Lay Away at Walmart
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
backwoods barbie

Winchester, KY

#1 Nov 22, 2008
Does anyone else think they should bring back lay away at walmart even if its just for christmas?
Lennon

Centerville, TX

#2 Nov 22, 2008
Yes.allot of people are on a fixed income and that's the only way they have to buy Christmas.

Since: Jul 08

Danville, KY

#3 Nov 22, 2008
I agree. Especially with the way the economy is right now. Lots of ppl are living paycheck to paycheck and it would be hard for them to come directly out of pocket for gifts. As rich as the Wal-Mart corp is, even if they loose out on a lil money from ppl returning layaways I don't think that it'll cause enough damage to cause them to go bankrupt.

“kassi hour 25/7”

Since: Oct 08

Lebanon

#4 Nov 22, 2008
heck yes, i loved the lay away! too bad k-mart is getting all walmarts lay away customers now...and they have this new thing like when you lay away something you only have to pay $1 the first time
DGA

Bowling Green, KY

#5 Nov 22, 2008
Sears has brought lay away back for Christmas
backwoods barbie

Winchester, KY

#6 Nov 23, 2008
I did kmart layway last year, but they want a payment every week,and i'm on a monthly income so i can't do that., with walmart, you put it in and just had to have it out by a certain date. that made it soo much easier to buy christmas for my kids
Lebanon Ky

Winchester, KY

#7 Nov 24, 2008
backwoods barbie wrote:
I did kmart layway last year, but they want a payment every week,and i'm on a monthly income so i can't do that., with walmart, you put it in and just had to have it out by a certain date. that made it soo much easier to buy christmas for my kids
alot of people did this and never got them out.

“kassi hour 25/7”

Since: Oct 08

Lebanon

#8 Nov 24, 2008
which just made it harder on the people who actually do use it and need it
lost

Trinity, TX

#9 Nov 24, 2008
Yea well my sister did the layaway at k-mart this year for her 2 sons and she went to get the stuff out and it took them over 3 hours to find her stuff that she had put in layaway. Luckily for the employees shes a really soft-spoken patient person cause i woulda gone off
stupid but maybe true

Winchester, KY

#10 Nov 25, 2008
I hear that lay-a-way is comingback in January to Wal-Mart, but how stupid is that. They wait until christmas is over to bring it back.

“ERASE HATE”

Since: Aug 08

Loretto, Ky

#11 Nov 25, 2008
I don't understand the argument that lay-a-way would cost Wal-Mart money if the items were not picked up. Wal-Mart would still have the merchandise to sale, the only thing they would be out would be the few minutes that an associate spent sticking a sticker on the item and putting it in a bin.

It is the hard working people in a community that make Wal-Mart as big as they are, by doing away with the Lay-a-Way it's kind of like a slap in the face to a hard working person, like saying "we don't need you now, we have lots of your money already'

just my opinion

Since: Sep 08

Lexington, KY

#12 Nov 25, 2008
How does layaway save money for the consumer? That's always confused me. You have to pay the same amount regardless of when you pay for it right? Why not just save throughout the year and then do your shopping? What would the difference be?

Since: Nov 08

MC

#13 Nov 25, 2008
I do know that we put stuff on lay away one year. I paid on it every month. We went to get it out before Christmas with our last 20 dollar payment. She scanned my code and the registar popped open. She started handing me money. I was like...I still owe you money...what is going on...She explained that one of the items I bought went on rollback. So I left with my stuff and about $30. I was tickled pink...so what did we do...We walked to the toys and bought some more presents....that was a great day! I was really glad we had put the toy in lay away because they did not have any left on the shelf.

Since: Jul 08

Danville, KY

#14 Nov 25, 2008
-jackinthebox- wrote:
I do know that we put stuff on lay away one year. I paid on it every month. We went to get it out before Christmas with our last 20 dollar payment. She scanned my code and the registar popped open. She started handing me money. I was like...I still owe you money...what is going on...She explained that one of the items I bought went on rollback. So I left with my stuff and about $30. I was tickled pink...so what did we do...We walked to the toys and bought some more presents....that was a great day! I was really glad we had put the toy in lay away because they did not have any left on the shelf.
Ur comment answered someone's question as to how the store lost money. When u went to pick up ur things, they owed u as to if it had been bought the original date of ur layaway then they would've gotten full price for it.
Rich Snob

Huntley, IL

#15 Nov 25, 2008
backwoods barbie wrote:
Does anyone else think they should bring back lay away at walmart even if its just for christmas?
If you have to use lay away...that means you can't afford it !!
playball

Brownsville, KY

#16 Nov 25, 2008
One reason stores stopped with lay away is because it does cost the company money. They have more inventory due to this which means they have to pay their suppliers and then wait on you to pay them. But I'm sure Walmart can afford the cash issue to an extent.
Lebanon

Winchester, KY

#17 Nov 25, 2008
Rich Snob wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have to use lay away...that means you can't afford it !!
Well if you can afford one to two thousand dollars off the bat for a tv or for three kids christmas then why you wastiing your time on here?
DGA

Bowling Green, KY

#18 Nov 25, 2008
Billy Pittman wrote:
I don't understand the argument that lay-a-way would cost Wal-Mart money if the items were not picked up. Wal-Mart would still have the merchandise to sale, the only thing they would be out would be the few minutes that an associate spent sticking a sticker on the item and putting it in a bin.
It is the hard working people in a community that make Wal-Mart as big as they are, by doing away with the Lay-a-Way it's kind of like a slap in the face to a hard working person, like saying "we don't need you now, we have lots of your money already'
just my opinion
Unless it's an expensive television (or something along that line) that has been discontinued or clearanced, so they may not be able to put it back on the shelves, or they may have to sell it at a price way below what they may have originally recieved for it.
wondering

Trinity, TX

#19 Nov 25, 2008
Wal-mart is NOT bringing back the layaway, not now not in Jan. It is a sad but true fact. They have gotten to big for the small people and they want everyone to use the walmart credit card.
jawin

Commerce, GA

#20 Nov 25, 2008
Have you considered the space needed to store lay-away, the cost of carrying that item in inventory, but no longer for sale, plus supplying employees to to handle the transaction twice (once when the deal is made) again when the transaction is finalized.

They are not in the storage business, nor are they in the financing business. Layaway costs someone, and Walmart had been bearing the cost but the decision was made to go to Walmart Credit Cards. This way the store gets their money immediately, only having to handle the transaction once, and moving inventory out making room for new merchandise with the opportunity to turn over merchandise again.

No, I don't work for Walmart, but they have always had to look hard at costs to remain competetive.

If you really need layaway, can't live without it, call 1-800-Walmart and lodge a complaint. Give your name and which store you usually shop at. The management does listen to customers. The squeaky wheel is the one that gets greased first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Billy Rigdon 4 hr pm 26
Sheriff 8 hr Farmer 65
Blue chevy impala and greeen f150 9 hr Really 10
chunky blonde pushing shopping cart 9 hr Hoodlane 3
Chad Brady & Rebecca Fisher 11 hr stump 8
Married man 18 hr Friend 1
Fiscal court Sun EMS 7

Lebanon Jobs

Personal Finance

Lebanon Mortgages