Mom says children were unjustly taken away

Full story: Altus Times

Imagine being a single mother of two and having your children ripped from you. This is what happened to Kelli Lopez, who feels that her children were unjustly taken from her.
Comments
41 - 55 of 55 Comments Last updated Jul 15, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Let-U-Tell-It

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

How long were you with this man and is this man the boys father?
DHS Cant

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2010

Judged:

In OK, DHS cannot "take" children on their own. They could personally witness an act of abuse, couldn't do a thing. DHS must have a court order prior to removing children. Only cops can remove children without a court order, and then only in an emergency.
Any overhaul of the system has to go further than DHS.
Ironic

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2010

Judged:

What is funny is that most of the people who complain about DHS are always in the office getting food stamps, daycare subsidy, electric bill help, housing help, and God only knows whatever else DHS offers. So, if you hate DHS so much how about you stop getting welfare so that maybe one day my taxes won't be so high.

I have personally seen HUNDREDS of cases where mother's deserved to have their children taken away from them. I have seen cases where mother's are pregnant with their 5th + child and are meth/crack/pot etc... addicts. DHS shows up and takes the newborns right from the hospital. Good. AND, domestic violence disgusts me. Men that hit woman need to be shot. Before someone says that I can't judge a domestic violence situation, I was in a HIGHLY abusive relationship when I was younger but was not stupid enough to stick around for long. For someone to say "he only hit me. He never hit my kids and never would" (I hear that A LOT) how in the hell do you know that once he had you knocked out and on the floor he wouldn't turn on your babies because his rage had not been calmed? I think that any woman who sticks around and irresponsibly lets her children be around a potentially dangerous situation SHOULD lose her children. Look what happened to that poor child from Geronimo (Aja Johnson I believe was her name). That was the most heartbreaking story. The mother lost her life and the beautiful little girl lost hers as well because of mom's abusive husband.

Having a job where I come in close contact with children and help them get back to a healthy state, I have a bleeding heart for children so yes, I am a bit hateful toward ANYONE who would even toy around with a potentially dangerous situation. I completely agree that sometimes, in fact OFTEN, DHS does not do enough to prevent problems. However, in the MANY cases that I have seen where the children WERE taken away, there was just cause. Additionally, like the poster above this said, DHS can't do ANYTHING without a court order. There HAS to be an investigation. The problem with many of the parents who don't think they did anything wrong is because they cannot see how living in poverty, not having enough healthy food or clean water, not bathing, OR living in a filthy house with bugs and feces everywhere is dangerous and causes MANY adverse health conditions. People seem to think that the only reason children should be taken away from their parents is if the children get hit or molested. Neglect is also horrible...
Ironic

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2010

PS- No, I do not work for DHS nor do I have the desire to
Nunya

Fredericksburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2010

Judged:

BIL wrote:
DHS what a joke. I have four documented cases of neglect and two of child endangerment of my daughter by her mother and DHS did nothing. DHS is designed to break up a good family if possible and keep children in home conditions that break down the traditional family lifestyle. It's what the entire DHS program was designed to do.
There are many very clear cases of child abuse and child neglect by women in lawton that the courts there grant custody to and continues to make allowances for because DHS workers there also try to keep the children with the mother even when she is not the better choice for the child. But you can't really blame the judges they have to rely on the DHS workers input.
Lawton is very good about keeping the children in the women's custody even when they are abusive, neglectful, alcoholics, drug addicts even after being convicted of prostitution because the DHS authorities there know the "mostly male" soldier's will PCS but the women won't and what better way to keep the child support checks currently being spent in Lawton.= job security #1
The mere fact that someone is raising a child in Lawton, Oklahoma is child abuse....
Nunya

Fredericksburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2010

Ironic wrote:
What is funny is that most of the people who complain about DHS are always in the office getting food stamps, daycare subsidy, electric bill help, housing help, and God only knows whatever else DHS offers. So, if you hate DHS so much how about you stop getting welfare so that maybe one day my taxes won't be so high.
I have personally seen HUNDREDS of cases where mother's deserved to have their children taken away from them. I have seen cases where mother's are pregnant with their 5th + child and are meth/crack/pot etc... addicts. DHS shows up and takes the newborns right from the hospital. Good. AND, domestic violence disgusts me. Men that hit woman need to be shot. Before someone says that I can't judge a domestic violence situation, I was in a HIGHLY abusive relationship when I was younger but was not stupid enough to stick around for long. For someone to say "he only hit me. He never hit my kids and never would" (I hear that A LOT) how in the hell do you know that once he had you knocked out and on the floor he wouldn't turn on your babies because his rage had not been calmed? I think that any woman who sticks around and irresponsibly lets her children be around a potentially dangerous situation SHOULD lose her children. Look what happened to that poor child from Geronimo (Aja Johnson I believe was her name). That was the most heartbreaking story. The mother lost her life and the beautiful little girl lost hers as well because of mom's abusive husband.
Having a job where I come in close contact with children and help them get back to a healthy state, I have a bleeding heart for children so yes, I am a bit hateful toward ANYONE who would even toy around with a potentially dangerous situation. I completely agree that sometimes, in fact OFTEN, DHS does not do enough to prevent problems. However, in the MANY cases that I have seen where the children WERE taken away, there was just cause. Additionally, like the poster above this said, DHS can't do ANYTHING without a court order. There HAS to be an investigation. The problem with many of the parents who don't think they did anything wrong is because they cannot see how living in poverty, not having enough healthy food or clean water, not bathing, OR living in a filthy house with bugs and feces everywhere is dangerous and causes MANY adverse health conditions. People seem to think that the only reason children should be taken away from their parents is if the children get hit or molested. Neglect is also horrible...
Shutup...you talk to much...
vrk

