things pisses you off about leesville
HAPPY TO BE HERE

United States

#22 Apr 12, 2008
I MOVED HERE BECAUSE OF THE MILITARY A LONG TIME AGO AND HAVE NEVER LEFT. WE HAVE LIVED MANY PLACES BUT FOR RAISING A FAMILY THIS IS THE BEST. I CAN LET MY KIDS PLAY IN THE FRONT YARD, I CAN VISIT WITH MY NEIGHBORS SEND NY KIDS TO GREAT SCHOOLS. YOU GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT IN IT. IF YOU WANT A BETTER TOWN GET INVOLVED
Ron

United States

#23 Apr 13, 2008
If you don't like it, leave!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me most of us are trying to but due to the Army Post playing with numbers and trying to keep folks here (not like the military is charging the re enlistment folks on other bases BEGGING to come to Diseaseville) it ain't that easy.
Ron

United States

#24 Apr 13, 2008
MOVED HERE BECAUSE OF THE MILITARY A LONG TIME AGO AND HAVE NEVER LEFT. WE HAVE LIVED MANY PLACES BUT FOR RAISING A FAMILY THIS IS THE BEST. I CAN LET MY KIDS PLAY IN THE FRONT YARD, I CAN VISIT WITH MY NEIGHBORS SEND NY KIDS TO GREAT SCHOOLS.

Yeah great place to raise a family, if you aspire for them to be logging truck drivers or titty bar dancers. Great schools blah ha ha, Louisiana schools continuously rank last in the nation when it comes to education
J_JS

United States

#25 Apr 13, 2008
It just needs a few more restaurants and a few more places to shop..After a while you get tired of the same old places..
BKLpn0223

Forney, TX

#26 Apr 13, 2008
I just wanna say i see the pros and cons of all the peoples opinions, however, i have lived here for 22 years and i married the military we chose to stay here because my family is here and no i dont like to fish or hunt. for the military its hard to find anything to do for fun besides the bars, and strip clubs, or to go to the local walmart or the ratty movie theater. so therefore no one wins. they dont want to be here because there is nothing to occupy there time, and thats understandable. However, the residents depend on the military to bring business here, and we do have local places that are "mom and pop" stores that are important to the history of our small "hicktown" but thats what makes us who we are and proud to live where we live. undoubtably its hard for the military to see it our way as to why we chose to live here and not in the city and why we continue to ban fancy restuarants from coming in and taking over. Everyone has there own opinions and choices on what they want to do in life, some waitresses some mechanics, construction workers, or cops. and the regular military g.i joe. but im glad the base is here or i would of never met my husband. he has definately opened my eyes to different places besides leesville however, i just dont want to live somewhere were the cost of living is so much higher than here. and to have my children grow up and not be able to say thank you, yes sir no sir, and possibly be involved in gangs, and other crap that the city life gives you, bsides the variety of activities that they city has to offer, the country is the best way to go for raising a family.
Ron

