Donna in New Jersey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2006

My parents were living in Merriam in the 1940s when a B29 plane crashed in their neighborhood. Can anyone direct me to archival news coverage or information about this event?
Frank Janner

Olathe, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2006

I used to work at the good feet store at I-35 and johnson drive. A older man came in and told me all about it. If I remember right, the pilet was showing off for his girl friend and flew to low hitting the tree tops.
Tom Guyot

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2006

My mother and her twin sister witnessed this crash when they were kids living just north of Johnson Drive in Merriam. They were apparently drunk and showing off, flying so low they were waving to people. After the crash government agents knocked on doors to collect flying debris that people picked up. My mom still lives in the Kansas City area.
Donna in New Jersey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2006

Frank Janner wrote:
I used to work at the good feet store at I-35 and johnson drive. A older man came in and told me all about it. If I remember right, the pilet was showing off for his girl friend and flew to low hitting the tree tops.
Thanks, that's what my folks say as well. Any idea what year that was? I appreciate it.
Donna in New Jersey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2006

Tom Guyot wrote:
My mother and her twin sister witnessed this crash when they were kids living just north of Johnson Drive in Merriam. They were apparently drunk and showing off, flying so low they were waving to people. After the crash government agents knocked on doors to collect flying debris that people picked up. My mom still lives in the Kansas City area.
Thanks a lot. Do they remember what year that took place? My mom was babysitting for a family by the name of Sweet when she saw it happen. She remembers them waving from the plane also. She thinks that the pilot lost a limb but that some men aboard did not survive. I was hoping to find some news clippings online but no luck so far.
DARLA D

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2006

Donna in New Jersey wrote:
My parents were living in Merriam in the 1940s when a B29 plane crashed in their neighborhood. Can anyone direct me to archival news coverage or information about this event?
Check the Kansas City Star and Times they've got good archives. Lots of the stuff is available with the search engine
Biff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

You can contact the Merriam Community Center. They will have the exact date for you. However, it was not a B29 aircraft. It was a small airplane that a man was flying. As others had said, he was showing off for his girlfriend (flying by her house), and lost control of the plane.
Duke Sumonia

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

A B-24, serial number 44-10605 crashed 26 July 1944 at what is now the parking lot of a shoppping center at 57th and Antioch. Antioch was known as Loomis Ave. then.
You can go to the Johnson Co. Library and look up KC Star and Times microfilm of 7/26 and 7/27/1944. A picture of plane flying over just before crash is in one of the papers.I have done extensive research obout crash, inch thick notebook.Have official USAAF accident report. The pilot was living as a few years ago. 3 crew were killed, 3 survived. A number of years ago I was working with Merriam to erect a monument to honor those killed but it was not completed. In city hall there is a historical murial which has crash painted in background. If anyone is interestted they can contact ne at Dukeair@aol.com for more information.
I was born/raised in KC, Mo. retired from prairie Village in 1986 and now live in Glen Haven, CO. Am an aviation historian/archeologist. Put Duke Sumonia in GOOGLE search to see what I do.
Duke Sumonia

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

A B-24, serial number 44-10605 crashed 26 July 1944 at what is now the parking lot of a shoppping center at 57th and Antioch. Antioch was known as Loomis Ave. then.
You can go to the Johnson Co. Library and look up KC Star and Times microfilm of 7/26 and 7/27/1944. A picture of plane flying over just before crash is in one of the papers.I have done extensive research obout crash, inch thick notebook.Have official USAAF accident report. The pilot was living as a few years ago. 3 crew were killed, 3 survived. A number of years ago I was working with Merriam to erect a monument to honor those killed but it was not completed. In city hall there is a historical murial which has crash painted in background. If anyone is interestted they can contact ne at Dukeair@aol.com for more information.
I was born/raised in KC, Mo. retired from prairie Village in 1986 and now live in Glen Haven, CO. Am an aviation historian/archeologist. Put Duke Sumonia in GOOGLE search to see what I do.
Dennis

Olathe, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

Wow! I used to work in Merriam, and had heard about it. Never did hear any details. Thanks Duke!
Joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

The pilot was interviewed for a KC Star article in about 1999. He claimed a drug that the military
gave him for a cold made him unable to fly. And he crashed.
robert bales

Platte City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2008

My mother,sister who was 2 and me at 6months of age were living at about 56th and slater. slater was one block west of antioch. The pilot apparently was showing off for his wife who lived 2 houses away from us. The wing caught the roof of a house and and cartwheeled into three other homes. My parents were divorced a few months later, mom left us and went to california and sis and i were raised by dads folks until he remarried. No one ever talked about what had happened. In fact merriam school was just down the hill from the crash and the kids were let out of school and ran to the scene and picked up pieces to take home. The next morning the FBI and Military were at the school and made everyone bring back all the pieces they had taken and told not to talk about the crash, remember we were at war. The next time that I heard the subject talked was in about 2003. General Richard Myers head of THE JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF gave a speech at Whiteman Air Force Base talking about the airplane crash that had happened near his house when he was about 2 that got him interestd in airplanes and the rest is history. Richard lived about two blocks east of antioch rd.
Eleanor Lock

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2008

Donna in New Jersey wrote:
Yes, Donna, I witnessed the
crash, but only have vague
memories of it since I was only three years old at the time. The Kansas City Kansan newspaper dated 7-29-44 has
details of the crash. I remember looking up and seeing this plane flying very
low, the pilot smiling and
waving at us, the next thing
my mother running out of the house, sweeping me up in her
arms, grabbing my brother by the hand, and then we all
witnessed it crashing! It was
terrifying to say the least!
The newspaper account stated
"Children playing in their
yards narrowly escaped death'
and that was my brother and
me! I would be interested
in knowing if your parents or any of your family knew our
family, the Crego family or
the Seely's who lived next door to us! Sincerely, Eleanor Crego Lock
Sue

Franklin, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

The plane crashed in my grandparents back yard, at what was 5629 Witham Rd. My aunt and uncle pulled some of the men out. The house behind my grandparents was totally destroyed. I no longer live in Kansas, but this will always stay on my mind. Thw wife that the pilot was waving at later married a man whose wife had been killed in the Ruskin Heights tornado, they lived on Slater Rd just across from us. I understand that all this area is now a shopping center.
Bill

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2010

My father, living about Johnson Drive and Grandview at the time, witnessed the mishap. He said the B-24 was flying so low, that faces could be recognized by those that knew them. According to Dsd, the pilot, having just completed training, was buzzing the home of his parents when he got caught in some trees, with tragic results. Ironically, his parents were not home at the time. They had gone to the Fairfax airport to see him arrive. The aircraft was piloted by Kenneth Keech. I worked with his brother for several years at Farmland Industries and he confirmed the story. According to my father, one of the engines was found by the railroad tracks, several hundred yards away.
John

Lenexa, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

My mother and father lived on 62nd street behind the old Perkins on SM Pkwy at that time.. My mother was out hanging laundry on the line... My mom tells the story that she could hear the plane, it was very loud.. A few moments later the plane came over the top of the house... It was so low she thought it was gonna hit the fireplace chimney.... The pilot and crew were waving at people... She remembers them being so low she could see in detail the belt buckle of the crew member standing in a open side door.. She knew that they were going to crash and soon there after, heard the crash and saw the smoke from Merriam
rider

Ishpeming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2010

Amazon.com : Eyes on the Horizon: Serving on the Front Lines of ...In this captivating memoir, General Myers talks candidly about his career in the .... ranges from his fear of air planes as a child due to a plane crash near his home in ... General Richard Myers has the experience to back up his words....
www.amazon.com ... Leaders & Notable People Military - Cached - Similar
rider

Ishpeming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2010

Debunking the Debunkers: General Richard Myers Asked About ...May 15, 2009 ... Labels: 9/11 conspiracy Pentagon, 9/11 truth movement, 9/11 war games, Barack Obama 9/11, CGI holograms 9/11, General Richard Myers 9/11,...
911debunkers.blogspot.com/.../general-richard... - Cached - Similar
rider

Ishpeming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2010

Gen,Richard Myers enters into this video around 5:50 min-----YouTube - Cynthia McKinney confronts Richard Myers on 9/11 issues

- 8 min - Dec 18, 2006
queue WGN Radio - General Richard B. Myers talks with...1768 views ... queue General Richard B. Myers addresses graduates1494 views ...
www.youtube.com/watch... - more videos
rider

Ishpeming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2010

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••