Oak Street Bistro
frequent diner

Belfast, ME

#1 Jan 1, 2009
My wife and I recently went to the new Bistro that opened in Alfred Maine. It was once Leedys that closed on very bad terms. When i arrived I was shocked at the transformation. Wow, what a job they did. It was real nice and the food was great. I also liked the fact that the owners are there and come to the table and ask how everything is. They are definitely doing it right. I didnt even think I was in the Sanford area anymore. If you have tried the Oak Street Bistro, I strongly suggest you try it. The prime rib was the best I have ever had. And the pricing is very reasonable.
community member

Keene, NH

#2 Jan 22, 2009
It is so nice to have a quality, restaurant in the area that gives people a chance to casually dine and even go to for a special ocassion. The atmosphere is comfortable for couples and family alike. With a menu price compareable to all the chain restaurants, and much more individual choices and service, we as an area would be foolish not to try to keep it in business. Go! Try it yourself! It's great!
by chance diner

Apo, AE

#3 Feb 25, 2009
My wife and I recently moved to the area by chance stopped by the Oak Street Bistro. In a word excellent. The wait staff is young and trying hard to do things right, it shows and they are very nice. Very good menu, food prepared to order and excellent - must be one very good chef and kitchen staff. The lounge is very nice and the bartender I chatted with was very good. The owner I met made me believe he did care how my meal was ... prices very good. Nice fit from casual meal, lunch or dinner, or a celebration event.
Jim in Alfred

Raymond, ME

#4 Jun 10, 2009
We really are thrilled to have a first class restaurant here in the middle of town. The food is good. The wait staff is great. The owners are in the store. Its well worth the drive...from anywhere in the Greater Portland, Kennebunk area. They have a large room for private parties also.. perfect for birthdays.
Caitlin

Sanford, ME

#5 Aug 8, 2009
My husband and I had our rehearsal dinner at Oak Street in July. James was extremely accommodating as we chose our dinner picks. We ended up going with a cheeseburger, fried haddock sandwich, and chicken blt, along with several delicious appetizers. We had many relatives and guests from out of state, so we wanted to give them a little taste of Maine while visiting. James put together crab cakes that were perfect. We were so very happy with the prompt and friendly service, along with the delicious meals and drinks. The ambiance and atmosphere of the restaurant was perfect for a rehearsal dinner. The best part of the night however, was the whoopie pie cake James and his staff created. Many of our out of state guests had never had whoopie pies, so James surprised us by putting together an amazing whoopie pie cake to end our meal.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Oak Street Bistro. Thank you so James and all the staff for making our rehearsal dinner absolutely perfect.
Rich in Alfred ME

Roslyn, NY

#6 Sep 16, 2009
This place is a RARITY. James and Donnie have put a lot of heart and soul into this formerly abandoned place. Expect a warm welcome from the owner, a traditional menu (all from scratch in-house), a tasteful mission-inspired interior with subtle music (a grand piano), and a pleasant evening. Don't expect chain prices, but the slight increase over chain prices is reflected many times over in the quality of the food, and presentation.
fussy one

Raymond, ME

#7 Sep 18, 2009
If you can please me, you can please anyone. Okay, I'm fussy. Get over it. I like good food. I expect good service. I got both. It makes me made when I can't find something to bitch about.
Maineiac

Flushing, NY

#8 Sep 20, 2009
Oak Street Bistro is a comfortable, inviting and stylish restaurant on the town green in Alfred, Maine. I eat there often because of the reliably high quality of the food, the outgoing and friendly management, and the excellent service. I like their clam chowder and seafood, particularly their fried oysters. Deserts are oversized and lavish, particularly the brownie sundae and their popular bread pudding. It's a lovely, unpretentious place to visit often and enjoy.
hungry1

Raymond, ME

#9 Oct 18, 2009
Alfred is very lucky to have a restaurant of this quality right in the middle of town. I see people from Kennebunk and Portland here on a regular basis. Their Sunday night specials are an exceptional bargain.
Donnie Collins

