Man Found Tied in Straight Jacket

Full story: WXIA Atlanta 62
Catherine Meredith thought she'd found a good, safe place for her elderly father. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Donna

United States

#1 Feb 14, 2008
How sad to think that in this day and time such things can happen. Thank God someone found him.
Tragic

Atlanta, GA

#2 Feb 14, 2008
I would have rather found my dad in a strait jacket than under a car because he escaped out of the house and got hit.

We don't know the whole story, but with mental illness and needing a full time caretaker he obviously is a handful
Gem

United States

#4 Feb 14, 2008
What is wrong with the daughter. She can't take care of her father herself. Why can't he live with her, instead of her trying to pawn him off on anyone whose willing to except a buck for his care. She should be ashamed of herself.
TC Mcdonough GA

Buford, GA

#5 Feb 14, 2008
My God what kind of agency was this person from. They called her a caregiver, this person is responsible for someones care.
I hope that your father is better taken care of this time, he doesn't deserve to be treated like an animal. He needs love and understanding from everyone, it is not his choice to have the fate of dementia. Please love him and make sure that he is given the utmost respect and care. Check on him often, this is your duty to insure that he is cared for properly. He cared for you and now it is your turn...He needs you, Love him forever.
Lorie

Nashville, TN

#6 Feb 14, 2008
Wow, you leave your home with someone immobile...unattended...leave the home... unattended...unattended...
sgm

Atlanta, GA

#7 Feb 14, 2008
Gem wrote:
What is wrong with the daughter. She can't take care of her father herself. Why can't he live with her, instead of her trying to pawn him off on anyone whose willing to except a buck for his care. She should be ashamed of herself.
If I were in her situation I would still have to work to keep aroof over my family's head. She may in that situation due to neccesity rather than choice. It is not her fault the caregiver is a moron.
sgm

Atlanta, GA

#8 Feb 14, 2008
Excuse the typos...

If I were in her situation, I would still have to work to keep a roof over my family's head. She may be in that situation due to neccesity rather than choice. It is not her fault the caregiver is a moron.
nan

Macon, GA

#9 Feb 14, 2008
what a shame,,i wonder how long this has been going on..
JMO

United States

#10 Feb 14, 2008
sgm wrote:
Excuse the typos...
If I were in her situation, I would still have to work to keep a roof over my family's head. She may be in that situation due to neccesity rather than choice. It is not her fault the caregiver is a moron.
I was thinking the same thing - she might PREFER to care for him herself, but she may have to work to support her family. Not everyone has the choice of staying home to be a caregiver, even if they want to.
Caring for someone with serious dementia is very difficult - and if you have to hire someone to do it, it's almost impossible to find someone reliable.
las

Kennesaw, GA

#11 Feb 14, 2008
"What is wrong with the daughter. She can't take care of her father herself. Why can't he live with her, instead of her trying to pawn him off on anyone whose willing to except a buck for his care. She should be ashamed of herself."
NO,you GEM should be ashamed of yourself.Ever had to take complete care of a family member?DID NOT think so.If you had,you'd NEVER make such ignorant statements as the one above.Until you walk in a caregivers shoes,shut your mouth.
Hector

United States

#12 Feb 14, 2008
How could anyone judge the daughter in this case? For shame.
A Person

Atlanta, GA

#15 Feb 14, 2008
Tragic wrote:
I would have rather found my dad in a strait jacket than under a car because he escaped out of the house and got hit.
We don't know the whole story, but with mental illness and needing a full time caretaker he obviously is a handful
You're right. We don't know the whole story. The whole situation is tragic. Who knows what was going on in the father's head? He may have put the caregiver through one heck of an ordeal--being mentally ill, of course, it's not his fault. According to the article, the caregiver had no prior complaints. It could be that this man's case was more extreme than what she had previously experienced. I'm not defending her actions--she was not paid to tie the man up and leave him in an unsanitary room, and if I were the daughter, I would have had her arrested, also. I'm just saying that should have quit working for the family before it came down to this.
Jane

Decatur, GA

#16 Feb 14, 2008
This situation is sad and the caregiver certainly handled things wrong. Her solutions to handling a difficult to control individual were very poor and leaving him unattended moved it to a crime of elder abuse. While certainly I am not going to put blame on his daughter for the acts of the caregiver; I do however think that his daughter could or should have been monitoring his caregiving situation more closely. Unexpected visits may have provided red flags that something was wrong. It is also fortunate that the situation was revealed, due to his escape, before he was seriously hurt. Good, reliable, affordable caregiving situations are scarce. Because of the growing aging population the need for caregiving options time is well past due. Families need help. The caregiver in this situation did wrong and needs to do time. The daughter needs to more closely monitor the caregiving of her father. There are not easy answers.
mike

Lawrenceville, GA

#20 Feb 14, 2008
Ummm - "strait" jacket; as in "tight or narrow".
Ga Boy

Duluth, GA

#23 Feb 15, 2008
How about we put her in a straight jacket, and let her hang from a tree for about 10 days......then send her to prison.
Sick of Stupid

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#24 Feb 15, 2008
The daughter should share in the responsibility here. Just take one look at that caregiver and you'll know she wasn't a good person.
Boomer

United States

#25 Feb 15, 2008
Evidently she did not check on her father very often, if so, she would have been aware of the situation.
KittyMom

Aiken, SC

#27 Feb 15, 2008
What if she were hired to watch a 3 yr old...same difference. This woman was able to do this type of thing because she knew that no one would believe a crazy old man. Makes me wonder how many other of her "patients" were treated in the same manner. Anyone defending her would be capable of the same behavior.
JMO

United States

#28 Feb 15, 2008
Sick and Tired wrote:
The black community can be proud once again for the quality it provides to the elderly. Almost all caretakers that have been charge over the last two years have been black.
As my Mother was dying - a process that took over two years, during which she was an almost total invalid - most of her care was by family members. We were very fortunate that we were able to manage that. But there are times when you do need outside help. We had a woman who helped us out who was truly a Black angel - she cared for my Mother as if she were her own Mother, and Mother loved her dearly. I don't know what we would have done without her.

I was not brought up to judge people by the color of their skin. There is good and bad in every race, color and creed. It is incredible that anyone even needs reminding of that.

Since: Jul 07

Macon, GA

#29 Feb 15, 2008
Sick of Stupid wrote:
The daughter should share in the responsibility here. Just take one look at that caregiver and you'll know she wasn't a good person.
Wow Sick and Stupid, you have the ability to look at someone and determine if they are bad? You may want to join Law Enforcement in some manner to help put those who look "bad" on in prison. Gosh, you must that God every day day for that ability!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawrenceville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 16 min Oh my 55,367
Law Student Charged With Murder (Mar '08) 14 hr ladyluck937 132
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Mon The WB 2,055
Debate: Marijuana - Suwanee, GA (Dec '11) Mon kai 18
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Sep 14 Halftone175 8
Horny Women (Sep '13) Sep 12 The Devil 3
Debate: Marijuana - Snellville, GA (Aug '10) Sep 7 John 19
•••

Lawrenceville News Video

•••
Lawrenceville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Lawrenceville Jobs