Friendswood principal leaves after 'I...

Friendswood principal leaves after 'Islam 101' scandal

There are 39 comments on the www.chron.com story from Jun 5, 2008, titled Friendswood principal leaves after 'Islam 101' scandal. In it, www.chron.com reports that:

The Friendswood Junior High principal who outraged some parents by allowing an Islamic group to make a 40-minute presentation to students last month is now off the job.

In a two-sentence statement sent late Wednesday, the school district said Robin Lowe "has accepted another administrative position effective immediately."

The news drew relief from some who were incensed by the May 22 presentation and concern from others who considered the assembly a good way for students in the predominantly Anglo Christian school to learn about other cultures.

About 875 seventh- and eighth-grade students attended the presentation given by two women with the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Houston, according to the school district.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.chron.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Another John

Jasper, TX

#1 Jun 5, 2008
The right action was taken. Schools are not the place to indoctrinate our children about a religion; no matter which religion it is. This goes way beyond prayer in school. This was, in effect, an evangelitical outreach by the Islamic community.
I wonder what the reaction would have been if it had been a presentation on the Jewish faith or any one of the Christian denominations.
Houston Mom

Texas City, TX

#2 Jun 5, 2008
This was not a "culture" tolerance thing. They spoke of the 5 stations of Allah...they made comments on girls having shorts on. Commented that dress codes should be changed. I suppose they wanted our children to dress in those tents. They commented that Allah is the only real God and that Jesus was just a prophet. I know quite a few of the children that attended this assembly and they have told me what was said. Does this sound like a culture tolerance lecture? If this had been a Christian assembly the ACLU would have been out in force in Friendswood. Personally, I have not forgotten 911, and never will. Do you all remember how many innocent lives have been taken in the name of "ALLAH"...they teach to hate and kill all infidels which is anyone that is not muslim. That does not sound like a peaceful, kind, loving God. Oh, and let's not forget the way women are looked upon in their "culture"/religion. Very much second class or lower. Wake up America or we will be learning, by force, the 5 stations of Allah. These people, and yes others too, have learned to turn our democracy on us and force us to give in to their demands. Just try to have an assembly in any of the middle east countries on Christian tolerance! You will wind up getting your head chopped off or stoned to death in a public display! Please WAKE UP AMERICA.
whitey

United States

#3 Jun 5, 2008
She should have been fired immediately!
kathy

Friendswood, TX

#4 Jun 6, 2008
Hey Whitey-the dry cleaners called- your pointed hat is ready. And Houston mom- did you forget Oklahoma City?
Ken Superman

Texas City, TX

#5 Jun 6, 2008
I have prayed on this and asked Jesus if her thinks the right thing was done. He turned to Allah, who in turn said he thinks the people in Friendswood are turds. Jesus agrees.
Ken Superman

Texas City, TX

#6 Jun 6, 2008
Antoher John from Jasper wrote...

"The right action was taken. Schools are not the place to indoctrinate our children about a religion; no matter which religion it is. This goes way beyond prayer in school. This was, in effect, an evangelitical outreach by the Islamic community."

Allah thinks the people in Jasper are turds too. At least in Friendswood they don't drag them down the road behing a pickup.
Ken Superman

Texas City, TX

#7 Jun 6, 2008
Houston Mom wrote...

"Personally, I have not forgotten 911, and never will..."

Well, I have not forgotten December 7, 1941. I bet you drive a Honda.
Houston Mom

Texas City, TX

#8 Jun 6, 2008
Ken Superman wrote:
Houston Mom wrote...
"Personally, I have not forgotten 911, and never will..."
Well, I have not forgotten December 7, 1941. I bet you drive a Honda.
NOPE! I am AMERICAN through and through. No foreign cars for me. If you will never forget "Pearl Harbor" why would you "ass-ume" that we are so different? Are you saying that 911 was any less of an attack on AMERICA than the attack at Pearl Harbor? I have family members that have served in the Military and fought for this country in every war dating back to the "Civil War Days". Your statement was a bit idiotic.
Houston Mom

