Mom says children were unjustly taken...

Mom says children were unjustly taken away

There are 57 comments on the Altus Times story from Sep 26, 2005, titled Mom says children were unjustly taken away. In it, Altus Times reports that:

Imagine being a single mother of two and having your children ripped from you. This is what happened to Kelli Lopez, who feels that her children were unjustly taken from her.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Altus Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
BIL

United States

#1 Jan 13, 2006
DHS what a joke. I have four documented cases of neglect and two of child endangerment of my daughter by her mother and DHS did nothing. DHS is designed to break up a good family if possible and keep children in home conditions that break down the traditional family lifestyle. It's what the entire DHS program was designed to do.
There are many very clear cases of child abuse and child neglect by women in lawton that the courts there grant custody to and continues to make allowances for because DHS workers there also try to keep the children with the mother even when she is not the better choice for the child. But you can't really blame the judges they have to rely on the DHS workers input.
Lawton is very good about keeping the children in the women's custody even when they are abusive, neglectful, alcoholics, drug addicts even after being convicted of prostitution because the DHS authorities there know the "mostly male" soldier's will PCS but the women won't and what better way to keep the child support checks currently being spent in Lawton.= job security #1
M Taxpayer

Fort Sill, OK

#2 Jul 26, 2006
About 4 years ago, I went to see a family doctor about my daughter's stomach virus. I was concerned about her dehydrating. The doctor, Major Keving Whitney of RACH, told me that my child was failure to thrive, and started performing tests on her. While she was still sick he wanted her blood drawn. I started feeling threatened by his accusatory attitude and put in for a different doctor. 3 days later DHS came and took away all 3 of my kids. I ended up in Dr. Solitario's office as well who told me that PB&J is not a good lunch and that I was pretty much screwing everything up. After all of my children were out of my home for a week and stuck in a foster home where the woman did not even provide new toothbrushes,(She rinsed someone else's for them to use) I ended up getting my children back. The charges were proven unsubstantiated and the doctor did the same thing to another woman I met just 2 years later. No telling how many in between or since. Doctor Solitario must get to see them all and tell us we're stupid.
Granny

AOL

#3 Oct 1, 2007
Over 12 yrs. ago yr. daughter turned herDad in for pot. he done his time which was 3 months. DHS never took her from us. our oldest daughter has always lived with us and our 11 yr. old grand daughter as well. she had a son 5 yrs. ago that died from sids. so image how happy we all were to hear she was going to give us another grand child. another grandson too..... so now he's going to be 2 months old in a few week's but DHS took him because they said she drank and smoked pot while she was carrying him. which is a big crock of crap......... as i said they live her and after losing their last baby, she had a couple of miscarriage's, and did everything her DR. told her to do to make sure this baby got here.....now DHS won't let hubby and i have grandson, so he's with our younger daughter. becaused we failed to protect her back when she turned her dad in for pot.......we're glad that it happened back yrs. ago because every since we've had a bus. that does good for us all. and were closer as a whole family. but where is it right for DHS to hold that against hubby and i when we have our grand daughter with us everyday. our daughter's are our live's but our grandkid's are our heart's that are being tore out of us.the damn law need's to be changed so DHS can't do this to families.......... lawton, ok.
Hmmm

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Nov 8, 2007
Before this thread heats up, I will say this story is NOT accurate.
Cheated by DHS TOO

United States

#5 May 14, 2008
I am a mother of 3 children. In October 2003 I filed for divorce from a 2 LT. Because he made more money he was given primary care of the children. In October of 2004 after I remarried he took me back to court for full custody. He won after judge Lewis told me that I had better sign the papers or I would have to go to court and he would be the judge over the case and make sure I didnt get custody. Not knowing what else to do and being afraid to lose my kids, I signed the papers. To make a long story short I had to pay child support. That means DSH was involved. I was ordered to pay $400 a month. My gross monthly income was only 1200 and his was $7800. In November of 2007 I knew I was moving out of Oklahoma and would not be working. I filed paper work for an income review. They told me it would take 6 months. I told them that after Dec 10 I would not be working. I was told to "pay what you can". With not working I could not afford to pay anything for 3 months. I finally made a payment and that was not good enough. Now the was my drivers lic and access to my bank account. In May 2008 when the review was supposed to be done the assigned me a NEW CASE WORKER who just started working on my case. Now I am being told that in order to keep my drivers lic we have to have a court date. I still am not working and my ex husband now makes $10,000 a month. I understand that paying child support is important, but if the primary care taker doesnt spend it on the kids what are you supposed to do. I send money to my kids to spend on them selves. I THINK DHS (LAWTON) IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!
DHS SUCKS

United States

#6 May 18, 2008
Hmmm wrote:
Before this thread heats up, I will say this story is NOT accurate.
You must be a DHS worker. Because in your eyes you do no WRONG!!
well

United States

#7 May 27, 2008
most people who gets their children taken from them dont think their doing wrong even if there sitting their doing dope in front of there children,so of course you think youve done know wrong ,and im going to school to work at dhs!!!!!

