Shots fired inside St. Paula s Colleg...

Shots fired inside St. Paula s College dorm

There are 9 comments on the WSLS-TV Roanoke story from Oct 28, 2008, titled Shots fired inside St. Paula s College dorm. In it, WSLS-TV Roanoke reports that:

Someone fired three shots into the ceiling of a dormitory at Saint Paul's College in Lawrenceville Monday morning, a school official said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSLS-TV Roanoke.

Kiwaney Simmons

Annandale, VA

#1 Oct 29, 2008
I just removed my Son from this college. I don't recommend anyone putting their child there. They have been many shootings at this school since it opened this year in August. A kid was stabbed there too. This is a very violent place and I've written every President, Vice President, and faculty there with my concerns of the kids safety there before removing my son two weeks ago and to date - not one of them has even responded to me. My Son's opinion is that those in Authority at the school don't care about the kids at all - it's just a pay check for them. We are certainly very disappointed since this was my Son's first college experience. The school is dirty and poorly kept.
borninva

Alexandria, VA

#2 Nov 9, 2008
In addition to shots fired at SPC, other schools have reported shooting such as: http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-con...
Do not look at life through rose colored glasses. Unfortunately, shootings are happening all of the place. It is our responsiblity to be proactive and engaged in our children's lives. If the school was so dirty and poorly kept, why leave your child there for a whole semester?
I have attended a great university that did have a shooting, I did not leave. I stayed and made sure the number of focused stuents outnumbered the troublemakers. Your son may need to be closer to you if you have not taught him how to advocate for himself. The focused students have to take control and advocate for increased security and the dismissal of troublemakers. I do not see any reports of other shootings or a stabbing incident by those students. Where are your facts????
Gotti

AOL

#3 Nov 16, 2008
The young man stab was visiting friends that attended St Paulís. I took out his stitches. I have also removed my son. He and his roommate had their TVs, computers, and X- boxes stolen. It took multiple phone calls to have the lock on his dorm door replaced. Even then it was not repaired correctly and more items were stolen. Those in administration could care less. They give false hope to parents and students who were ďaverageĒ in high school. Tutoring is promised, but unavailable. The place is a ghetto, filled with students who have criminal backgrounds, and administrators who cannot even speak Ebonics correctly.
Gotti

AOL

#4 Nov 16, 2008
The young man stab was visiting friends that attended St Paulís. I took out his stitches. I have also removed my son. He and his roommate had their TVs, computers, and X- boxes stolen. It took multiple phone calls to have the lock on his dorm door replaced. Even then it was not repaired correctly and more items were stolen. Those in administration could care less. They give false hope to parents and students who were ďaverageĒ in high school. Tutoring is promised, but unavailable. The place is a ghetto, filled with students who have criminal backgrounds, and administrators who cannot even speak Ebonics correctly.
borninva

Alexandria, VA

#5 Dec 1, 2008
I almost laughed when I saw your comment...then I realized you must be serious because you sent it twice? Let's review what you said.
1. The young man was visiting friends? How and why was he visiting friends? L'ville is not a vacation destination. Maybe, he came to start trouble? Why was he not at his school? It's a school not a place for social gatherings.
2. You took out his stitches? What kind of craziness is this? Are you a doctor? Where are his parents?
3. I also removed my son? You did right. Your son was so focused on his visiting friends, TV, x-box, etc that he was probably not even studying. Why would you allow your child to take all of these expensive items to a school that you believed was "ghetto"?
4. Listen, school is what you make it. From you description, your son was looking for another place to lounge and be an "average" student. Tutoring is available to those that seek it, not for those that sit in their room, playing games, having friends over and waiting for the tutor to come to their dorm room and knock.
5. PS There is no correct way to speak Ebonics - that's why it is Ebonics.

Please, keep us updated on your son's progress. I would love to know what school accepts his behaviors. If there were any false hopes, it came from you hoping he would do better when he already presented as "average" in your home.
Faith

Danville, VA

#6 Dec 8, 2008
First, Saint Paulís College has its faults as well as any other college or university. It is not doing well as others in certain areas, however, no one should make the school seems like it is the worst place in the world. Instead of downing the school, people like you all need to support and assist in the betterment of the school for the school is what we make out of it. Yes, it had it share of violence this fall semester. Before this semester, what did your son and you hear about SPC? We have a new generation of students that need more support, guidance and encouragement. Do not blame SPC for these studentsí problems and attitudes. It starts at home and a lot of the students brought the problems and attitudes with them to SPC and their way of life they live at home. A lot of students do not want to attend college but their parents forced them to come because they did not want to deal with them. Now I do agree there needs to be a better screening of these students for the best interest of the school and others and also there is a need for increased security.

You removed your son from school. So, what is he doing now? Is he working; does he plan to attend another school in January. If he is a freshman, does he have classes to transfer? As soon as the news of violence is heard, everyone one wants to call and come down and take their children out of school. What do you parents do when your child is making Ds and Fs and not attending classes, are you quick to come down and take him out because he is wasting money and taking up space where someone else who is serious about an education could be?

Do you know what Ebonics is? So if the administrator spoke Ebonics you will have a better an understanding of everything and able to communicate with the school better. Wow!!!
borninva

Alexandria, VA

#7 Dec 10, 2008
Responsible leadership at Saint Paul's College

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:10 AM EST

To the editor:

Saint Paul's College was founded in 1888 by an Episcopal Priest, the Venerable Reverend James Solomon Russell. The College will be observing the 121st anniversary of its founding in March 2009. The College has been a bedrock of continuity and service in the Lawrenceville community and throughout Brunswick County and Southside Virginia. In fact, it is the largest employer in the town of Lawrenceville.

From time to time the College has had to withstand or persevere amidst numerous tests of its viability and serviceability. For example, the occasion of some incidents of student misbehavior on the campus has been "blown out of proportion, apparently by individuals with hidden agendas whose attitudes do not reflect a concern for the well being of the College. Some of these persons are in official position. The majority of the faculty, staff and students at the College do not believe the recent letter written by the Sheriff of Brunswick County to me and discussed in the Lawrenceville Town Council meeting without proper protocol was motivated by goodwill or genuine concern for the College.

Admittedly, the College has had a "rash of incidents" at times of student misbehavior, however, the use of such terms as "cover up" of criminal or felonious behavior committed by some of our students is a gross exaggeration of the facts.

We do not know of any "cover up" and we challenge the official (s) to document these allegations. Apparently, such allegations are not only based on hearsay, misinformation and exaggerations, but are a manifestation of irresponsible behavior, on t he part of any person so inclined to make such unsubstantiated accusations without documentation. All student misbehavior or concerns are dealt with within the framework of the policies of the College. The allegation of the existence of organized gangs on the campus is without credibility or substantiation. We are not aware of any organized gangs on the campus. Clearly, without a doubt, we are cognizant that some of our students probably come from hometowns where-in they may have been affiliated with gangs. Irrespective, we will not tolerate such behavior for "one moment" when evidence of such is documented. We are professionals; we dare not "rush to judgment."

Saint Paul's College is not unlike many, if not most of our colleges and universities nowadays; that are confronting an increase in misbehavior by students. Some colleges, unfortunately have encountered fatal incidents. Contrary to what some might allege about the Administration at Saint Paul's College, we welcome the assistance of local (or other) law enforcement officers, when required. In fact, we readily call on them whenever any incident appears to be beyond the capability of our Security and Safety Staff at the College. However, we do not abdicate our responsibility of "being in charge" of the campus.

Some statements in the Sheriff's letter reflect a lack of information or familiarity. The College's "Open Door Policy" is a part of its mission; i.e., to serve the underserved and all students who meet its entrance requirements. In act, several students have been rejected who seek admission to the College, because "Open Door" does not mean without any standards. The State of Virginia Department of Education and the Commission on Colleges, SACS have time and time again approved the College's "Open Door" policy, or the College's overall mission. Over 50% of the colleges and universities in the USA have an "Open Door Policy" or some sort of it.

Saint Paul's College does screen its student applicants for admission, but within the parameter of what is legal.

Again, we emphasize our continuing theme at Saint Paul's College: "Saint Paul's College and Its Communities, Partners In The Pursuit of Excellence."

Robert O. Satcher, Ph.D.

President

Saint Paul's College
gladitsover

Miami, FL

#8 Nov 2, 2015
i remember when this happened right in front of my door. It was so unbelievable, i still to this day can not believe that i witnessed that but thank god no one got shot.
gladitsover

Miami, FL

#9 Nov 2, 2015
i went to this school when all these things happened and witnessed most of it and you people are so naive half the people who are claiming there child was a victim was the main person probably in the mist of it. you can not blame the administration you can only blame your child. And as far as the boy getting stabbed he place his hands on a female when a fight broke out and thats what happened to him so dont make it seem like he was an innocent bystander coming to visit. No one came to st pauls to visit they either came to drink, do drugs and party.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawrenceville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
O'Bannon Oct '17 daphne 1
Carol Ann Patterson (STD Warning) (Jul '13) Sep '17 What 2
the worst people in emporia va if u know one co... (May '15) Sep '17 Who 4
News Virginia Intermont College in Bristol, Va., may... (Jun '14) Sep '14 ronnie 5
News Feds apologize for miscues over immigrant kids (Jun '14) Jul '14 RayOne 117
Let's keep our immigrants in Lawrenceville (Jun '14) Jun '14 RayOne 2
News Feds pull plan to house immigrant children in V... (Jun '14) Jun '14 ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 3

Lawrenceville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lawrenceville Mortgages