Niagara trying again for water-bottli...

Niagara trying again for water-bottling plant in Orlando area

There are 41 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jan 29, 2008, titled Niagara trying again for water-bottling plant in Orlando area. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A California-based water bottler is kicking off a new campaign to gain support for a controversial manufacturing plant in Groveland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Floridian

Clearwater, FL

#23 Feb 15, 2008
When those Hurricanes went through Central Florida and Louisiana, Niagara Water sent Water from California through FEMA to HELP the Victims.
Albert Einstein

Dallas, TX

#24 Feb 15, 2008
Another Floridian wrote:
Please let me know when the Permits request regarding Niagara Bottling, LLC. will be going to the Board of County Commisioners for discussion, I would be very interested in attending any Board Meetings where this will be a topic of discussion. I believe the Jobs and revenue that will be generated for Lake County is a wonderful opportunity for the citizens. I always find it very interesting when the Sierra Club does a mass e-mail campaign or better yet show up in green shirts acting like they can predict enviromental impact. I find it interesting in the reports (2007) I have read in the Orlando Sentinel. They went back two years for the rainfall totals, how about the year before when there were 4 Hurricanes that went through central Florida.
No bottling plant in Lake County. Not even in Pinellas County, you jerk! In fact, no where in the SE U.S. where water is in such short supply.
Alpha Nu Theta

AOL

#25 Feb 15, 2008
Another Floridian wrote:
Please let me know when the Permits request regarding Niagara Bottling, LLC. will be going to the Board of County Commisioners for discussion, I would be very interested in attending any Board Meetings where this will be a topic of discussion. I believe the Jobs and revenue that will be generated for Lake County is a wonderful opportunity for the citizens. I always find it very interesting when the Sierra Club does a mass e-mail campaign or better yet show up in green shirts acting like they can predict enviromental impact. I find it interesting in the reports (2007) I have read in the Orlando Sentinel. They went back two years for the rainfall totals, how about the year before when there were 4 Hurricanes that went through central Florida.
And deposited how much rain water? You also neglect to mention that their was a 5 year drought before the hurricanes. Do you live in Lake County?
Alpha Nu Theta

AOL

#26 Feb 15, 2008
Floridian wrote:
When those Hurricanes went through Central Florida and Louisiana, Niagara Water sent Water from California through FEMA to HELP the Victims.
And you feel they now need to be compensated for that? Please inform your bossses that in the future if they expect to be compensated for acts of charity and compassion, then they can keep their bottles of water.
duke

Lady Lake, FL

#27 Feb 15, 2008
has anybody started looking at any of the other pending permits for withdrawels? i saw some wanting to draw in excess of 1 million gallons per day. Lets get on with them also. In Leesburg some one wants to use 1.5 million to bottle concentrated orange juice.
duke

Lady Lake, FL

#28 Feb 15, 2008
I have also seen wicked witdrawals plaaned for making sand for developments. Go to the St. Johns Water Management District website and check out the other pending permits for Lake County. It will blow your mind!
ben

Lady Lake, FL

#29 Feb 15, 2008
I wonder how much fuel it takes to get bottled water from other states to florida? Could this be a move to regionalize goods and services to cut down on carbon emissions? Could they be trying to lower their carbon footprint? I ponder why they are trying to come here? I know fuel is going through the roof.
MelnykAndWind

Ocala, FL

#30 Mar 4, 2008
Have some of you ever traveled within your own State?
Marion County has two large water bottling plants and just to our south, Zephyr Hills has a nice sized plant.
My trucks have personally ship water from these sites to South Florida for many years.
What are your points? We have no water shortage in our areas. Maybe the issue is the over building on wet lands around Orlando and Disney.
Silver Springs (glass bottom boat rides) has not gone down one inch since all the bottling started here. We pull from an aquafier, not lakes or rivers. Learn geology and hydrology, then write.
amen

Oxford, FL

#31 Mar 7, 2008
MelnykAndWind wrote:
Have some of you ever traveled within your own State?
Marion County has two large water bottling plants and just to our south, Zephyr Hills has a nice sized plant.
My trucks have personally ship water from these sites to South Florida for many years.
What are your points? We have no water shortage in our areas. Maybe the issue is the over building on wet lands around Orlando and Disney.
Silver Springs (glass bottom boat rides) has not gone down one inch since all the bottling started here. We pull from an aquafier, not lakes or rivers. Learn geology and hydrology, then write.
Amen, I believe you 100%. The whiners can stop watering their lawns and grass if they are truly water challenged /concerned citizen. The can also stop building golf courses. I want my bottled water, cokes, beer, and OJ.
CAM

AOL

#32 Mar 15, 2008
For an area that has been so negative toward ubstainable industry this isnot the industry to embrace at this late and critical time. Check the monetary interest of those who do!!!
Jeanne

Mount Dora, FL

#33 Jun 27, 2008
Do Your Part To Save Water and Money
Water is a resource shared by all, and as Florida’s population increases, so does the need for all of Florida’s residents to conserve. Water conservation may seem unnecessary in a state surrounded by water, but not all of that water is readily available for drinking or irrigation.
This Web site offers many tips that can save water — and money — inside and outside your home. http://sjr.state.fl.us/floridaswater/conserva...
Conserving water is not only good for the environment, but can help you save money on utility bills, spend less time on home maintenance, and worry less about mold and mildew damage caused by leaking water.
Facts to consider:
• On average, each person in our area uses about 160 gallons of water in typical daily activities.
• More than 90 percent of the water we use comes from groundwater, water drawn from underground aquifers.
• Florida usually receives about 50 inches of rain each year, but only about 13 inches of water seeps into the ground to replenish underground aquifers.
• Using too much groundwater can result in drying out wetlands, lowering lake levels, reducing spring flows and impairing water quality from saltwater intrusion.
• These unacceptable impacts will not be allowed to occur.
Even with conservation, all future water supply needs within the St. Johns River Water Management District will not be able to be met from groundwater alone. Alternative water sources will need to be developed and alternative management strategies will need to be implemented.
One of the most important ways to help meet our water supply needs for today and in the future is through conservation, which is the efficient and effective use of water. Conservation will help sustain our groundwater supplies for as long as possible.
Silver Springs Teresa

AOL

#34 Jun 29, 2008
It is amazing how the ST. John's River Water Management can allow so many withdrawals from the Floridan Aquifer without doing any type of studies to assure the people that live here in Florida how these enmormous withdrawals will effect our lifestyles. I have not seen any studies on how the withdrawal from the aquifer beneath the Silver Springs Basin is going to affect the flow of the Silver River. The water bottling company here on the banks of Silver Springs has been running stong 24 hours a day for years now. It is only going to get worse and sooner or later, we are all going to go thirsty while these water bottling companies go global. I am trying to figure out how to get water out of a turnip right now. I know I am not voting any of the existing politicians in for any more terms. If they can't say NO, then I can, by voting them out of office!
Pat Burnham Howey

San Diego, CA

#35 Aug 12, 2008
Frank Miller wrote:
I personally believe that Niagara would be a good fit for the community. It will bring great jobs to the area and it is worth the water. There may be the looming fear that we will be paying to pipe in alternative water sources; fact of the matter is, we are eventually going to have to pay for this anyways whether Niagara comes or not. Why not allow them to come and use the millions Lake Co. generates in tax money to offset the costs we will pay?! Also, I think everyone is over estimating how much water they will use. 178 million gallons a year is less than Lake County uses in day. The tree farm on SR 19 uses 7 million gallons a day! Thats 2.5 billion gallons per year used for irrigation, most of which is evaporated and carried to a different region!
Please clear up a matter for me if you will. It is my understanding that Florida is using water from Georgia and Georgia is feeling the water shortage. Why then if we are already taking water from another state should we have yet more water depleted. Will it really help with taxes?
6 actual