Wyoming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

are you kidding me? for the people who claim to know this fairy tale of an idea that cps always does the right thing and wouldnt take the kids away for a good reason is a fricken joke. the whole system is a joke. this is happening everywhere in the U.S. as stated earlier they rip kids out of good familys and dont give a damn when the kid really needs to be taken. practically anyone can be a foster parent, all you have to do is take a class and bam you are a foster parent. no security checks, but the system claims that they have the best interest of child at heart. where is they're best interest when the child is getting molested or abuse of some kind in the foster home? when the home they were taken from in the first place was alot safer than the foster home they were in? what do they do to protect those children? when the parent fights for their child in a biased kangaroo court. how do they live with themselves?
Researching

Capitola, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

I have read over all the current posts

I am doing a paper on how there are too many kids in foster homes, many waiting for thereturn of their parents and many others to be adopted, and I have to come up with solutions for the crises.
Researching and reading all the comments above, I have decided that one will be for the DHS (could someone post what it actually means?) is taking kids away for the smallest reason dumbest reasons so far. I encountered a good article of the reason why they are taken away is because the adption services (though they may actually care about the child) benefit from adopting because of all the money. People are fooled sometimes. I don't want to be biased, but who would be willing to provide their name and situation from why their kid was taken away, when, and where, and what has happened or is currentlly happening to your child? I would use it for my report as a solution that the DHS should do a better job and not take away kids from their families as a solution for the thousands of kids currently in foster care.
Thank you.

check out this article. It's a real eye opener and may actually ahve to do with you. However please keep an open mind and remember that this doesn't apply to all agencies or in all cases. Although you have personally been wronged by the DHS some might have been righted by the same system.

http://www.exiledmothers.com/speaking_out/dom...
Researching

Capitola, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

All truth from one perspective, search for others, and create your own
faith

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2011

Ok where can a mother get help in phila Pa. DHS took my daughter.Dont have money for Laywer. Laywer that they gave me .Is not any good. HELP
Ironic

Enid, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2011

Nunya wrote:
<quoted text>
Shutup...you talk to much...
TOO much
vickie

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Aida Saldana Cisneros wrote:
When asking for guardianship of my grandson. DHS didn't even call my three references. why fill out all those papers and write letters, etc. etc. if they have made up their mind.
i know the felling i filled out kinship for my grandchildren and never got a response
warning warning

Norman, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Nunya wrote:
<quoted text>
The mere fact that someone is raising a child in Lawton, Oklahoma is child abuse....
hahaahaa outstanding....you made my day.
eve

Poughkeepsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

I am the mother of 3 - the exact same dam thing happend to me - the same judge who granted my immediate order of protection against my ex BC he was so abusive toward myself and my 2 yar old twins , who were only infants at the time, in addition to nonstop" "discipline" toward my now 5 yr old daughter whom endured beating after beating all because she would beg her daddy to stop hitting mommy - I swear@ 5 yrs she's seen and remembered details of entirely way too much. The judge granted him residential custody but with shared legal custody only by "default" because I made Every effort to show my hospitalization records from missing my court date - yet my court appointed attorney neglected to object - so even tho the "papers" my ex brought to my home with an officer said to continue with the arringed schedule - which my days are Tuesday's- Saturdays , yet he only vists on his days when he chooses to, MY EX DETACHED THE SCHEDUEL FROM THE COURT PAPERS, and had stolen my kids last week on my designated days, refusing to allow me visitation or an opportunity to even speak to my kids - I have proof and evidence of my ex & his spouses drug abuse, my exses 2 other kids by different women, in addition to proof of every ounce of both psyical & mental abuse toards me and my kids - what do I do from here ??? I live in the hudson valley of New York State.
I only wish

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

I hate seeing kids taken from homes on false accusations when they really could be taking the ones who are doing wrong to their children. I wish I could adopt a child whose parents cant take care of him or her simply because I cannot have one! This is ridiculous!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lawton Discussions

Search the Lawton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 26 min Maddy 71,311
Illegal Safe House at 2704 N/E 9th 16 hr fitness-guru 3
Review: Mystique Nail & Spa (Jul '10) Jul 22 FedUp 29
gangs in lawton - is this sickening or what? (Sep '07) Jul 22 No one important 166
Illegal Alien camp Jul 21 Serrano Red 2
taylor stein attorney (Jul '11) Jul 19 monica antoine 25
OK Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) Jul 17 Jose 2,590
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lawton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lawton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••