To tip or not to tip hairdressers

To tip or not to tip hairdressers

Posted in the Lebanon Forum

wigged out

Campbellsville, KY

#1 Aug 25, 2012
We are always informed on how we should tip people that do a service for us. My last haircut in this town cost 30.00. When anyone ask me what they should go to school for, I tell them to become a barber or beautician, highest paid job around even though, they whine about "no benefits". There are people busting their behinds making 9.00-15.00/hr but these poor people that do a service for you make 20.00-30.00/hr and some as high as 60.00/hr when they have coloring/haircuts going on at the same time. They can drive top notch vehicles but they don't have any benefits? So yes, please be sure that you tip your hairdresser well and don't forget them at Christmas either!!!

Now let's discuss housecleaners. They do a really "dirty" service for us. I have never read that these people should be tipped, given raises, or Christmas gifts. I guess our homes are not as important as our hair.
Haha

Campbellsville, KY

#2 Aug 25, 2012
wigged out wrote:
We are always informed on how we should tip people that do a service for us. My last haircut in this town cost 30.00. When anyone ask me what they should go to school for, I tell them to become a barber or beautician, highest paid job around even though, they whine about "no benefits". There are people busting their behinds making 9.00-15.00/hr but these poor people that do a service for you make 20.00-30.00/hr and some as high as 60.00/hr when they have coloring/haircuts going on at the same time. They can drive top notch vehicles but they don't have any benefits? So yes, please be sure that you tip your hairdresser well and don't forget them at Christmas either!!!
Now let's discuss housecleaners. They do a really "dirty" service for us. I have never read that these people should be tipped, given raises, or Christmas gifts. I guess our homes are not as important as our hair.
Sounds to me like your a crybaby and jealous of people doing good for themselves. If you don't like what u have to pay then go somewhere else. If u don't like your pay then do something about it. My mother is a hairdresser and she is on her feet sometimes more than 10hr a day and she works hard for her money. Instead of b!tchin and complaining on topic you should be trying to better yourself so your not such a jealous cry tit. Have a nice day.:)
Mortgage Mom

Greensburg, KY

#3 Aug 25, 2012
Tipping etiquette can be tricky, especially with hairdressers. You are not required to tip an owner or manager, only the workers renting space in the salon. I usually tip 20% when I'm happy, more when I'm thrilled.
welp

Pine Mountain, GA

#4 Aug 26, 2012
I could see tipping someone for fitting a customer in for an unscheduled visit, or showing up at a wedding to prep everyone, etc... but if a service costs $20, $40, $60 bucks, that's what it is.

“life is what you make of it.”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#5 Aug 28, 2012
wigged out wrote:

well I am a hairdresser, I work 40-60hrs a week and most franchises only pay commission which in most cases is no more than 50%. So if you want to get technical about it, we don't make any more than the rest of you do. On average my check for a 2wk period is no more than 400-500 bring home. How do you say we make more than most?
wigged out

Huntsville, TX

#6 Aug 30, 2012
Haha wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds to me like your a crybaby and jealous of people doing good for themselves. If you don't like what u have to pay then go somewhere else. If u don't like your pay then do something about it. My mother is a hairdresser and she is on her feet sometimes more than 10hr a day and she works hard for her money. Instead of b!tchin and complaining on topic you should be trying to better yourself so your not such a jealous cry tit. Have a nice day.:)
I do have a good job but..........I don't make 30-60/hr. yes you are right - i should go back to school to become a hairdresser!! thanks for the tip.

“life is what you make of it.”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#7 Aug 30, 2012
wigged out wrote:
<quoted text>I do have a good job but..........I don't make 30-60/hr. yes you are right - i should go back to school to become a hairdresser!! thanks for the tip.
name a single hairdresser in Lebanon tht stays completely booked from open to close every day that cashes out on 30-60$/hr. just because someone does a haircut that costs you $30 or a color that cost you $100 doesn't mean that's what they take home nim-rod. You may be the ONLY client or service that particular stylist does that day. Ever thought about that?? Do yourself a favor, ask a couple hairdressers around town that work for a franchise what they make and if you should tip them, any one of them would be more than happy to inform you for what we pay back to be a cosmetologist, it's not very high paying of a job. Minimum wage baby, if you're just starting out fresh or recently started at a new salon. Not everyone makes a whole lot unless they have a fantastic clientele built.
caster

Elizabethtown, KY

#8 Sep 18, 2012
_princess1_ wrote:
<quoted text>
name a single hairdresser in Lebanon tht stays completely booked from open to close every day that cashes out on 30-60$/hr. just because someone does a haircut that costs you $30 or a color that cost you $100 doesn't mean that's what they take home nim-rod. You may be the ONLY client or service that particular stylist does that day. Ever thought about that?? Do yourself a favor, ask a couple hairdressers around town that work for a franchise what they make and if you should tip them, any one of them would be more than happy to inform you for what we pay back to be a cosmetologist, it's not very high paying of a job. Minimum wage baby, if you're just starting out fresh or recently started at a new salon. Not everyone makes a whole lot unless they have a fantastic clientele built.
Most will have a hard time getting their clientele built since they move around so much. I can't keep up with who is where. I get tired chasin a hair dresser all over town.
Fact

Lebanon, KY

#9 Sep 20, 2012
Yes, tip!! I think anyone appreciates an extra thanks for a job well done! Even if its just a dollar or two - the thought counts!
Rico

Campbellsville, KY

#10 Oct 2, 2012
I allwees teep!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Long Lost Family Member 7 hr Chas 3
Kayla!! 8 hr the real lexi 34
Don Franklin Lebanon 16 hr Auto helper 2
Judge David Daugherty 18 hr China numba quann 56
chasers Fri educator 6
white people who act black (Jun '09) Fri Jty2 128
William Carl Mattingly (Sep '08) Mar 23 Sun shine 5

Lebanon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance