Road Superintendent Qualifications Wo...

Road Superintendent Qualifications Woefully Inadequate Results In Losses

Posted in the Lebanon Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Shake It

Seymour, TN

#1 Mar 26, 2014
http://tinyurl.com/ogtun4m

Everyone KNOWS that jack hammering and hoe ramming right up next to brick, mortar, concrete and rock buildings is sure to cause destruction.

The current and past Road Superintendents have found it ok and acceptable to subject their neighbor's properties to far greater destructive vibration and right up next to everyone's antique buildings, and for years now!

Structural and even cosmetic brick work doesn't just move, break, crumble without cause. MANY have performed repointing and other structural work within the last 15 years. Why?

To learn more about how this has affected you, how to identify it and how to stop it, start here.

http://www.vibrationdamage.com/

For those who want to know more, FTA's Chapter 12 lays out the basics along with the simple reverse calculation math.

http://www.hmmh.com/cmsdocuments/FTA_Ch_12.pd...

Keep in mind that the equation given in Chapter 12 applies ONLY if your property is isolated by soil or other elastic type media. If your property is resting on the same foundational bedrock (almost every building downtown) as the road beds, a very different equation applies (non-elastic media) which show far greater vibrational forces delivered to your building.

I can direct you to this math as well as all the relevant complex physical sciences.

If the qualifications for the Road Superintendent are not changed, you can expect further destruction of downtown properties and one day, perhaps at your very own property that isn't downtown. This happens all over this, and many other states. That doesn't make it right, legal or lawful.

Vibrational Destruction of your property results from a careless, reckless and/or ignorant Common Law, Statutory and Criminal Trespasses.

I can assure you that if you were inside your building and all of the sudden it violently shook, knocking things off the wall and damaging your structure, you'd be well within your reasonable rights to treat the person responsible as if they were Al Qaeda or Taliban.

Anyone in the business should damned well know better and there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for such ignorant stupidity and callous disregard for the property of others.
Pop Quiz

Seymour, TN

#2 Mar 26, 2014
The majestic and impressive antique courthouse downtown is surrounded by soil, however, it's foundation is solidly and wisely resting on the limestone rock under it. Refer to the foolish man and his house upon the sand if you don't understand why this matters.

Assuming it's foundation was completely isolated by the compacted soil around it, what is the closest distance that a vibratory compactor should ever be operated to it with a certainty that it wouldn't cause damages, visible or not easily detectable, cosmetic OR structural?

The PPV of the Cat 543C given at ~0.2" is very conservative and other testing by a very reputable Dynapac shows 0.6" able to occur depending on compactor weight. Yep, there is an equation proven true considering weight.

The selective frequency is not so much of a concern for this question as the superintendent and operators are NOT required to possess even a basic understanding the natural frequencies of various structures or of harmonic standing wave damages, which are far more significant than simple particle displacement.
Pop Quiz

Seymour, TN

#3 Mar 26, 2014
Note: PPV references given are at the United States standard 25'
Prime Example

Seymour, TN

#4 Mar 26, 2014
Classic and prime examples of vibrational impact damages clearly visible by looking at the Masonic Lodge. I wonder how many times a vibratory pavement roller has been used within 25' of it. The VFW and those buildings also show unmistakable signs.
Prime Example

Seymour, TN

#5 Mar 26, 2014
Wasn't a HUGE RoadTec grinder operated within just feet of both the lodge and the courthouse in 2009? Who would do a thing like that?
Question

White House, TN

#6 Mar 27, 2014
So you are saying the county tax payers should repair all these 100 year old building that are decaying. Where will this money come from?
What

United States

#7 Mar 27, 2014
I am saying that almost EVERY building in the historic district has vibrational impact damage clearly visible. Some have serious structural damage with several ACTUALLY POSING AN IMMEDIATE THREAT TO PUBLIC SAFETY.

LOOK up! One gust of wind and there are precariously perched loose bricks ready to clobber people in the courthouse area.

Also very obvious is that many have had major structural and/or cosmetic work already done with some having been worked on multiple times.

Now go ask your elected Road Superintendent how many times a vibratory roller has been put to shaking anywhere within 50' of the historic district's border in the last 15 to 20 years, or even ever.

Ask him is he thinks it's an acceptable practice. Ask him if he'll prove it by allowing me to let that 15 ton Cat wail within 5' of his home's foundation wall, preferrably on his concrete driveway, which truly is isolated by soil all the way around. He doesn't know better because he is not qualified for the job and is certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Ask him if he is willing to pay for damages for which he is personally responsible. Ask him why he would bother to interfere with righteously settling of a very reasonable insurance claim arising out of his malfeasance. Funny is that the county's attorney takes an specific position yet, look carefully at her building. What has damaged it, a heavy gavel, run of the mill fatigue or was it a just never a well constructed building?

These buildings would have lasted many hundreds of years without being shaken apart by ignorant and irresponsible people on road construction equipment.

Notice the courthouse and how much work was done to the side on 141. The the cold planer and vibratory rollers that came through summer of 2009 did NONE of those buildings any favors.

They tax-payers are surely paying for the bulk of it's restoration and if something is not done to prevent vibrational impact damage by road construction poorly trained monkeys, they'll do it again within 20 years or so when most of the rest of the buildings here have finally fallen over.

It still is a Class IV structure.

What I am saying is that the qualifications to hold that office need to be dramatically raised complete with comprehensive testing. Bill Scruggs is not qualified to be in charge of such destructive equipment, nor can he control a work crew.

Seriously, look carefully (that doesn't mean like the blind property tax guy or the lame duck mayor doesn't even pretend to) but really look at these buildings downtown, they are almost ALL seriously damaged and for no good reason.

Tons of pix and videos possibly available upon request.
Dismissive Decay

United States

#8 Mar 27, 2014
You say "decaying" when the truth is they are being destroyed by ignorance and stupidity.

If you do not believe that vibrational road construction equipment can harm property, let's arrange for me to demonstrate that on your home, regardless of how it's constructed. Just a little ole 15 ton Vibratory Roller Compacter operated by me, who has no significant road construction qualifications, and we'll see if I can knock you place over or seriously hurt it with three or four ten second blasts.

I promise you I could use that same piece equipment and all but level several of the buildings in the historic district, without ever touching them, and in less than 2 hours, including the time to move it to the deployment points.

Just because no state law or regulation exists that specifically prohibits doing so, wouldn't make it right or any less a crime.

Keep in mind these Class IV buildings have always been quite frail and would be even if they were completely isolated by soil, instead of being built on the rock underneath them.
Question wrote:
So you are saying the county tax payers should repair all these 100 year old building that are decaying. Where will this money come from?
Thats why you pay it

White House, TN

#9 Mar 27, 2014
Dismissive Decay wrote:
You say "decaying" when the truth is they are being destroyed by ignorance and stupidity.
If you do not believe that vibrational road construction equipment can harm property, let's arrange for me to demonstrate that on your home, regardless of how it's constructed. Just a little ole 15 ton Vibratory Roller Compacter operated by me, who has no significant road construction qualifications, and we'll see if I can knock you place over or seriously hurt it with three or four ten second blasts.
I promise you I could use that same piece equipment and all but level several of the buildings in the historic district, without ever touching them, and in less than 2 hours, including the time to move it to the deployment points.
Just because no state law or regulation exists that specifically prohibits doing so, wouldn't make it right or any less a crime.
Keep in mind these Class IV buildings have always been quite frail and would be even if they were completely isolated by soil, instead of being built on the rock underneath them.
<quoted text>
File a claim with you homeowners ins.
wonder

United States

#10 Mar 27, 2014
makes ya wonder why so many of them are seriously damaged and crumbling if it's just that simple.

Really, look up and carefully.

Buckshot is simple if criminals trespass on your property with destructive vibration.

Besides, there is no law in this state or it's three constitutions that require real estate to be insured.

There are plenty that make it a crime to destroy tgat which does not belong to you. Besides, who pays for the Road Crew's insurance?
Thats why you pay it wrote:
<quoted text>
ask

United States

#11 Mar 27, 2014
Ask Mr Roehrig and the others on Gallatin's town square how doing just that worked out for them. The city of Gallatin actually employs seal bearing engineers that damned well should know better.

TDOT employs many engineers as well although they simply have what appears to be absolute immunity and never are held accountable for signing off on bad projects.

Strange is how the very reasonable chapter 12 guidelines are strictly adhered to on many construction sites in America, like say this state's capitol building, all of DC and even more stringent ones all over Europe where buildings aren't considered antique until they are hundreds of years older than this country.

HOW IS IT that so many brick, mortar and/or stone pieces of architecture manage to survive for hundreds and thousands of years on this same planet if not destroyed by man made seismic activity?

How is it the pilings and piers for the old bridges in the Florida Keys have stood in the ocean no less, and in excellent condition, for over 100 years despite taking a constant pounding by wind and waves alike? Oh, that's right, the Germans built them.

However, I still am waiting for any that would have others believe that a vibratory roller compactor is not destructive to prove it by subjecting their homes to it so then they can try out their insurance. Do you want some?

Seems reasonable since duels were outlawed years ago.
Thats why you pay it wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Bill

Maggie Valley, NC

#12 Mar 27, 2014
Let's talk about what you know.

What is the PPV of that compactor at 20" with no attenuating soil between it and a receiver?

Does it exceed the state's blasting limit of 2"/second?

Which lies; math, road superintendents or engineers paid to do so?

You do know the Blasting Protocols and why they are actually intended for instantaneous, not continuous, events, correct?

Do you even know what PPV is?
Easier for Billy

Marion, NC

#13 Mar 28, 2014
At what distance can that CAT roller compacter exceed the State of Tennessee's Blasting Maximum PPV?

I'll give you a hint, it's greater than 20".

Now can we please just try it out on your place?

In fact, how about you just agree to being ambushed while you and yours are in your home because that is what you road people do despite the very clear blasting protocols.
Thompson Machinery

Bennettsville, SC

#14 Mar 29, 2014
Cry me a river!!!!!
Great

Smartt, TN

#15 Mar 29, 2014
Frankly, I don't care if you people knock them all down here by being ignorant. What is clear is that the operators of this town's CAT roller certainly appear to be lacking adequate training for whatever reasons.

In the event the manufactures are actually negligent in that respect, I would love to see huge class action suits against the equipment manufacturers for their large part in the destruction of property belonging to Americans. Maybe one day that will happen. ;-)

It sure looks sorta like Trousdale County just may have cause.

Good day, Sir.
Thompson Machinery wrote:
Cry me a river!!!!!
Town Crier

White House, TN

#16 Mar 29, 2014
This guy cries about everything. He is the victim in case after case,the world is out to get him. How many times have you been to the courts.
Thompson Machinery

Bennettsville, SC

#17 Mar 29, 2014
Yea I already know tried to pin it on the state for working on the bridge LMAO. That didn't work so hey let's try and pin the highway dept.Sir I say to you yearly inspection and up keep would prolly go a long way on your problem and some homeowners insurance also would help.
Right

Smartt, TN

#18 Mar 29, 2014
You road guys certainly know what you are doing! All of downtown Hartsville shows it quite well!

http://tinyurl.com/qdayar5
Right

Smartt, TN

#19 Mar 29, 2014
Just about knocked Reggie's old bank over too.......... look at it and all the buildings downtown you morons have torn up. Yeah man, the insurance people just step right up. Do you smoke lots of arm dope or just some here and there?
Good

United States

#20 Mar 29, 2014
What will help any of you if you bring any such equipment anywhere near my property and I know about it, will be to make sure you bring air support.
Thompson Machinery wrote:
Yea I already know tried to pin it on the state for working on the bridge LMAO. That didn't work so hey let's try and pin the highway dept.Sir I say to you yearly inspection and up keep would prolly go a long way on your problem and some homeowners insurance also would help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Karma 11 hr Grow up 2
Thugs in Hartsville 23 hr Say What 14
Jerome Pitts 23 hr curious 1
Barry Gregory Thu Concerned Friend 1
Junkies in Hartsville Wed HAPPY 3
anthony torres Feb 21 old friend 1
adrianna denton Feb 21 old friend 1

Lebanon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance