Walmart 12/24 Closing Time

Walmart 12/24 Closing Time

Posted in the Lebanon Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wow

Lebanon, VA

#1 Dec 24, 2010
Early this evening, we came home to discover that we'd lost a bunch of food that we were going to cook for our traditional Christmas Day meal.

It was around 7:30 PM, and we understood from an earlier visit that Walmart was closing at 8:00 PM. I arrived at Walmart at 7:40 PM, only to discover that 2 employees were blocking the entrance with 2 shopping carts. I tried to walk in, but they refused entry stating that "the checkout line was 30 minutes and they couldn't let anyone in the store". I briefly explained that I needed 3 minutes in the grocery section due to my "emergency". Nothing. I asked what time Food City was closed, and they confirmed that it had been 6 PM. I have a hard time believing the 30-minute checkout time (but cannot confirm), as the parking lot was relatively empty by that time.

I am a frequent shopper of this store, but I am very disappointed here. No customer service or compassion was displayed, and the 8 PM closing time was basically false advertising in my opinion. If we closed down at work even 5 minutes before our end-of-shift, I'd be fired. I understand the employees' wanting to go to their families- I would too. But as a business, this should NOT impact the customer experience in any way. Adjust schedules a bit, find out who is willing to work that extra 30 minutes for people that do make their way in close to closing time.

I have taken the steps of contacting corporate/store management through the website. Who knows if that will be heard, or fall on deaf ears. I just wondered if anyone else ran across this tonight.

We'll make do somehow for food tomorrow, but it won't be the same. Walmart really had an opportunity to be a hero- instead, they made my day just a little worse.

Regardless of my bad experience... I hope everyone is having a great Christmas!!
Wow

Lebanon, VA

#2 Dec 24, 2010
To whomever marked my post "incendiary and nuts"- As God is my witness, this is the complete and honest truth. I didn't post this to rip on Walmart or cause a stir- simply post my experience. That's all. I'd love to know the logic behind these markings.

I shall follow up here if/when I get a response from my complaint with Walmart. Again, have a great Christmas.
No Winning

Roanoke, VA

#3 Dec 24, 2010
I was in Wal-Mart today as well, and when the cashier told me they would be open to 8pm I said you have to be kidding me. I told her you will not get out of here until 9 to 9:30pm. I'm glad to see they locked the doors at 7:30 they should have been locked at 6:00 so employees could be home with their families on Christmas Eve. I worked retail for a number of years and know how hard they work. When you work retail there is NO WINNING customers are NEVER happy not matter were you work Wal-Mart, Food City, Save-a-Lot, or Target.

Sorry that you lost all your food, and hope you have a Merry Christmas.
Wow

Lebanon, VA

#4 Dec 24, 2010
No Winning wrote:
I was in Wal-Mart today as well, and when the cashier told me they would be open to 8pm I said you have to be kidding me. I told her you will not get out of here until 9 to 9:30pm. I'm glad to see they locked the doors at 7:30 they should have been locked at 6:00 so employees could be home with their families on Christmas Eve. I worked retail for a number of years and know how hard they work. When you work retail there is NO WINNING customers are NEVER happy not matter were you work Wal-Mart, Food City, Save-a-Lot, or Target.
Sorry that you lost all your food, and hope you have a Merry Christmas.
Agreed. I hope they all got to spend some time tonight with their families. Just wish they would have set the expectation more accurately :). I've been a loyal customer and generally happy with the store for years. I suppose this one instance isn't going to ruin the big picture.

Merry Christmas to you too.. We'll probably end up going out somewhere tomorrow, as Ramen Noodles or Mac+Cheese just won't cut it for Christmas..LOL.
lol

Abingdon, VA

#5 Dec 24, 2010
Wow wrote:
Early this evening, we came home to discover that we'd lost a bunch of food that we were going to cook for our traditional Christmas Day meal.
It was around 7:30 PM, and we understood from an earlier visit that Walmart was closing at 8:00 PM. I arrived at Walmart at 7:40 PM, only to discover that 2 employees were blocking the entrance with 2 shopping carts. I tried to walk in, but they refused entry stating that "the checkout line was 30 minutes and they couldn't let anyone in the store". I briefly explained that I needed 3 minutes in the grocery section due to my "emergency". Nothing. I asked what time Food City was closed, and they confirmed that it had been 6 PM. I have a hard time believing the 30-minute checkout time (but cannot confirm), as the parking lot was relatively empty by that time.
I am a frequent shopper of this store, but I am very disappointed here. No customer service or compassion was displayed, and the 8 PM closing time was basically false advertising in my opinion. If we closed down at work even 5 minutes before our end-of-shift, I'd be fired. I understand the employees' wanting to go to their families- I would too. But as a business, this should NOT impact the customer experience in any way. Adjust schedules a bit, find out who is willing to work that extra 30 minutes for people that do make their way in close to closing time.
I have taken the steps of contacting corporate/store management through the website. Who knows if that will be heard, or fall on deaf ears. I just wondered if anyone else ran across this tonight.
We'll make do somehow for food tomorrow, but it won't be the same. Walmart really had an opportunity to be a hero- instead, they made my day just a little worse.
Regardless of my bad experience... I hope everyone is having a great Christmas!!
you are an idiot

