Mercy and LLSC
Cause I can

Lebanon, VA

#1 Sep 30, 2009
Which do you think is a better emergency service?
near voice of reason

Roanoke, VA

#2 Sep 30, 2009
Lebanon is the only true 911 system. Mercy is a for-profit company. They do respond to emergencies if called directly. I personally don't think either of them provide the best care you can receive in Lebanon but everyone has their own opinion and most people are biased for one reason or another.
hosp professional

Radford, VA

#3 Oct 5, 2010
So how are you biased? Mercy is a profit company but what most people do not know is that LLSC also bills. As far as choosing, my vote would be for Mercy Ambulance or Abingdon. I know for a fact that Mercy maintains a high standard, keeps up on their employee training, has clean, well stocked trucks and are professional looking. I would imagine this to be true for Abingdon as well. My only concern is to keep businesses running in their own counties. I think this is one of those question/comments where it would be a personal choice. As a concerned citizen it worries me about always seeing LLSC units running around town on the tax payers money...LLSC bills the patients and also receives funds from federal, state, and local funds. At least with private ambulances, when you see them out in company vehicles you know the money is coming out of the company and not the tax payers money. As far as I am concerned I would choose Mercy Ambulance and Abingdon Ambulance. Sorry for the rest, you are not on my preference list!!!!!!!
near voice of reason

Mount Morris, MI

#4 Oct 6, 2010
Very well stated hosp professional. If you noticed from my post over a year ago I said that I didn't think either of those agencies provided the best level of care you could get. No one had mentioned abingdon ambulance till your post. You might be on to something there.
Chuck

Lebanon, VA

#5 Oct 6, 2010
hosp professional wrote:
So how are you biased? Mercy is a profit company but what most people do not know is that LLSC also bills. As far as choosing, my vote would be for Mercy Ambulance or Abingdon. I know for a fact that Mercy maintains a high standard, keeps up on their employee training, has clean, well stocked trucks and are professional looking. I would imagine this to be true for Abingdon as well. My only concern is to keep businesses running in their own counties. I think this is one of those question/comments where it would be a personal choice. As a concerned citizen it worries me about always seeing LLSC units running around town on the tax payers money...LLSC bills the patients and also receives funds from federal, state, and local funds. At least with private ambulances, when you see them out in company vehicles you know the money is coming out of the company and not the tax payers money. As far as I am concerned I would choose Mercy Ambulance and Abingdon Ambulance. Sorry for the rest, you are not on my preference list!!!!!!!
Where do you think the money comes from to fund Medicare and Medicaid?? The tax payers!! Where do you think some of the money comes from to pay ambulance trips that Mercy, Abingdon Ambulance, etc. provides?? Medicare and Medicaid!!! Sure, part of their income also comes from private insurance. Of course, this is a big reason why LLSC is still operating just the same as ALL of the amubulance services. So, don't just single out LLSC saying they get insurance money and tax payers money. The ambulance services do, too!!! If some of the local squads didn't get tax payer's money AND insurance money they couldn't survive and be able to provide the level of care that's needed-PERIOD!!!
outoftowner

Radford, VA

#6 Oct 10, 2010
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you think the money comes from to fund Medicare and Medicaid?? The tax payers!! Where do you think some of the money comes from to pay ambulance trips that Mercy, Abingdon Ambulance, etc. provides?? Medicare and Medicaid!!! Sure, part of their income also comes from private insurance. Of course, this is a big reason why LLSC is still operating just the same as ALL of the amubulance services. So, don't just single out LLSC saying they get insurance money and tax payers money. The ambulance services do, too!!! If some of the local squads didn't get tax payer's money AND insurance money they couldn't survive and be able to provide the level of care that's needed-PERIOD!!!
OH poor little you. Did someone step on yor toes???? Sorry, but I happen to know the business much better than you, having owned an ambulance service in another state for many years. People know very well that ambulance services bill insurance companies, which include Medicare and Medicaid. BUT private services do not have the luxury to ask for or to apply for Federal and State grants or as some services do, stand on the side of the road and ask for money, which is one of many ways to receive extra funds. We know not all rescue squads bill the patient. I applaud them. For when they are available, and have the proper level of training on board, this is very beneficial to the patient who can not afford health insurance! There should be more of them. People in your community need and deserve this. As long as there are private services and county rescue squads people will have a preference. Just as they do doctors or hospitals, oil companies, teachers, politicians, ect. We all must do our homework and choose wisely. Check the level of trainings, newest of equipment, and lets not forget to investigate if medications have ever been missing from thier lock boxes??? Oh well, I will quit writing so you can stick your lip back in your mouth!
Chuck

Lebanon, VA

#7 Oct 11, 2010
Hmmm, looks like we agree with each other if you'll read my post and yours. No need for me to pout or stick my lip out. I'm not upset nor did anyone step on my toes. Just pointing out the obvious. I will say that if the local squads didn't receive federal and state grants it would be VERY difficult for them to provide the service that they do. Thanks for your post. Hopefully, folks will learn something from it.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#8 Nov 18, 2010
Call Lebanon Life Saving Crew or Abingdon Ambulance from now on. Check the MERCY topic thread to find out why.
Medic-man07

Lebanon, VA

#9 Nov 19, 2010
just a suggestion why doesnt the county consolidate the ems squads do away with the three alerts for chest pain and have paid well trained providers instead of llsc running all of the back up for these basic providers ... volunteering is honorable and appreciated but if your having an MI do you really wanna wait for some good ole boy to roll out of bed ... i applaud llsc for atleast trying to maintain a 24 ems crew at all times.
missy

Bay City, MI

#10 Nov 21, 2010
Medic-man07 wrote:
just a suggestion why doesnt the county consolidate the ems squads do away with the three alerts for chest pain and have paid well trained providers instead of llsc running all of the back up for these basic providers ... volunteering is honorable and appreciated but if your having an MI do you really wanna wait for some good ole boy to roll out of bed ... i applaud llsc for atleast trying to maintain a 24 ems crew at all times.
Thanks for the "good ole boy" statement, being that my husband is a volunteer and is over qualified for the job he has actually saved alot of lives thank you! He doesnt have to do it it is just something in his spare time that he enjoys. He has a full time job elsewhere. Hopefully you won't have an MI as you say!

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#11 Nov 27, 2010
Non-Profit medical service is impossible in today's society. Cleveland may still do it, but they're piss poor and barely run any calls. Good ol boy EMS has been killing people for years, not saving lives.
medicman07

Lebanon, VA

#12 Nov 29, 2010
amen! "as you were"... and to "missy" i am an NREMT-P and i am a volunteer liutenant at a squad so hopefully i can manage my MI and its good you husband volunteers but its total bs to have to wait up to 15 mins for an ambulance to even be enroute get there have a bls crew so theres another 15 mins for an als crew theres no way you can justify a volunteer service other than its free its old outdated and is dangerous for the citizens of russell county.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#13 Dec 1, 2010
medicman07 wrote:
amen! "as you were"... and to "missy" i am an NREMT-P and i am a volunteer liutenant at a squad so hopefully i can manage my MI and its good you husband volunteers but its total bs to have to wait up to 15 mins for an ambulance to even be enroute get there have a bls crew so theres another 15 mins for an als crew theres no way you can justify a volunteer service other than its free its old outdated and is dangerous for the citizens of russell county.
Russell County is setting themselves up for a big lawsuit. First off for instance if there was a patient at Food City in Lebanon having an MI and all of LLSCs units were tied up on other calls Dispatch would alert Cleveland who will more than likely send a BLS crew when Mercy or even Abingdon Ambulance Service would most likely have an ALS crew standing by but dispatch refuses to turn over any 911 calls to the ambulance services. I hope somebody sues their A#$es off when a relative dies because of delay in service.

