TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon

TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon

There are 390 comments on the WZTV Top Stories story from Aug 26, 2013, titled TRW Automotive Workers Strike in Lebanon. In it, WZTV Top Stories reports that:

Stream our newscasts LIVE starting with TN Mornings at 5am and News at 9pm. LEBANON, Tenn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZTV Top Stories.

amazing

Maryville, TN

#186 Sep 8, 2013
kneel down, grovel and beg at the 41 million dollar a year bastards feet

lick his jack boots and shine them with your hair

really, trw can't afford to pay a living wage to anyone and as long as everyone is scared to hold their feet to the fire, just like the puzzy truckers that won't strike to get fuel costs down for everyone, nothing will change

stick to your guns, if it all falls to crap, start up a business to compete with them having a mission of never allowing any mega-greedy rodent face nazi's to ever take control of what is built... Americans will support that once it becomes fashionable again.
trw worker wrote:
Everyone agrees that the new hires don't make enough however, If we don't vote this contract in, we are all going to be competing for $12 an hour jobs!! Have any of you actually looked at whats out there? People will start crossing soon (if we aren't locked out), because they have to to support their families, not because they want to. Then what will we have and what will we have fought for?
trw worker in Lafayette

Urbana, IL

#187 Sep 8, 2013
i hear from a supervisor on first shift that they fired everyone and that everyone will be getting there letters in a few day. Don't know if this is just her running her mouth or the truth but just wanted to let you guys know what I was told today.
maverick

Charlotte, NC

#188 Sep 8, 2013
trw worker in Lafayette wrote:
i hear from a supervisor on first shift that they fired everyone and that everyone will be getting there letters in a few day. Don't know if this is just her running her mouth or the truth but just wanted to let you guys know what I was told today.
I heard the same thing. their hiring new people starting,Monday.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#189 Sep 8, 2013
trw worker in Lafayette wrote:
They are Economcial Strikers and is exactly what happened to the UAW members there in Columbia City, IN.

economic striker

If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer an economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/eta/warn/glossary.as...

Employees conducting an economic strike are seeking to obtain an economic benefit, such as higher pay or better hours, from their employer. These employees, called economic strikers, maintain their jobs and cannot be fired. An employer may, however, replace the economic strikers. If the employer has filled a striking employee's position with a bona fide permanent replacement at the time the striker applies unconditionally to go back to work, the striker is not entitled to immediate reinstatement. If the employee does not find substantially equivalent employment, however, he or she is entitled to be recalled to a job for which he or she is qualified as such openings occur. The employee must, however, have made a formal request for reinstatement.

http://www.stavinemploymentlaw.com/newsletter...
union is over

Murfreesboro, TN

#190 Sep 8, 2013
Scared to death it hasn't even went before nlbr or judge yet bunch of big p its there last bluff what you think they would say .why the hell did we go on strike if your going to fold with a threat

Location hidden

#192 Sep 8, 2013
union is over wrote:
Scared to death it hasn't even went before nlbr or judge yet bunch of big p its there last bluff what you think they would say .why the hell did we go on strike if your going to fold with a threat
They did that to the UAW members of local 2049 there in Columbia City, IN at Coupled Products which they terminated them and replaced them with permanent replacement workers before it went to the NLRB and 2 other places I know same thing happened and union members were left without jobs.

http://www.wane.com/news/indiana/two-years-la...
TRW Lebanon TN

Cookeville, TN

#193 Sep 8, 2013
Do you have anything Positive at all to say, regarding these people trying to better their lives and their children's lives? You have been on here for days repeating the same message. Doom! Doom! Doom! The sky is falling!!

Do you really think we don't know what the stakes are?

I believe you must be a Union buster, Mr or Mrs "Anonymous."
....Sounds fishy to me!
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>They did that to the UAW members of local 2049 there in Columbia City, IN at Coupled Products which they terminated them and replaced them with permanent replacement workers before it went to the NLRB and 2 other places I know same thing happened and union members were left without jobs.
Another Trw worker

Crystal Lake, IL

#194 Sep 8, 2013
Heard they asked for volunteers to go down to cross pick line but also heard no one volunteered. Management has slowly striped us of what we used to have at our plant and now we hear " you should just be happy you have a job" well you know what I am happy to have a job--- but I really liked my career then now it is just a job I go to work to get paid that's all the temps have been the downfall of this country because instead of demanding a permanent job - which they want- they are temp until they prove themselves. I don't know about anyone else but if they want us to buy their cars they'd better make sure we have jobs making money to afford them. I say stand strong with your union.