United States

#27 Apr 14, 2008
BKLpn0223 wrote:
I just wanna say i see the pros and cons of all the peoples opinions, however, i have lived here for 22 years and i married the military we chose to stay here because my family is here and no i dont like to fish or hunt. for the military its hard to find anything to do for fun besides the bars, and strip clubs, or to go to the local walmart or the ratty movie theater. so therefore no one wins. they dont want to be here because there is nothing to occupy there time, and thats understandable. However, the residents depend on the military to bring business here, and we do have local places that are "mom and pop" stores that are important to the history of our small "hicktown" but thats what makes us who we are and proud to live where we live. undoubtably its hard for the military to see it our way as to why we chose to live here and not in the city and why we continue to ban fancy restuarants from coming in and taking over. Everyone has there own opinions and choices on what they want to do in life, some waitresses some mechanics, construction workers, or cops. and the regular military g.i joe. but im glad the base is here or i would of never met my husband. he has definately opened my eyes to different places besides leesville however, i just dont want to live somewhere were the cost of living is so much higher than here. and to have my children grow up and not be able to say thank you, yes sir no sir, and possibly be involved in gangs, and other crap that the city life gives you, bsides the variety of activities that they city has to offer, the country is the best way to go for raising a family.
True but you can live in the country and have what amounts to a civilization. Look around Leesville and the whole city is a depressing mix mash of rundown shops, tin/corregated metal buildings and out of business boarded up structures. There is no reason Leesville can't be like a myriad of other quaint, nice towns that populate the area. Natchitoches, LA and Nacogdoches Texas aren't big cities by any means, but at least they have venues to attract people in, places to shop and most importantly are CLEAN. Leesville reminds me of the old squatters camps of old that followed the miners or the railroads to make a quick buck off those folks. Leesville is the same way, only here it is the military. Most in the Military resent it, the Post is as run down as the town look at Fort Hood, Bragg, Sam, Bliss and a lot of others, new structures, new shopping areas, new barracks, new motor stables. Not at Polk naw just the same old run down, delapidated structures that were built in the 1960's other than the housing. Well you can put all the bows you want on a pile of cow dung and when done you still have bullsh*t. Then we get off work and what is waiting for us, a rundown military dependent town were the townspeople feed off the military like ticks on a hound, not cause they want to but because they have to. Time has passed this town by instead of a little economic diversification as one sees at Killeen Tx, and even Alexandria La after the Airforce closed it's base. Leesville is content to focus solely on the military base as it's economic source, while it's young people move away in search of a job, a life and a future.
Just the way it is

Birmingham, AL

#28 Apr 14, 2008
FRED wrote:
WELL WHAT CAN I SAY BEING THAT IM FROM HO-VILLE ?THANK GOD THAT WHEN I TRUNED 17 I F___KING LEFT :):):) SO IF YOU HAVE ANY F___KING BRAINS? F___K THE CITY PIGS:):):) LET THEM DRINK THE WATER AND EAT THAT F__KING SHIT AT BJ'S GET THE F__K OUT BEFORE YOU ARE YOUR CHILDREN GO TO THE STATE PEN IN SLAGLE.
(1) CONCERED SIMPSON HAD BEEN.
NOTE GET THE F__K OUT (GIT-R-DONE)
Is this person a Cooley?
hAPPY TO BE HERE

United States

#29 Apr 19, 2008
LOUISIANA MAY RANK LAST BUT VERNON PARISH IS CONSTANTLY IN THE TOP. IF YOU ARE BORED WITH YOUR LIFE, GET INVOLVED IN CHURCH, VOLUNTEER, GO BACK TO SCHOOL. LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT ONLY BORING PEOPLE ARE BORED. I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO EVERYDAY AND YES EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE I GET OUT OF TOWN WITH MY KIDS TO SEE WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE BUT WE ALWAYS COME HOME AND ARE HAPPY TO BE HERE. LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE MADE LIVES FOR THEMSELVES HERE. IF YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL WE HAVE LOTS OF OPTIONS SO WHEN YOU DO FINALLY LEAVE LEESVILLE TO MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET A REALLY GREAT JOB BECAUSE IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE TO LIVE IN THOSE BIG CITIES THAT YOU DREAM ABOUT. I KNOW BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND HAPPY TO BE OUT OF IT.
Ron