My understanding of EMS is that if a primary agency cannot respond then the next CLOSEST agency was supposed to be notified to run the call, not the next closest volunteer agency.
cato

United States

#15 Dec 1, 2010
Who cares what you think.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#16 Dec 2, 2010
cato wrote:
Who cares what you think.
Who pissed in your Wheeties!!
As You Were

Bristol, VA

#17 Dec 3, 2010
RNEMTI is right. Dispatch is one of the biggest problems. I've seen them refuse to call a paid service, even when their are no LLSC units available. They'll send another volunteer squad that's over 20 minutes away. If a member of my family was having a medical emergency, I would want the closest agency there ASAP. There is so much politics involved in this from dispatch down to the services themselves. Ultimately, the patients are the ones suffering. That point seems to be getting lost in all of this discussion. I truly hope that one day the county gets a major lawsuit because dispatch played their favoritism games and it cost a life. It will end up saving more lives in the long run if they are forced to actually act like dispatchers.

So let's all work together and get them to RCMC where they'll let em die anyhow.
GOOD TIME CHARLEY

Port Republic, VA

#18 Dec 13, 2012
hosp professional wrote:
So how are you biased? Mercy is a profit company but what most people do not know is that LLSC also bills. As far as choosing, my vote would be for Mercy Ambulance or Abingdon. I know for a fact that Mercy maintains a high standard, keeps up on their employee training, has clean, well stocked trucks and are professional looking. I would imagine this to be true for Abingdon as well. My only concern is to keep businesses running in their own counties. I think this is one of those question/comments where it would be a personal choice. As a concerned citizen it worries me about always seeing LLSC units running around town on the tax payers money...LLSC bills the patients and also receives funds from federal, state, and local funds. At least with private ambulances, when you see them out in company vehicles you know the money is coming out of the company and not the tax payers money. As far as I am concerned I would choose Mercy Ambulance and Abingdon Ambulance. Sorry for the rest, you are not on my preference list!!!!!!!
THIS SOUNDS LIKE A TRIAD TALKING GOOD WAY TO PUSH THE PR

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#19 Dec 14, 2012
The difference in billing between Private Agencies and "Volunteer" agencies is how they bill. LLSC promotes what is called Soft Billing where they bill your insurance and whatever the insurance pays is what they accept. Yes they will send you a bill but if you are unable to pay it then it is written off and you are not held accountable for it. However with the private services such as Mercy they do what is called Hard Billing where you are held accountable for the bill and they will send you to collections and take you to court to get their money.
concerned

Vinton, VA

#20 Dec 31, 2012
medicman1977 wrote:
The difference in billing between Private Agencies and "Volunteer" agencies is how they bill. LLSC promotes what is called Soft Billing where they bill your insurance and whatever the insurance pays is what they accept. Yes they will send you a bill but if you are unable to pay it then it is written off and you are not held accountable for it. However with the private services such as Mercy they do what is called Hard Billing where you are held accountable for the bill and they will send you to collections and take you to court to get their money.
Well for one people need to get their story straight.LLSC doesn't always have an als crew anymore and second they have been only having bls crew.Haven't you noticed that most of their members have left.2 of their members have felony charges and they were paremedics that provided als service.They have very bad attitudes and most of the time they are only worried about making the other ambulace services look bad and not worried about their patients.I have had them pick up a family member of mine and never again will 911 be called i will call Abingdon myself.LLSC has bad attitude.Yes they do bill and they are smartasses when trying to collect almost a $1500 bill from me tell me how they came up with me owing them that much money for a 5 minute trip to the hospital.Somebody needs to report them to medicaid and to medicare for giving patients an iv when they don't need it just so they can bill als instead of bls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris Music 7 hr Curious 1
Dr Bailey (Jul '14) 8 hr Unknown 22
Dime Store Cowboy 9 hr Jigalo 2
Rocky ball 10 hr In the know 7
Rhonda Brown 14 hr Badden 13
Cody Blackwell (Jan '17) Mon baby momma 7
Outlaw MC Aug 14 big Johnson 5

Lebanon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lebanon Mortgages