tens of thousands of dollars (but you pay nothing. I hope you can contact someone to get the meeting you want. Be sure you have proof you have made attempts to contact the teacher. Have you personally called the school and asked when that teachers planning period is and then gone there at that time? Make a couple of good documented attempts to contact the teacher and then ask for an SBLC meeting, and if nothing is done, get back on here and let me know and I will try to help. I have been in education 25+ years and know a thing or two. Kids have rights too. Keep standing up for your child!!! I respect you for that!
Happy to be Here

United States

#12 Mar 25, 2010
Don't ever give up for what you know is the best for your child. I too had difficulty getting the teacher to follow in IEP. The best thing I did was first I wrote a letter. Keep a copy. sent one to the teacher, school and the special ed department.
I guarantee you will get results. be sure to ask for a book of your rights. Quote the reasons you wanted follow from the book. in the back of the book is a list of numbers you can contact if you do not get the response needed from the school. Your school counselor can give this book to you. If you even whisper Due Process I guarantee that you will get a response from the special ed department. You child has rights. But they can't ask for them only you can.
Jan Leesville

Truckee, CA

#13 Mar 25, 2010
my2centsworth wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry to hear of this. If your child has an IEP and it is not being followed you have the right to call an SBLC meeting and discuss it. The IEP is a legal document and all teachers MUST follow it - and document they do so - or they could be in big trouble. If you ask for the SBLC meeting they HAVE to have it in a timely manner (I think something like 7 school days.) If they don't, you can contact P&A and their advocate will be there and NO school wants them to come to their school. This could signal grounds for a due process hearing and if it should go that far it could cost the school district tens of thousands of dollars (but you pay nothing. I hope you can contact someone to get the meeting you want. Be sure you have proof you have made attempts to contact the teacher. Have you personally called the school and asked when that teachers planning period is and then gone there at that time? Make a couple of good documented attempts to contact the teacher and then ask for an SBLC meeting, and if nothing is done, get back on here and let me know and I will try to help. I have been in education 25+ years and know a thing or two. Kids have rights too. Keep standing up for your child!!! I respect you for that!
I have plenty of documentation that i contacted the teacher, in fact the teacher isn't allowed to call, write, or email me due to the fact that the principal feels she is unprofressional. She has told me off, and threatened to give my child more work. so anytime i have a question or problem i have to call the principal or counsler and we have had quite a few of the SBLC meetings and i have brought up many times that she isn't following his IEP, I call the counsler and she will argue with me about it telling me i am overreacting about it. i am so fed up with that school i have actually thought about taking all 3 of mine out and sending them to pickering. but that would require the kids to get to know a whole new group of people but sometime sacrafices are for the best.
i have talked to the special ed teacher there too, and she assured me that she would talk to the teacher to make sure that she is doing what she is suppose to but still his grades are falling and she isn't doing his IEP.
my2centsworth

United States

#14 Mar 26, 2010
Let me look into P&A in Louisiana and see what recourse you may have. The school is required to send documentation they are monitoring his/her goals on the IEP with every grade card. Are they? You should have an annual SBLC meeting every year and they are required to show you how they have been monitoring. Documentation is required on the goals of the IEP. This determines the goals they have on the IEP, what has been mastered and what needs to be changed. What is the disability if you don't mind me asking? Do you know you are entitled to have an advocate with you at any SBLC meeting as long as you let the school know in advance they are attending so they can include them on the Notice of Meeting? Anyway - let me see what I can do. Might be a few days, butI will not forget - I promise. Best of luck. ALso - have you ever accessed the Wright's Law website? It is a site for parents of children with disabilities in relation to the law, their rights, etc. www.wrightslaw.com I think. You can google Wright's Law also. Has free newsletters, etc.:)
my2centsworth

United States

#15 Apr 4, 2010
I fully agree with "Happy to be here"! This person has it right. Every time you attend an SBLC meeting they are supposed to review your rights and offer you a copy. Get a copy if you do not have one (more documentation they did not follow procedure!). It is full of information and your rights as well as your child's rights. Until your child is 18 - you are the only one that can lobby for them. Stand tall! To "Jan in Leesville -are the goals in the IEP academic or social? What is the disability category? HAve they been sending you reports along with their grade card on their progress toward these goals? I am still looking into helping you out if you still feel the need. Let me know.:)

