Already, Lebanon's mayor-elect has be...

Already, Lebanon's mayor-elect has been busy

There are 18 comments on the Lebanon Daily News story from Nov 4, 2009, titled Already, Lebanon's mayor-elect has been busy. In it, Lebanon Daily News reports that:

Lebanon Mayor-elect Sherry Capello is turning to a variety of sources for advice on how to run the city, so she will be prepared to hit the ground running when sworn in in January.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lebanon Daily News.

Since: Aug 09

Lebanon, PA

#1 Nov 4, 2009
Wow! This city is rife with crime and the streets aren't safe to walk at night but Capello thinks we need night clubs to attract more young people to the city. Every time one of the local pubs tries this it turns into a disaster. Then again maybe she wants to raise some money for the city through DUI arrests.

People don't want to move here because of the crimes and the failure of the educational system. What parent who wasn't born in this city would want to move here from another area so their children can go to a failing school, be exposed to drugs and other crimes, possibly get shot outside the farmer's market in the middle of the afternoon and then rationalize all that away by saying "Hey, they got a great Night Life though!"

The ones that are moving into the city are doing so because of the ease of getting on the social services programs and because of the shortage of police so they can deal. Slumlords know the city ordinances will be ignored and if they do get fined, they know the fines will get dismissed. The city is going down the drain, houses are falling into ruin and the solution is a Night Life so parents can run out and ignore their kids leaving them to run the streets all hours of the night. What did we get ourselves into?
thomas paine

Bainbridge, PA

#2 Nov 4, 2009
I gotta agree with you on this one, the only place i disagree is that it's going down the drain, it's already there.
WTF

Lancaster, PA

#3 Nov 4, 2009
Why didnt you guys run for the office?
guardian

United States

#4 Nov 4, 2009
Angry Local Resident wrote:
Wow! This city is rife with crime and the streets aren't safe to walk at night but Capello thinks we need night clubs to attract more young people to the city. Every time one of the local pubs tries this it turns into a disaster. Then again maybe she wants to raise some money for the city through DUI arrests.
People don't want to move here because of the crimes and the failure of the educational system. What parent who wasn't born in this city would want to move here from another area so their children can go to a failing school, be exposed to drugs and other crimes, possibly get shot outside the farmer's market in the middle of the afternoon and then rationalize all that away by saying "Hey, they got a great Night Life though!"
The ones that are moving into the city are doing so because of the ease of getting on the social services programs and because of the shortage of police so they can deal. Slumlords know the city ordinances will be ignored and if they do get fined, they know the fines will get dismissed. The city is going down the drain, houses are falling into ruin and the solution is a Night Life so parents can run out and ignore their kids leaving them to run the streets all hours of the night. What did we get ourselves into?
Most of what you say is true but remember the former mayor did nothing about it she was too worried about grafittee to have the laws enforced. Even when the cops tried to enforce the law there are always the complaints like why did they arrest the guy with a bag of pot on his forhead. Start pressuring the new mayor to enforce all of the laws and the rest will clean it self up. The first one to be enforced should be USC 1324. look it up.
She will do something

Ridley Park, PA

#5 Nov 5, 2009
No worries, Capello will do something.....she will do whatever she can to make sure her friends are taken care of and the lower class will pay for it. I hope she's not really celebrating this win considering she didn't have an opponent, how hard is it to come in first? Let the gloating not commence.
Angry Local Resident wrote:
Wow! This city is rife with crime and the streets aren't safe to walk at night but Capello thinks we need night clubs to attract more young people to the city. Every time one of the local pubs tries this it turns into a disaster. Then again maybe she wants to raise some money for the city through DUI arrests.
People don't want to move here because of the crimes and the failure of the educational system. What parent who wasn't born in this city would want to move here from another area so their children can go to a failing school, be exposed to drugs and other crimes, possibly get shot outside the farmer's market in the middle of the afternoon and then rationalize all that away by saying "Hey, they got a great Night Life though!"
The ones that are moving into the city are doing so because of the ease of getting on the social services programs and because of the shortage of police so they can deal. Slumlords know the city ordinances will be ignored and if they do get fined, they know the fines will get dismissed. The city is going down the drain, houses are falling into ruin and the solution is a Night Life so parents can run out and ignore their kids leaving them to run the streets all hours of the night. What did we get ourselves into?
Never forget

Morton, PA

#6 Nov 5, 2009
"The lower class" -- You mean the people who don't vote? What was the turnout? 22 percent?

Whose fault is it she didn't have an opponent? She won a contested primary in the spring against the incumbent, or maybe you forgot about that. It's not her fault no one chose to run against her as an independent or Democrat in the general election.

Angry Local Resident -- You have all the answers. Why didn't you run for office? Lebanon School District provides a fine education for those who want to learn. Anyone with half a brain realizes that.

