Mower County farmer spreads $3 million around his small town

There are 20 comments on the Dec 14, 2010, TwinCities.com story titled Mower County farmer spreads $3 million around his small town. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A retired farmer had a reputation in his small Minnesota town for being very frugal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Dec 15, 2010
good man the good spirit of being human. more people should learn from this
Joe Btfsplk

South Saint Paul, MN

#2 Dec 15, 2010
What did the government get out of it? Didn't they get their fair share of its money (taxes) first? Not fair that this man could leave that much money to charity. Evidently he doesn't agree with Obama that his salvation is based on collective salvation.
Slim

Jacksonville, FL

#3 Dec 15, 2010
Merry X-mas!
Adam

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Dec 15, 2010
It's a good thing that nobody knew he had money. Otherwise the church would have pressured him into giving all of it to them instead of just 1/3.
Annie

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Dec 15, 2010
Awesome!!!!!
NKP GUY

Maple Grove, MN

#6 Dec 15, 2010
An example of the true meaning of Christmas.
surebet

Cold Spring, MN

#7 Dec 15, 2010
Can not judge a book by its cover as they say! As in most small towns everyone knew he did not have any immediate living relatives that they were aware of. So, who did the towns folks think was going to get some money..the UNDERTAKER? Like the old saying goes: CAN'T TAKE YOUR MONEY TO THE GRAVE. He knew where his money was going to be donated for years, it didn't happen overnight!
L in Lakeville

Bloomington, IL

#8 Dec 15, 2010
What a fabulous thing! Way to Go Leroy! Great Story! Good for them! Something to be said for frugality...it leaves a legacy!:)
Pause for thought

Hopkins, MN

#9 Dec 15, 2010
If the government re-enacts the death tax, he would not be able to spend his own money.

In fact, the government would be saying, you are too stupid to spend the money YOU earned. And anyone who can read a newspaper knows the government is the worst manager of money.
a fellow J-hound

Osceola, WI

#10 Dec 15, 2010
Some editor at the Pi Press is seething that they didn't get a better handle on this story.... hee hee.
Billy Boy

Thief River Falls, MN

#11 Dec 15, 2010
Great article. A lot better than reading about murders, rapes, Obummer and Denny Hecker
Crusoe

Chicago, IL

#12 Dec 15, 2010
Pause for thought wrote:
If the government re-enacts the death tax, he would not be able to spend his own money.
In fact, the government would be saying, you are too stupid to spend the money YOU earned. And anyone who can read a newspaper knows the government is the worst manager of money.
The estate tax is currently enacted isn't it?

Since: Jun 10

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Dec 15, 2010
What a great story!! Gives me hope for mankind!
Joe Blow

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Dec 15, 2010
Just shows all you fools out there, be nice to everyone! You never know what will come your way.
Joe Blow

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Dec 15, 2010
Pause for thought wrote:
If the government re-enacts the death tax, he would not be able to spend his own money.
In fact, the government would be saying, you are too stupid to spend the money YOU earned. And anyone who can read a newspaper knows the government is the worst manager of money.
Actually the theory of the Estate Tax or "Death" tax according to the Congress is that you are DEAD! so you are unable to spend your money. Therefore the Gubbamint gets there share of YOUR hard earned money just because.
Concerto

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Dec 15, 2010
There wouldn't have been any estate tax since the estate was under 5 million dollars. If your estate is over 5 million I think you can pay a few taxes.

Since: Jun 10

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Dec 15, 2010
Pause for thought wrote:
If the government re-enacts the death tax, he would not be able to spend his own money.
In fact, the government would be saying, you are too stupid to spend the money YOU earned. And anyone who can read a newspaper knows the government is the worst manager of money.
You are uninformed!!! If you read the story - he had no family to give it to, that is why he gave it to charities and the charities would not have to pay for what you claim is the "death-tax" it is an estate tax which falls upon the family of the estate that is over $5 million per person.
Just Thinking

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Dec 15, 2010
What a great story!!
Capt Obvious

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Dec 15, 2010
Crusoe wrote:
<quoted text>
The estate tax is currently enacted isn't it?
There is a one-year moratorium on the estate tax in 2010 (so, no, no estate tax). But if you die Jan. 1, 2011, yes.
Capt Obvious

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Dec 15, 2010
Concerto wrote:
There wouldn't have been any estate tax since the estate was under 5 million dollars. If your estate is over 5 million I think you can pay a few taxes.
A few taxes - as in 35 to 50%? That's more than a few taxes (considering it's already been taxed at least once).

The unfortunate part is that many small businesses need to be liquidated in order to pay this tax rather than maintaining the family business and jobs that go along with it (because if the estate - including the business - were, say,$10M and there was a 50% tax on anything over $5M, that'd be a $2.5M tax just because someone died).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Le Roy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Speaker of the House makes visit to area Feb '15 See The Real Prob... 1
FEDS are in town (Aug '14) Aug '14 nosyneighborleroy 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
Predator Judges, Police, Lawyers and Government... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Debra Matheny 1
More from around the web

Le Roy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]