Lee's Summit Elementary Students to b...

Lee's Summit Elementary Students to be Combined with Other Grades

There are 20 comments on the Fox4KC story from May 3, 2010, titled Lee's Summit Elementary Students to be Combined with Other Grades. In it, Fox4KC reports that:

LEE'S SUMMIT, MO - Parents in Lee's Summit are fired-up after receiving a note from the school district.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox4KC.

Mason

Pilot Grove, MO

#1 May 3, 2010
The Blue Springs School District is combining grade levels in middle school elective classes. 7 and 8 graders will be in the same music, computer, speech, art, FACS, technology, and foreign language classes.
Seriously

Lees Summit, MO

#2 May 4, 2010
Wow! A bond for 16 million dollars just got passed here in Lees Summit. Its a shame we couldnt use that money for education instead of astro-turf among other things.
Lees Summit Resident

Memphis, TN

#3 May 4, 2010
Well... There goes this school district. I was planning on putting my kids in the district, but not now. Where do we go now? Might have to have my wife home school them.
Sherri Tucker

Overland Park, KS

#4 May 4, 2010
http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-story-ls-scho...

How many times have we heard that there needs to be budget cuts? Lee's Summit R-7 wants to raise your taxes. If you don't vote yes on this, they might be able to decrease your taxes and then raise them for the purpose of education and not to compete with Johnson County (as one board member said).

Here is what they propose to do with your money.

A remodeling project at Pleasant Lea Middle School to improve spaces for the school's teacher planning center and student guidance area.

Technology improvements to address instructional and operational technology needs, laptop and desktop replacement, network infrastructure, security and storage, and emerging technology initiatives in the areas of student instruction.

Resurfacing of all three R-7 middleschool tracks to serve physical-education classes, athletic teams and community walkers and runners.

Construction of two unlighted, multi-use women's softball fields at Lee's Summit North High School that would serve physical-education classes and athletic teams, eliminating team travel to Legacy Park for practices and home games.

A Lee's Summit High School multi-use physical-education/activity/at hletic project that would remodel the school's existing spaces for wrestling, athletic training, mechanical and robotics team activities while constructing an approximately 7,700-square-foot new building. The new building would serve men's and women's programs and include restrooms, a weight training/strength-conditioning area, locker rooms, offices and storage areas.

Remodeling of the area currently used by Lee's Summit High School wrestlers to create a district-wide robotics center. This project would be made possible by the addition planned for the LSHS physical-education/activity/at hletic facility listed above. The high schools' robotics teams would use the remodeled space, allowing them to share materials, tools, and shop facilities.

Renovation of existing tennis courts at all three high schools that would upgrade court surfaces and serve physical-education classes, athletic teams and community members.

Replacement of the existing grass turf at all three high schools' stadiums with multi-use, all-weather artificial turf to serve physical-education classes, high-school and middle-school football and soccer teams and high school marching bands, drumlines, cheerleaders, flag and dance teams. Community organizations would also have the opportunity to use the artificial turf fields. The project would eliminate the need for rescheduling and relocation of R-7 stadium events due to weather-related challenges while providing safe and dry fields for physical-education and extra-curricular activities. It would also offer a partial operation and maintenance cost savings payback over the life of the turf while bringing the district's stadiums at the majority of metro-area high schools.

This will all come at a cost of $16 million.

Lee's Summit has already spent $12 million on an aquatic center that is not used for recreational therapy as called for by IDEA. It is for the district's 300 swimmers.

We spent $8.6 million on a state of the art administration building. It has everything that any major corporation would want to look successful.

We bought laptops for all of the school board members. We bought Blackberrys for school personnel.

Lee's Summit has bragged about the fact that they spend the least per student of any district in the area.

And I thought that our taxes were going for education. Silly me!!
gimpmeister

Saint Robert, MO

#5 May 6, 2010
this is a bad idea
momof5boyz

Grain Valley, MO

#6 May 9, 2010
This has been happening for years at our elementary school in LS. It is not a big deal in fact the kids have thrived. We have a "family" class and it is 4,5,6 that has stayed together for with the same teacher. We also have loop classes where they stay with the same teacher and class for 1 and 2 grade. My son went through it and it was great. I dont think its gonna be as bad as everyone thinks.
Tricia S

Kansas City, MO

#7 May 9, 2010
As a parent of two Lees Summit students, one currently in 5th grade, and another in 8th grade, I've got mixed emotions about this announcement. While I think my son, who will be in 6th grade next year, will see some benefit from having 5th graders in the same classroom, I'm worried about how many teachers will find themselves unemployed this summer. It's bad enough that teachers are undervalued and underpaid, but then to lose their jobs because the big-wigs in Jefferson City see them as nothing except numbers and mindblowing. Education should be one our largest priorities, not an opportunity for cost-savings and cut backs.
Tricia S

Kansas City, MO

#8 May 9, 2010
momof5boyz wrote:
This has been happening for years at our elementary school in LS. It is not a big deal in fact the kids have thrived. We have a "family" class and it is 4,5,6 that has stayed together for with the same teacher. We also have loop classes where they stay with the same teacher and class for 1 and 2 grade. My son went through it and it was great. I dont think its gonna be as bad as everyone thinks.
I love the idea of kids getting to stay with the same teacher year after year - as long as the child and the teacher "click" and work well together. I'd be thrilled if my son could have the same teacher next year as this year, because she's the best he's had since Kindergarten! Thank you for your postive words of encouragement!
Tricia S

Kansas City, MO

#9 May 9, 2010
gimpmeister wrote:
this is a bad idea
Why? Have you had a bad experience with this method?
Tricia S

Kansas City, MO

#10 May 9, 2010
Lees Summit Resident wrote:
Well... There goes this school district. I was planning on putting my kids in the district, but not now. Where do we go now? Might have to have my wife home school them.
Having moved my kids from the Blue Springs district to Lee's Summit a few years ago, I have to say that I've N-E-V-E-R regretted the move. My kids have SO many more opportunities now than they ever had in Blue Springs. My 5th grader, soon to be 6th, is likely to be in a combined classroom next year. Guess what? It's not the end of the world. I started having mixed-grade classes in 6th grade (middle school), and I survived it without any mental or physical scars. My son is actually excited, because he has some friends in the 4th grade who might actually get to be in his class next year! AND, he loves his teacher this year and is excited at even the chance of getting her again next year (and I'M excited about that, too! She's AMAZING!)

Honestly, I'm more worried about the teacher who might have to lose their jobs over this. Our economy is already unsteady at best, and laying off teacher - TEACHERS!- just doesn't make sense. They are laying the foundations on which our future generations will stand, and instead of supporting them and the kids who will someday lead this nation (heaven help us all), we're cutting funding and eliminating positions. THAT is a truly sad thing, and it speaks volumes as to why so many other nations beat America hands down in math, reading and science.
momof5boyz

Kansas City, MO

#11 May 10, 2010
From what I understand this is a way to keep classroom sizes down and KEEP all the teachers
Sherri Tucker

Overland Park, KS

#12 Aug 3, 2010
momof5boyz wrote:
From what I understand this is a way to keep classroom sizes down and KEEP all the teachers
Most of the classes have over 29 students. I don't see how combining grades will do anything, but have 6th graders doing 5th grade work or having 5th graders doing 6th grade work.

You can't have two different grades and teach to both. The day isn't long enough. There is very little teaching going on, as it is.

I'm glad that my daughters have graduated and my son dropped out. I no longer have to deal with football fields being more important than our children.

Lee's Summit didn't provide my children with anything. One is a drop out and one is having to take remedial classes in college. That is after having been on the honor roll all through school. There is so much more to this story and I would be happy to share.
Bill

Overland Park, KS

#13 Aug 3, 2010
Sherri Tucker wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the classes have over 29 students. I don't see how combining grades will do anything, but have 6th graders doing 5th grade work or having 5th graders doing 6th grade work.
You can't have two different grades and teach to both. The day isn't long enough. There is very little teaching going on, as it is.
I'm glad that my daughters have graduated and my son dropped out. I no longer have to deal with football fields being more important than our children.
Lee's Summit didn't provide my children with anything. One is a drop out and one is having to take remedial classes in college. That is after having been on the honor roll all through school. There is so much more to this story and I would be happy to share.
You should have moved them over to KCMO or Raytown. I find it amazing that the school district gets the blame for your kid dropping out. Good job mom.
Sherri Tucker

Overland Park, KS

#14 Aug 3, 2010
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have moved them over to KCMO or Raytown. I find it amazing that the school district gets the blame for your kid dropping out. Good job mom.
I said that I would be glad to provide details. You should have asked for them before you made a judgement. My son is autistic and the school district damaged him emotionally, psychologically, and physically. Not my diagnosis, but that of his doctor.

I did the best job that I could. I advocated for him, I ran for school board, I spoke with the Superintendent, I spoke to the newspapers, I spoke to the television news, I became a member of the DESE Special Education Advisory Panel, I spoke to the Feds, etc. I did all that I knew how to do.

