Honaker, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

Well, I remember when there was no light there! Everything worked and went fine then. Granted you have more traffic today, but I think its just stupidity in this instance!! In drivers ed, I know that you are taught to look TWICE!! We were! If you do it, it becomes second nature. The driver pulling out of Wendy's didn't look, that is the whole deal! It was their fault. When you fail to yield, you will eventually get hit! I hope all parties involved in the wreck are doing well and are recovering! But maybe this should be a lesson learned, You can't always rely on the light to tell you anything, Even in working order, ALWAYS LOOK!!!!!!!
Brenda Ball

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

union wrote:
It shouldn't be our job to practice awesome driving skills in the middle of town. It has been over a week. That light should have been fixed. Now..if I had been in that nice little wreck.. The town would be getting sued. They have had plenty of time to fix the light. and I don't care about " the package hasn't been delivered yet ewwwwww!!!!" Bitch my Amazon crap don't take this long. Last time I checked drivers Ed class now, 10 yrs ago , 30 years ago .. Never taught any one what to do when the place you live in has a broken stop light and never gets it fixed!
EXCUSE ME, but the last time I checked with the Commonwealth of Virginia's drivers manual...it is up to EACH and EVERY one of us with a driver's license to PRACTICE AWESOME driving, whether it be in town, on the highway, or on the back roads. If we aren't able to maneuver in a town with a downed red light, then I don't think we have any business holding a valid VA driver's license. It is very easy to throw the blame around, but as I said, I live right across from the accident scene and I KNOW the number of times that the town has been out in an attempt to fix the light. To be very honest, I've never understood all the red lights in the town of Lebanon anyway--when there are are only TWO that are really need--(Walmart and the one across from the courthouse are NEEDED, I agree). The rest simply tie traffic up and believe me, living where I do, I've seen more accidents "almost happen" as a result of the Wendy's red light being ON than when it is off. More than once I've wondered if an eighteen wheeler is going to come through my living room as they "jake-brake" to try to stop for that light! People fly down this stretch of Main Street...and I think I am qualified to know, since I see it happening, and hear brakes squeeling, every day from my picture window! If this is the only "excuse" one has, blaming the town for the red-light issue, when it is obvious that they are trying everything within their power to fix it (and YES they are out there at least once or twice a week) then it's a weak one. Try living right across from the accident scene, and seeing what I see every day with the LIGHT ON...and then you might have a different opinion!!!!!!!
Agree

Blue Ridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

Seriously, I think the light is better being off. People screw up and don't pay attention while driving and they wreck. What did people do before red lights? They drove like they had some sense. I think the ones bitching about the light are the ones who obviously cannot drive because they freak out when a red light is out. I drive through it at least 6 times a day if not more and have no issues coming out of Wendy's or driving by with a broken light. If people are gonna bitch about people and how they drive at red lights, sit on the corner at the red light at Kegley's. See how many morons run the red light there. Quit bitching and take driver's ed again, or better yet teach your children that texting and driving is bad. That would help more than anything.
Awesum

Lebanon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

It's not the towns job to make sure you follow the lights. Flashing yellow means yield. Genius.
Brenda Ball

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

What happens when hypothetically speaking--someday (God forbid)-- the entire power grid of this area of the country goes down and there are NO traffic lights are working in town? Will everyone just stop driving, or will the exercise caution and continue about their business? It is up to us to exercise caution, courtesy and common sense as we drive--no matter the conditions. This accident was devastating, and my heart goes out to each and every one affected (and I am praying that they will all recover)--but to blame the town is simply grasping for straws. Perhaps this should be an indicator to the Driver's Ed courses that more emphasis should be placed on common sense and practicality. Obviously, if it is being taught, it isn't being emphasized as it should be. Simply having a driver's license does not make one an expert, nor does it make us invinsible. With that license should come the ability to judge situations with clear thought and more than anything else, concern and responsibility for the passengers we carry (as well as others on the road). I know I am much older than most posting on this forum, but I was taught that driving was a PRIVILEGE. I still feel that way about it. This whole "red light" issue is taking away from the REAL problem, which is obviously that cars are not equipped with AUTO-PILOT, and in MANY instances in driving, good old common sense applies!
Really

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

union wrote:
It shouldn't be our job to practice awesome driving skills in the middle of town. It has been over a week. That light should have been fixed. Now..if I had been in that nice little wreck.. The town would be getting sued. They have had plenty of time to fix the light. and I don't care about " the package hasn't been delivered yet ewwwwww!!!!" Bitch my Amazon crap don't take this long. Last time I checked drivers Ed class now, 10 yrs ago , 30 years ago .. Never taught any one what to do when the place you live in has a broken stop light and never gets it fixed!
Ha ha, did you ever consider that maybe this very complicated part of electrical equipment may be a little bit harder to get built or replaced that your "crap" on amazon?? haha and you've got to be kidding me if you need to take a drivers ed class to know to slow down at big flashing yellow lights.. And stop at any red light, flashing or not.. I hope the people involved in the wreck end up being alright, but theres no way of suing a town because of improper driving.
union

Mooresboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

Yellow light means gun it. Red light means go if you don't see any cops. I will continue to be a great citizen and follow those rules until the TOWN gets the TOWNS red light fixed.
Brenda Ball

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

union wrote:
Yellow light means gun it. Red light means go if you don't see any cops. I will continue to be a great citizen and follow those rules until the TOWN gets the TOWNS red light fixed.
Well, if this is the logic you use, then I won't be a bit surprised when I read in the paper that you've been involved in a wreck, as well. And I think I speak for a good majority here, we can all hope that there will be a "cop" hiding behind a bush somewhere that will catch you in the act, pull you over and put an end to your bad driving practices/driving days once and for all. It is attitudes like YOURS that give GOOD DRIVERS a bad name!
Brenda Ball

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

union wrote:
And by the way, I DO HOPE that your spouting here is JUST to get attention...and that you have more sense in real life than you portray by this post. SURELY NO ONE can be this brainless!
jgF

Christiansburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Have they fixed the light yet
union

Mooresboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

I hope a cop is hiding behind a bush too .. Just means when I fly through those lights he won't be able to catch me... Grew won't be in his car cause it wouldn't for behind the bush!
wow
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

To who ever thinks texting was the reason for the wreck you are ridiculous. If the light was working I am 100% positive the wreck would have never happened.
Idea

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

out of town wrote:
<quoted text> do you know RED&YELLOW look at driving book
Did you read my post? You plan for the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR :) I'm well aware of how to drive. Yet twice now I was approaching the intersection via main street and someone from the direction of the gov buildings pulled right on out in front of me.

Since: Aug 12

Lebanon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, because there's NEVER accidents at any working traffic lights.....
wow
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

When you have to wait for a green arrow there's not.
Sense

Newport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Judged:

wow wrote:
To who ever thinks texting was the reason for the wreck you are ridiculous. If the light was working I am 100% positive the wreck would have never happened.
. I am 100% positive that if the driver coming from highlands drive would have used caution when approaching the intersection it wouldn't have happened either....blame the town all u want but they can't be sued over this accident....even tho it was flashing, in the state of Virginia it is still considered a operating traffic light....why would it be considered that??? The law expects us drivers to use a little bit of common sense...
Brenda Ball

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

union wrote:
I hope a cop is hiding behind a bush too .. Just means when I fly through those lights he won't be able to catch me... Grew won't be in his car cause it wouldn't for behind the bush!
?????????? TOTALLY lost me on the last part of your reply "union"....but oh, please be my guest, and if this is the way you drive...have at it! The sooner you lose your license the better off others on the road will be! My biggest fear is that YOU will be the cause of another innocent person losing their life before they catch you! If you are so brave about your driving habits, why not post your real name...that way they can be on the lookout for you. I thought not...a BUNCH OF HOT AIR...that is what your posts add up to!
Brenda Ball

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

Sense wrote:
<quoted text>. I am 100% positive that if the driver coming from highlands drive would have used caution when approaching the intersection it wouldn't have happened either....blame the town all u want but they can't be sued over this accident....even tho it was flashing, in the state of Virginia it is still considered a operating traffic light....why would it be considered that??? The law expects us drivers to use a little bit of common sense...
I totally agree, "Sense". There are VIRGINIA LAWS that govern flashing traffic lights--which may be found at

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe...

Why would the law provide these laws IF the lights weren't considered operational? You are so right--a little common sense goes a LONG WAY! Great post!
union

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

I bet the car and the truck just ran into eachother on the way to crash into your house... pretty sure if you were in a wreck it wouldn't be an accident.
Brenda Ball
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

union wrote:
I bet the car and the truck just ran into eachother on the way to crash into your house... pretty sure if you were in a wreck it wouldn't be an accident.
Go ahead and SPOUT on, union. I think your posts speak for themselves, and the level of intelligence behind them. I post my real name, having nothing to hide...and I feel no need to hide behind a false name. In over forty some odd years of driving I have had ONE accident...and you're right, it wasn't my fault...I was hit from behind. That comes from obeying the rules of the road, being considerate of others, and having respect for the police and their duty. By the posts you have made here, that is obviously something you have no concept of or haven't a clue as to how to achieve. Obviously you think you're above the law...but I wouldn't get too confident if I were you. If you think your belittling me is hurting me, please don't flatter yourself. Actually, you're SNIDE remarks are complimentary...considering the source from which they come.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Lebanon Forum right now

Search the Lebanon Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Law enforcement on a bad power trip 10 min somebody 14
Gwen Culbertson 2 hr Hmmmm 14
McDonald's workers??? 4 hr unknown 1
Old Mill/Southern Smoke BBQ 16 hr Justus 39
Thoughts on Lebanon DMV (Sep '10) 19 hr Rude ass workers 40
Do women wear makeup anymore (Dec '13) 22 hr southern jock 31
dance mom that drives a nissan Wed info2 15
Doctor's license suspended amid prescription dr... Wed DVD 228
•••