GUN CONTROL! A Columbine's Father on ...

GUN CONTROL! A Columbine's Father on Gun Control

Posted in the Lebanon Forum

Since: Aug 12

Hodgenville, KY

#1 Dec 17, 2012
A COLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER ! Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High shootings, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.
They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, teacher, and politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words, spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal.
The following is a portion of the transcript:
"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good &evil in the hearts of man. We all contain the seeds of kindness or of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.
"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.
"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended.
I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this very room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

"Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!"

"Men and women are three-part beings. consisting of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries.
What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and thus, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws.
Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors or gun laws. They spent months planning this massacre. The real villain lies within their hearts.
"As my son Craig lay under that table in the library and saw his two friends murdered before his eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School, prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him.
To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I challenge you to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!
My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
- Darrell Scott

Hodgenville, KY

#2 Dec 17, 2012
Mr Scott didnt worry about the thoughts of the law makerd when he told them it was mostly their fault did he? GOD BLESS HIM!
preacher

United States

#3 Dec 20, 2012
Kellso wrote:
Mr Scott didnt worry about the thoughts of the law makerd when he told them it was mostly their fault did he? GOD BLESS HIM!
AAAAAAAAAmen!!!!
preacher

United States

#4 Dec 20, 2012
Kellso wrote:
A COLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER ! Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High shootings, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.
They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, teacher, and politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words, spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal.
The following is a portion of the transcript:
"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good &evil in the hearts of man. We all contain the seeds of kindness or of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.
"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.
"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended.
I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this very room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.
"Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!"
"Men and women are three-part beings. consisting of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries.
What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and thus, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws.
Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors or gun laws. They spent months planning this massacre. The real villain lies within their hearts.
"As my son Craig lay under that table in the library and saw his two friends murdered before his eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School, prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him.
My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
- Darrell Scott
AAAAmen and AAAAAmen!!!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#5 Dec 21, 2012
gun control is a myth. no one knows exactly how many guns are in the u.s. or who has them. i don't have a gun but if i wanted one bad enough i could just steal one.

adam lanza broke the law when he murdered his mom, stole her guns, crossed state lines with stolen guns, possessed a handgun as a 20yr old, trespassed on school property, brought a gun onto school property, destroyed property by breaking through the school door and on top of all of that...walking into a school and murdering 26 people is already against the law.

will passing more laws really make this unthinkable act any MORE illegal?...so go ahead lawmakers, pass more laws...pass 10 or 20 laws if it makes you feel better.
NRA

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Dec 21, 2012
Good point. Congress is under the mistaken impression that the law applies to criminals.
gun owner

Bardstown, KY

#7 Dec 21, 2012
Old saying (when you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns)gun laws wont stop armed intruders only guns will!!!

Leitchfield, KY

#8 Dec 22, 2012
It is human nature to lash out aw ANYTHING OR ANYONE that is close enough to you when there is a hurtful situation. Just like an animal that is severly injured, they will bite or lashout at what ever is close to them when it happens. Society i slooking for SOMETHIGN to blame this terrable incident on and 'guns' is the target. Society refuses to look within its make up to see that todays civilization is the problem and not the tools used.
Heal the young minds, put some sort of control on the weapons of massdestruction and let normal guns alone! Change society to let young minds grow up and not be brainwashed with violent video games that sensationalize killing killing killing and movies that warp young minds with blowing up stuff with transformets and such. Let a young mind absorb the right things and stop pressing them harder and harder and harder with useless crap that is mandated in the public school systems today. If we raise kids with healthy morals and sound minds, only a very very few incidents would happen. I say "SOCIETY, HEAL THYSELF!"
no more lies

Willowbrook, IL

#9 Jan 16, 2013
Testimony was not 12 years later. Testimony was in may of 1999.
Mortgage Mom

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Jan 16, 2013
I support re-instituting the assault weapons ban. Since it expired (with no action) 10 years ago under the Bush administration, random mass murders have doubled in size and frequency. We want these horrific acts of violence to stop, and we demand our government to provide a solution. Changing a society doesn't happen overnight, no one wants to take your personal defense or hunting weapon. Drunk driving used to take the live of thousands of innocents. So our government instituted strict laws and penalties, and reduced drunk driving fatalities by 2/3rds in one generation. This type of gun control does not reduce murder rates, but it DOES reduce mass murder rates. It's a safety we used to have, but gave up to the individual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tyler gribbins 16 min Girl 3
What do u think about Deputy Sherriff Courtney ... (Oct '13) 43 min Girl 13
Brianna mays 48 min Girl 2
Elise Gribbins 59 min Girl 2
whats going on at five star 2 hr Abc 9
Dylan McIntyre 22 hr kylee86 3
Mitchell Jeffries Tue Brookhaven 54
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lebanon Mortgages