|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

"Letter Containing Ricin Sent To Mississippi Senator."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/letter-con...
Honest Voter

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

HASLAM

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Honest Voter wrote:
HASLAM
You need to read the News Articles from E.TN. The FBI got the second set of Warrants for "HASLAM's" Pilot HDQTs. last night.
Yet, the Haslam Bros. are claiming they don't know why. That's ludicrous, it's bad enough that they just don't want to tell why.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

"Experts Have Long Warned About IEDs In U.S."

Click here:
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/boston-...
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
This is also why manufacturing left our country. No one else has EPA standards, Unions, OSHA, along with the other things you mention. I'm not saying that it is good to not have these things, but these things are why we no longer are a manufacturing based economy. Simple tax incentives to bring back jobs aren't enough to accomplish this. We have driven these jobs overseas by attacking them because we don't feel they treat us right or pay enough to be here. Then when they leave, they get attacked for leaving. This mentality has to change sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.
Pete, Germany, Korea, Japan have some of the strongest Unions in the world and they are all big manufacturing countrys. Sooooo I don't think you can blame Unions on our lack of being a manufacturing based economy.
Olivia

Manchester, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like Amos needs some anger management...
Perhaps anger management, but I think Amos needs education, also. I really have struggled with understanding the right wing vilifying education and knowledge. Well, lately, I really have come to see that attitude. Knowledge is power and they really want the populus to be powerless. Much easier to hoodwink if they are ignorant and do not ask the question , WHY? Can I follow the money?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

"3rd Victim In Marathon Bombing Identified As Boston University Student."

(Pressure Cookers used as bombs.)

Click here:
http://www.wsmv.com/story/21989010/3rd-victim...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

"Senate Reaches Deal On Amendments To Gun Bill."

Click here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/senate...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

"U.S. Muslims Mobilize To Prevent Boston Marathon Backlash."

Click here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/us-m...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

"Alaska-Based Soldier Gets 16 Years In Spy Case."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/alaska-based-soldier-ge...
tea party tea party

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
"Alaska-Based Soldier Gets 16 Years In Spy Case."
Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/alaska-based-soldier-ge...
why dont you stick youd head up your wrinkled ass....we all have news channels...go watch rachel fagcow use your corncob again.
Pete

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Pete, Germany, Korea, Japan have some of the strongest Unions in the world and they are all big manufacturing countrys. Sooooo I don't think you can blame Unions on our lack of being a manufacturing based economy.
Hi Dunlapian,
In my opinion as always, manufacturers which require skilled labor do well with unions. The countries you mention are heavily invested in manufacturing that requires skilled labor, i.e. automobiles. Some of the last remaining manufacturers in the U.S. are automobile manufacturers. Another good example is airplane manufacturers. However, manufacturers making retail goods seek out the lowest labor possible. This is because they have to hit a "market" price that is set globally. Most of the manufacturing in the world today utilizes unskilled labor. Not many manufacturers can utilize unionized, unskilled labor and still hit a market price. Therefore, manufacturers of retail goods are located primarily in Southeast Asia. There are other things manufactured there as well such as car parts, steel, building materials, etc. things such as automobiles, airplanes, construction equipment. These are a lot larger ticket items that require a highly skilled work force to make. Skilled labor makes highly engineered items whose selling price can afford to utilize a unionized work force. The manufacturer cannot survive without the skilled labor they have. Manufacturers utilizing unskilled labor are not as dependent on the labor they have. They are easier to find.