Location hidden

#195 Sep 8, 2013
TRW Lebanon TN wrote:
Do you have anything Positive at all to say, regarding these people trying to better their lives and their children's lives? You have been on here for days repeating the same message. Doom! Doom! Doom! The sky is falling!!
Do you really think we don't know what the stakes are?
I believe you must be a Union buster, Mr or Mrs "Anonymous."
....Sounds fishy to me!
<quoted text>
Just telling the truth and how Federal Law was changed by the Democrats and Bill Clinton to weaken the Unions and the Democrats and Bill Clinton were the Union Busters when they reclassified strikers into two groups unfair and economical which was designed to weaken the Unions besides Unions dont have the power they used to because of the BS done by Bill Clinton and the Democrats.

Location hidden

#196 Sep 8, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>They did that to the UAW members of local 2049 there in Columbia City, IN at Coupled Products which they terminated them and replaced them with permanent replacement workers before it went to the NLRB and 2 other places I know same thing happened and union members were left without jobs.
Here is another Factory where the Union went on strike and the UAW Members lost their jobs since they were considered economical strikers in Auburn, IN back in 2002.

Indiana parts plant strike enters eighth month

Workers at Auburn Gear Inc. continue to walk the picket line in opposition to the company’s demand to terminate health insurance benefits for retirees. One hundred members of United Auto Workers Local 825 walked off the job last November 4 when the company refused to withdraw a contract proposal that called for the termination of retiree benefits along with a reduction in the company’s contribution to current employees’ pension plans.

“The retirees paid their dues,” striker Duane Colgan told the Journal Gazette.“The retirement benefits were a promise which management is now going back on.” Strikers point out that over the years they have sacrificed pay increases to maintain benefits going back to when the present owners bought the plant from Borg-Warner Corporation in 1982.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2003/06/lab-j...
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#197 Sep 8, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Here is another Factory where the Union went on strike and the UAW Members lost their jobs since they were considered economical strikers in Auburn, IN back in 2002.
Indiana parts plant strike enters eighth month
Workers at Auburn Gear Inc. continue to walk the picket line in opposition to the company’s demand to terminate health insurance benefits for retirees. One hundred members of United Auto Workers Local 825 walked off the job last November 4 when the company refused to withdraw a contract proposal that called for the termination of retiree benefits along with a reduction in the company’s contribution to current employees’ pension plans.
“The retirees paid their dues,” striker Duane Colgan told the Journal Gazette.“The retirement benefits were a promise which management is now going back on.” Strikers point out that over the years they have sacrificed pay increases to maintain benefits going back to when the present owners bought the plant from Borg-Warner Corporation in 1982.
http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2003/06/lab-j...
I have not been able to find when or what pay increases were sacrificed...
union strong

Greenville, SC

#198 Sep 8, 2013
Yes but they are not going to replace you after 2 weeks, just a scare tatic. The company is getting desperate . if your union officals bring the same contract back to you 3 days later then shame on them they are a bunch of scared punks. If you stand together and vote it down again your officals will prob get scared and cross sounds like you elected some mammas boys. The company lies. STAND

Location hidden

#199 Sep 8, 2013
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>I have not been able to find when or what pay increases were sacrificed...
I was looking for other articles online about what happened & details there at auburn gear strike but that is the only article I could come across but yeah they ended up loosing the Union did including their jobs and were replaced.

Location hidden

#200 Sep 8, 2013
Here is how Bill Clinton attacked and dealt with Organized Labor and the Unions of companies that dealt with Federal Government Contracts which he did by executive order.

President Clinton issued an executive order in March of 1995 stating that the federal government would not grant government contracts to companies that did replace striking workers with permanent replacements. Companies like Boeing and McDonnell Douglas will be greatly affected by this policy.

Executive Order 12954 - Ensuring the Economical and Efficient Administration and Completion of Federal Government Contracts
March 8, 1995

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/...
trw worker in Lafayette

Urbana, IL

#201 Sep 8, 2013
I work on the commercial side and i hear alot. They sent one of our engineers down there to work the line to get our parts to us. All of us on both shifts are pulling for you guys and we stand behind you guys. We know when our contract is up the same thing is gonna happen at the Lafayette Plant.
trw worker

Lafayette, TN

#202 Sep 8, 2013
By law the Union Officials are required to bring anything proposed to the members. Our biggest problem is that we have people that are about to cross. We will be fighting for nothing if that happens. Everybody knows there are 2 tier wages and not everyone makes the same, so everyones financial circumstances are different. If we don't vote this in Wednesday, none of us have jobs anyway. If you notice what the previous poster said, if it goes to court it doesn't mean it will come out in favor of the Union and who has the money to wait around for it to go through the court system?

Location hidden

#203 Sep 8, 2013
Then in 1996 Executive Order 12954 was voided by a Federal Appeals Court which was intended to penalize companies that in effect discharge workers who strike.

Clinton Order Discouraging Striker Replacement Is Voided

By PETER T. KILBORN
Published: February 03, 1996

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/03/us/clinton-...

Location hidden

#204 Sep 8, 2013
here is an artilce explaining when the changes in the reclassification of Strikers into two Groups(Economic and Unfair) which was in 1994 when the Unions were really screwed and Clinton sacraficed the Unions for enacting NAFTA.

Labor dealt blow again in defeat of striker bill

July 15, 1994|By JACK GERMOND & JULES WITCOVER

According to Rex Hardesty, spokesman for the AFL-CIO, the Clinton White House worked hard to win striker replacement, holding 50 of the Senate's 56 senators and winning over three Republicans. But 60 votes were needed to cut off the filibuster, so even had the six defecting Democrats from Southern and border states stayed on the party reservation, the effort would still have fallen short.

Passing striker replacement would have helped salve the wounds opened between the administration and labor by the fierce NAFTA fight. There remains some hope that the issue can be brought up again later this year in a way that it can be passed on a majority vote, but it's considered a slim chance.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-07-15/n...

Location hidden

#205 Sep 8, 2013
trw worker wrote:
By law the Union Officials are required to bring anything proposed to the members. Our biggest problem is that we have people that are about to cross. We will be fighting for nothing if that happens. Everybody knows there are 2 tier wages and not everyone makes the same, so everyones financial circumstances are different. If we don't vote this in Wednesday, none of us have jobs anyway. If you notice what the previous poster said, if it goes to court it doesn't mean it will come out in favor of the Union and who has the money to wait around for it to go through the court system?
That Tier 2 wage system is creating problems for Chrysler and GM too with the Union Members but more of a problem at Chrysler because the UAW is still part owner of Chrysler and alot of the UAW members feel they are getting screwed by the National UAW because of the Conflict of Interest.
bills to pay

Tucson, AZ

#206 Sep 8, 2013
sure wrote:
Excuse me, are you trying to tell me your CEO's bachelor's degree cost bazillions of dollars, 30 years ago and are you saying he's still not paid his student loans?
That figures.
Look fool, you really don't even want to start with the "taxes are higher" bullshit because I can show you facts that will bury you in it over your eyeballs.
Take a look at his tax rate for this scary risky investment income above and beyond his over 12 million a year of "in the bag" vulgar over-compensation, lower than anyone else in the country and there is NO WORK involved.... just for starters.
Risky, yeah right, is he gonna go blow 17,000 an hour and if he gets fired be headed straight for skid row? Sure, be absurd.
One year of his salary and ANYONE should be set for life and so should their grandkids.
Nobody, you asshole, is saying management should make the same amount as those on the line, or that even in some cases an actual blue collar person or two may even make more than some managers...
HOWEVER..... even if your CEO had 35 Phd's from every IVY league college on the planet, he, nor you, will ever be worth 1000 times an hour that of any other human being breathing and I don't care who says otherwise.
You need not concern yourself with any sacrifices I've made or risks taken, you and I are not even from the same species and I'm very certain you'd never be able to comprehend.
I'm not a factory worker and what I have I worked for, earned myself and fought like you'll never know to keep it.
So big effing deal, you went to college, many of us did and managed to remain human enough after obtaining the lambskin to not suddenly become convince we're worth 40, 300, or 1000 times more than other human beings.
It's really interesting to study how when people start being paid absurd amounts of money, how surely and confident they become that not only are they entitled to such vulgar amounts, far above what anyone actually needs to have a FANTASTIC LIFE, but they should also be entitled to much more even if they'll never live long enough to actually enjoy or use a third of it.
<quoted text>
Read the original post. I wasn't referencing a $12 million/year CEO., I'm talking about $65-$200K year supervisors, Admin, HR, finance, ops managers, plant managers. So, be careful when you make blanket statements about absurdly rich and extremely poor. There is still a middle class fighting to say there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know where to get some last minute ecli... 1 hr Info 3
Lori Sams 12 hr Oswald 1
Julie Chaffins (Oct '16) 12 hr Dimmy 5
City Schools outsourcing custodial work to GCA ... (May '14) 13 hr and then 19
mark Johnson got out?!?! (May '14) Aug 18 Terry 5
Harley S Aug 18 Family 1
April Bogle Aug 17 ThatGuy 1

Lebanon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance