created by: CitizenTopix | Oct 7, 2010

Kansas

3,387 votes

Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutional Amendment Question 1

Click on an option to vote

  • Yes
  • No
  • Other (explain below)

Comments (Page 228)

Showing posts 4,541 - 4,560 of5,940
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
good question

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4736
Jan 12, 2013
 
question wrote:
<quoted text>
Laws do stop some criminal behavior, but for the most part it doesn't. For example, why don't (most) people drive 90 mph on the interstate - because the law says not to and they will get fined if caught.
But you are right that someone who has intent to commit a crime is not going to be stopped by a law, but it does give more latitude to punish those who do break the law.
What I am wondering though is on the notion that "gun laws hurt law-abiding citizens." What law that is currently on the books or has been proposed has the potential of hurting a law-abiding citizen?
None that I can think of. There are those who would buy Howitzers for personal use, if they could, or heavy mortars. Without reasonable regulation, there is no limit.Ownership should be based on mental stability, training, background checks, criminal history, drug and alcohol abuse history, and violent or threatening history. Many nut cases could pass all those criteria with flying colors, and still go off the deep end. There is no clear answer and never will be. Guns are here to stay, like it or not. Man will devise ways to kill with or without firearms. We could tweak a few laws here and there, but overall the system does not need an overhaul. People slip through the cracks and systems fail people all the time. A tragic example is the abuse and exploitation of children, the elderly, the mentally and physically challenged. These cases are all too commonplace, but we just can`t seem to keep safety nets from failing. Certain people should never be armed. The challenge lies in identifying them and keeping them from being armed. Collective punishment for the action of a few is not the answer.

“Dump Brownback ”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4737
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Terrorist Hunter wrote:
Click on the youtube link below. Think about this the next time you vote and why you should vote.
Gun Control in Australia - Watch & Weep
https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup...
<quoted text>
What's to weep about? A world with fewer guns is a better world.

“Dump Brownback ”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4739
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

1

Terrorist Hunter wrote:
Proof Kangaroo hates America. Proof he is a terroist sympathizer. Rotten Taliban loving war criminal. right here in our back yard.
<quoted text>
Hi Jerry.

“Dump Brownback ”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4740
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Terrorist Hunter wrote:
Dear Terrorist Sympathizer
Dumbass numbers are faked all the time by Politicians to encourage tourism and financial growth. Kansas City, New York, Wichita, Miami have all falsified the numbers. By all means letís not scare people away. You sir are a classic idiot. Can I sell you some ocean front property in Arizona? If they read it they will believe it. Ignore that testament of faith, Dumbass fool.
<quoted text>
Let me guess you beleive everything you read on the internet? What a moron....
It's tinfoil hat time....

“Dump Brownback ”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4742
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

voice of reason wrote:
Laws don't stop criminals. More gun laws will only ensure that law abiding citizens have no recourse when they are threatened by a criminal. The only person being helped by more gun laws are those who break the law. People who uphold the law will die at the hands of these criminals. Gun laws hurt law abiding citizens.
Assertion isn't argument. Your position here is not evidence-based.
question

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4743
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

good question wrote:
<quoted text>None that I can think of. There are those who would buy Howitzers for personal use, if they could, or heavy mortars. Without reasonable regulation, there is no limit.Ownership should be based on mental stability, training, background checks, criminal history, drug and alcohol abuse history, and violent or threatening history. Many nut cases could pass all those criteria with flying colors, and still go off the deep end. There is no clear answer and never will be. Guns are here to stay, like it or not. Man will devise ways to kill with or without firearms. We could tweak a few laws here and there, but overall the system does not need an overhaul. People slip through the cracks and systems fail people all the time. A tragic example is the abuse and exploitation of children, the elderly, the mentally and physically challenged. These cases are all too commonplace, but we just can`t seem to keep safety nets from failing. Certain people should never be armed. The challenge lies in identifying them and keeping them from being armed. Collective punishment for the action of a few is not the answer.
It seems the only way to ensure those who have a mental illness does not end up with weapons would be to change our current privacy laws, then we have to ask what kind of mental illness should prevent someone from owning weapons - clinical depression? nervous breakdown? PMS? Menapause?(don't laugh for some women it really does play havoc). Then of course there is the temporary insanity brought on by sudden or growing stress that is not clinically diagnoised until the person has gone over the deep end. Add to that the fact that many mental illnesses show up out of the blue - the brain is fragile.
Maybe we should require periodic updates, like we renew our licenses.
I don't like the collective punishment either, but we also can't allow people to have grenade launcers, bombs, etc. so where do we draw the line?
It just seems like right now everyone is looking at this as an all or nothing proposition.
door king

Corpus Christi, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4744
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

7

6

4

We need to not allow private sales of certain guns. If you want assault weapons, you have to account for them. All sales should be to and from licensed dealers. The original buyer is responsible for any mayhem that his weapons are involved in; unless he reports the weapon stolen, or makes a legal sale. These people don't care about anyone's rights. They just want to continue making money. Half the guns confiscated in Mexico were originally sold by gun dealers in Texas.
Terrorist Hunter

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4745
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

The facts are in.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/linker.aspx...
Terrorist Hunter

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4746
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

http://www.gunsamerica.com/linker.aspx...
The Kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's tinfoil hat time....
Terrorist Hunter

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4747
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I'll will find you.
The Kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
Come and get me, mouthaphoucka. You sniveling coward, give it a try big mouth. You poor pathetic ass, you mean a "hookah" pipe? I haven't seen one of those since I left Iran.
Another School Shooting

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4748
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Another School Shooting Ignored by the Major Media

http://www.tricities.com/news/article_0cddce3...

KINGSPORT, Tenn.

A 62 year old mentally unstable man enters a school with a loaded weapon ready to shoot kids, but is dropped by school security after a short standoff.

Why do you never hear about these?

Because it's not news when the good guys win.

Think about it.
voice of reason

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4749
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

4

2

2

question wrote:
<quoted text>Laws do stop some criminal behavior, but for the most part it doesn't. For example, why don't (most) people drive 90 mph on the interstate - because the law says not to and they will get fined if caught.
But you are right that someone who has intent to commit a crime is not going to be stopped by a law, but it does give more latitude to punish those who do break the law.

What I am wondering though is on the notion that "gun laws hurt law-abiding citizens." What law that is currently on the books or has been proposed has the potential of hurting a law-abiding citizen?
When we lose our constitutional right to bear arms, our chances against murdering psychos decrease. In every one of the recent mass shootings, the highest number of casualties happened in "no gun" zones. In incidents where the victims were able to defend themselves, the list of casualties was much fewer.
news

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4750
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Another School Shooting wrote:
Another School Shooting Ignored by the Major Media
http://www.tricities.com/news/article_0cddce3...
KINGSPORT, Tenn.
A 62 year old mentally unstable man enters a school with a loaded weapon ready to shoot kids, but is dropped by school security after a short standoff.
Why do you never hear about these?
Because it's not news when the good guys win.
Think about it.
This happened in September 2010! maybe that's why you haven't heard it in the news recently.
door king

Corpus Christi, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4751
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Catch the drift of this? Instead of solving the problems caused by saturating the country and culture with guns, the gunphuques want to crack down on anyone who exhibits any eccentricity. Dragging such people off to camps or drugging them into oblivian is their solution. That's how much they care about rights and freedom.
door king

Corpus Christi, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4752
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

door king wrote:
We need to not allow private sales of certain guns. If you want assault weapons, you have to account for them. All sales should be to and from licensed dealers. The original buyer is responsible for any mayhem that his weapons are involved in; unless he reports the weapon stolen, or makes a legal sale. These people don't care about anyone's rights. They just want to continue making money. Half the guns confiscated in Mexico were originally sold by gun dealers in Texas.
Referring to your pathetic votes: must have hit a nerve. So much for personal responsibility.
mhm

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4753
Jan 14, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

id like to keep my guns thanks

“Dump Brownback ”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4754
Jan 14, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

door king wrote:
Catch the drift of this? Instead of solving the problems caused by saturating the country and culture with guns, the gunphuques want to crack down on anyone who exhibits any eccentricity. Dragging such people off to camps or drugging them into oblivian is their solution. That's how much they care about rights and freedom.
Guns in this culture essentially serve as stage props for bullies.

“Dump Brownback ”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4755
Jan 14, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

mhm wrote:
id like to keep my guns thanks
Are you over 30? do you take it and wave it around in public? Do you threaten family members with it?

If your answers are yes, no, and no, chances you will be able to. However, that depends on the outrageousness of gun advocates not as polite as you.

OTOH, just as in school kids learn about the dangers of smoking and dope, so also are they going to learn similar negative lessons about guns.
they gona do it again

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4756
Jan 14, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

mhm wrote:
id like to keep my guns thanks
Fine keep your guns and lock them up at home. Only take them out for hunting and target practice. There is no reason for open cary or conceal and carry.
a few reasons

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4757
Jan 14, 2013
 

Judged:

5

4

3

they gona do it again wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine keep your guns and lock them up at home. Only take them out for hunting and target practice. There is no reason for open cary or conceal and carry.
Cops can take forever to get there and many are incompetent and inexperienced. This is not an indictment of Law Enforcement, just simple facts of life in the real world. If you want to pin all your hopes that police will arrive pronto and neutralize somebody intent on harming you or your family, that`s your choice. Not all of us are passifists, and many among us are better trained and motivated to take on the bad guys, especially when there is ZERO time to spare. Believe the myth that a 911 call will solve your problem and ptotect you from harm, if you choose to. Let those of us who are proactive about our own defenses and safety execise the right to protect ourselves, loved ones, and property.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 4,541 - 4,560 of5,940
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Leawood Discussions

Search the Leawood Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Sizzles BBQ Bar & Grill C (Jan '14) 12 hr Rick 4
black women who like white men (Mar '13) 17 hr Cassklein 29
Overland Park bans pit bulls (Jul '06) Sat Jim 155
Explosion Sound at 11:00am today... Jul 9 Raquel 1
Were the Moors Black? (Dec '07) Jul 6 LION 582
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? Jul 6 inquire 58
Specer Collins and the Little Free Library Jul 3 Grammy 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Leawood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Leawood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Leawood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Leawood
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••