Union membership in the U.S. is a lot smaller than it used to be. One reason is because most of the retail good manufacturers have left. I think this is more than a coincidence.
Again, just my two cents.
Olivia

Manchester, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

tea party tea party wrote:
<quoted text>why dont you stick youd head up your wrinkled ass....we all have news channels...go watch rachel fagcow use your corncob again.
I hope you get treatment. You know your hatred and intolerance will be your downfall. I hope you open your eyes and see that we are all God's children and deserve his love equally. This country was founded on religious freedom. We all have the constitutional right to pursue life, liberty, and happiness. Gay people have been here since the dawn of time and will not disappear because of your hatred.
Pete

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Olivia wrote:
<quoted text>
You know Amos, I do not know why big oil, coal, natural gas companies, walmart, Dow chemical and other enormous corporations outsource jobs, bypass environmental standards, and pay staff so little that they have to resort to food stamps and government health care where it exists, but I have a good idea. you know Amos, they count on people like you not being able to afford an education and being very easily manipulated and controlled. As long as you are ignorant and afraid you are easy prey for being poorly paid and uninsured and susceptible to corporate propaganda. I wish you well. You are just a victim.
Olivia, your naivety is alarming. I think in this case it is you lacking the education. I would suggest reading a Business 101 manual. In chapter 1, it will say something to the effect of making sure your sales are more than your costs to promote profitability and survivability. In Chapter 2, it will discuss avenues to take if you cannot sell your goods at the market price without incurring a loss. One such avenue is lowering your costs. You can do this by getting the goods you sell or make at a lower cost, lowering your payroll or lowering your overhead or a combination of all three. In Chapter 3, it will discuss fixed vs. variable costs. It will say if you cannot make your fixed costs or barely cover your variable costs with your sales, you are in dire straits. It will then refer you back to Chapter 2. If you are a U.S. manufacturer and have to incur the costs of leaving the environment as clean as when you started your business and employ every safety measure imaginable as well as incur numerous corporate, state, employment and local taxes while your competition doesn't, then you have to lower other costs. This would come in the form of employee benefits, wages, etc. If you cannot lower these wages to a point that is above minimum wage, then you have to move overseas. Chapter 4 will deal with some basic decision making. At one point, it will say if you are not willing to make some tough decisions, then don't bother being in the manufacturing business.

What you are asking a corporation to do is pay higher taxes, higher wages, instill every safety measure imaginable, pay employee health benefits and unemployment benefits and partial retirement benefits while offering a globally competitive price and remain in the U.S. Then on top of that, you are asking them to pay enormous costs to ensure and doubly ensure the environment is not affected by what they do. This Olivia is impossible. Since it is impossible, you blame corporations when it doesn't happen. Ever been to France or Spain? These countries are beautiful and great places to see. Can you name one Spanish or French manufacturer other than a winery or airplane corporation? Bottom line, if you want manufacturing to remain in the U.S., some of the hurdles have to be eliminated.

Right now the hurdles to manufacturing have increased substantially and the number of manufacturers have decreased substantially. This is no coincidence. Asking for the impossible will only lead to frustration. There is your education.
Steve 2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Olivia wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you get treatment. You know your hatred and intolerance will be your downfall. I hope you open your eyes and see that we are all God's children and deserve his love equally. This country was founded on religious freedom. We all have the constitutional right to pursue life, liberty, and happiness. Gay people have been here since the dawn of time and will not disappear because of your hatred.
Hi, it looks like there is a lot of hate going on. If you look back in the threads just a little. It seems like this SSS person has been starting a lot of the malcontent. I'm not trying to start anything but it seems like this is going on because others too.
Pete

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Olivia wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, I see your point, but that mentality is sooo short sighted. When we cannot breath the air or drink the water, the state of the economy will be a moot point. I fear it will not ever happen, but until corporations see the big picture and think beyond their next quarter's earnings and consider the world their grandchildren and hopefully grand children will grow up in. Humanity is headed straight into it's own annihilation.
Short sided? Hmmmm. Let me give you an example of short sidedness. You probably live in a house or apartment and generate some amount of trash. Like most people, once a week you take your trash to the curb for the local authority to pick it up. It is then taken to a landfill and dumped. Now you are told you cannot do that any longer because you are littering our environment. You are then told you have to burn all of your own combustible trash and you have to store all non-combustible trash in your home so you don't litter the environment. You answer by stating this is impossible and impractical and you cannot do these things. Would this make you a bad person or an irresponsible citizen? Of course not. But this is exactly what you are asking U.S. manufacturers to do via the EPA.

