Faithful to the finances of the flock

Full story: Kansas City Star

In the wake of reports about finances at the Rev. Jerry Johnston's First Family Church, area houses of worship are welcoming discussion of that most earthly of issues -- money.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Charlie Koch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2007

Don't touch the money is so true! How can the Johnston family stand on the platform and expect to receive any kind of trust and credibility when so much of the hard earned moneys of the congeration goes for their luxuries? Very disappointed in FFC!
Any

Shawnee, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

It seems that the other megachurch in town, none other than Westside Family Church, is riddled with controversy of it's own. Dave Cox, the funnyman pastor in this article, has announced his affair with the head administrator of the church. Once again, the biggest turn offs to being a christian is christians themselves.
anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

bah. this makes me sad. both things. nobody is perfect but it's still really sad.
anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

(that posted before i was finished)

on a side note, i do know that westside has handled its finances responsibly, as a former staff member. we were held to high standards of how we spent and reported our money in our indivdual areas of responsibility.

even though both pastors have sadly made poor decisions, other christians can surround them with love as christ would during these very difficult times. i know if i were ever in a situation like that, i would desperately need to be shown love.
One

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Quite easy to point out how and why this happened, but we must remember that we all would be ashamed to have our thoughts and actions filmed daily to only show how desperately we all fall short of the glory of God. My prayers go out to the children, Dave's wife, the husband of the one in this affair, and the church. May Dave's children and wife know that their Heavenly Father will never leave them and help them heal on a daily basis on the hurt inflicted by one in such a trusted position. May the Church realize that it wasn't built based on Dave's vision, but God's alone. We should also pray for Dave for his healing from this selfish act and to get his priorities back where they are supposed to be, his walk with Christ. Men must raise up and realize that we are first called to be ministers of our families. From the previous posters comments, I've concluded who the affair was with, and I pray for her to be healed and that her husband heals from this tragedy. Alot of innocent lives were inflicted with pain from this one "innocent" act. It should be a lession for all of us.
Steve Williams

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2007

Hypocrites abound but are only sorry when they get caught. Just look at Pastor Ted in Colorado. Tell me how I should live and then lie, cheat and yes, fornicate with a male prostitute. Then have church
elders tell the world Ted was just part of small church with minimal membership. Give me a break. Another attempt to keep the money rolling in. Pay no attention
to the man behind the curtain.
I was asked to join Westside a recent Easter event out at the Kansas Speedway. Over and over again I heard how great it was for kids. How does Daveís
kids feel right now.
Jerry Johnston preaches that his religion is better then everyone elseís. Heís spent
weeks on it try to discount otherís beliefs, but then selling his for profit books on why they should believe him.
Iíve got a great idea for all of the church leaders. Hire new leaders and preach against Gay marriage, abortion
or whatever keeps the flock occupied on daily basis.
Mega churches are BUSINESSES. When the government gave tax exempt status to churches I believe that they didnít have in mind these 10,000+ mega congregations. Maybe we should tax and regulate the money.
Michael Yaw Fiadjoe

Ghana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2007

We are consulting company and presently have some clients who are looking for lucrative areas of investment abroad for capital investment.

If you have one and can work with us as partners do not hesitate to contact us for further details.

our email is infor506@yahoo.com
Steve WIlliams II

Lenexa, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2007

Stevio, shouldn't you be at a Michael Moore movie or working the desk at an abortion mill?

I doubt anyone asked you to join WFC but rather you mistook an invitation to take part in the Easter Egg hunt with the rest of the toddlers.
anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2007

not all mega churches are businesses. some are more business like than others, but don't discount god's ability to work though big churches. that's just silly.
Judas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2007

I guess we won't be hearing any commentaries about the do and don't from Dave Cox.
NewInHouston

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2007

Everybody is a hypocrite, all except one. That's the point.
Disillusioned Westsider

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2007

Yeah, Dave Cox proved he was "trustworthy" allright--he was a good "steward" of a parishoner's wife, banging for Jesus.
Steve Williams III

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2007

Stevie boy, you should be the target of the egg throwers at the Easter egg hunt.

Since: Oct 08

Princeton Junction, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Any wrote:
It seems that the other megachurch in town, none other than Westside Family Church, is riddled with controversy of it's own. Dave Cox, the funnyman pastor in this article, has announced his affair with the head administrator of the church. Once again, the biggest turn offs to being a christian is christians themselves.
Wow this is messed up! What happened to this church?
Edd

Olathe, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2009

Judged:

Any wrote:
I am clarifying so people researching churches will know the truth. Westside was not the other mega church in town. There are several mega churches in town. Westside is a smaller church, not a mega.
Dave did the wrong thing at first, then accepted his guilt and punishment. It ripped apart his family. I know one of his sons and have met Dave. They are doing well but need prayer.
Bonnie muir

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

Edd wrote:
<quoted text>
I am clarifying so people researching churches will know the truth. Westside was not the other mega church in town. There are several mega churches in town. Westside is a smaller church, not a mega.
Dave did the wrong thing at first, then accepted his guilt and punishment. It ripped apart his family. I know one of his sons and have met Dave. They are doing well but need prayer.
No we are not doing well
Bonnie muir

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

bonniejunecox
Bonnie muir

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

Dave cox refused to accept responsibility for his affair at westside and refused to reconcile with his wife of 28 yrs after she forgave him and she pursued reconciliation. Ha divorced her 2 1/2 yrs ago and has been sleeping with his new girlfriend for 4 yrs. He is 53, she is 28. His oldest son is 26. 3 yrs ago area pastors including Jimmy Dodd, Charles Briscoe, Mark Seversen, sent him to a church to preach and video taped it and put the video on the Internet and declared Dave "restored to ministry".
Daves wife stood against the deception of the
body of Christ and continued telling the truth until someone was finally able to expose their lies. The church did nothing to help her or her 5 children.
staph infection

Saint Petersburg, Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Edd wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true. Westside is definitely a megachurch.
LEJ

Kansas City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Bonnie-I'm so sorry you are still hurting. I pray you will find grace , peace and forgiveness thru Christ. Man may let us down but God is our rock of strength and comfort. I hope you can surrender your pain to him. Peace and blessings, LJ

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Leawood Discussions

Search the Leawood Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Overland Park bans pit bulls (Jul '06) 8 hr Jim 155
KS Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutio... (Oct '10) Fri dreamer 5,940
Explosion Sound at 11:00am today... Jul 9 Raquel 1
Were the Moors Black? (Dec '07) Jul 6 LION 582
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? Jul 6 inquire 58
Specer Collins and the Little Free Library Jul 3 Grammy 1
Former OP detective accused of shoplifting, met... (Jul '08) Jun 25 Went to school with Nicki 84
•••
•••
•••
•••

Leawood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Leawood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••