Haughton, LA

#36 Aug 12, 2008
Pat Burnham Howey wrote:
<quoted text>Please clear up a matter for me if you will. It is my understanding that Florida is using water from Georgia and Georgia is feeling the water shortage. Why then if we are already taking water from another state should we have yet more water depleted. Will it really help with taxes?
The water you refer to is surface water from Lake Lanier via the Apalachacola River in Florida. The Lake County water is from the aquifer, ground water, just where it originates from is anybody's guess. 200 jobs for Lake County isn't going to help with taxes in the county.
Pat Burnham Howey

San Diego, CA

#37 Aug 12, 2008
Albert Einstein wrote:
<quoted text>
No bottling plant in Lake County. Not even in Pinellas County, you jerk! In fact, no where in the SE U.S. where water is in such short supply.
Thank you for your comment. Florida is in such short supply of water that we are using water from a part of Georgia for, I believe the waters is used to keep our wildlife with enough water which then, I would imagine would cause a burden upon folks in that part of Georgia that are losing their water at what amount of gallonage per year I am not sure of but you could check it out. I live in Lake County in the colder months and in Massachusetts in the summer and cannot imagine that this would be a good thing for Lake County. Just look at our lakes, our rivers, and someone would most likely come to the same conclusion as you and I. Why not have water be bottled in California and leave Florida alone.
Pat Burnham Howey

San Diego, CA

#38 Aug 12, 2008
6 actual wrote:
<quoted text>
The water you refer to is surface water from Lake Lanier via the Apalachacola River in Florida. The Lake County water is from the aquifer, ground water, just where it originates from is anybody's guess. 200 jobs for Lake County isn't going to help with taxes in the county.
I agree with you completely. In my opinion there is no place in any of the counties of Florida that would be right for this type of business.
6 actual

Haughton, LA

#39 Aug 12, 2008
In the long term, here's what you can expect. Polk county withdraws 250 million gallons per day, and the 5 county area there draws 1 billion gallons. The result is that the springs there quit flowing, the Floridan Aquifer dropped 30 feet, and the Peace River dried up. All surface springs are now reversed and drain the river. Kissengen Springs, which used to flow 20 million gallons per day, has now reversed, due to groundwater pumping. There is no fix.
This is what Lake County will face in the near future.
Floridian

United States

#40 Sep 4, 2008
Frank Miller wrote:
I personally believe that Niagara would be a good fit for the community. It will bring great jobs to the area and it is worth the water. There may be the looming fear that we will be paying to pipe in alternative water sources; fact of the matter is, we are eventually going to have to pay for this anyways whether Niagara comes or not. Why not allow them to come and use the millions Lake Co. generates in tax money to offset the costs we will pay?! Also, I think everyone is over estimating how much water they will use. 178 million gallons a year is less than Lake County uses in day. The tree farm on SR 19 uses 7 million gallons a day! Thats 2.5 billion gallons per year used for irrigation, most of which is evaporated and carried to a different region!
Even though all you said may be true, we just don't need an extra way to lose water.
jimmy jones

Jacksonville, FL

#41 Sep 6, 2008
I don't agree with this water plant either. this good clean source of water should be used and saved for people in Florida. If we give this water Niagra, we will be the ones with water problems in years to come.

Since: May 08

Leesburg Fl

#42 Sep 17, 2008
MelnykAndWind wrote:
Have some of you ever traveled within your own State? We pull from an aquifier, not lakes or rivers. Learn geology and hydrology, then write.
And gotta say the same to you... Florida is limestone and sand on top of Floridan aquifer where Niagara wants to pull from. Increased drawings from the aquifer means more sink holes since water will migrate from the surface downward leaving limestone cavities that will colapse. Step off sport it's our water!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leesburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Squares Entertainment (SOUND ENGINEERING) 19 hr Chaplain1 1
Donald Trump LOL Fri Pissed 14
Talk Of The Villages (TOTV) (Jul '14) Thu 1hungdown 335
the fall of america May 24 Herman 7
Seat savers at the villages squares. May 24 Herman 1
the villages star golf carts what a joke (Aug '14) May 23 Brownwood Bob 19
security systems May 20 Ollie 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Leesburg Mortgages