United States

#30 Apr 20, 2008
Vernon Parish is in the top of the schools simply because it has the military DOD schools as well. Therefore the kids come to Leesville and excell cause they were taught at the other schools. My friends child came to Leesville and was automatically promoted to the next grade NOT BECAUSE OF LEESVILLE'S SCHOOLS, BUT BECAUSE SHE HAD HER EARLY EDUCATION SOMEWHERE ELSE...
And "church" raises it's head again, well Leesville has over 50 churches in the area, but what for those folks who (ahem the debil might strike me dead) aren't exactly of the religious sort?? This would be perhaps the MAJORITY of the younger population that are forced to be here by the Army. Or you can hunt and fish, great let's go fish in one of Leesville's mercury polluted lakes so we can raise brain damaged children too. Hunting, yeah that is fun but considering most of today's population in the military are CITY CHILDREN who don't touch a rifle outside their military job, hunting just doesn't appeal to them.
What does appeal to them you ask how about: nice restaurants Leesville was going the right direction with Spirit's West oh that's right it was FORCED TO CLOSE (not as is thought in this area a myriad of roadside "crawfish, catfish, alligator" and other whatever the hell we pulled from the swampt today restaurants that dot this area). Oh don't like swampfood (cause seafood ie tuna, salmon, lobster, mahi mahi it ain't) then you can dine on hamburgers, tacos, and other lard laden greasy assed food that keeps the people of Leesville in such great shape, afterall round and 350lbs is a shape. Unfortunately those in the military have to stay hall shall I put this HEALTHY in order to do their jobs. They like to try new exotic foods, the closest Leesville has to this is probably 10 lackluster "Chinese/Korean/Oriental " buffets where the food is always cold and the service usually SUCKS. Heaven forbid they build an Italian, Greek, German, Irish, African, Indian restaurant. This would be about as foreign to you crawfish sucking hicks as a New Guinea Penis Gourd wearing tribesman roaming your streets (or what's left of them, excuse me horse trails)
They also like coffee/internet shops where they can go and mingle with friends check their myspace page (you know that website that the local churches say is DEBIL inspired) but no place like that here is there other than Lake Charles or Alexandria or Natchitoches all more than 60 miles away not exactly a go to spot on a weeknight when first Formation is 0600 in the morning.
They also like, yeah you churchgoers cover your virgin ears, titty bars with GOOD LOOKING WOMEN (well most the Army guys do and believe it or not so do some of the women no not cause they are "gasp" lesbian but because that is where the single Army guys like to hang out and if you are a single Army woman well then???). What they don't care for are bars that rip off their hard earned cash and the women look like toothless biker chicks that have eaten way too much in those greasy catfish/crawfish/fastfood places mentioned above and now weigh 350lbs or have 6 kids (all by different fathers so hey at least you know they aren't shy when it comes to meeting those Army guys). But we are stuck with Pegasus and New Orleans Ladies (trust me if that is what the women in New Orleans look like I am not missing much.
They also like huge dance clubs (with again cute guys and girls) where they can get down with their type of music (again inspired by the DEBIL according to most the local churches). Not some backwoods accordion playing Hillbilly (ie Wayne Toups who????) or as most recently on Post Charlie Daniels whom most Soldiers were born WAY after Mr Daniels ever thought of being in the mainstream. To there credit, Miranda Lambert was a refreshing change and maybe you are finally catching on, new, young, fresh, good music and she was HOT!!!! and Sexy according to most of my Soldiers.
Ron

United States

#31 Apr 20, 2008
Vernon Parish is in the top of the schools simply because it has the military DOD schools as well. Therefore the kids come to Leesville and excell cause they were taught at the other schools. My friends child came to Leesville and was automatically promoted to the next grade NOT BECAUSE OF LEESVILLE'S SCHOOLS, BUT BECAUSE SHE HAD HER EARLY EDUCATION SOMEWHERE ELSE...

And "church" raises it's head again, well Leesville has over 50 churches in the area, but what for those folks who (ahem the debil might strike me dead) aren't exactly of the religious sort?? This would be perhaps the MAJORITY of the younger population that are forced to be here by the Army. Or you can hunt and fish, great let's go fish in one of Leesville's mercury polluted lakes so we can raise brain damaged children too. Hunting, yeah that is fun but considering most of today's population in the military are CITY CHILDREN who don't touch a rifle outside their military job, hunting just doesn't appeal to them.

What does appeal to them you ask how about: nice restaurants Leesville was going the right direction with Spirit's West oh that's right it was FORCED TO CLOSE (not as is thought in this area a myriad of roadside "crawfish, catfish, alligator" and other whatever the hell we pulled from the swampt today restaurants that dot this area). Oh don't like swampfood (cause seafood ie tuna, salmon, lobster, mahi mahi it ain't) then you can dine on hamburgers, tacos, and other lard laden greasy assed food that keeps the people of Leesville in such great shape, afterall round and 350lbs is a shape. Unfortunately those in the military have to stay hall shall I put this HEALTHY in order to do their jobs. They like to try new exotic foods, the closest Leesville has to this is probably 10 lackluster "Chinese/Korean/Oriental " buffets where the food is always cold and the service usually SUCKS. Heaven forbid they build an Italian, Greek, German, Irish, African, Indian restaurant. This would be about as foreign to you crawfish sucking hicks as a New Guinea Penis Gourd wearing tribesman roaming your streets (or what's left of them, excuse me horse trails)

continued in next post
Ron

United States

#32 Apr 20, 2008

They also like coffee/internet shops where they can go and mingle with friends check their myspace page (you know that website that the local churches say is DEBIL inspired) but no place like that here is there other than Lake Charles or Alexandria or Natchitoches all more than 60 miles away not exactly a go to spot on a weeknight when first Formation is 0600 in the morning.

They also like, yeah you churchgoers cover your virgin ears, titty bars with GOOD LOOKING WOMEN (well most the Army guys do and believe it or not so do some of the women no not cause they are "gasp" lesbian but because that is where the single Army guys like to hang out and if you are a single Army woman well then???). What they don't care for are bars that rip off their hard earned cash and the women look like toothless biker chicks that have eaten way too much in those greasy catfish/crawfish/fastfood places mentioned above and now weigh 350lbs or have 6 kids (all by different fathers so hey at least you know they aren't shy when it comes to meeting those Army guys). But we are stuck with Pegasus and New Orleans Ladies (trust me if that is what the women in New Orleans look like I am not missing much.

They also like huge dance clubs (with again cute guys and girls) where they can get down with their type of music (again inspired by the DEBIL according to most the local churches). Not some backwoods accordion playing Hillbilly (ie Wayne Toups who????) or as most recently on Post Charlie Daniels whom most Soldiers were born WAY after Mr Daniels ever thought of being in the mainstream. To there credit, Miranda Lambert was a refreshing change and maybe you are finally catching on, new, young, fresh, good music and she was HOT!!!! and Sexy according to most of my Soldiers

continued yet again
Ron

United States

#33 Apr 20, 2008
They also enjoy a city that looks well maintained (like Natchitoches or even Lake Charles again) not some place that looks like a White Trash trailer park. They like to be able to drive their very expensive and usually new cars (not farm trucks) down well maintained and serviceable roads without having to worry about needing a front end alignment with every oil change. They had rather not have to worry about some damned logging truck kicking up gravel and busting their windshields, sh*t flying off the backend of the damned things (bark, branches, mud, bugs, and even small animals) that is going to cause them to wreck their very expensive cars.

Finally they like a town sensitive to their wants and desires, not one that constantly bans good restaurants, clubs, and other venues mentioned above to hang on to some antiquated notion of what a small town should be like (funny a LOT of small towns in the area have a very active night life and as such their young people tend to stay). Not a town that seems to exist to "feed" off them and use them as the sole source of income for "their" town whilst providing NOTHING IN RETURN (oh but we support our military, No Leesville THE MILITARY SUPPORTS YOU!!!! point blank) You see the military can exist without Leesville can Leesville say the same, like Alexandria has done since the Airbase closed?? At least they learned to disversify their economy some and they unlike YOU seem to be growing and yes even attracting people in.

Until Leesville wakes the hell up and changes with the times (and we all know change is an instrument of the DEBIL!!!!) then it will continue to die and the Soldiers here will continue to look forward to their next assignment
Ron

United States

#34 Apr 20, 2008
Of course most won't understand this why cause this is the only place they have ever known and another life is foreign to them. Like monkeys at a zoo throwing sh*t it is what monkeys do. People from Leesville are the same way, they cannot change cause change is foreign to them, Leesville and those here are like those monkeys, can't get upset with them uneducated, unhealthy, backwoods trailer trash is who they are, what they are and what many of them secretly aspire to be
Ron

United States

#35 Apr 20, 2008
Furthermore, most of these Soldiers took the classes offered at most of the colleges around here in HIGH SCHOOL (stuff like Freshman English, Algebra, Calculus, Chemistry etc) and thus need schools that offer "Degree" programs in something other than welding. You know microbiology, oceanography, communications, MBA's and the such. Unfortunately the colleges here offer pretty much the basics (those classes that SHOULD BE taught in Leesville's public schools but aren't).