Since: Aug 09

Lebanon, PA

#7 Nov 5, 2009
I have a whole brain. I use it to assimilate knowledge, not to quote made up facts. 2213 votes for mayor according to the article means that less then 10 percent of the city population voted for the mayor. Not the 22 percent you made up on the spot.

This is the legacy of Lebanon High School on Wikipedia.

Lebanon High School has been criticized for incidents taking place at the school involving bullying, harassment, and violence. While LHS rival, Cedar Crest High School has had substance abuse problems, LHS has been known to have problems involving the protection of student's safety. There have been a few times in the past where law enforcement had to come into the school and arrest students. LHS has also had an increase in emergency codes over the last seven years.

Lebanon School District was the only district in the county that failed to meet goals set by the federal government last year, according from the state Department of Education. This is the sixth year the school district has failed to meet its objectives as of 2008. Lebanon High School, being the primary educational facility of the district, failed to meet nine of its educational objectives for the 2007-2008 school year. The superintendent of the Lebanon School district has stated that the Lebanon High School along with the rest of the district has failed to meet the No child Left Behind Act standards, due to low test scores.(source wikipedia-http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Lebanon_High_School_( Pennsylvania)

We can keep on making excuses and redirecting the blame to avoid the issues. Capello's statements speak for themselves. Nothing about the crime, nothing about drugs, nothing about a failing school. The only concern she specifically addresses is the need for more "night life" clubs so young people have something to do at night in the belief that this will attract more young people to move into the city.

Never forget

Morton, PA

#8 Nov 5, 2009
22 percent of registered voters participated -- that's how turnout is determined you freakin' dunce! You don't count everyone who lives in the city.
What a clown you are.

As for Wikipedia -- nice source.

Show me one urban district in the state that has better results than Lebanon. It's hard to meet NCLB standards when you have a significant transient population, many of whom have limited English skills and significant family problems. When parents don't participate, students generally don't succeed. Lebanon has far greater barriers than any other Lebanon County school district has to deal with.

Attracting young people shows Capello is thinking outside the box. The city needs some sort of spark and more restaurants/clubs would be a start -- see Harrisburg.
Phineas

West Chester, PA

#9 Nov 5, 2009
Never forget wrote:
22 percent of registered voters participated -- that's how turnout is determined you freakin' dunce! You don't count everyone who lives in the city.
What a clown you are.
As for Wikipedia -- nice source.
Show me one urban district in the state that has better results than Lebanon. It's hard to meet NCLB standards when you have a significant transient population, many of whom have limited English skills and significant family problems. When parents don't participate, students generally don't succeed. Lebanon has far greater barriers than any other Lebanon County school district has to deal with.
Attracting young people shows Capello is thinking outside the box. The city needs some sort of spark and more restaurants/clubs would be a start -- see Harrisburg.
By more restaurants/clubs I believe you mean, productive ones. There are a lot of fine restaurants in the city right now that are scraping to get by due to low number of patrons. The Good Life Cafe and Wine Cellar, The Timeless Cafe, Quesa Deeas, and Trattoria Frattelli are some of them that I have at least enjoyed. These are all located in the downtown area with exception to Frattelli's. Two of these are more of a lunch time establishment, more than they are a go out for dinner with friends or dates. It would be nice to see an establishment that provides the atmosphere that I am assuming you would expect from a restaurant. Clubs have been tried and tried again within the city and they always fail miserably. Then you have people on here talking about how they need to get rid of them and so on and so on. Who wants to invest in something that is going to get all of the negative reactions within a short amount of time that it's there? I know I wouldn't... Let's see what this mayor will do, once again you all voted or didn't vote for/against her. Someone could also ask the daily news to do a full interview with Capello to find out her entire agenda, instead of just reading articles sporadically that only talk about certain topics she plans on tackling and then bashing her because she didn't say every single time she talked to the paper that she wants to stop the crime, help education, and fix the budget. Hell I think it would only benefit her to put everything she wants to attempt in the paper. This way everyone will be in the light as to what's doing. Just my opinion...
Clancy

Lancaster, PA

#10 Nov 5, 2009
Did you seriously just quote Wikipedia? Priceless.

So let me get this straight, Angry Local Resident: you're angry about the current state of Lebanon (I'm assuming specifically the City but more generally the County as well), but you're also angry at anyone who would try to improve it? You question the validity of an election where "less than 10%" of the city population (your numbers) votes, but you also object to the caliber of people "moving into Lebanon" - which, If I'm understanding your implications, are low-income, non-white, non-voters? You want crime cleaned up, but you're opposed to the very economic development that would generate the revenue streams to combat crime?

You can't have both ways, Wiki. You either want the city to die, or you want the city to live. Frankly we'd probably all be better off not having wet blankets like you around to p!ss on our fires.

And as for the new mayor not addressing crime, drugs and failing schools...well, maybe I'll give you a pass for expecting an 800 word intro story to cover all Lebanon's ills. After all, Wikipedia nailed the Revolutionary War dead to rights in just over 9,000.