Any government cannot demand a lot of environmental regulations, high taxes, high entitlements, provide benefits to a large portion of its citizens and non-citizens and remain a viable entity. Case in point - California.

Throw enough hurdles at a business or manufacturer to the point where the profits do not exceed what you can make off simply investing in U.S. Treasuries, and these companies will sell off their assets and do just that. Or move to another country where they can make more than what they can in U.S. Treasuries. In this case, the government has lost a revenue source and the U.S. has a higher unemployment rate. Sort of where we are headed now.

Don't take a basic financial issue and try to answer it with environmental or social ideology. Financial issues never get solved that way and they never have. If you think that it can happen for the first time now ... then you would be giving a fine example of being, let's say, short sided.
Pete

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Steve 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, it looks like there is a lot of hate going on. If you look back in the threads just a little. It seems like this SSS person has been starting a lot of the malcontent. I'm not trying to start anything but it seems like this is going on because others too.
Sorry for hogging this thread, but I will reply to this and then shut up. In my opinion, a lot of what you see are people expressing different opinions. Sometimes, someone reads an opinion different than theirs and offers a stern reply. I wouldn't call this hate. I honestly don't think SSS is spewing hate when she offers a differing opinion. Some people interpret it that way, but I don't.

There is genuine hate when some people start discussing personal issues of another poster. This leads me to believe some posters actually know one another and this thread is an easy way to sling some hate. Things would be a lot better if everyone would allow personal issues to remain personal. There are others on here spewing hate simply because they have had one too many and choose to reply to an opposing opinion with filth and vulgarity. Most of the time, these posters are simply ignored.

Hate breeds more hate. Before you know it, a person can be consumed by it. Life is too short to not enjoy the most part of it. If someone is miserable or experiencing some pain, making others miserable or inflicting pain will not make that someone feel better or eliminate the misery or pain.

Trust me, I am no saint or philosopher, but I have found that eliminating hate in my life makes me feel better for some reason.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry for hogging this thread, but I will reply to this and then shut up. In my opinion, a lot of what you see are people expressing different opinions. Sometimes, someone reads an opinion different than theirs and offers a stern reply. I wouldn't call this hate. I honestly don't think SSS is spewing hate when she offers a differing opinion. Some people interpret it that way, but I don't.
There is genuine hate when some people start discussing personal issues of another poster. This leads me to believe some posters actually know one another and this thread is an easy way to sling some hate. Things would be a lot better if everyone would allow personal issues to remain personal. There are others on here spewing hate simply because they have had one too many and choose to reply to an opposing opinion with filth and vulgarity. Most of the time, these posters are simply ignored.
Hate breeds more hate. Before you know it, a person can be consumed by it. Life is too short to not enjoy the most part of it. If someone is miserable or experiencing some pain, making others miserable or inflicting pain will not make that someone feel better or eliminate the misery or pain.
Trust me, I am no saint or philosopher, but I have found that eliminating hate in my life makes me feel better for some reason.
I beg to differ.This SSS chick is way beyond stern.I've been a murderer in the streets,and could care less about hungry kids,and have a small dick among other rants and rages.If you disagree you are a Tea pub idiot who only watches Fake Fox and you're a gun crazy crack pot that's out to destroy America and anyone they can get their meathooks on.
She's a screaming banshee that has the ultimate answer from all the correct sources and you're gay or turning gay and someone else besides yourself.
The definition of stern is strict.