They also tend to enjoy areas with a VIBRANT downtown atmosphere, it can still be historical as long as if offers SOMETHING. Take a cue from other small towns in the area, Jefferson Texas, Marshall Texas, Nacogdoches Texas, Natchitoches La. What does Leesvilles downtown offer? A lot of historical BOARDED UP OUT OF BUSINESS buildings. You see historical is ok as long as there is something going on. But historical and the only thing after 7 pm on the streets are tumble weeds and raccoons is not.

Maybe the title of the thread should be what DOESN'T piss you off about Leesville???
John

Winthrop, MA

#36 Apr 20, 2008
Just the way it is wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this person a Cooley?
HAHA I laughed so hard when I read that. But it can't be -- didn't they say they actually got out of Leesville?:)
another thing

France

#37 Apr 20, 2008
I agree, Leesville is not exactly a great place. I also acknowledge that some residents may feel the need to stick up for the town. It's not the worst place in the world to live, it's just close.

Regardless of how much the area sucks, you can find bad things to point out in any city. The South is an odd place with alot of rude, uneducated hicks, yes. But there's also a handful of honest, hard-working, accepting people. Some are there without much of a choice, and others simply don't want to live in a loud city. I met plenty of both types when I was in Ft. Polk.

Still, it's sad that so many of the locals will never be able to experience the REAL world. Things other than hunting and fishing, girlfriends other than their sister or cousin, and interracial friendships (with them there colored folk Mamaw warned them about). Not to say everybody in the area is racist.... just a large number.

To each his own. If you like it, stay, and try to be the change you'd like to see in your town (if any). If you hate it, take any opportunity you can to escape as soon as you can. Better things are waiting.
another thing

France

#38 Apr 20, 2008
WTF, why do my locations say Malden MA and Paris France? I've never been to either of those locations.... hahahah
Ron

United States

#39 Apr 21, 2008
It is just sad when many Soldiers at Ft. Polk secretly look forward to deploying to Afghanistan and Iraq just to LEAVE Leesville for even a short time. Not to mention the Posts in the war zone seem to offer more activities and be more modernized and kept up than Ft. Polk ever will be. Let's see in Iraq we have internet cafe's, large PX, clothing sales that actually isn't SOLD OUT CONSTANTLY of everything you need and air conditioned barracks that are actually turned on before 120 degree temps hit in JULY. We are also offered military healthcare by the military, not a bunch of uncaring civilian employees.

Let's see Ft. Polk offers gyms (like a prison when not in your "cell" you can go work out constantly), delabidated run down barracks (Warrior's Keep anyone), and motor pools that were outdated in the 70's with rusting hulks of what is left of military vehicles sitting in them.
Just the way it is

Birmingham, AL

#40 Apr 21, 2008
John wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHA I laughed so hard when I read that. But it can't be -- didn't they say they actually got out of Leesville?:)
Is the Cooley family name still there?
Ron

United States

#41 Apr 27, 2008
And please what is up with the Guardian Post newspaper, this thing is like reading the Russian "Pravda" at the height of the Soviet Empire.

"General Bolger bid farewell to the Soldiers, Citizens and Civilian employees that call Fort Polk Home"...

Ha-ha right, translation "General Bolger spun his tires and drove just as fast as he could to escape the hell he has been forced by the Army to live in for two years on his way back to civilization." In addition I know the Soldiers at Ft Polk, they call it many many things trust me unless they had the misfortune to grow up here HOME IS NOT one of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Hwy 28 at La 171 roundabout (Sep '10) 2 hr roun bout 34
oops I did it again 7 hr Brit 1
City Attorney 22 hr Mr Charlie 44
Donald Trump Fri noyahnevagonnageddit 81
Leesville City Council Meetings Thu thirtyoneosix 61
Police Jury buying votes? Aug 26 On looker 3
Entrance Road Aug 25 Bumpy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Leesville Mortgages