Missouri child-support law change touches many issues

Sep 8, 2007 Full story: Kansas City Star 4,296

“This is not in the best interest of Missouri's children”

Children, according to popular notion, don't buy Johnnie Walker Red or engage enemy combatants in Iraq.

So why should parents be required to pay child support for someone old enough to do either?

A Missouri lawmaker from Belton doesn't think they should. Rep. Brian Baker pushed for change, and last week a new state law dropped the maximum age for child support from 22 to 21. It also set new academic standards for students whose parents receive child support.

Baker, a Republican, had wanted the limit to fall to 18, because that is when people first can vote. It is also the age at which most states, including Kansas, draw the line for child support. Read more

Full Story

“Here kitty kitty...”

Since: Apr 07

Joplin

#21 Oct 13, 2007
Imprtnrd wrote:
Im a dad living in MO. The ex and kids live in KS. I pay EVERY month at the 1st. I started out paying $1300.00 a month. I pay $1000.00 now. The other kid turns 18 next June and will be DONE! Thank god! I've been paying since 1999. Its just a damn shame the ex never saved any of that money and give it to the kids when they turned 18! What a pity!
Oh and she should have had to pay for everything else all those years right, you didn't owe your kids money for food, shelter, doctor visits, piano lessons or anything else right? You sir are the reason why abortion is still legalized.
unknown dad

New Cambria, KS

#22 Oct 14, 2007
I am paying support for a child that I was never told about until she was 7yrs.old.How can it be legal to hide the existence of my only child for all that and still do so today,and the only right that I have is to pay.Her mother has made any type of relationship with her impossible,all I am is a paycheck&spurmdonor.I have no rights as a parent&never have.
Just Mom

Monett, MO

#23 Oct 15, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
How many of you on here actually have to fight for your support? I am a single mom of six and have put myself thru college and am continuing my education. CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT is A FRIGGING JOKE.It completely blows my mind how you tend to think just because your child turns 18 then they can handle life all on their own, let's just push them out of the nest. Time to move on. Have you never had to borrow money from your parents when you were older than 18 to fix your car or buy a meal or bag of groceries? If you think your obligation to them stops because they enter draft age then why did you have children? They are a lifelong commitment people, not a trophy for enduring years of marriage. We send them unequipped into a world full of unknowns when they are still learning to be people themselves. Now we have a bunch of butthole politicians telling us when to cut the strings for supporting our children? It's astounding especially since most of you paying support had to be ordered to do so in the first place. How about in the next life you opt to wear a condom or perhaps two to prevent yourselves from obtaining the "parent" sticker. What a sad waste, and we wonder why this Earth and our children are going to hell in a handbasket.
So when are you suppose to cut the apron strings??? You are part of what is wrong with the world today....your kids must think that you will always owe them just because you gave birth to them. I have 3 children, 1 use to receive child support (yes her father & I are divorced) that support stopped at 18, he paid his child support every month, carried insurance, & paid 1/2 of the medical bill not covered by insurance. Not once did I ask him for anything extra, if she wanted to be in dance, I paid for it, same with any extraciricular activies. The extra pleasures "piano lessons" are wants not needs. Child 2, her father died when she was 18 months old, she does receive a Social Security check every month, but that will stop once she reaches the age of 18.(Guess the Gov't shouldn't cut the strings?) Child 3, her father & I are married, but my husband pays child support on his 2 kids from his previous marriage. Plus we carry insurance, & pay 1/2 of the medical bills not covered by insurance. His ex-wife has lived with her parents rent free for the past 11 years, hmmm..wonder where all of the support went, I guess trips to Disney Land, Colorado, 4-wheelers, etc. The things my kids at home don't get to enjoy. I have been on both sides of the support issue. I agree child support should be paid by the non-custodial parent, there has to come a time when it stops and that is at the age of 18 or when they graduate from high school. Oh and by the way, my parents were both dead by the time I was 19, so I didn't have anyone to buy me a bag of groceries, buy me a meal, or help fix my car. I figured out how to do that on my own; and not once have I been on welfare. You figure out what you have to do, how to do it, and move on. And for all of those griping about not receiving what they think they deserve from the non-custodial parent, what are you doing with a computer, maybe you should have spent your support for groceries, or clothing for your kids.