Since: Mar 10

Truckee, CA

#16 Apr 21, 2010
my son is in speach, and OT, however he has an eye condition known as a convegence problem the eye muscles don't work together like they should so it causes bad headaches, watery eyes. the letters dance on the page if they are to small, his teacher has actually made an effort to copy the stories out of the book instead of letting him bring the book home(which he does from time to time) just because the words are smaller (this started after a modification was made about small print) and the school says well i'm sure it was just a mistake, once a mistake, twice oops but 3,4,5 times thats on purpose. he is suppose to get extra time to complete assignments which he isn't he said everyones morning work is to be turned in by 9 am now she is giving him conduct marks for not completing it. he didn't AR test one day so she gave him a mark. when i talked to the school board they said conduct marks are there for thier behavior not for giving if they don't complete an assigment the teacher needs to find a different way to punish the student if the work is not completed. I have not recieved anything from the teacher letting me know anything, in fact his work doesn't have the mods that were put in place she isn't doing anything and everyone i talk to says i will talk to her. whats to talk about, you have talked to her 20 times this year. what i want is his class moved. his teacher is going through a real nasty divorce and i believe she is taking it out on the students. but the school defends her at every turn.so please any info you can give me will help a ton.
realchange

Florien, LA

#17 Jul 12, 2010
Vernon Parish claims to be an equal opportunity system; however, there are many people in the parish that can testify to the falsehood of this claim. Teachers are overlooked for community favorites, Principals are overlooked for what involves politics. There has been acts of nepotism when placing administration in certain schools.It doesn't matter if you are the most qualified applicant for the job of teacher, administration, or supervisor. What matters is who you know and what can you do for the school board members. Neither the school board nor the school board members have the children's best interest at heart. What's the old saying, "you scratch my back and I will scratch yours". They tell me there's going to be an election, perhaps it's time to get rid of some of these "good ole boys" and put someone in their place that really cares for our children's success.
VP School Parent

Leesville, LA

#18 Nov 3, 2010
I don't know about anyone else, but I HAVE tried volunteering at Pickering. Amazingly, this is the ONLY school my children have attended that does not have a PTO/PTA or any type of parent organization. I have tutored, taught, copied worksheets, put up bulletin boards, etc in every school/state until now. I have put forth suggestions that have gone unheeded and unused. The parish places students reading/language arts ileap scores as high as 87% of students at or above grade level. However, just the other day I was informed by a teacher that over half her class was at least 3 years behind grade level. Something doesn't add up here. Maybe that is why they do not want parents in the school helping. Easier to hide the problems. We are giving it until Christmas....if things don't change, we will be pulling our children out of the school.
VP School Parent

Leesville, LA

#19 Nov 3, 2010
my2centsworth wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay -let's try the higher level subjects. Where is the proof that they do not excel? Have you been to the schools and witnessed the teaching? Have you seen test results? Have you watched the students and their performance at school? If you really want to get to the down and dirty - look at the parents! Do they care? Do they folllow up on what the school is doing and check to see what the students do each day OR better yet - how they act? Do they monitor homework? Every parent should spend a day with at their middle and/or high school students school WITHOUT their student knowing they are there! WOW - a rude awakening would they have!! And the teachers still continue to teach the curriculum just as well as anywhere else. The attitude of the older student is far different than that of an elementary student. Those that want to learn - will. Those that do not care will fail - no matter how good the teacher is or how hard the teacher tries with that student. One can only do so much alone. Parents need held accountable also!
Have been in the school. Have attempted to volunteer and/or observe. The school is ABSOLUTELY behind the rest of the nation in what, AND HOW, they are teaching.(Have a teaching degree, and have lived in 8 different states, so I at least have something to compare this parish to)
thexfactor

Leesville, LA

#20 Nov 3, 2010
Yes I agree...all the school system teaches is what is on those Leap tests. My son (who has gone to VP schools his entire life and is in the 7th grade) never learned how to write in cursive. There are lots more kids that didn't learn either. I have had to teach him myself. I am educated, but by no means consider myself a teacher. I am not. It is not the teacher's fault. They are forced to follow a curriculum that is by far less than what is needed for our kids to succeed in High School and College. It's a shame. I was part of the PTO at one time, but it was a waste of time. No participation on behalf of the admin., teachers, or parents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Child Molester 31 min johnny rotten 3
Leesville MLK Celebration 17 hr anyone 29
How to secure the Southern borders !!! 23 hr info 2
Dr Donovan Lyme disease Sun NobodyIknow 11
Rosepine police chief indicted for malfeasance,... Jan 23 rumours 5
Review: Anthony Eaves Attorney At Law Jan 23 Brody 4
Overpaid Punks Jan 21 1dering 10
Leesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Leesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:41 pm PST

ESPN 3:41PM
Saints owner Benson being sued by family
NBC Sports 8:52 PM
Report: Texans D-line coach Bill Kollar to join Gary Kubiak in Denver
NBC Sports 3:41 AM
Mickey Loomis: Saints letting Junior Galette case run its course before taking any action
NBC Sports 5:04 AM
Saints players shocked by team's ownership squabble
NBC Sports 7:42 AM
Jimmy Graham: Pro Bowl will help dictate if he needs surgery