You make me laugh...
Phineas

Harrisburg, PA

#11 Nov 5, 2009
For those that are bashing Wikipedia. It may not always have facts but there are sources cited where the information originally came from. Usually it states if the source is unverified or not. In the case of the Lebanon High School, the quotes came form the Superintendent's little memo on the Districts page. However it has since been updated so who knows. The fact of the matter is that LHS is now broadcast to millions of people via the internet, and that criticism is what they will all see; whether it is true or not. It's tougher to make yourself look good when already judged bad.

Since: Aug 09

Lebanon, PA

#12 Nov 5, 2009
Go to http://www.greatschools.net/ and look up the city schools. You'll see that they rank well below the state average based on test scores.

All would be incorrect in assuming that I am some how opposed to non-whites moving into the city. The fact that this is assumed operates under a prejudicial bias that those seeking social services programs are predominantly non-white which is certainly not the case.

Why would anyone assume that the "lower-class" doesn't vote?

I simply challenged her response in the article. Young people are moving out of the city into the surrounding communities and I'm sure they aren't doing it because of the night life that these communities have to offer. Is it because of the poor school performance and violence the students face in the city schools? Is it because of crime and drugs on our city streets? Is it because our neighborhoods are falling into ruin at the hands of slumlords and tenants who do not respect the neighborhoods they live in?

Thinking outside the box is wonderful but it will be difficult to attract any new business until we start looking at the problems in this city seriously and start addressing them directly.
LSD

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Nov 5, 2009
The Lebanon School District provides an education just like any other school district in the county. It's up to the student to decide whether they want an education or not.

It's hard for the students to be proficient in any subject when they cannot read, write or understand English.

Many of the students show no desire to learn which begins with their home life. When the students see their parents sitting at home doing nothing and collecting welfare, what exactly would be their incentive to get an education? My parents don't work and generate an income so why should I care when I can do the same thing? The students simply do not care.

The students are more interested in skipping school, beating each other up, smoking, being disrespectful, and the list goes on.

When the district tries to intervene with these matters, the first people to complain are the parents. They say the district is singling out their child for being truant, skipping school, failing their classes. Why don't the security guards catch the kids as they are leaving school? The same parents who complain to the school about not doing anything would file a lawsuit against the district for catching and disciplining the kids. You want the district to act but yet you bind their hands?

The district is not the parent, they provide an education. You can take any teacher from any district in the county and put them in the classroom in the Lebanon School District and the results will be the same.

Imagine if you a teacher in a classroom of 30 kids of any grade level, who don't want to be there and could care less. Tell me your results will be better? You can teach them until you are mentally and physically drained, but if the students refuse to learn, there is nothing more you can do.
Drew Hawthorne

Pottstown, PA

#14 Nov 5, 2009
How about trying to attract business and get rid of the vagrants living off welfare and eating up tax dollars? How about increasing a police presence and cracking down on the crime in the city. We don't need more nightlife, we need to get the homies and hoodlums off the streets. It's a little disheartening to hear that the mayor is "reading up on" and studying how to be a mayor. Wasn't there someone available who already knows what they are doing. Just what we need, a learning on the job mayor. God help us!
guardian

United States

#15 Nov 5, 2009
Drew Hawthorne wrote:
How about trying to attract business and get rid of the vagrants living off welfare and eating up tax dollars? How about increasing a police presence and cracking down on the crime in the city. We don't need more nightlife, we need to get the homies and hoodlums off the streets. It's a little disheartening to hear that the mayor is "reading up on" and studying how to be a mayor. Wasn't there someone available who already knows what they are doing. Just what we need, a learning on the job mayor. God help us!
I tend to agree look what we have in the white house. But the last mayor did a crappy job so we can only hope it is not like the president and we end up far worse off.
southsider

Manheim, PA

#16 Nov 6, 2009
She did have an opponent, her name was trish ward......forget about her already?
She will do something wrote:
No worries, Capello will do something.....she will do whatever she can to make sure her friends are taken care of and the lower class will pay for it. I hope she's not really celebrating this win considering she didn't have an opponent, how hard is it to come in first? Let the gloating not commence.<quoted text>
so sad

Seymour, IN

#17 Nov 8, 2009
Lebanon will never be the way it was when we were kids! Miss the old Lebanon
Mr Know it all

Media, PA

#18 Nov 8, 2009
I Miss the old Lebanon also !!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beverly smith Jul 20 Rick leitzel 1
News BREAKING NEWS: Fired city cop fires back with l... (Dec '08) Jul 8 well 209
News Jury reaches split verdict in drug trial of two... (Sep '09) Jul 7 Mr fuxk your girl 7
Vehicle accident route 72 Mannheim 7/2/16 Jul 6 Rich62 2
News Woman who fought with Lebanon cops sent to prison Jun '16 LionTamer 1
judge kline is an idot (Oct '10) Jun '16 Disgusted also 134
Review: On The Corner Grocery (Oct '12) Jun '16 Goodluck 19

Lebanon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lebanon Mortgages