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

Smyrna, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ.This SSS chick is way beyond stern.I've been a murderer in the streets,and could care less about hungry kids,and have a small dick among other rants and rages.If you disagree you are a Tea pub idiot who only watches Fake Fox and you're a gun crazy crack pot that's out to destroy America and anyone they can get their meathooks on.
She's a screaming banshee that has the ultimate answer from all the correct sources and you're gay or turning gay and someone else besides yourself.
The definition of stern is strict.
All the correct sources Like Mother Jones? Has anyone else noticed that since, Mother Jones got in the news by publishing the tapes of a private strategy meeting of Mitch McConnell's campaign staff,and is now under investigation, Those links to that site are no longer posted by Linda. She used to hit us with them many times a day but I have not seen a link posted in the last week or so. I wonder why? I mean, she has called it a reputable source. Right?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Short sided? Hmmmm. Let me give you an example of short sidedness. You probably live in a house or apartment and generate some amount of trash. Like most people, once a week you take your trash to the curb for the local authority to pick it up. It is then taken to a landfill and dumped. Now you are told you cannot do that any longer because you are littering our environment. You are then told you have to burn all of your own combustible trash and you have to store all non-combustible trash in your home so you don't litter the environment. You answer by stating this is impossible and impractical and you cannot do these things. Would this make you a bad person or an irresponsible citizen? Of course not. But this is exactly what you are asking U.S. manufacturers to do via the EPA.
Any government cannot demand a lot of environmental regulations, high taxes, high entitlements, provide benefits to a large portion of its citizens and non-citizens and remain a viable entity. Case in point - California.
Throw enough hurdles at a business or manufacturer to the point where the profits do not exceed what you can make off simply investing in U.S. Treasuries, and these companies will sell off their assets and do just that. Or move to another country where they can make more than what they can in U.S. Treasuries. In this case, the government has lost a revenue source and the U.S. has a higher unemployment rate. Sort of where we are headed now.
Don't take a basic financial issue and try to answer it with environmental or social ideology. Financial issues never get solved that way and they never have. If you think that it can happen for the first time now ... then you would be giving a fine example of being, let's say, short sided.
You know Pete, back in the day, one of the major problems was over-crowding of our Planet and the U.S., in particular for us and all of the problems that would cause. Even though One doesn't hear that much about it, anymore...I think that has happened in the U.S.

I do see your point, but I think Olivia has a valid point, also...and therein lies the problem.

The Pro-Lifers have drowned out any talk of over-population. But, in the meantime, the pollution generated by "people" and their needs, is causing illnesses, housing problems, job shortages, and Industrial Waste problems, just to name a few.
While we have done little to address any of the other problems that over-population in our Country has caused, I sometimes wonder if the answer that our Gov't. came up with to lessen our Industrial Waste problem, was to send our Unskilled Manufacturing Industry and jobs, out of the Country.

I read an Article awhile back on one of my News Feeds, that said, on the CA. shipping docks, the Chinese Containers that come in on the Ships filled with Goods were stacking up and there was nowhere to put them, and China didn't want them back. So, what to do with them was becoming a huge problem.
Here's what someone came up with...they are turning them into homes for People to buy. They can be stacked on top of one another or stand alone, so they can be bought, after they are remodeled, as an Individual small home for someone who owns a Lot of Land, or they can be bought and stacked as an Apartment Complex and rented out.
Actually, they were kinda cute in the pictures they showed of some of them after they were remodeled. I remember thinking that for one , or possibly two People at the most, they didn't look all that bad. Cozy, would best describe them.
And the price, I thought it was high, for what they actually were...but in CA., they would have been considered very cheap for Housing and you wouldn't have to live in the Slums simply because that's all One could afford to put a roof over their head.

I haven't read another thing about them and I've wondered if it was an idea that went anywhere. But, I also wondered if this is what the Future will be like for all of our population.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are you for or against building the firehall in... 47 min The One and ONLY 21
attorneys 4 hr Goldfinger 2
Legalize Marijuana in Trousdale County? 12 hr Dr Kervorkian 0
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 15 hr WTH 9,264
Why does Carolina Fool want merchants in Hartsv... Thu I know it all 5
Judge Byrd reprimanded in Wilson County case (Feb '08) Thu Amy Adams 125
Debate: Ferguson - Hartsville, TN Wed Duh 8

Search the Lebanon Forum:
•••
•••