Westbrook, ME

#10 Oct 21, 2009
Dear Customers,

On Thursday October 15, 2009 a customer with a service dog and her grandmother entered Oak Street Bistro. They were greeted and promptly seated at a table in one of our dining rooms. Before any customer receives a menu we wait until they are fully seated and comfortable with the table and surroundings.
To my surprise our server came to me and said that while taking their order that the customer felt she was discriminated against. I went to the table to address her complaint. The customer started to express her feelings regarding the table where she was sat in our dining room.[The customer never once mentioned her unhappiness with her accommodations when I sat her. And actually the grandmother said that she sat at that table before and all seemed fine] I was barely able to speak and when I did, her dog started to growl and bark. The customer told me that the dog didn’t like me. I then left the dining room as I didn’t want to cause a disturbance with the other guests. If you have been to our restaurant you know that we don’t have a backroom, only beautiful and comfortable dining rooms.
I went outside to check on the new lawn that was being installed and within 5 minutes, two of our servers ran out to tell me that other customers were complaining about the customer with the dog, I asked why, and the servers told me that the customer was parading her dog around the dining room from table to table crying and telling everyone she was being discriminated against. We politely asked her to please take her seat as her food was at the table, and her grandmother was already eating. She began to start yelling and was very disruptive to the other guests. Again she was asked to please take her seat and have her lunch that her food was already there. She began yelling to me that she was treated unfairly and I told her if she was going to continue to yell and disturb other patrons she would have to leave. She chose to leave.
Once outside, the customer called the state police. While waiting for them to arrive, my partner noticed her pleading her case to other patrons leaving the restaurant. At which point a group of three ladies told her she was out of line and that she disturbed them. One lady told her she was allergic to dogs and didn’t appreciate her bringing the dog to her table. The police officer arrived and after several minutes of interviewing the customer and me, asked to see the table where the customer was sat. Once outside my partner asked the police officer for his findings. The officer said that there were no laws broken and there was nothing worthy of a report.
First and foremost we never discriminated against this lady or any one else. Furthermore I would like to say to the customer that “You and your dog are always welcome” and we are sorry that she felt discriminated against. We have served numerous people with all different types of disabilities and have taken several steps to accommodate everyone. During our remodel, we enlarged our bathrooms and poured concrete to level several areas in the building to make this restaurant more handicap accessible and comfortable.

Our regreats,

Donnie Collins
Oak Street Bistro
Doris Ballard

Somersworth, NH

#11 Nov 1, 2009
Regarding the lady with the service dog ...

First of all, I want to commend you for actually taking this into the public forum. Good for you! There are people that actually TRY to be disruptive, and charge "discrimination" at the drop of a hat ... the less reason they have for the actual complaint, the louder they get. People like that are LOOKING for a reason, and there's nothing you can do to please them. Nothing. I'm not sure that I would not have had her removed much more quickly - probably as soon as the other patrons began to be disturbed. I would have polite, but quite firm, and would possibly even have called the police before she did. I won't go on and on, but that sort of behavior is *not acceptable*; pandering to it only makes it worse.

Now ... as far as the Bistro is concerned ...

I've been going to the original Leedy's since 1965, and was in love with the place for decades. When they went out of business, I was desolate! When they reopened under new management, the new group had some LARGE shoes to fill, and didn't measure up. I was a little leery of trying the Bistro because of that ...

... however, we were amazed to walk into a gorgeously redone restaurant, with a very peaceful and warm atmosphere. While we were there, there two huge groups celebrating events, and they seemed to be very happy with the rooms/service.

The menu seemed a bit brief, but it only SEEMED that way once things were explained to us. I enjoyed my first prime rib in more than a decade, and it was the tastiest, tenderest prime rib I can ever remember having. It was juicy, since it had obviously been prepared FRESH and had never been frozen, and it was a very nice size, especially for the price!

There were 4 us, and we each seriously enjoyed our meals!:o)

My son has chosen to go back there today for his birthday meal. It's the first time he's ever chosen something that wasn't Chinese!*LOL* He's a chef, by the way. So - we'll be there tonight, and I intend to have more of the prime rib I've been dreaming about since our first visit!

I'm awfully glad that you've opened up the Bistro ... we're going to be regular customers again, just like we were with Leedy's.

Thanks a lot for everything!
Doris Ballard

PS ... only 1 comment ... there were only two desserts the day we went, both were some sort of fruit cobbler. A bit of variety on the desert would be nice, however, the dinner was so good that even if there were no desserts on the menu at all, I would still be a faithful customer.

Sunday, November 1, 2009
chris

Biddeford, ME

#12 Dec 27, 2009
Donnie Collins wrote:
Dear Customers,
On Thursday October 15, 2009 a customer with a service dog and her grandmother entered Oak Street Bistro. They were greeted and promptly seated at a table in one of our dining rooms. Before any customer receives a menu we wait until they are fully seated and comfortable with the table and surroundings.
To my surprise our server came to me and said that while taking their order that the customer felt she was discriminated against. I went to the table to address her complaint. The customer started to express her feelings regarding the table where she was sat in our dining room.[The customer never once mentioned her unhappiness with her accommodations when I sat her. And actually the grandmother said that she sat at that table before and all seemed fine] I was barely able to speak and when I did, her dog started to growl and bark. The customer told me that the dog didn’t like me. I then left the dining room as I didn’t want to cause a disturbance with the other guests. If you have been to our restaurant you know that we don’t have a backroom, only beautiful and comfortable dining rooms.
I went outside to check on the new lawn that was being installed and within 5 minutes, two of our servers ran out to tell me that other customers were complaining about the customer with the dog, I asked why, and the servers told me that the customer was parading her dog around the dining room from table to table crying and telling everyone she was being discriminated against. We politely asked her to please take her seat as her food was at the table, and her grandmother was already eating. She began to start yelling and was very disruptive to the other guests. Again she was asked to please take her seat and have her lunch that her food was already there. She began yelling to me that she was treated unfairly and I told her if she was going to continue to yell and disturb other patrons she would have to leave. She chose to leave.
Once outside, the customer called the state police. While waiting for them to arrive, my partner noticed her pleading her case to other patrons leaving the restaurant. At which point a group of three ladies told her she was out of line and that she disturbed them. One lady told her she was allergic to dogs and didn’t appreciate her bringing the dog to her table. The police officer arrived and after several minutes of interviewing the customer and me, asked to see the table where the customer was sat. Once outside my partner asked the police officer for his findings. The officer said that there were no laws broken and there was nothing worthy of a report.
First and foremost we never discriminated against this lady or any one else. Furthermore I would like to say to the customer that “You and your dog are always welcome” and we are sorry that she felt discriminated against. We have served numerous people with all different types of disabilities and have taken several steps to accommodate everyone. During our remodel, we enlarged our bathrooms and poured concrete to level several areas in the building to make this restaurant more handicap accessible and comfortable.
Our regreats,
Donnie Collins
Oak Street Bistro
you and your restaurant sucks food,service,price,menu,preset ation and donnie get your act together treat the customer good and dont order from sysco,or sigma if you want to charge those outrageous prices donnie collins
Mark

Haverhill, MA

#13 Jan 31, 2010
Stopped here yesterday and had lunch with my wife and two kids. The service was excellent, the food was delicious and the atmosphere was perfect. We will definitely be back. Thank you!
Tim and Janice

Rochester, NH

#14 Feb 21, 2010
Along with many others we were happy patrons of Leedys from the time they opened until they closed. We won't talk about the 1st establishment which tried to replace them. Suffice it to say we did not return after 3 disappointments.
Hooray, hurrah we decided to give it one more try and we could not have been more pleased. The ambiance has been greatly improved and the food is moderately priced and of excellent quality. It is now our favorite, not only for causual dining but we choose it for special occasions as well as family parties.
Don't miss an opportunity to visit Oak Street Bistro. You won,t be disappointed!
Barbara Sanford ME

South Portland, ME

#15 Apr 14, 2010
I love this restaurant, I go there as often as possible, they have a great and varied menu, I cant imagine that woman having a problem, Im handicapped and always ask for the closest table and they always ablige, I love the clean and stylish atmosphere, prices are fine - Im so glad there is finally a good restaurant in the Sanford area.
Donna from Canada

Montréal, Canada

#16 Jul 4, 2010
I was taken to this restaurant by friends from Springvale, while visiting the area in June.
Upon entering the establishment I was immediately impressed with the tasteful arts and crafts decor. Loved the display of lamps for sale in the foyer.
The diningroom was cosy yet very spacious.
The food was, in a word, excellent. Good sized portions, refined touches, great service.
I can't wait to go back and have my coffee by the fireplace this winter.
Well done, a real find.
Eileen from Alfred

Peaks Island, ME

#17 Jul 20, 2010
I recently brought my elderly mother and aunt to the Bistro, and as luck would have it, we were there on Italian night! They were both delighted by the strolling accordian player, who was very charming and catered to their taste for old time music. The menu offerings were great, including the choices for the special Italian dinner,(including appetizer and dessert)which was a great value. I'm so happy this restaurant has been resurrected to an even higher standard than Leedys, and I give a lot of credit to the owners for taking a chance on Alfred. Believe me, it is the only good restaurant in this area.
Paul L

Windham, ME

#18 Jun 3, 2011
Had a miserable night at the Bistro. the mussels were not cooked right, my wife ordered a second drink and they screwed that up and then the owner acted like a detective ..like we did something wrong. It is a very well liked place but it simply not great .. It's just a middle of the week place that tries to be better then they really are.
Rachel Mitchell

Sanford, ME

#19 Jul 15, 2013
My husband and I are summer residents in the Sanford area and we love the Oak Street Bistro. The food is fabulous, the wine list is superb, and the bar drinks are perfect. We have eaten there countless numbers of times and we have never been disappointed in our meals. In fact, it's a go to place when we have guests visiting and even returning guests are asking to go to Oak Street. The restaurant is beautifully decorated which makes it a treat to eat in such lovely surroundings. James and his entire staff are cordial and do all they can to make the dining experince enjoyable. If you haven't been to Oak St. go and enjoy being served in an upscale restaurant with the friendliness of a small town.
granwhiz

Farmington, NH

#20 Dec 12, 2014
terrible service, the service gave me the wrong food and my friends order was never even put in. We were not compensated and were still charged the tip! The manager never came over ! I would never recommend this place!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sanford, The Armpit of Maine (Dec '08) Sun Smack 79
News 'Someone is thinking of you as you begin your j... (Oct '10) May 10 johnthegreat 5
Issues with town (Jul '13) Jan '18 Adam 6
Justin Harris (Mar '06) Aug '16 Tired in Sanford 77
Lebanon Maine Transfer Station Needs Hand Raili... (Apr '11) Jun '16 chico 5
Jason Cole (Jan '14) Jun '16 chico 24
Interesting Story (Apr '15) Apr '15 Lawless 1

Lebanon Jobs

Personal Finance

Lebanon Mortgages