HAFB Reacts to Airman Suicide

HAFB Reacts to Airman Suicide

There are 6 comments on the Fox13Now story from Nov 17, 2009, titled HAFB Reacts to Airman Suicide. In it, Fox13Now reports that:

LAYTON, Utah - Hill Air Force Base mourns an airman who committed suicide this weekend at Antelope Island.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox13Now.

Tyler

Spanish Fork, UT

#1 Jan 30, 2010
I lost my Brother to suicide last month. He was only 18, and in the Army. I know my Unit suffered a few too many suicides after we returned from our Afghanistan deployment 5 years ago. It's pretty sad that the military still thinks it's normal to train soldiers to be soldiers, and expect them to live in a world filled with un-disciplined civilians. I'm not saying anything against civilians, it's a part of living in a free country that we're allowed to live how we want. I just disagree with the mentality of the military, and the ignorance they seem to show towards the soldiers, and the stress they carry everyday, with their life on the line, and the words "Ooh ahh, I wanna hurt somebody, OOh ah, I wanna kill somebody" rolling across their mind everyday from basic training. They really think it's easy to train people to think like hatefull killers, then "be ok" in a non combat civilian style world?

No matter what the issue really is, I'm just sad that another family has to suffer the unmeasurable pain that comes from loosing a loved one, to suicide. My heart goes out to anyone who has felt that pain. No one should ever have to take their own life.

Since: Jan 10

Spanish Fork, UT

#2 Jan 30, 2010
I also wanted to add to that, I'm sorry to hear that so many civilian employees on base have been suffering. I agree with the report, It really shouldn't be so hard to talk to someone if your suffering that bad. Why is a person more afraid to look awkward to someone, because they asked for help, than they are to transfer horrible pain to everyone who loves them?
r b clearfield

Layton, UT

#3 Feb 6, 2010
macktcon the people are afraid to say a word i did and was put out the gate after all the years i worked for the government. today at 63 years of age and a disability and no retirement from hill my wife and i face losing all.more to the suicides then you know.some of the people at hill know but cant say a word they need a job.maybe others will stand up and tell the truth.
KIl

Layton, UT

#4 Feb 11, 2010
Tyler wrote:
I lost my Brother to suicide last month. He was only 18, and in the Army. I know my Unit suffered a few too many suicides after we returned from our Afghanistan deployment 5 years ago. It's pretty sad that the military still thinks it's normal to train soldiers to be soldiers, and expect them to live in a world filled with un-disciplined civilians. I'm not saying anything against civilians, it's a part of living in a free country that we're allowed to live how we want. I just disagree with the mentality of the military, and the ignorance they seem to show towards the soldiers, and the stress they carry everyday, with their life on the line, and the words "Ooh ahh, I wanna hurt somebody, OOh ah, I wanna kill somebody" rolling across their mind everyday from basic training. They really think it's easy to train people to think like hatefull killers, then "be ok" in a non combat civilian style world?
No matter what the issue really is, I'm just sad that another family has to suffer the unmeasurable pain that comes from loosing a loved one, to suicide. My heart goes out to anyone who has felt that pain. No one should ever have to take their own life.
I am really sorry for the loss of your brother, but to assume all military soldiers can't function in a non-military environment is ignorance on your part. Do some research and you will find that those soldiers that can't cope once they are out of service had some kind of mental illness before they even joined. Your are hurting soldiers, airmen, and every other military individual by making the statement you made. I for one have been out of the Army for 8 years, and in that time have been employed in the civilian sector, and I am doing just fine! Your brother had mental issues, and unfortunately as a result, HE killed himself; the military didn't do it, but maybe the military should do special testing to prevent people like your brother from joining.
r b clearfield

Layton, UT

#5 Feb 15, 2010
they need to have someone from the outside do an investigation also they may want to talk to the families who lost a loved one to find out what was going on.if its was the job or wrongdoing they need to tell someone. they say the truth shall set you free.
rgb

Layton, UT

#6 Feb 24, 2010
if they really want to know why they need to ask the right people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Layton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pranks to Telemarketers May 11 Anonymous 1
Why are Mormons so racist and judgemental? (Nov '08) May 11 Anonymous 201
LDS church or seminaries next to PUBLIC SCHOOLS... (Apr '11) May 10 Anonymous 15
Anybody remembers the I Love You Man May 10 Anonymous 1
News MAX ROTH: Max Roth's Bio (Jun '10) Mar '17 Steve 4
Layton Music Selection (Aug '12) Dec '16 Musikologist 16
News Woman claims Layton officer groped her in unwar... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Bhoughton 1

Layton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Layton Mortgages