What happend To Layland?

Posted in the Layland Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lewis Beaver

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#1 May 3, 2009
I know Layland was a minning town. But I looked on the satalite pitchers and there isn't anything left. I was born in Layland 2 Oct 1954 My Mothers Name Fay Jacobs My Father Name Nathan Beaver. They lived there most Of there life. My father was in the Air Force. I now live In
Groß-Zimmern Germany and would just like to know?

Lewis Beaver
Sherri Williams

Syracuse, OH

#2 Jun 4, 2009
I do know there is still a working post office there, but i believe that is all. My late boyfriend Roger Ayers lived there, grew up in Danese.
Dena Bragg

United States

#3 Mar 16, 2010
I too was born at Layland Wv Oct 1954..My father worked for Kirby Lumber Co ...No one ever seems to remember Kirby Lumber Co. But it was at Chestnut Knob from the 1950's through the 1960's...and I went to Layland Elementary ...with a Claude Bragg and a Kinder boy and a girl called Debbie & Mrs Berry was one of my teachers.
Thats all I remember...We moved due to my father retiring...I went back to Laylanda year or so ago and have been on google maps looking there is very very little left ..It is so sad.
Moodswings

United States

#4 Oct 2, 2010
I Live in Layland I own 2 of the old coal company Houses & 2 acres of land we might not have alot of city things but boy do we have country, Beautiful woods & wild animals and ya couldn't ask for no better place to raise children away from all of the drugs & te corruption that alot of the big cities have got going on yea things happen but ya just don't hear of it as often as ya do in the bigger towns
layland visitor

Beckley, WV

#5 Oct 2, 2010
Moodswings wrote:
I Live in Layland I own 2 of the old coal company Houses & 2 acres of land we might not have alot of city things but boy do we have country, Beautiful woods & wild animals and ya couldn't ask for no better place to raise children away from all of the drugs & te corruption that alot of the big cities have got going on yea things happen but ya just don't hear of it as often as ya do in the bigger towns
i visit layland frequently and when the sun goes down the BOYZ come out to play and there's a lot of butt kickn and crazy drivers in that neck of the woods. And if you piss off one person YOU'LL HAVE THE WHOLE FAMILY GANG INCLUDING THE MOMMAS on Ya thats the difference in Layland. Drugs are low raited but Butt Kickn is a priority! No Cops patrol the area- theyre afraid too... hehehehe
Moodswings

United States

#6 Oct 3, 2010
Well a good ol'country a** whoopin never hurt no one ! But How many lives our taken away because of drugs!And At Least these boys are men enough to use there D*mn fist & not Guns!!
Moodswings

United States

#7 Oct 3, 2010
Further more Family is suposed to stick together!!And your Right momma will be first to stand up for children we don't throw them in the dumpsters
Ms Betty B Cloud

Baltimore, MD

#8 Feb 5, 2011
I was born in Layland West Virginia,I'm 65 ytears old now , I live in Baltimore Maryland I came to Balto Md when I was 9 yrs old, but I've never forgotten layland Wv and never will! There were 11 of us all together Dora Lee ,Barbara(Bobanne) Ann,James(Frank) Francis, Alma(Bubbie) Dorothy (Dot) Charles E dward (ED) Shirley (Big6)Betty (Tick)(Me) Dennis(Dink) Sammie Lee(Sammy)Robert H(Robby) we knew The Rogers, Lorean,Jimmy,and The Snells Helen Snelland The Poindexters. We went to Laurel Creek School & Quinnamount & Stratton High School. My Father Mr Ruben Cloud married to Mrs Callie Cloud worked in the Coal Mines in Layland Wv
My Grandmother Mrs Alma Rudolph lived in Beckley Wv . We still own land & a Home there,you see "I Too Am A Coalminer's Daughter!
Wv is still my home!The Rhinehardts, The Walkers, The Anthony's
The Kemps,TheBradfords,"My Heart Will Always Be in Them Thar Hills!"
Layland girl

Beckley, WV

#9 Sep 10, 2011
Hey Dena? My family's last name is Bragg. Maybe we are kin. I also went to school around and about that time and one of my school teachers names' was Dorothy Berry. Can't wait to hear from you. Best regards.
A Longing For Home

Baltimore, MD

#10 Oct 28, 2011
Well I am back again! I lived in Layland Wv all of my life, born and bred there, I now live on N Carrollton Ave. I 've enrolled in a GED program at The Learning Bank of Coil we were suppose to start back on the 18th of Oct, 2011 ,but that didn't happen, most of the other students left and went up to BonSecure Hospice GED Program I need my Education now more than ever, I quit school earlier than I'de planned I remember our teacher Mrs Fairfax at Laurel Creek i also remember Mr Ferry he was my brother Frank's teacher my brother could draw very well. I love my family , my greatgrands as well always remember "Life Goes on!
I miss them all and will never forget them ,but as we all know you get one raising and a life time of Love! So to all of you who remember The Clouds of West Virginia my roots will always be as I say again "In Them Thar Hills! e-mail me if you knew my family Do any one remember Doodle Bug?He use to live up on the tracks.'Til we meet again.Remember the Poindexters? Mama Lara?
Dena

Summersville, WV

#11 Nov 12, 2011
Layland girl wrote:
Hey Dena? My family's last name is Bragg. Maybe we are kin. I also went to school around and about that time and one of my school teachers names' was Dorothy Berry. Can't wait to hear from you. Best regards.
Layland girl....I went to Layland Grade School & was there in the early 1960's I had Dorothy Berry for my teacher...My Bragg family actually came from Hinton WV. I enjoyed my time there..but it has changed a great deal makes me feel so lonesome to come back...but all the old towns have changed...Great to hear from a Layland Girl..
CLOUDS OHTHEM THAR HILLS

Baltimore, MD

#12 Dec 17, 2011
I WAS BORN IN LAYLAND WV FAMILY NAME:RUBEN AND CALLIE CLOUD AND PLEASE DON'T FORGET UNCLE JOHN!DORA LEE WAS THE OLDEST OF ALL OF US ROBERT IS THE YOUNGEST OF ALL I REMEMBER EMMA JEAN RHINEHARDT, SAMMIE JANE BRADFORD, MY TEACHER'S NAME WAS MS FAIRFAX! I ALSO REMEMBER MR FERRY HE WAS THE OLDER ONES TEACHER. WE CALLED MY GRANDMOTHER "BIGGIE" NOT GRANDMOTHER! THERE ARE ONLY THREE OF US LEFT OUT OF ELEVEN SHIRLEY, ROBERT AND ME(BETTY)BETTER KNOWN AS "TICK' AS I LOOK BACK I MISS THOSE GOOD DAYS WHICH WILL NEVER BE AGAIN. LAYLAND WILL NEVER BE GONE AS LONG AS THE PEOPLE FROM THERE IS ALIVE!!! And That's Forever!!!!!!!!!!
Bob

Washington, MI

#13 Aug 5, 2012
I was born in Layland in 1942 and left there at the end of the school year in 1955. I go back every year for the Layland reunion. West Virginia is truly God's country.
Delores Jean Layland

Portland, OR

#14 Sep 1, 2012
I have somehow stumbled on this site. How great is that. My family were from Oshchoton, Ohio. William Howard Layland was my grandfather. Any cousins out there? I do not see this name in many places.
Anonymous

Orlando, FL

#15 Oct 24, 2012
My Grandparent's Charlie and Dessie Wiseman lived in Layland, WV while I was growing up until Grandpa retired in the 1950s! I have great memories and would love a picture of the town in the 1950s! Granddaughter Charlene ( Charley Wiseman -Daughter of Loren Ray and Ann Wiseman).
LShroyer

Middle River, MD

#16 Aug 7, 2013
My grandparents (Charles and Ulledene)lived in Layland, W. Virginia. Their last name was Jones. They had a lot of children. My mothers name was Julia (born 1926).
Anyone remember them? Thank you.
Mary A

Washington, DC

#17 Sep 10, 2013
I lived in Layland from 1947 (?)to; 1953(?) as the doctor's daughter. My dad was Dr. Heagarty and he moved to Beckley right before the mine began to slow down. I remember my time there as full of exploring up in the hills and being afraid of running into a rattle snake. And didn't we play ll there with some of the first friends I ever made. and didn't we play kick-the-can till way after dark? My heart is sti. And Mr. Twohig, who taught Math.(There was a reunion in 1996 or so...
4 posts removed
Lobo

Sutton, WV

#22 Jan 19, 2014
Whatever happened to Helen Bays and Maxine Gill? Two hotties who went to Nuttall High School in the early 70's.
rrice

Saint Albans, WV

#23 Feb 3, 2014
When was the new Layland School built?
New Layland resident

Washington, DC

#24 Feb 23, 2014
I would love to know more of the history of Layland. I was driving through and fell in love with Layland. It's been a year since we moved here and it's been very hard finding out information on the coal industry, schools, churches and social gatherings. Can anybody help ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Layland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Searching for Petie or Petey (Feb '11) Nov '14 which 15
Who do you support for U.S. House in West Virgi... (Oct '10) Sep '14 Winner 1,765
What is Layland like today Jul '14 Ron 1
Greg Berry (Jan '14) Jan '14 Haha 1
meatman with pills... (Feb '11) Jul '13 neighborhood 5
Successfully Educated in Layland-CR (Dec '12) Dec '12 Searching to Succ... 1
polling location (Nov '12) Nov '12 new voter 1
Layland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Layland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Layland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Layland