Since: May 08

Duke, OK

#8 May 28, 2008
WOW!! The pay for a butter bar is like 4x higher than when I served. To be making $10,000 a month he must have skipped all the ranks and went right to Major General (do they even make that much?). Something is wrong with this story given by the lady from Georgia.

With todays technology you could probably pull up the pay scale for military officers.
Cheated By DHS TOO

United States

#9 May 28, 2008
Chuckster wrote:
WOW!! The pay for a butter bar is like 4x higher than when I served. To be making $10,000 a month he must have skipped all the ranks and went right to Major General (do they even make that much?). Something is wrong with this story given by the lady from Georgia.
With todays technology you could probably pull up the pay scale for military officers.
You must not be familar with the Army SMART ASS!! You know they do have such things as BAH (housing) and other stuff theu get paid for, if you add it all together you get around that amount. He had to provide an LES!! There is nothing wrong with me. I only told the truth. So you can just judge me as you please. All I know is that I had a crooked judge.
Cheated By DHS TOO

United States

#10 May 28, 2008
also CHUCKSTER if you look at the date that was OVER 4 years ago. He is now a Major. Some people think the know everything!!!!

“Ignorance is not bliss”

Since: Jun 08

United States

#11 Jun 17, 2008
Cheated by DHS TOO wrote:
He won after judge Lewis told me that I had better sign the papers or I would have to go to court and he would be the judge over the case and make sure I didnt get custody. Not knowing what else to do and being afraid to lose my kids, I signed the papers.
Did you not have a lawyer? Because Oklahoma is "mother favoring" state and unless there were allegations made against you I can't imagine them giving them to him just because he made more money. In most cases, that only leads to bigger child support payments for the mother. Especially since he is active military.

Also, I have to say that men are often in your very same position and make the same complaints about what the money is spent on and whatnot and are told the same thing. "Tough noogies...collect cans if you have to." Personally, I think if you can't afford to pay child support then it doesn't make sense that you can afford to move. But then again I don't know your whole situation so I can't really say one way or another.

However, if your story IS true, I would suggest visiting legal aid and trying to find an attorney who wants to make a name for himself and go back to court.

United States

#12 Jun 20, 2008
First of all the judge was judge Lewis. If you have been in Lawton very long then you know what I am talking about.

Second I do not mind paying child support. They are my kids and they do deserve child support. That is not the problem. I did not have an attorney. this happened in 2003 or 04. I can afford to pay what is due now. This was a few years back when I could not afford to pay the amount they wanted. Now I am blessed I dont have to work and the suppot gets paid.

I do agree that most men get screwed by DHS, and the mothers will take their exs back to court if they get a $10 a week raise. I just think there needs to be a person that is not bias to work these cases.

TiffonysHistory wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you not have a lawyer? Because Oklahoma is "mother favoring" state and unless there were allegations made against you I can't imagine them giving them to him just because he made more money. In most cases, that only leads to bigger child support payments for the mother. Especially since he is active military.
Also, I have to say that men are often in your very same position and make the same complaints about what the money is spent on and whatnot and are told the same thing. "Tough noogies...collect cans if you have to." Personally, I think if you can't afford to pay child support then it doesn't make sense that you can afford to move. But then again I don't know your whole situation so I can't really say one way or another.
However, if your story IS true, I would suggest visiting legal aid and trying to find an attorney who wants to make a name for himself and go back to court.

United States

#13 Jun 20, 2008
I have NEVER done drugs in my life. I am a great mom and my kids want to live with me not their dad. I have 2 more years until the youngest is old enought to decide. Then they are coming to live with me.

How can you work with DHS and have a judgemental attitude? You have never met me and know nothing about me. When you get hired by DHS give me your e-mail address and I will give you all the information about me you need to look at my case. Then you can see that what I am saying is the truth. I can pass a lie detector test and a drug test with flying colors. BRING IT ON!! I am not afraid. I know who I am and so do my kids.

Its people like you that give DHS a BAD name.
well wrote:
most people who gets their children taken from them dont think their doing wrong even if there sitting their doing dope in front of there children,so of course you think youve done know wrong ,and im going to school to work at dhs!!!!!
lareed

Bettendorf, IA

#14 Jun 25, 2008
well wrote:
You know thats the problem with dhs and future dhs workers. Yes, there are rotten parents that treat their children like crap,they do dope, make dope whatever their thing is, and they should lose their kids.But after years of dealing with rotten parents dhs workers lose their site to see the good in any parent. when a dhs worker looks at a parent all they see is unfit. Even if that parent isn't doing dope or drinking or hitting or anything but they need some help getting their life under control. Getting out of poverty, get a car that runs, makes an effort to better to become something. They attend every parenting class in the county and do it well. Pass every drug test, finish their college degree and get a great job. But still dhs has made up their mind along time ago for no reunification because the grandparents have a beautiful home, nice cars and lots of money. The parent in this case done everything they asked and did it well. but the promise of reunification never was kept. Dhs even fired the in-home worker because they said she was too much in line with the client. She handled all the visits and wrote up positive reports for over a year and a half. But still this parent who had never been arested for anything ever. Still lost her gaurdingship, tell me why. When people ask me why i have no answer for them. I think it was because I was poor at the time. To the one who will become a dhs worker, please remember, even dhs makes mistakes and try not to let all the bad that you see blind you from the ones that just need a little help and are good loving parents.

Benton, AR

#15 Jun 26, 2008
lareed wrote:
<quoted text>
You know thats the problem with dhs and future dhs workers. Yes, there are rotten parents that treat their children like crap,they do dope, make dope whatever their thing is, and they should lose their kids.But after years of dealing with rotten parents dhs workers lose their site to see the good in any parent. when a dhs worker looks at a parent all they see is unfit. Even if that parent isn't doing dope or drinking or hitting or anything but they need some help getting their life under control. Getting out of poverty, get a car that runs, makes an effort to better to become something. They attend every parenting class in the county and do it well. Pass every drug test, finish their college degree and get a great job. But still dhs has made up their mind along time ago for no reunification because the grandparents have a beautiful home, nice cars and lots of money. The parent in this case done everything they asked and did it well. but the promise of reunification never was kept. Dhs even fired the in-home worker because they said she was too much in line with the client. She handled all the visits and wrote up positive reports for over a year and a half. But still this parent who had never been arested for anything ever. Still lost her gaurdingship, tell me why. When people ask me why i have no answer for them. I think it was because I was poor at the time. To the one who will become a dhs worker, please remember, even dhs makes mistakes and try not to let all the bad that you see blind you from the ones that just need a little help and are good loving parents.
I agree with you. Growing up my step mother was VERY VERY abusive. From hitting me in the face with frying pans, pulling my hair, to making me stand in the corner for up to 15 hours at a time. When DHS was called they asked us what happened and the first time being the young nieve child that I was I told the truth. They went to her and said ok what is going on, this is what the kids said. After they left I really got the hell beat out of me. From that day forward I never told DHS the truth. I always told them things where fine. I had to lie to survive.

I vowed to myself that my children would not grow up this way and they have not. I have never beat my kids or made them stand in a corner. If guilty of anything it is letting them get away with too much.

DHS workers need to open their eyes and see that their are people out there that are good parents. But they dont. They just see the bad in everyone, maybe they see to much bad and not enough good.
Want to KNOW

Greenbrier, AR

#16 Feb 23, 2009
I suspect from reading this post that DHS is something like DFS in Missouri.

I think there are a lot of case workers that get paid off and there fore side with who ever has the most moo la.
Homegirl

Lawton, OK

#17 Feb 25, 2009
DHS stands for Dumb, Hideous, and Stupid!
BIG-D

Altus, OK

#18 Jun 27, 2009
Cheated By DHS TOO wrote:
<quoted text>
You must not be familar with the Army SMART ASS!! You know they do have such things as BAH (housing) and other stuff theu get paid for, if you add it all together you get around that amount. He had to provide an LES!! There is nothing wrong with me. I only told the truth. So you can just judge me as you please. All I know is that I had a crooked judge.
that money has to be spent on what it is given for or he can go to the brig for it. it's called failure to support
BIG-D

Altus, OK

#19 Jun 27, 2009
and i seriously think he makes that much. my uncle was a chief master seargent and the area 7 commodor of recruiting and still did not make that much. NAVY PRIDE. by the way the armed forces may be different individually but rank is still rank
Aida Saldana Cisneros

Fontana, CA

#20 Jul 15, 2009
Today was the saddest day of my life...DHS caseworker wrote a perfect report of my husband and myself. But the bottom line was that my grandson would be given to the paternal grandparents since he's been there since his dad was arrested and they didn't want to uproot him again. My daughter has to comply with orders of the court and the dad is facing time. In the meantime my grandchild has only seen his sister for one hour in the last 6 months, and us for probably 3 hours in the last 6 months. Now it's up to the paternal grandparents to give us visitation....oh and may I add they told my 4 year old grandson it was my fault he had been taken from mom/dad.....they forgot that it was the dad that was doing illegal things. Pray for me. I miss him so much and I don't want him to forget us and be deprived of love and affection from his other family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lawton has changed Sun gearge 3
Amber Wuergler is an Idiot Sun I Hate Amber 9
Has anyone used Jims Car Care Aug 28 Floyd 2
Lawton Police officer Showing up Drunk for Work Aug 26 Randell 7
News Fort Sill Soldier Dies In Training Accident (Oct '07) Aug 21 Things happen 66
Texing and Driving Aug 16 Bobby Ray 1
lawton cops (Oct '09) Aug 10 a lawton citizen 15
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lawton Mortgages