5 former employees sue Leesburg, alle...

5 former employees sue Leesburg, alleging racial discrimination

There are 23 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 10, 2008, titled 5 former employees sue Leesburg, alleging racial discrimination. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Five former city employees have sued Leesburg in federal court, alleging they endured racial discrimination on the job because they are black and suffered retaliation because they complained to supervisors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Here we go again

Summerville, SC

#1 May 10, 2008
Sue just because you're black and can't perform the task and actually work for a living. Being passed up for a promotion simply says you're not good enough. This is life and it happens to white people all the time. Maybe we should all just pick a municipality and sue them for whatever. What a great place to live.
crazy

Orlando, FL

#2 May 10, 2008
if there is a legitimate lawsuit then the city should have to pay, if not, then those that sue should.
Delusionole

Lady Lake, FL

#3 May 10, 2008
crazy wrote:
if there is a legitimate lawsuit then the city should have to pay, if not, then those that sue should.
If it was legit, it would be very suprising. Just pay the reparatins and ask them too leave town.
Citizenry

Fort Wayne, IN

#7 May 10, 2008
Here we go again wrote:
Sue just because you're black and can't perform the task and actually work for a living. Being passed up for a promotion simply says you're not good enough. This is life and it happens to white people all the time. Maybe we should all just pick a municipality and sue them for whatever. What a great place to live.
You're right, it does happen all the time, but the law says it can't happen just because you don't like black people. If you're an example of the jury pool, it's no wonder discrimination is alive and well in America in 2008.
barney fife

Apopka, FL

#8 May 10, 2008
Citizenry wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, it does happen all the time, but the law says it can't happen just because you don't like black people. If you're an example of the jury pool, it's no wonder discrimination is alive and well in America in 2008.
Why did we ever have to bring them over here? Why GOD? Why?
HoHoHo

Miami, FL

#9 May 10, 2008
Why is it that sub-par performers always play the race card when it is not a race issue?
Luvthepeeps

United States

#10 May 10, 2008
Citizenry wrote:
<quoted text>
If for some reason you interpreted my statement to reflect that I don't "like" black people then maybe you should read it again. I have numerous friends that are black and they don't go crying to a lawyer b/c they can't hack it at their job and consequently get fired. They are all employed and do their job well. Therefore there's no reason for worry. That's all these people are doing is circumventing their own problem by blaming it on the city. Face it this is America and not all persons here are going to be happy. And you are one of them! Get over it and either terminate yourself from existence or deal with reality. And by the way, I have never and never will be in a "jury pool" b/c according to you I'm racist.
Citizenry

Fort Wayne, IN

#11 May 10, 2008
Luvthepeeps wrote:
<quoted text>
If for some reason you interpreted my statement to reflect that I don't "like" black people then maybe you should read it again. I have numerous friends that are black and they don't go crying to a lawyer b/c they can't hack it at their job and consequently get fired. They are all employed and do their job well. Therefore there's no reason for worry. That's all these people are doing is circumventing their own problem by blaming it on the city. Face it this is America and not all persons here are going to be happy. And you are one of them! Get over it and either terminate yourself from existence or deal with reality. And by the way, I have never and never will be in a "jury pool" b/c according to you I'm racist.
I don't know you, but perhaps you should re-read the first sentence of your comments. Your automatic dismissal of the claims implies you may think racial discrimination is a myth. My point is simply that your dismissive and apathetic mindset, while not overtly racist, certainly provides open opportunity for racists to function unchecked by you or others like you. Hence, my assertion that such a jury pool allows racial and ethnic discrimination to continue in our society. We are our brothers' keeper and that means being willing to stand with them when they are being mistreated or at least allowing them a fair hearing if they think they're being mistreated. I don't know these people, but if they were victims of discrimination, they deserve vindication and perhaps compensation. As far as your 'numerous' black friends, I'm just glad none of them has ever been discriminated against. Lastly, let me clarify for you that I am a very happy person and not even remotely inclined to 'terminate myself'. I love my life and my country and I am willing to do what it takes to make it the country our forefathers and all those who labored, bled and died for it to be.
Andy Griffith

Fort Wayne, IN

#12 May 10, 2008
barney fife wrote:
<quoted text>Why did we ever have to bring them over here? Why GOD? Why?
GOD had nothing to do with bringing them over here. Greed and a lack of humanity is why they were brought here. Free labor and a perverse sense of superiority is why they were brought here. Amorality, lust for power, and laziness is why they were brought here. Since they've been here since 1619, the real question may be why did they let you come here?
BOUNDLESS CONFIDENCE

United States

#13 May 12, 2008
you people are the very best. it is a good thing that this world belongs to God and not some of you. white people have no use for blacks no matter how friendly they pretend to be. Their true colors will definately come out one day. If half of you had your way blacks would not exist in the world. I have boundless confidence in God and I don't fear what man can do unto me. God is still and always be in control. Sit back relax and enjoy the ride
Just One Voice

Sebring, FL

#14 May 13, 2008
I find it hard to believe that these people faced discrimination in the workplace, espcially since 3 of the 5 were fired from the job. Just another group of morans looking for a fast free buck.
barney

AOL

#15 May 14, 2008
Andy Griffith wrote:
<quoted text>
GOD had nothing to do with bringing them over here. Greed and a lack of humanity is why they were brought here. Free labor and a perverse sense of superiority is why they were brought here. Amorality, lust for power, and laziness is why they were brought here. Since they've been here since 1619, the real question may be why did they let you come here?
O.K you are the smartest person ever! Thank you for that info. We brought them here because we were lazy! Well who taught them how to work? And we thought of ourselfs as superior? Well if that was'nt so, why did'nt they have us as slaves? We were amoral! But so was every other superpower through out history! The Romans took many slaves, black, tan and white! Could you name one city in America, that blacks have moved into and made a better place? And as to the reason I was brought here? We were brought here to simply run things? Get over it!
BOUNDLESS CONFIDENCE

United States

#16 May 14, 2008
barney wrote:
<quoted text>O.K you are the smartest person ever! Thank you for that info. We brought them here because we were lazy! Well who taught them how to work? And we thought of ourselfs as superior? Well if that was'nt so, why did'nt they have us as slaves? We were amoral! But so was every other superpower through out history! The Romans took many slaves, black, tan and white! Could you name one city in America, that blacks have moved into and made a better place? And as to the reason I was brought here? We were brought here to simply run things? Get over it!

No Thank you. You have just proven our point you are a big time RACIST. have a great life
BOUNDLESS CONFIDENCE

United States

#17 May 14, 2008
Just One Voice wrote:
I find it hard to believe that these people faced discrimination in the workplace, espcially since 3 of the 5 were fired from the job. Just another group of morans looking for a fast free buck.
you are another idiot or you're just Balam's transportation and the bigest Moran of us all. so because people get fired that means that they were'nt discriminated against, wrongfully terminated or forced out. oh, I forget Florida is a right to work State. then again you and all the other morans like yourself should read the fine print.
Learn first

United States

#18 May 16, 2008
BOUNDLESS CONFIDENCE wrote:
<quoted text>
you are another idiot or you're just Balam's transportation and the bigest Moran of us all. so because people get fired that means that they were'nt discriminated against, wrongfully terminated or forced out. oh, I forget Florida is a right to work State. then again you and all the other morans like yourself should read the fine print.
The point is you can't F***ing spell and you have a hard enough time making sense. Yes that's right if you are fired in some way you are discriminated against, FOR NOT DOING YOUR JOB. Plain and simple!! If you want the legal side then you can sue for anything short of being alive. Face it dude or whatever, it's life and if you don't do the job expected of you then you're gone! It's too bad that gas is $4.00 a gallon but hey let's argue over what's really important!
DoYourHomework

Mount Dora, FL

#19 May 17, 2008
How come stories like this always bring out the racists?

This is Leesburg. This racism can be found all over the community/area. So why wouldn't it be found in city jobs?

I applaud these 5 for standing up for themselves and others. Hopefully they can make a difference.
BOUNDLESS CONFIDENCE

United States

#20 May 27, 2008
Learn first wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is you can't F***ing spell and you have a hard enough time making sense. Yes that's right if you are fired in some way you are discriminated against, FOR NOT DOING YOUR JOB. Plain and simple!! If you want the legal side then you can sue for anything short of being alive. Face it dude or whatever, it's life and if you don't do the job expected of you then you're gone! It's too bad that gas is $4.00 a gallon but hey let's argue over what's really important!
Oh I struck a nerve hope you did not have a silent stroke. it is useless to speak to you because you are convinced that you know what went on in the Racist Hicktown city of leesburg. Hope you don't ever get fired for not doing your work. stupid!!!
BOUNDLESS CONFIDENCE

United States

#21 May 27, 2008
Learn first wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot to mention this. you should probably check the record of the two fired females from the City of Leesburg; if it wasn't for them the development that was going on within the city would not be possible. The carried the Planning and Zoning Department for our information. The white folks got paid for doing nothing and lying to the people who checked on their site plans and projects right to their faces.
So before putting your head on the block that these girls got fired because they did not do their work you should do your homework. I think you should put your head on a block it would look real good being chopped off. Oh I should not have said that but I meant it. this world is full of IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU. have a great life.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#24 Feb 17, 2012
Ouch!!! I have read all of these posts starting from #1 Great Job Floridians!! You really prove yourselves as the #1 Racist State Alive!!! I'm not even a Floridian and only been here for 5 Months and have already faced numerous racial profiling and discrimination. Go to google and type up Florida a Racist State? Lol You'll get your anwser and all of the White bigger racist areas that pull up. I even know where all the KKK sattlite offices are in Central Florida. I'm African American and it didn't take me but 2 weeks to understand and find out the Racist ways of Florida. Also look up Knights of Columbus and the story of the Fruitland Police Department Cop who got caught receiving mail and a KKK completion certificate at the police station. He resigned and later felt like an asshole. Anyways I'm only 29 and im on top of my game. These Racist white Floridians will smile in your face one day and then the next day call the police on you just to create a track record or tick u off. I'm in the middle of a discrimination lawsuit now and sitting on banks of money I have yet to receive because my landlords already admitted to wrongful eviction. So more power to the people suing for their rights!! This is America. Love One Another we are all Gods Children and if u don't like someone for whatever reason leave it alone and walk away. You KKK hoes have no right to justify your racial behavior but it's ok because like I said earlier you people is what make those of color richer when caught and let the dark soon come to Light!!!!
Brian

Oak Hill, FL

#25 Feb 19, 2012
you know one that even works?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leesburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the fall of america Tue Herman 7
Seat savers at the villages squares. Tue Herman 1
the villages star golf carts what a joke (Aug '14) May 23 Brownwood Bob 19
Talk Of The Villages (TOTV) (Jul '14) May 22 RuffnReddy 334
security systems May 20 Ollie 3
News Audit 'stunningly critical' of MPO May 14 SMH 8
new drug dealer May 13 i know 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Leesburg Mortgages