Texas City, TX

#9 Jun 6, 2008
kathy wrote:
Hey Whitey-the dry cleaners called- your pointed hat is ready. And Houston mom- did you forget Oklahoma City?
Not at all....there are a few crazies every where. However, Islam teaches to hate and destroy/conquer all INFIDELS... last I heard "Kathy" was not a Muslim name. So that would include you. Of course I suppose you could have converted already.
Another John

Jasper, TX

#10 Jun 7, 2008
Ken Superman wrote:
Antoher John from Jasper wrote...
"The right action was taken. Schools are not the place to indoctrinate our children about a religion; no matter which religion it is. This goes way beyond prayer in school. This was, in effect, an evangelitical outreach by the Islamic community."
Allah thinks the people in Jasper are turds too. At least in Friendswood they don't drag them down the road behing a pickup.
You are just an inflamatory turd, yourself. You troll around and try to stir up something. Crawl back beneath the turd you live under. The rest of us will continue our dialog in a civil manner.
anonymous

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Jun 9, 2008
Dear houston mom,
I understand your frustration with Ken Superman and his attempts to provoke you. At the same time I can't agree with you that Islam is purely a religion of violence and that all muslims hope to kill all non-muslims. I also, however, would not argue that Islam is a religion of peace. All religions have violent members who subvert the core teachings of their religion to justify their violent actions. Just as Osama bin Laden and the 9/11 hijackers invoke Islam as their motivation for killing, so Hitler invoked Christianity to justify the Holocaust, and so Jewish settlers invoked Judaism in 1940 when they slaughtered Palestinians to drive them from Israel. No religion is purely good just as no religion is purely evil. At the core of all three of these monotheistic religions, however, are very similar values of peace, love, and equality. In the current world those values sometimes may be hard to find, but I assure you that you will find them if you scratch beneath the surface.

anonymous

p.s. if you are at all interested, a great book to read is "No God but God" by Reza Aslan. Reza Aslan is an Arab-American who graduated from Harvard who has written this book not as an attempt to indoctrinate Americans but to help people understand Islam's complex history. Please take a look at it. I think you'll find it very interesting.
Just Another Mom

Houston, TX

#12 Jun 9, 2008
I think the whole thing is just crazy. I have a child that attends that school and she didn't think it was a big deal at all until all the adults started making a big deal about it. The principal has been there for many many years and kids love her. She made an error in judgement and has been the one to take the fall for it all. I think everyone should take a look at her bosses... she did not act alone. Do you really think they didn't know what was going on. Really???? On the other had, I totally agree that is should never have happened and we should have been informed. But for someone to loose their job over it? Come on?????
Houston Mom

Texas City, TX

#13 Jun 9, 2008
Just Another Mom wrote:
I think the whole thing is just crazy. I have a child that attends that school and she didn't think it was a big deal at all until all the adults started making a big deal about it. The principal has been there for many many years and kids love her. She made an error in judgement and has been the one to take the fall for it all. I think everyone should take a look at her bosses... she did not act alone. Do you really think they didn't know what was going on. Really???? On the other had, I totally agree that is should never have happened and we should have been informed. But for someone to loose their job over it? Come on?????
Then for your child, it should be ok to attend. Better yet, get permission slips signed, take a field trip to the CAIR offices with those students that do have permission. Then, set up assemblies and /or field trips to the various organizations that represent all the other kids that get picked on at school. What about "fat" kids, "special needs" kids, "skinny" kids, "ugly" kids, "poor" kids...and we have not even added in all of the other "Religious" organizations! Get real...she deserves to lose her job, and while they are at it, yes...maybe some "higher ups" should be looked at as well. Especially if they knew and approved of this assembly.
Houston Mom

Texas City, TX

#14 Jun 9, 2008
anonymous wrote:
Dear houston mom,
I understand your frustration with Ken Superman and his attempts to provoke you. At the same time I can't agree with you that Islam is purely a religion of violence and that all muslims hope to kill all non-muslims. I also, however, would not argue that Islam is a religion of peace. All religions have violent members who subvert the core teachings of their religion to justify their violent actions. Just as Osama bin Laden and the 9/11 hijackers invoke Islam as their motivation for killing, so Hitler invoked Christianity to justify the Holocaust, and so Jewish settlers invoked Judaism in 1940 when they slaughtered Palestinians to drive them from Israel. No religion is purely good just as no religion is purely evil. At the core of all three of these monotheistic religions, however, are very similar values of peace, love, and equality. In the current world those values sometimes may be hard to find, but I assure you that you will find them if you scratch beneath the surface.
anonymous
p.s. if you are at all interested, a great book to read is "No God but God" by Reza Aslan. Reza Aslan is an Arab-American who graduated from Harvard who has written this book not as an attempt to indoctrinate Americans but to help people understand Islam's complex history. Please take a look at it. I think you'll find it very interesting.
Right now I am reading "The Legacy of Jihad", maybe you should read this book! Please go try to "preach" your tolerance speech in any country with a population of Muslims, on Christians, Jews or well, anything besides Islam. It won't be pretty and there will be no news forum or "talking" about it. Have you kept up on what is happening in the UK or France? I have family members that spent many years in the Middle East living and working. I have watched, listened and studied the culture myself. I continue to do so.
I am American, nothing else attached to that.
Just Another Mom

Friendswood, TX

#15 Jun 9, 2008
Houston Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Then for your child, it should be ok to attend. Better yet, get permission slips signed, take a field trip to the CAIR offices with those students that do have permission. Then, set up assemblies and /or field trips to the various organizations that represent all the other kids that get picked on at school. What about "fat" kids, "special needs" kids, "skinny" kids, "ugly" kids, "poor" kids...and we have not even added in all of the other "Religious" organizations! Get real...she deserves to lose her job, and while they are at it, yes...maybe some "higher ups" should be looked at as well. Especially if they knew and approved of this assembly.
What you are saying is exactly right. My child has been one that has been picked on for one reason or another. Her junior high years were problaby the hardest. But all of this just makes it worse. Are we really teaching them the right thing by all of this? Kids are kids.... no matter what. No matter, weight, color, religion .... They are just kids...... What has happened has happened and unfortunately the worse for the principle. I really think she is probably miserable right now. I honestly don't think she would do anything to hurt those kids on purpose.
Houston Mom

Texas City, TX

#16 Jun 9, 2008
Just Another Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are saying is exactly right. My child has been one that has been picked on for one reason or another. Her junior high years were problaby the hardest. But all of this just makes it worse. Are we really teaching them the right thing by all of this? Kids are kids.... no matter what. No matter, weight, color, religion .... They are just kids...... What has happened has happened and unfortunately the worse for the principle. I really think she is probably miserable right now. I honestly don't think she would do anything to hurt those kids on purpose.
What exactly do you not understand about "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE"? If no other RELIGIOUS organizations can call an assembly such as this, then why do we tolerate this one? Muslim=Islam=Muslim. Plain and simple! They made the comment that one Muslim child had been "picked" on. I was pointing out that many other children are picked on every day, all the time. No one else is able to send in "representatives" to teach a "mandatory" assembly of 7th and 8th graders! Do some research. If it is ok for one group, then all groups should have had equal time. You bleeding heart liberals are sinking this great nation.
Another John

Jasper, TX

#17 Jun 10, 2008
Houston Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly do you not understand about "SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE"? If no other RELIGIOUS organizations can call an assembly such as this, then why do we tolerate this one? Muslim=Islam=Muslim. Plain and simple! They made the comment that one Muslim child had been "picked" on. I was pointing out that many other children are picked on every day, all the time. No one else is able to send in "representatives" to teach a "mandatory" assembly of 7th and 8th graders! Do some research. If it is ok for one group, then all groups should have had equal time. You bleeding heart liberals are sinking this great nation.
These points are absolutely correct. But, it should not be OK for ANY religious group to make a presentation of their beliefs at a gathering of school children. Even if the parents agree and sit with their children, a school is the wrong place to do this.
In reading the article I think you will find that an attempt was made to "go thru channels" before this was done. If we are to believe what we read there, the superintendant approved the presentation for "Staff only." I do wonder, though, why an assembly this large was actually held without the superintendant knowing it. If I were in charge I would have known that this was happening...especially if a sensitive subject was involved. I believe the principal was not the only one at fault.
Just Another Mom

Houston, TX

#18 Jun 10, 2008
Another John wrote:
<quoted text>
These points are absolutely correct. But, it should not be OK for ANY religious group to make a presentation of their beliefs at a gathering of school children. Even if the parents agree and sit with their children, a school is the wrong place to do this.
In reading the article I think you will find that an attempt was made to "go thru channels" before this was done. If we are to believe what we read there, the superintendant approved the presentation for "Staff only." I do wonder, though, why an assembly this large was actually held without the superintendant knowing it. If I were in charge I would have known that this was happening...especially if a sensitive subject was involved. I believe the principal was not the only one at fault.
I agree. That was my whole point earlier. There are more at fault than just her. They are using her.

You know I have never responded to any of these types of chats but I am totally surprised at how mean people can be to each other. What example is that setting for kids? People are just trying to express their feelings, right or wrong, why do some people have to be so ugly.

I don't agree with what happened at the school, at all, I just wish they had handled the downfall from it all it a better manner.
Houston Mom

Texas City, TX

#19 Jun 10, 2008
Just Another Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. That was my whole point earlier. There are more at fault than just her. They are using her.
You know I have never responded to any of these types of chats but I am totally surprised at how mean people can be to each other. What example is that setting for kids? People are just trying to express their feelings, right or wrong, why do some people have to be so ugly.
I don't agree with what happened at the school, at all, I just wish they had handled the downfall from it all it a better manner.
Actually, your first response to me sounded a bit like you were defending the principal and you did say that there was no problem with the assembly in your child's opinion. Thus, I took it that you basically had no problem with it. So, you either don't have a problem with the Islamic presentation or you do. Because someone is not in agreement with you means they are being ugly?
What the principal did was not in accordance with any PUBLIC school policy in America. She knew what she was doing and she knew it was not acceptable. Should she lose her job? Yes she should. She set FISD up for multiple lawsuits. Do we really want our tax dollars going towards defending such rebellious actions. I think not. If she has as much experience as she is supposed to have, she knew exactly what she was doing.
Just Another Mom

Friendswood, TX

#20 Jun 10, 2008
Houston Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, your first response to me sounded a bit like you were defending the principal and you did say that there was no problem with the assembly in your child's opinion. Thus, I took it that you basically had no problem with it. So, you either don't have a problem with the Islamic presentation or you do. Because someone is not in agreement with you means they are being ugly?
What the principal did was not in accordance with any PUBLIC school policy in America. She knew what she was doing and she knew it was not acceptable. Should she lose her job? Yes she should. She set FISD up for multiple lawsuits. Do we really want our tax dollars going towards defending such rebellious actions. I think not. If she has as much experience as she is supposed to have, she knew exactly what she was doing.
Ok.... I hear you. "Actually" I am not defending her, I think it was wrong but I think she is not the only person that should get repromanded. I was merely trying to point out that I really find it hard to believe she did all this without anyone knowing. Also.... I think we are making a bigger deal of it than the kids ever thought about doing. Myself included my participating in this chat. I asked my daughter again, and let me make it clear.... we are just your normal anglosaxon family, that goes to church on a regular basis and have the same beliefs that almost everyone in this area have, she did think anything of it other than they were trying to make them all understand how the earlier incident made those "kids" feel. And how it hurt their feelings, she did tie religion into it all just the fact that they were kids that attended that school and should be treated as anyone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

League City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Harvey volunteer claims church fired her for be... Sep 19 Art Fart 17
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jul '16) Sep 13 Package ur farts 31
Jeffery cross Sep 7 U Farted 4
News The Latest: Officials: Water release won't swel... Sep 3 Fart soup 4
Mobile Hospital setup at Dickinson High School Aug 30 Got farts 2
hurricane damage (Sep '08) Aug 29 Replenish farts 65
Bentwood Subdivision Aug 28 Fart Xylophone 4

League City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

League City Mortgages