I pray that you never have a child with special needs that is abused by the system. I wouldn't want you to experience what my child or I have experienced at the hands of people that make judgements without knowing the facts.
Opinion

Overland Park, KS

#15 Aug 3, 2010
Sherri Tucker wrote:
<quoted text>
I said that I would be glad to provide details. You should have asked for them before you made a judgement. My son is autistic and the school district damaged him emotionally, psychologically, and physically. Not my diagnosis, but that of his doctor.
I did the best job that I could. I advocated for him, I ran for school board, I spoke with the Superintendent, I spoke to the newspapers, I spoke to the television news, I became a member of the DESE Special Education Advisory Panel, I spoke to the Feds, etc. I did all that I knew how to do.
I pray that you never have a child with special needs that is abused by the system. I wouldn't want you to experience what my child or I have experienced at the hands of people that make judgements without knowing the facts.
There are likely 100 stories that are just the opposite of yours. I have three adult children that did very well at LSHS and I know several faculty members as personal friends that I respect as great educators. One of them teaches children with special needs by the way. Sounds like you should have made a change instead of whining to everyone. I suspect your life in general sucks.
Are you serious

Kansas City, KS

#16 Aug 3, 2010
I don't see anything wrong with it educationally since at the elementary grade levels each grade is so similar and so many things get repeated anyway. But I don't think it is a good thing socially.
Sherri Tucker

Overland Park, KS

#17 Aug 4, 2010
Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
There are likely 100 stories that are just the opposite of yours. I have three adult children that did very well at LSHS and I know several faculty members as personal friends that I respect as great educators. One of them teaches children with special needs by the way. Sounds like you should have made a change instead of whining to everyone. I suspect your life in general sucks.
My life sucks because those in charge don't do their jobs and those that don't know the truth chatise those that do. I know of many children that have done well in Lee's Summit. They are gifted and make the district look good.

Have you checked the MAP scores? Lee's Summit has been failing black children, poor children, and special education for many years. They are under corrective action because of it. Don't be fooled by false press reports. Research and find out the truth.

I have tried to make change. I have publicly used my name and not been afraid to sign it. I don't hide behind a pen name. I have tried to educate the public and our elected officials.
Bill

Overland Park, KS

#18 Aug 4, 2010
Sherri Tucker wrote:
<quoted text>
My life sucks because those in charge don't do their jobs and those that don't know the truth chatise those that do. I know of many children that have done well in Lee's Summit. They are gifted and make the district look good.
Have you checked the MAP scores? Lee's Summit has been failing black children, poor children, and special education for many years. They are under corrective action because of it. Don't be fooled by false press reports. Research and find out the truth.
I have tried to make change. I have publicly used my name and not been afraid to sign it. I don't hide behind a pen name. I have tried to educate the public and our elected officials.
"Black children, poor children and special education" Which represent what percent of the student population in LSSD, 2-5%? Like I said, you should have defected to KCMO school district, these classifications represent about 70% of the student population. They have more experience. They average about 45% graduation rates also by the way.

I suppose we are all responsible for the parents that can't make their contribution at home and we need to pay more in taxes for for the one on one these students require.

Poor few!
Sherri

Overland Park, KS

#19 Aug 4, 2010
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
"Black children, poor children and special education" Which represent what percent of the student population in LSSD, 2-5%? Like I said, you should have defected to KCMO school district, these classifications represent about 70% of the student population. They have more experience. They average about 45% graduation rates also by the way.
I suppose we are all responsible for the parents that can't make their contribution at home and we need to pay more in taxes for for the one on one these students require.
Poor few!
How sad that you see these children as the problem and that they are hardly worth the effort. Your sentiments are exactly the reason that these children are being left behind. Perhaps you should move to Lee's Summit and pay the high taxes for swimming pools and astro turf. It sounds as though it would be a perfect fit.
Concerned

Independence, MO

#20 May 27, 2011
To say that the LSSD is failing children who are poor, or black, or special needs is to tell them that they can't excel BEACAUSE they are poor, or black, or have special needs. I'm sorry that you're teaching these children by your words that they have a convenient scapegoat to blame their failures on, instead of teaching them hard work and accountability. Which of those two lessons do you think will take them further in life?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lees Summit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman: ' - Raytown Romeo' conned me out of $9K ... (Apr '14) Mon Dating2 225
Stolen cellphone at wendys Mon Tania 1
Review: Asset Auto Sales (Feb '15) Apr 4 AssetAuto 2
The Greenwood Police Department (Oct '11) Apr 3 chic 4
News Charges filed in Jackson County slaying (Dec '08) Mar '16 Breeanna 16
News Two People Charged In Shooting Murder (Nov '09) Mar '16 Robert Lawrence 124
Where do you get laid here?? (Mar '14) Mar '16 Big Ole Dick 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lees Summit Mortgages