“Here kitty kitty...”

Joplin

#24 Oct 15, 2007
Just Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
So when are you suppose to cut the apron strings??? You are part of what is wrong with the world today....your kids must think that you will always owe them just because you gave birth to them. I have 3 children, 1 use to receive child support (yes her father & I are divorced) that support stopped at 18, he paid his child support every month, carried insurance, & paid 1/2 of the medical bill not covered by insurance. Not once did I ask him for anything extra, if she wanted to be in dance, I paid for it, same with any extraciricular activies. The extra pleasures "piano lessons" are wants not needs. Child 2, her father died when she was 18 months old, she does receive a Social Security check every month, but that will stop once she reaches the age of 18.(Guess the Gov't shouldn't cut the strings?) Child 3, her father & I are married, but my husband pays child support on his 2 kids from his previous marriage. Plus we carry insurance, & pay 1/2 of the medical bills not covered by insurance. His ex-wife has lived with her parents rent free for the past 11 years, hmmm..wonder where all of the support went, I guess trips to Disney Land, Colorado, 4-wheelers, etc. The things my kids at home don't get to enjoy. I have been on both sides of the support issue. I agree child support should be paid by the non-custodial parent, there has to come a time when it stops and that is at the age of 18 or when they graduate from high school. Oh and by the way, my parents were both dead by the time I was 19, so I didn't have anyone to buy me a bag of groceries, buy me a meal, or help fix my car. I figured out how to do that on my own; and not once have I been on welfare. You figure out what you have to do, how to do it, and move on. And for all of those griping about not receiving what they think they deserve from the non-custodial parent, what are you doing with a computer, maybe you should have spent your support for groceries, or clothing for your kids.
Wow, you are a really good example of why people like you shouldn't have responsibilities other than yourself. You want to attack me because I have a computer, get a clue woman. I earn my keep and have been the only parent in my childrens lives. Perhaps if you'd have been more ambitous with your life you wouldn't be bitching about having to help support children that biologically are and are not yours. Seeing to the basic needs of your children are the primary responsibility. Needs are defined by each parent individually. Perhaps the government should have cut the strings upon the death of child number two's father, then I bet you wouldn't be singing this song. It's been my taxes that I pay in plentitude that has helped to fund you and your childs needs. Oops guess you forgot that little part, and SSI is a governmental program, not to mention the fact that I seriously doubt your childs father had been alive long enough to build up a nice retirement package stored in the US government. I hope that you don't welcome into your home those children of your new spouse with the same coldness you type on your computer.
hhmmmm

Ozark, MO

#25 Oct 15, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
How many of you on here actually have to fight for your support? I am a single mom of six and have put myself thru college and am continuing my education. CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT is A FRIGGING JOKE.It completely blows my mind how you tend to think just because your child turns 18 then they can handle life all on their own, let's just push them out of the nest. Time to move on. Have you never had to borrow money from your parents when you were older than 18 to fix your car or buy a meal or bag of groceries? If you think your obligation to them stops because they enter draft age then why did you have children? They are a lifelong commitment people, not a trophy for enduring years of marriage. We send them unequipped into a world full of unknowns when they are still learning to be people themselves. Now we have a bunch of butthole politicians telling us when to cut the strings for supporting our children? It's astounding especially since most of you paying support had to be ordered to do so in the first place. How about in the next life you opt to wear a condom or perhaps two to prevent yourselves from obtaining the "parent" sticker. What a sad waste, and we wonder why this Earth and our children are going to hell in a handbasket.
How many kids? If your child turned 18 and decided to go live with their other parent would you feel obligated to pay support until he or she turned 22?
hhmmmm

Ozark, MO

#26 Oct 15, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you are a really good example of why people like you shouldn't have responsibilities other than yourself. You want to attack me because I have a computer, get a clue woman. I earn my keep and have been the only parent in my childrens lives. Perhaps if you'd have been more ambitous with your life you wouldn't be bitching about having to help support children that biologically are and are not yours. Seeing to the basic needs of your children are the primary responsibility. Needs are defined by each parent individually. Perhaps the government should have cut the strings upon the death of child number two's father, then I bet you wouldn't be singing this song. It's been my taxes that I pay in plentitude that has helped to fund you and your childs needs. Oops guess you forgot that little part, and SSI is a governmental program, not to mention the fact that I seriously doubt your childs father had been alive long enough to build up a nice retirement package stored in the US government. I hope that you don't welcome into your home those children of your new spouse with the same coldness you type on your computer.
You seem like a very bitter, hateful person.You accuse someone of attacking you? Apparently you don't read your own postings. I feel so sorry for your children and your ex.
hhmmmm

Ozark, MO

#27 Oct 15, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
<quoted text> Oh and she should have had to pay for everything else all those years right, you didn't owe your kids money for food, shelter, doctor visits, piano lessons or anything else right? You sir are the reason why abortion is still legalized.
What's that stupid reply supposed to mean?
hhmmmm

Ozark, MO

#28 Oct 15, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
Nurse? Really? How many kids? Why are you single? Did you just tell someone about condoms?hhmmmm
Just Mom

Monett, MO

#29 Oct 16, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are earning your keep then what are you doing posting crap on here. I love and take care of my children, but as a good parent I am teaching them to become responsible adults. Apparently something you are lacking...if you think that children should be supported once they reach adulthood. I am not arguing that the Death Benefits of Social Security is goverment funded, what I am arguing is the fact that people who receive support are griping because they feel like it should continue as long as the child is in college; Social Security stops at age 18, you need to get a clue. I am not bitching about taking care of my children biological or not, I am saying there has to come a time when they have to stand on their own feet...you get a clue. And trust me my children are my primary responsibility, that is why I am teaching them to be responsible self supporting adults. Maybe that is something you need to try.

“Here kitty kitty...”

Joplin

#30 Oct 16, 2007
hhmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>How many kids? If your child turned 18 and decided to go live with their other parent would you feel obligated to pay support until he or she turned 22?
Yes I would.

“Here kitty kitty...”

Joplin

#31 Oct 16, 2007
hhmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>You seem like a very bitter, hateful person.You accuse someone of attacking you? Apparently you don't read your own postings. I feel so sorry for your children and your ex.
Hhmmmmm, you sound like someone who doesn't know thier own hateful bitter self. You are attacking me for standing up for my and childrens rights, not to mention you don't reside in this state and are not subject to it's rules. I am hateful and bitter? Reflect upon yourself, because someone from another state who is posting to laws that don't even govern them is not exactly out for just conversation.

“Here kitty kitty...”

Joplin

#32 Oct 16, 2007
hhmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>What's that stupid reply supposed to mean?
You would know stupid.... Mississippi?

“Here kitty kitty...”

Joplin

#33 Oct 16, 2007
Just Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are earning your keep then what are you doing posting crap on here. I love and take care of my children, but as a good parent I am teaching them to become responsible adults. Apparently something you are lacking...if you think that children should be supported once they reach adulthood. I am not arguing that the Death Benefits of Social Security is goverment funded, what I am arguing is the fact that people who receive support are griping because they feel like it should continue as long as the child is in college; Social Security stops at age 18, you need to get a clue. I am not bitching about taking care of my children biological or not, I am saying there has to come a time when they have to stand on their own feet...you get a clue. And trust me my children are my primary responsibility, that is why I am teaching them to be responsible self supporting adults. Maybe that is something you need to try.
I just bet you are, teaching them to be responsible adults does not mean that they must be afraid to ask their parents for financial help. I would have thought you enduring what you did would have made you more proactive in making sure your children would have you to come back to. Whilst you are molding them to be"responsible" how about throwing in some compassion to the mix as well or is that beyond your capacity? Also it seems as though you are stuck on this computer thing to, first of all, don't be a hater because I CAN afford to have a computer and DSL and amenities, I earn them with my salary, I have been to college and have a degree that earns me a better than average income. Perhaps you should venture out and do the same. Since you asked if I was "earning my keep" the answer is yes, more than so, and I am also earning yours as well, perhaps you should send thank you cards to all of us in this great state for helping to fund your family after your childs' fathers death. Secondly I could ask you the same thing about posting crap on here, oh that's right, it's evident that this is your only vice to vent on, you wouldn't want your molded children to know just how much you enjoy being a parent.
Just Mom

Monett, MO

#34 Oct 16, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
<quoted text>I just bet you are, teaching them to be responsible adults does not mean that they must be afraid to ask their parents for financial help. I would have thought you enduring what you did would have made you more proactive in making sure your children would have you to come back to. Whilst you are molding them to be"responsible" how about throwing in some compassion to the mix as well or is that beyond your capacity? Also it seems as though you are stuck on this computer thing to, first of all, don't be a hater because I CAN afford to have a computer and DSL and amenities, I earn them with my salary, I have been to college and have a degree that earns me a better than average income. Perhaps you should venture out and do the same. Since you asked if I was "earning my keep" the answer is yes, more than so, and I am also earning yours as well, perhaps you should send thank you cards to all of us in this great state for helping to fund your family after your childs' fathers death. Secondly I could ask you the same thing about posting crap on here, oh that's right, it's evident that this is your only vice to vent on, you wouldn't want your molded children to know just how much you enjoy being a parent.
Because of what I have been thru is the reason I am teaching my children to become responsible...unlike you. If you earn a substantial amount of money then what is your bitch about child support. I am not a HATER because you have a computer goody for you. Others on this board bitch about not getting their child support and their kids not having the "stuff" they need, then sell the computer. You have no idea how much my deceased husband paid into Social Security..so stick that up your ass... How do you know that I haven't been to college...ESP? Sounds like to me that this is your vice for venting...my comments originally were for those griping about child support not continuing until a college student is 22. Read the entire board NURSE. And who are you to tell others (from this State or others) not to post on this subject...You are the one that might need to read up on compassion...I feel sorry for your kids, they probably wish they did live with their father.

“Here kitty kitty...”

Joplin

#36 Oct 16, 2007
Just Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Concerned- you say it infuriates you that this man has not responsiblities to make sure your education was continued....your a graduate from high school, why is it his resposibility or even your mothers? Your an adult you figure out how to further your education. At age 18 anyone can legally enter into a contract, why should a non-custodial parent be forced to continue support if a young adult wants to further their education. Maybe part of the education is paying for it.
Perhaps we should even lower the drinking age to 18 as well, by GOD if you can take a bullet, vote and buy cigarrettes you should atleast be able to go to bars and buy alcohol.
Just Mom

Monett, MO

#37 Oct 16, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
My bitch is that their father owes it to them. Second your deceased husband would have had to have been elderly when you got pregnant for him to have built up much for your daughter. I wonder something, if SSI would have not been there, if the government simply said, "tough shit" you are on your own( like most fathers do) would you not have been a little pissed too? Oh that's right you are in Verona, such a HIGH SOCIETY town that is chocked full of educated people, hmm let's see who was the last person from your town that made changes in this great state? Oh yeah nobody. I have the right to tell others who do not reside in this state that their opinions, dumbassed at best, do not apply to a state inwhich they do not reside, kinda like when you go to a really big city and people honk at you cuz your driving is crap. How can I tell you have not a college degree... gee I wonder. Maybe it's that great big neon sign hanging over your name that reads MORON! You couldn't figure out that my comments were directed at those opposing having to pay for support for their children whom they helped to conceive. You are a fine one to be talking to me about compassion: a subject inwhich you have no clue, if you did then you'd see that the whole article and legislation was passed by asshole men who were saying that they were "tricked" into become parents. Hello, I don't see how a man can be "tricked" into having sex. What did she camoflauge her coochie and say oh no there's nothing there? No, it's men like that who don't want to have to take responsibility for their actions, kinda like you and your teaching your kids to stand on their own, maybe if your children are smart they will get the hell out before they are 18 and find someone who can show them the compassion in which you lack. I feel sorry for your children, I bet we'll be reading about them next walking into a public school and opening fire. I also hope that your stepkids enjoy the trips their mom plans for them because I am sure with your lack of caring at your home, that it's not a fun place to be when you are around. I bet they wish they could spend more time with their father but know you won't let that happen.
Your the ugly, fat, sloppy EX WIFE that your EX-HUSBAND kept trying to get away from, but you kept spitting out kids. Maybe if you would stay out of his life and let him have a life with his kid he would. But if he has to contend with you everytime he sees them then no wonder he wants to disappear. I am sure you are one of those ex's who take him back to court every three years to try to raise the child support. EX WIVES like YOU make dead-beat DADS!
Parents that are divorced should not be MADE to continue paying child support once a child graduates from high school. Parents who are not divorced are not legally forced to pay for their children once they have graduated. OH and you sound very compassionate...like I said before your kids probably wish they did live with their father. YOU MAN HATER. It is not just about men who don't pay child support MORON...is any non-custodial parent. Yeah, and you really sound like you have an education too! HA.
Just Mom

