Why is sagging of the pants a popular...

Why is sagging of the pants a popular trend?

Posted in the Lebanon Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
dead weight

Bowling Green, KY

#1 Sep 19, 2008
Let's NOT turn this into another racist topic because we all know that not every black person sags their pants and not every white person who does it isn't trying to be black. This is simply a debate on why people do it. Race has nothing to do with it.

This came to mind because I can't think of one reason why anybody would want their pants down to their knees. It seems very inconvenient because the people who wear their pants this way are always holding their pants up so they won't fall down (Also note: THEY HAVE A BELT. Why don't they use it??)
looks awful

Caneyville, KY

#2 Sep 19, 2008
Sagging of the pants looks awful. It does not make a person look taller by lowering the pants. I surely do not want to look at somebody's underpants. There have been incidents that I have seen that the person's pants actually falll down. This is not something that I want my young children to see. Put your pants where the belong and use a belt to keep them up.
Lyra

Greensburg, KY

#3 Sep 19, 2008
I don't think they care if they fall down..or if they show their butt. i've seen that too. they all look like they are wearing pants that belong to a 200 pound man or something. i just don't get it either..it just looks uncomfortable and a nuicance (sp?)
bad joke

Lexington, KY

#4 Sep 19, 2008
take the g off of sagging and you get saggin.... spell it backwards...

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

#5 Sep 19, 2008
If only they knew what that meant in prison.
Rabbit hunter

Winchester, KY

#6 Sep 19, 2008
bad joke wrote:
take the g off of sagging and you get saggin.... spell it backwards...
once again we got an ignorant person making comments. Like I said, before the fad was in farmers and their farm boys sagged their overalls, and plumbers always show a lil crack. So get your stuff straight, stupid lil boy and not all blacks wear sagging pants, just the stupid ass one's who think it's cool and think that anything they see on T.V. that they think is "Gangsta" is the right thing to do. Everyone should at least try to be gentleman like.

“I have no headline.”

Since: Jun 08

Lebanon

#7 Sep 19, 2008
I saw some guys running to catch a bus and they were holding their pants up. It was hilarious... they sure are some gangstas.
Rabbit hunter

Winchester, KY

#8 Sep 19, 2008
Wanna be gangstas. Get that correct. Ain't no gangstas around here. Everybody around here talks a big game, and fights people that are no contest. You know how it is.
andy

Lexington, KY

#9 Sep 19, 2008
i doubt these wanna be cool dudes know that the sagging britches started in prison. prisoners wear their pants like that to let other men know they want some.
princess of darkness

Lexington, KY

#10 Sep 19, 2008
they wear them like that so they can kick them off faster and have sex.
Lennon

Vilonia, AR

#11 Sep 19, 2008
Andy wrote:
i doubt these wanna be cool dudes know that the sagging britches started in prison. prisoners wear their pants like that to let other men know they want some.
it started in the prison system in the 1960.
high school friend

Cecilia, KY

#12 Sep 20, 2008
triple6vamp wrote:
If only they knew what that meant in prison.
in prison when someone sags their pants it shows ownership to another guy....from what ive heard i dont know ive never been to prison lol
haha

Hodgenville, KY

#13 Sep 20, 2008
We are so broke we just cant afford a belt, Thats all
Verona

Hodgenville, KY

#14 Sep 20, 2008
It's hilarious-they look like they have number 2 in their pants. Seems like it would drive you crazy and everyone is laughing when they walk by. Go figure.

“Disrespect Is Prohibited”

Lebanon KY

#15 Sep 20, 2008
Why are people so ignorant??? Hmm lets think, not all people appreciate the same styles of clothing. This is why there are hundreds of different clothing stores.

Now for all those who really think people started the sagging pants in prison as so type of gay trait, your WRONG!!! Wearing of the pants off the hips was created by urban america NOT BLACKS OR PRISONERS!!! It was started by people who wore clothes a few sizes too big to make it easy to hide items and weapons. It grew from there to be a city style primarally for those in the projects and from there grew to suburban america for people who thought it looked cool!!!

Now i am a white as you can see from my picture. I wear the tall t-shirts, and the baggy jeans, and the flat bill caps. Why is the concept of this style so offensive?? I do wear a belt with my pants so they dont fall off, but i wear my pants off my hips because i dont want my crotch invaded by denim!!! I appologize for not being a redneck with the tight wrangler jeans showing off the seam in my jeans splitting my nut sack!!! And to correct all those who belive the prison rumor of the sagging pants, individuals who were offended by the saggy pants people made that up. Do you really think people would develop a style based on homosexual actions??? Now your thinking for yourself and not listening to incompetent morons!!!
Not nice to call

Vilonia, AR

#16 Sep 20, 2008
Call the prison in St. Marys and ask for the Chief of Security. Ask if it is wrong . Another thing you shouldn't being calling people a moron.Guess everyone has an opinion,but someone that has worked in the prison system for 14 years should know,maybe we are morons because we take care of people that want to hurt you and society.

“Disrespect Is Prohibited”

Lebanon KY

#17 Sep 20, 2008
Not nice to call wrote:
Call the prison in St. Marys and ask for the Chief of Security. Ask if it is wrong . Another thing you shouldn't being calling people a moron.Guess everyone has an opinion,but someone that has worked in the prison system for 14 years should know,maybe we are morons because we take care of people that want to hurt you and society.
Yea ok!!! Youve worked in prisons for 14 yrs and think you know about an urban legend that was started in the 60's???

The prison in St. Marys is Marion Adjustment Center. If you worked there im sure you would have known that. Im sure you would have also known that it is a minimum security facility meaning that not too many violent people are there. MAC is the vacation resort of prisons. And all this time i gave you people too much credit!!!
Lennon

Vilonia, AR

#18 Sep 20, 2008
Ha coop--- Go to Snopes.com :sag harbored and settle the arguement. Get the real scoop Dawg.
just listening

Huntsville, TX

#19 Sep 20, 2008
The Real COOP DAWG wrote:
Why are people so ignorant??? Hmm lets think, not all people appreciate the same styles of clothing. This is why there are hundreds of different clothing stores.
Now for all those who really think people started the sagging pants in prison as so type of gay trait, your WRONG!!! Wearing of the pants off the hips was created by urban america NOT BLACKS OR PRISONERS!!! It was started by people who wore clothes a few sizes too big to make it easy to hide items and weapons. It grew from there to be a city style primarally for those in the projects and from there grew to suburban america for people who thought it looked cool!!!
Now i am a white as you can see from my picture. I wear the tall t-shirts, and the baggy jeans, and the flat bill caps. Why is the concept of this style so offensive?? I do wear a belt with my pants so they dont fall off, but i wear my pants off my hips because i dont want my crotch invaded by denim!!! I appologize for not being a redneck with the tight wrangler jeans showing off the seam in my jeans splitting my nut sack!!! And to correct all those who belive the prison rumor of the sagging pants, individuals who were offended by the saggy pants people made that up. Do you really think people would develop a style based on homosexual actions??? Now your thinking for yourself and not listening to incompetent morons!!!
Actually, the style did originate in prisons, but not to signal sexual avaiilability, but because prisoners weren't issued belts (for obvious reasons) and their pants would sag. This style was then adopted by rap artists to enhance their "tough" image, and then mainstreamed into urban Americana.

Do a little research. Easy to find facts with sites like snopes.com and factfinder.
Snopes Fan

Coolidge, TX

#20 Sep 20, 2008
And snopes for the win.... http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.... It DID start in the prisons, but not for the reasons most thought of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fun 53 min Hmmm 3
Fiscal court 1 hr Hilarious 37
Their is a person that calls herself Real 91 he... 5 hr Maraget 12
Can you find out who post stuff on topix (Feb '14) 5 hr Jack 12
how to beat the heat (Jun '10) Wed Skeeter 7
Fiscal Court Disgrace Wed Austin 3 16 13
Dakota Pittman Tue Really91 16

Lebanon Jobs

Personal Finance

Lebanon Mortgages