always somebody elses fault huh?
Wow

Lebanon, VA

#6 Dec 24, 2010
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
you are an idiot
always somebody elses fault huh?
Yeah. Great to come home to a broken compressor in the freezer. Should have had an "extra on hand", I suppose. You made your point VERY WELL!! Thanks for being logical or open-minded. Merry Christmas.
lol at you

Waterloo, Canada

#7 Dec 24, 2010
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
you are an idiot
always somebody elses fault huh?
Leave it to a piece of trash to write something so dumb. Some of us are still ok out there, happy holidays and sorry for your trouble

Since: May 10

Winchester, KY

#8 Dec 25, 2010
You are a selfish, self centered, scum bag. Walmart is open 24/7 for 364 days a year. Your lack of planning for yourself does not constitute an emergency for Walmart. Those people have worked themselves to death for their customers this year and deserve time with their families. They deserve to be at home before 9 oclock. I am glad you got turned away and I hope it teaches you a lesson on personal responsibility. The employees can't take a chance on you dragging along through the store and then not being gone when the store closes at 8.

"No customer service or compassion was displayed" how about compassion for the employees and their families.

"Adjust schedules a bit, find out who is willing to work that extra 30 minutes for people that do make their way in close to closing time." How ridiculous. You expect other people to sacrifice their families because you "knew from an earlier visit" that they closed at 8 and procrastinated.

"I understand the employees' wanting to go to their families- I would too. But as a business, this should NOT impact the customer experience in any way." Yes, it damn well should impact customer experience because there shouldn't be any customers in the store trying to shaft them out of their own Christmas experience.

I hope your Christmas is terrible.
callem like i c em

United States

#9 Dec 25, 2010
Wow wrote:
Early this evening, we came home to discover that we'd lost a bunch of food that we were going to cook for our traditional Christmas Day meal.
It was around 7:30 PM, and we understood from an earlier visit that Walmart was closing at 8:00 PM. I arrived at Walmart at 7:40 PM, only to discover that 2 employees were blocking the entrance with 2 shopping carts. I tried to walk in, but they refused entry stating that "the checkout line was 30 minutes and they couldn't let anyone in the store". I briefly explained that I needed 3 minutes in the grocery section due to my "emergency". Nothing. I asked what time Food City was closed, and they confirmed that it had been 6 PM. I have a hard time believing the 30-minute checkout time (but cannot confirm), as the parking lot was relatively empty by that time.
I am a frequent shopper of this store, but I am very disappointed here. No customer service or compassion was displayed, and the 8 PM closing time was basically false advertising in my opinion. If we closed down at work even 5 minutes before our end-of-shift, I'd be fired. I understand the employees' wanting to go to their families- I would too. But as a business, this should NOT impact the customer experience in any way. Adjust schedules a bit, find out who is willing to work that extra 30 minutes for people that do make their way in close to closing time.
I have taken the steps of contacting corporate/store management through the website. Who knows if that will be heard, or fall on deaf ears. I just wondered if anyone else ran across this tonight.
We'll make do somehow for food tomorrow, but it won't be the same. Walmart really had an opportunity to be a hero- instead, they made my day just a little worse.
Regardless of my bad experience... I hope everyone is having a great Christmas!!
sorry for ur trouble....if I had known earlier I wouldve gave u our turkey. Hope u still have a nice day
callem like i c em

United States

#10 Dec 25, 2010
Seriously N0w wrote:
You are a selfish, self centered, scum bag. Walmart is open 24/7 for 364 days a year. Your lack of planning for yourself does not constitute an emergency for Walmart. Those people have worked themselves to death for their customers this year and deserve time with their families. They deserve to be at home before 9 oclock. I am glad you got turned away and I hope it teaches you a lesson on personal responsibility. The employees can't take a chance on you dragging along through the store and then not being gone when the store closes at 8.
"No customer service or compassion was displayed" how about compassion for the employees and their families.
"Adjust schedules a bit, find out who is willing to work that extra 30 minutes for people that do make their way in close to closing time." How ridiculous. You expect other people to sacrifice their families because you "knew from an earlier visit" that they closed at 8 and procrastinated.
"I understand the employees' wanting to go to their families- I would too. But as a business, this should NOT impact the customer experience in any way." Yes, it damn well should impact customer experience because there shouldn't be any customers in the store trying to shaft them out of their own Christmas experience.
I hope your Christmas is terrible.
I understand what ur saying but then u had to go n b Rude.....that was uncalled 4. Would u want ur Christmas 2 b bad just bcuz u had some unexpected bad luck

Since: May 10

Winchester, KY

#11 Dec 25, 2010
If I expected 50 people to sacrifice their xmas with their families to suit my selfish needs....yes, I would expect karma to hand deliver a horrible xmas to me.
Cute

Lebanon, VA

#12 Dec 25, 2010
All I can say is that you need a prayer or two. What a despicable, miserable, sorry response to wish this upon someone and talk like this on Christmas. The poster clearly said his freezer stopped up and never said anything bad about anyone. I'd be in their position too and could not plan for this. Since you're so smart, how would you work around your freezer breaking down? Please tell. In fact I'd be up a creek right now, as my wife just got laid off. Plus, you said something about planning ahead. They said they got home at 7:30 and were at the store at 7:45 and the discovery. That's not waiting til 7:55 or 8:00 PM. Not the same thing at all.
And I agree about compassion. This is a business. People CHOOSE to work there. Customer service is a big part of a successful business.
Some people make me sick. No reason for raised blood pressure on Christmas though.
Seriously N0w wrote:
You are a selfish, self centered, scum bag. Walmart is open 24/7 for 364 days a year. Your lack of planning for yourself does not constitute an emergency for Walmart. Those people have worked themselves to death for their customers this year and deserve time with their families. They deserve to be at home before 9 oclock. I am glad you got turned away and I hope it teaches you a lesson on personal responsibility. The employees can't take a chance on you dragging along through the store and then not being gone when the store closes at 8.
"No customer service or compassion was displayed" how about compassion for the employees and their families.
"Adjust schedules a bit, find out who is willing to work that extra 30 minutes for people that do make their way in close to closing time." How ridiculous. You expect other people to sacrifice their families because you "knew from an earlier visit" that they closed at 8 and procrastinated.
"I understand the employees' wanting to go to their families- I would too. But as a business, this should NOT impact the customer experience in any way." Yes, it damn well should impact customer experience because there shouldn't be any customers in the store trying to shaft them out of their own Christmas experience.
I hope your Christmas is terrible.
Cute

Lebanon, VA

#13 Dec 25, 2010
Seriously N0w wrote:
If I expected 50 people to sacrifice their xmas with their families to suit my selfish needs....yes, I would expect karma to hand deliver a horrible xmas to me.
You made my point perfectly, with your very own words. I cannot consider their need for food on Christmas to be a "selfish need".
oh my

Waterloo, Canada

#14 Dec 25, 2010
Seriously N0w wrote:
You are a selfish, self centered, scum bag. Walmart is open 24/7 for 364 days a year. Your lack of planning for yourself does not constitute an emergency for Walmart. Those people have worked themselves to death for their customers this year and deserve time with their families. They deserve to be at home before 9 oclock. I am glad you got turned away and I hope it teaches you a lesson on personal responsibility. The employees can't take a chance on you dragging along through the store and then not being gone when the store closes at 8.
"No customer service or compassion was displayed" how about compassion for the employees and their families.
"Adjust schedules a bit, find out who is willing to work that extra 30 minutes for people that do make their way in close to closing time." How ridiculous. You expect other people to sacrifice their families because you "knew from an earlier visit" that they closed at 8 and procrastinated.
"I understand the employees' wanting to go to their families- I would too. But as a business, this should NOT impact the customer experience in any way." Yes, it damn well should impact customer experience because there shouldn't be any customers in the store trying to shaft them out of their own Christmas experience.
I hope your Christmas is terrible.
Wtf is wrong with you?
helpful citizen

Lebanon, VA

#15 Dec 25, 2010
Hey, I have some extra food. I was getting ready to fix my family some pork-chops.. they are boneless and I had food city cut a tenderloin and I came home and put them in Freezer bags. You are more than welcome to some. I know it isn't much, but it beats mac-n-cheese and ramen noodles. I am not doing my Feast until next Sunday, so just let me know.. I can meet you somewhere.. I do not mind at all. They are still frozen.
Autumn

AOL

#16 Dec 25, 2010
To helpful citizen, it does my heart good to know that there are people like you still around these days, MERRY CHRISTMAS.
helpful citizen

Lebanon, VA

#17 Dec 25, 2010
Thank you. Karma is a wonderful thing, I am a FIRM believer. We are truly blessed and I don't mind to help those who need it and will use it.. I know if I had lost everything in my freezers I'd be TOTALLY lost.. It makes me feel good to know that I could help someone, that will appreciate it. Doesn't matter what time of year.. but ESPECIALLY Christmas..
Wow

Lebanon, VA

#18 Dec 25, 2010
First, I'd like say thank you to a couple of you. Especially, "helpful citizen". That was too kind! God bless you for your generosity. A little creativity with the crock pot, canned food and noodles eventually saved the day. My brother in law is good with freezers, and we ordered the replacement parts online with his help. I even learned a thing or two about how they work, so that's a positive. I'd still like to know how my freezer breaking constitutes a lack of planning..LOL. I laughed when I read that. I always plan ahead, and spent good money over a week ago in preparation. Fortunately, I'd planned ahead without even knowing when I stocked up on canned food recently. But, my supply of spare freezer compressors was a bit short..my bad :)
I'm not sure what to make of the hateful comment or two, but as the "cute" poster said, maybe a prayer or two your way is in order.
I want you to know that I harbor no ill feelings toward Walmart or their employees (or even the posters with negative opinions), and am less frustrated about the situation than I was last night even.
Hope everyone else is having a great Christmas as well. God Bless.
helpful citizen

Lebanon, VA

#19 Dec 25, 2010
You are more than welcome and I am glad that you was able to save the day.. Crock pots are wonderful aren't they.. As to the "scrooges" out there.. well they will never go away..but as long as there are some of us that try to understand and imagine what it would be like to be in that situation.. everything will work out.. and I truly hope that Karma doesn't bite them in the butt for saying those mean things to you.. That was so disrespectful and rude.. but that is life.

We are having a very Merry CHRISTmas and are very blessed with health, warmth and a white Christmas.. God Bless you too!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#20 Dec 26, 2010
Wow wrote:
Early this evening, we came home to discover that we'd lost a bunch of food that we were going to cook for our traditional Christmas Day meal.
It was around 7:30 PM, and we understood from an earlier visit that Walmart was closing at 8:00 PM. I arrived at Walmart at 7:40 PM, only to discover that 2 employees were blocking the entrance with 2 shopping carts. I tried to walk in, but they refused entry stating that "the checkout line was 30 minutes and they couldn't let anyone in the store". I briefly explained that I needed 3 minutes in the grocery section due to my "emergency". Nothing. I asked what time Food City was closed, and they confirmed that it had been 6 PM. I have a hard time believing the 30-minute checkout time (but cannot confirm), as the parking lot was relatively empty by that time.
I am a frequent shopper of this store, but I am very disappointed here. No customer service or compassion was displayed, and the 8 PM closing time was basically false advertising in my opinion. If we closed down at work even 5 minutes before our end-of-shift, I'd be fired. I understand the employees' wanting to go to their families- I would too. But as a business, this should NOT impact the customer experience in any way. Adjust schedules a bit, find out who is willing to work that extra 30 minutes for people that do make their way in close to closing time.
I have taken the steps of contacting corporate/store management through the website. Who knows if that will be heard, or fall on deaf ears. I just wondered if anyone else ran across this tonight.
We'll make do somehow for food tomorrow, but it won't be the same. Walmart really had an opportunity to be a hero- instead, they made my day just a little worse.
Regardless of my bad experience... I hope everyone is having a great Christmas!!
That is what every last minute shopper says. What makes you better than the person that forgot to get someone in their family a gift? Next time check before hand on the items you need. I am sure those people didnt even get to leave at 8pm. It was probably 8:30 or 9 because people kept insisting on shopping at the last minute.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jay Lewis of Mercy Ambulance 13 hr Tony 1
Court question Fri Stacy 7
carneda ramsey Thu Never again stank... 13
Russell Medical Center (Sep '14) Thu marie 28 45
Congratulations Coach Thu proud fan 2
Sex offenders among us Jul 25 gravytrain 4
ben giles (Oct '10) Jul 23 Brody 15

Lebanon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lebanon Mortgages