Monett, MO

#39 Oct 17, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the best you can do? You are sad and pathetic, hate your ex husband's wife much? Oh let me guess you have to help support his kids too, not what you bargained for when you were fooling around with him. YEah you are so right I am fat and ugly. bwah hahahahahahaha, yeah you were the whore on the side that your husband was hosing and got knocked up. Wow what a educated woman you are, you are the true reason beautiful women like me divorce losers like your's. Just remember this conversation when he's humping around and knock's up the next town whore of Verona, what a great role model for your children you must be. Maybe you can make better money by advertising for Serta.
Your so smart I just am amazed....I must have it a nerve. Oh and by the way Social Security survivor benefits differ from SSI.(SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. When a person who has worked and paid Social Security taxes dies, certain members of the family may be eligible for survivors benefits. Up to ten years of work is needed to be eligible for benefits, depending on the person's age at the time of death. Your smart look it up.
So say what you want about me, my husband, his ex-wife, it really doesn't matter. As for myself and others who read this thread everyone can tell what type of person (mother, & ex-wife) you really are. The point of this entire thread is the fact that NON-CUSTODIAL parents should not be forced to continue to pay child support after their child is 18 or has graduated from high school.
Flower

Nixa, MO

#40 Oct 17, 2007
curious dad wrote:
what is the definition of a single mother? if someone can answer that for me that would be great!
My Mother was a single mother, and I believe she's the definition of a single mother. My Dad NEVER sent any help, even with a court order. Even though he didn't help she NEVER said one bad word about him. She needed help YES, and I could've had more in life.
There is ALOT of women out there, that have children with guys, and then leave them, and get with another guy and have another baby, just so they don't have to do a thing. And my heart goes out for those guys.
Flower

Nixa, MO

#41 Oct 17, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I would.
I would. If my child desided to move in with the other parent and said they wanted to go to college, why not take care of them for a little longer. I made them, and brought them into this world.
hhmmmm

United States

#42 Oct 21, 2007
2642nurse2642 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the best you can do? You are sad and pathetic, hate your ex husband's wife much? Oh let me guess you have to help support his kids too, not what you bargained for when you were fooling around with him. YEah you are so right I am fat and ugly. bwah hahahahahahaha, yeah you were the whore on the side that your husband was hosing and got knocked up. Wow what a educated woman you are, you are the true reason beautiful women like me divorce losers like your's. Just remember this conversation when he's humping around and knock's up the next town whore of Verona, what a great role model for your children you must be. Maybe you can make better money by advertising for Serta.
OK, you can't be for real.YEE-HAW for drama and baseless accusations, you are the Queen.(Drag-queen maybe?)And apparently you know about everyone else and everything they do.(Are you God?)Keep this going beauty, you're very entertaining.How Many kids? Can't wait for the next episode. Have a great day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lees Summit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman: ' - Raytown Romeo' conned me out of $9K ... (Apr '14) Tue anotherone 33
Review: Asset Auto Sales Feb 23 Cecilia_arthur 1
Fun meet ups Feb 15 Chadf 1
is ruskin Heights as bad as it seems? Feb 5 cottoncandy 3
Review: Carter & Putnam, LLC Feb 1 Popcornball2 1
Kylie Long missing Jan '15 cindy 1
Another inmate dies in Cass County (Apr '08) Jan '15 Smokey mc smoke 34
Lees Summit Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web